Piano Girl

Piano Girl

It was a fine afternoon, after school activities are just about ending and students are making their way home. Moon Byul Yi, a junior, and captain of the girls varsity basketball team was packing up her stuff after their practice as two familiar figures approach her.

 

"Ready to head home?" It was the voice of her underclassman and long time friend Jung Whee In.

 

"Wheenie you have paint on your face..." Byul told her and looked at the other girl beside her seemingly holding back laughter.

 

"What? Where? Hyejin-ah earlier you said there wasn't any paint on my face!" The shorter girl exclaimed as she desperately searched her face for the remnants of paint from her art club activity earlier.

 

"Sorry Wheein-ah you just looked cuter with that smear of paint on your face." Hyejin explained as she took a handkerchief from her pocket and wiped off the paint from Wheein's face.

 

"Unnie leggooo." The two young girls said in unison.

 

"Wait I'm looking for something in my bag." The eldest among the three rummaged though her bag looking for an item that she could not find.

 

"Damn it my Calc book isn't here, I must have left it in my locker. You guys can just go on ahead today, I have to go back inside the main building." She sighed disappointingly.

 

"Are you sure unnie? We can go with you." Hyejin exclaimed.

 

"Nah it's okay, I know you two have tons of homework so you kids head on home." Moonbyul said as she closed her duffel bag and placed the strap on her shoulder.

 

"Okay then if you say so unnie. Take care! We're gonna go now." Wheein said and she and Hyejin walked away waving. Moonbyul waved back and watched them walk away. She then started going her way to the school's main building and soon arrived inside. Everything was quiet, there were no more students, but it didn't creep her out, she was used to being in school late and she found it somewhat calming that a place with hustling and bustling students was also capable of such silence. She got to her locker and to her dismay the said book wasn’t in there.

 

“It’s not here, did I actually leave it on my desk in classroom?” She asked herself as she began walking deeper into the building, heading into the area where her classroom was. Luckily the door to the classroom wasn’t locked yet and there was her book lying out in the open on top of her desk.

 

“I need to stop forgetting about my stuff or else I’ll actually lose them for real.” She sighed as she stuffed the book into her bag. Ready to head home, she walks through the hallways with much haste now as she passes by one empty classroom after another. But something stops her in her tracks. She heard the sound of the piano playing, it was faint but it sounded beautiful. So Moonbyul tried to find the source of this sound and ended up in front of a room. The sound was so much clearer now and to her surprise someone started singing and the melody sounded even more beautiful. She noticed that the door was slightly opened, there was a small gap just enough to see inside the room, curious, she took a peek. And at that moment Byul thought she was dreaming. The open windows invited inside the red and orange rays of the setting sun as it illuminated the grand piano. Her eyes shifted from the piano to the girl playing it, she was also the one singing. She looked as beautiful as she sounded, more even. Her long dark hazel hair slightly danced in the wind as a light breeze came through the window, she looked so surreal. It was as if her melody commanded everything around her. Who is this girl? How come I’ve never seen her before? Byul thought about this, how could she miss such a sight? The girl then closed her eyes while still playing and then smiled. Byul felt her cheeks heat up, the sensation made her snap out of this seemingly other worldly exprerience, it was as if reality slapped her and said you’re not dreaming. And so she smiled then slowly walked away thinking that maybe forgetting her Calc book wasn’t so bad after all.

 

The next day, again after school activities the three friends met up but this time Byul had something else in mind.

 

"Unnie you found your book from yesterday right? Or did you lose it?" Wheein said with a slight sly smile.

 

"Uh yeah I found it. It was in my classroom." She said while shaking her head, recognizing her forgetfulness. 

 

"Oh yeah free ice cream!" Wheein exclaimed like the cute puppy she is.

 

"Did you guys seriously make a bet about me losing my stuff AGAIN?"

 

"Maybe..." Hyejin said as she met Wheein's eyes and both started laughing.

 

"Okay Unnie I'll treat you to ice cream too, as congratulations on not losing your book." Hyejin said with a smile.

 

"Thanks Hyeji but maybe next time, actually you guys go on ahead I have something to err uhm do."

 

"What?" The two younger girls almost say in unison.

 

"You? Say no to free ice cream? And you have no extra activities today don't you?" Hyejin wondered.

 

"Yeah no club stuff it's sorta uhm personal business. Well you guys take care!" Byul quickly exclaimed as she ran towards the school building leaving behind two confused friends. As Byul grew closer to her destination she could hear the piano playing louder. She's there. She thought, and a smile escaped from her lips. And now she stood in front of the door, on the other side was the piano playing and the girl who commands it. She took a deep breathe and mustered up the courage to open the door. And then she finally did, the scene that greeted her was still as magical as the first time she saw it. The girl playing the piano just kept on playing, unaware of Byul’s presence.  So Byul just stood near the door in awe of her playing and appreciating every sound that reached her ears. The piece was coming to an end and then the girl finally stopped playing. Byul felt that this would be a perfect opportunity to introduce herself so she walked closer to girl and started clapping her hands. The piano girl got startled by this unexpected noise and clumsily fell off the chair she was sitting on.

 

“Sorry about that! Are you okay?” Byul got a bit nervous because she didn’t expcect the girl to fall off her seat. A thought popped into her mind but she shoved it deep into the back of her mind. That was so damn cute. She offered her right hand to help up the other girl but she just stared at Byul as if she was some other worldly presence. She didn’t take Byul’s hand but stood up on her own and stared at Byul with her glaring eyes.

 

“How did you get in here? Who are you?”

 

“I’m so sorry if I startled you, I heard you playing and the door was slightly open and I just wanted to hear the song up close.” Byul said with an awkward laugh at the end not sure if her apology would be accepted or if she would get kicked out of the room.

 

“You heard me?” The girl said with an unreadable expression on her face.

 

“Uhm Yeah, you play beautifully by the way.” Byul said again with another awkward laugh. And the fact that the girl was staring at her with piercing eyes didn’t help. Damn she has pretty eyes. 

 

“No one hears me playing in here, how did you find this room?”  

 

“I must have good hearing I guess. I passed by here yesterday and I heard some music, I decided to check it out today, I hope I didn’t interrupt and intrude or anything. My name is Moonbyul by the way.” Wow. Good job. Byul thought to herself, she  was surprised at herself for being able to form words into sentences and managed to introduce herself casually in this high pressure situation.

 

“You see normally people don’t go inside rooms without knocking first. And people don’t usually hear me play. You’re already here so I guess you can stay but you can’t stay for long. And don’t make any noise. Oh and stay far away from me. My name is Yongsun.” Yong almost forgot to introduce herself but managed to remember at the end of what she was trying to say. She looked like she knew how to handle dealing with this other person in the room but she was actually nervous as well but did a good job of hiding it.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Byul smiled brightly. “Okay sure thing I’ll just stay in the corner I promise I won’t bother you.” Byul was stepping backwards showing off that she was quietly gonna go to the corner but because she didn’t look where she was going she accidentally stumbled on a small table and almost tipped over the empty glass vase. But good thing her reflexes were fast and was able to catch it. She then quietely and awkwardly continued walking to the corner now looking were she was going. Yongsun simply rolled her eyes. 

 

“You’re lucky you didn’t break that vase or else I would’ve kicked you out of the room.” Yongsun said as she continued to glare at Moonbyul who put both her hands up acting as if she’s surrendering. 

 

The two girls weren’t together for long, after a couple songs Yongsun asked Moonbyul if she didn’t have a house to go home to since she’s still there and the sun is almost gone. Moonbyul checked her watch and said she actually had to go and asked if it would be okay for her to listen to her play again sometimes. Yongsun nodded in approval and Moonbyul flashed her a bright smile, she said goodbye and then exited the room. It was definitely a wonderful afternoon, she didn’t know what she was feeling but she knew that it was good and it was right. It was lovely.

 

A couple of days had passed and Moonbyul was walking these empty yet familiar halls again. Wheein and Hyejin were away on a school trip for their class so nobody was waiting for her and so she took her time appreciating the shadows on the walls. She could never get tired of how the setting sun shone these warm colors inside the building. Light always finds a way inside. And in her hand she carried a single yellow flower. She arrived at the door and she could hear the piano playing, this made her smile. This time Moonbyul knocked, the playing stopped.

 

“It’s Moonbyul, I’m gonna come in if that’s okay.” Byul went inside and saw Yongsun in front of the piano her hands hovering over the keys.

 

“Sorry if you stopped playing, but I knocked this time!” Byul exclaimed like a little kid.

 

“Well you’re already here, I’m surprised I heard you actually, I’m surprised you came back.” She said with a slight melancholy masked in annoyance.

 

“I wanted to come back but I forgot that I had games over the past two days. I hope I didn’t make you wait.”

 

“Wait? Hah! Nope. No. No. It was quiet just how I like it with no one almost breaking things in the room.” Yongsun then noticed what Moonbyul had in her hand. “What’s that?”

 

“Oh I saw this when I was passed by a flower shop and remembered about the vase, I figured it would look nice with a flower in it. So that the vase wouldn’t be so lonely and you’ll have another one in your audience.” Byul let out a small chuckle because in her mind she thought: And also because it’s a sunflower, get it SUNflower YongSUN. I’m so funny. Then Moonbyul noticed that Yongsun had smiled for the first time since she met her.

 

“Thank you.” Yongsun said and quickly turned away from Moonbyul. The flower was now in the vase and Moonbyul poured some water in it from her water flask. 

 

“Earlier you said you had games. What do you play?” Yongsun was finally initiating a conversation.

 

“I play basketball, captain of the girls team actually. How about you? You look like you’re in the student council or something and I mean that in like a good way.”

 

“Me? Asides from these four walls, nothing much. Somehow the music is enough.”

 

“How about when you were a kid? What sort of interests did you have?” Byul was now invested in the conversation, Yongsun had finally responded to her in a friendly manner and she wanted to know more.

 

“Why are you suddenly asking me about my childhood?”

 

“It’s just a thing I like asking people, I think childhood memories are interesting and fun. Like when I was in first grade I had a pet worm that I found in the school grounds and kept in my pencil box, I named him Wormy. Well turned out Wormy was actually a piece of string, but I still consider him as my first pet.” Moonbyul had an innocent smile on her face as she was telling this small piece of her childhood. And to her surprise Yongsun was laughing.

 

“Okay that was interesting, good for you. As for me, the piano I guess. I spent most of my life infront of these keys. I wanted to make my parents proud, and they were, they loved me very much but I was still trying to prove something to myself. Until now I’m not entirely sure what. Life just flashed by without me doing anything else.” The laughter had now turned into a gloomy mood.

 

“Hey it’s never too late you know, there’s more things waiting out there in the great big world!” Moonbyul exclaimed with passion.

 

“Maybe for you. I think I’ll start playing now.” And so Yongsun played a sad sounding song but she noticed Moonbyul slightly frowning so she played a happy song next. After the two songs Yongsun told Byul that that was her share of listening today. Moonbyul left the room with a smile because she knew she was gonna be back.

 

Over the week Moonbyul had been going to the room everyday. She figured out a way to go there, be at practice, and hang out with Wheein and Hyejin. Since Yongsun only played a couple songs Byul didn’t have to worry about overstaying. These moments were short but it was just the two of them alone in the room with music filling the silence of what was unsaid. It was enough. They would talk before Yongsun started playing, about how Moonbyul has three corgis at her home, how Yong grew up with their pet dog, Byul also shared how she had taken a liking to photography and jokingly asked Yongsun to be the subject of her photos. This week was one of the happiest Byul had been, there was just something about this girl that made her feel all warm inside. By the end of the week Byul couldn’t help but feel a bit down, it’s gonna be basketball season again and she’s not gonna have much time to listen to Yongsun play.

 

“Hi uh I brought some flowers today, for the vase again, I brought a lot this time so that the flowers would have friends with them.”  Moonbyul said with a faint smile.

 

“Thanks again.” Yongsun also was in low spririts.

 

“So what are you gonna play today? You never run out of new songs to play and that’s just amazing.” Byul tried to lift up the mood of the room. It didn’t help that outside the rain started to pour.

 

“Moonbyul...”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Never mind...”

 

“Okay, uhm by the way I think I won’t be able to come here for a couple weeks, it’s basketball season again and my schedule is gonna be packed. It’s gonna be tiring.” Byul said this casually as if she was just merely complaining about how much responsibility she had. “But, don’t think you’re gonna get rid of me I’m gonna be back I swear, I’m not gonna let you off that easily. Your audience awaits or the other way around yeah.”

 

“Oh I see, Goodluck, break a leg, but not like literally!” Yong gave Byul a smile.

 

“Hey if you don’t have anything going on maybe you can watch a game or two you know to support the school and stuff. And maybe we can grab some coffee after, I know this nice little shop near where I get the flowers and they have nice little live acoustic sessions, I think you’ll like it.” Byul let go of these words easily, of course she did, she had already practiced it again and again in her head.

 

“Sounds nice, I wish I could, but I can’t go. Sorry.”  Yongsun felt bad about rejecting the offer, but she couldn’t accept it, she’d rather say no to Byul now rather than keep her hopes up. She liked the girl, she made her time in that room actually happy. She was just glad she was able to share those moments with Moonbyul.

 

“It’s okay it’s okay, I totally get it. You’re probably busy too right? Since it’s competition season not only for basketball but also for other extra curricular, you probably have music stuff. Sorry that didn’t really register in my head.” Byul let out a short laugh. 

 

“Yeah something like that.” Yongsun was again smiling at Moonbyul but it wasn’t a genuinely happy smile, there was some melancholy in there. 

 

“Well I guess we’ll see each other again in a couple weeks then!” Moonbyul innocently exclaimed.

 

“I’m gonna play something a little different this time Moonbyul, l’ll only play one song, I actually wrote this one so... here goes.” Yongsun stared at Moonbyul before she started playing. She stared at her with such intensity as if Yongsun was trying to imprint Moonbyul into her eyes. What followed next was the most beautiful thing Yongsun had ever played for Byul.

 

[https://youtu.be/cnYM6YweUXA]

 

The song gave off a warm and calm feeling like you’re being enveloped in a loved one’s embrace. Byul started to remember all the moments they shared in that room. It was short but in that short period of time she had finally found something she never knew she needed. She didn’t realize music could make her feel that way, she didn’t know that this girl she met just a few weeks ago could make her feel something, something weird, but something good. It was geniune. And Moonbyul started to think about more memories she’s gonna make in this room. Soon the song ending had started. As Yongsun finished off the last note tears began to fall from her eyes but she quickly wiped them off. 

 

“Uh sorry that song just makes me all emotional, I didn’t mean this to be sad or anything.” Yongsun wanted Byul to hear this song, it meant a lot to her. It was a bit sad but it was beautiful.

 

“It’s okay, I think that was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life.” Moonbyul was smiling but she had tears in her eyes. “That was lovely. Thank you.”

 

“No. Thank you. I guess this is goodbye.” Yongsun was smiling but it was clear she was holding back tears.

 

“Yeah goodbye for today, I’ll be back Yongsun, I’ll be back. See you later.” The two girls smiled at each other and soon it was time for Moonbyul to leave. It’s just gonna be two weeks right, no need to be dramatic. Byul told herself this because she knew that the music doesn’t just fade like that, it just doesn’t.

 

After the seemingly long two weeks Moonbyul excitedly walks towards that room with the piano and the girl who plays it. Her team brought home the big prize and made those two weeks to totally worth it. She brought more flowers this time, she knew it would somehow make Yongsun happy and it was her way of sharing the happiness she felt. Today is gonna be good. Byul thought, Yongsun would play a cheerful song to congratulate her, she couldn’t contain her excitement. She was too excited that she didn’t notice that she was already in front of the door. That’s odd. There was no music playing. And so she knocked and hoped to be welcomed by a familiar figure but the room was empty. No piano, no Yongsun, and no music in the air. 

 

“They must have moved the piano...” Moonbyul then noticed the empty vase that used to hold all the flowers she brought, and so she put the fresh ones inside. That way Yongsun will know I was here. But Byul didn’t settle, she went outside the room and started walking, she didn’t know where she was gonna go but she wanted to know if Yongsun was anywhere else on the building. And so she walked hallways and hallways but nothing. It was already dark so she figured she’ll just head home and come back tomorrow. As she was walking down the stairs she noticed an old man struggling up the stairs carrying a big rectangular bag.

 

“Excuse me Sir do you need any help?”

 

“Oh yes please if you would be so kind.” The old man was clearly tired and too weak to carry this big thing by himself. They walked up the stairs and through some hallways into a room filled with instruments.

 

“Thank you dear, but you better head home it’s getting dark, students are supposed to be heading home now.” The old man opened the big rectangular bag and began to assemble its contents, it looked something like a bazooka, Byul couldn’t help but stare. The old man noticed this and said:

 

“This is a bassoon. A peculiar looking instrument isn’t it?”

 

“Sir is this the school music room?” Moonbyul was curious, maybe Yongsun was here.

 

“Well yes it is and I am the senior adviser of the music club.”

 

“Do you happen to have a grand piano here Sir? I saw one in another room somewhere in the school building and I was wondering where it is since it’s not in the same room anymore.”

 

“Ah that grand piano, the school had one yes. But it was merely for display, that’s what you probably saw. It was a beautiful piano, it was donated to the school by the Kim family after their daughter passed away. Their daughter was my student actually, she played the piano very beautifully. It’s been three years but I still remember that last song she composed. Oh sorry about that an old man can’t help but be nostalgic.”

 

“What happened to the piano Sir? And the girl?” Moonbyul got a bit nervous but she tried not to think too much about it. Weird. What an odd coincidence. I guess the Kim clan is musically inclined, I wonder if she’s Yongsun’s relative. Byul told herself.

 

“A couple of weeks ago the principal and the Kim family decided to auction the piano for charity. The proceeds went to children suffering from anemia, a noble cause to remember Kim Yongsun on her 3rd year of passing.”

 

“Kim Yongsun?” Byul gulped.

 

“Yes that was her name, that’s her right there.” He pointed at a framed class picture on the wall, and pinpointed a girl that looked the Yongsun Moonbyul knew. Somehow Moonbyul felt that it really was the met and knew.

 

“I see, Sir. I better get going now, like you said it’s getting dark.”

 

The next day Moonbyul went back to the room where she met Yongsun. It was empty still. But she came again with flowers, this time maybe it meant something else but they were still for Yongsun nonetheless. Moonbyul took a deep breath and began talking to think air.

 

“Hi Yongsun, I don’t know if you’re still here but I just wanted to say a few words. You’re kinda unfair you know just appearing then disappearing from my life just like that.” She let out a small laugh.

 

“But I guess I just wanted to say thank you, it was really nice. I’ll never forget your playing, how could one even forget about it in the first place. Maybe if we existed in a different time and place we could have been actual friends. I hope there’s a version of us out there that’s laughing about some stupid joke right at this moment. I’m gonna continue living my life remembering you, I’m gonna learn how to play the piano, I know I’ll never be half as good as you but I feel like by doing this I’ll know you better. I guess that’s it. Catch you later Yongsun.” And so Moonbyul left the silent room with a new found passion to find the music herself and maybe someday she’ll hear Yongsun speaking in between the melodies.