Chapter 15: The Phone, the Sacrifice, and the Ankle.

When In Seoul...

---Sunny’s POV---

   After we helped the maids clean the mess, Yuri and Sungmin’s friends left the house.

   “Okay, this is, by far, the greatest dinner I have had since Christmas ’08.” Yuri said ecstatically before leaving. She hugged me tightly. “Sorry for not helping you enough. See you tomorrow.

   “Oh, please. You’ve helped me too much.” It was my turn to fake a smile. “Annyeong.” I closed the door and sighed heavily.

   “You’re going to be in big trouble tomorrow, Lee Sunkyu.” Sungmin said, drinking milk. It was kind of his habit to drink milk before going to bed and after waking up.

   “You don’t think I know? I said in a tired way.

   I went upstairs to apologize to umma, but when I got in front of her bedroom door, I heard her conversation with her personal maid, Nayeong.

   “I wish Sungmin’s friend was right.” Umma said. “I wish Sunny put a potion or something to make it tasty…Nayeong, I tasted her dish. Do you know what it tasted like?”

   “I don’t wanna know, Madam.” Nayeong said. Gosh, was it really THAT horrible?

   Umma just sighed heavily. “And in the next few weeks, and some relatives of mine are having a reunion here and they want Sunny to cook. And if they find out that I gave birth to a cursed child, my reputation will be going way down...Gosh, she’s a problem!”

   My eyes widened. I was a problem? Seriously, that was too much. I could take the “You’re so terrible at cooking” and “You’re name is for an ahjumma”, but what umma said? Did she really have to say that? If I was a big of a problem, then why did she even find me? I didn’t know why, but I started to get teary-eyed.

   I just stormed out of the hallway. I went to the swimming pool and walked to the edge. It was my first time going near the edge of a pool because I couldn’t swim and I have a phobia with them. It was so quiet. Everything was silent and peaceful. But I suddenly heard a voice behind saying, “What are you doing here?”.

   Lee Sungmin.

   “Leave me alone.” I coldly said while still walking on the edge. “I don’t have time for your narcissistic talk right now…”

   I didn’t even know how I was talking. My mind was somewhere else. All that I was thinking was why was I even brought to this house? Heck, why was I brought to this world? Nobody, not even my foster mother, cared for me. She gave me away to a clean freak woman whom I supposed to call ‘umma’. I knew I was being overdramatic and all, but I can’t help it. I think I should just kill myself. NO ONE WILL CARE, ANYWAY.

   But every time I tell myself that no one cares, there’s always something that tells me one person does.

   “Yah…don’t think of this as praise, but…” Sungmin said hesitantly. And even if I wasn’t looking, I knew that he was holding the back of his neck. It was one of his mannerisms. “I ‘accidentally’ ate the dessert you made…and it was, well, good.”

   Okay, I didn’t see that coming. I was about to say, “Stop doing do that!”, but instead, I slipped and fell in the pool. I hit the water backwards. The feeling was as if there were a million sharks eating up my back and the water was colder than I thought, but I didn’t care. Well, I kinda cared for my health. I didn’t wanna get a cold after this, which was pretty impossible, since the water was so bone-chilling cold.

   But the coldness wasn’t the only thing that I felt. I couldn’t see anything, except the blurry lights from outside the pool and a person’s reflection. Wait—who was I talking to right before I slipped? Omo, did I hit my brain when I fell?! If I did, where’s the blood?

   Seriously, though. While I was in the pool, it felt really good. Yeah, it was cold. But it was peaceful and quiet. And for a second there, I totally forgot how cold the water was.

Next thing I knew, there was a splash. I couldn’t recognize who it was, since my vision was slowly becoming dark.

   Then I completely passed out.

---Sooyoung’s POV---

(The Next Day)

   Why is it always boring in our house every weekend? Jaejoong always told me that it was because our house was too big and there were only the two of us who were living there (umma lives in another province and appa was travelling around the world), but I think it was because the house looked too plain.

   My thinking stopped when I suddenly glanced at the phone that I saw on the sidewalk when I was taking a walk near my favorite place.

   I didn’t know whose phone was it, but all I know was that the person knows Tiffany because the phone’s wallpaper was a picture of her making a snowman, or something.

   I checked the phone’s inbox and it was empty. I also checked the contacts and saw a lot of familiar names. There’s our math teacher, the biology teacher, Tiffany, Jessica, Jaejoong, Taeyeon, and other people.

   But I was wondering, why wasn’t my number here? All my friends’, even Jaejoong’s number, was here. Gosh, did this person had some grudge with m, or something?

   I tried calling Jaejoong and see if he knows the number. I went to his room and checked if it was ringing.

   Ring, ring.

   He wasn’t answering it, so I opened his bedroom door.

   “Yah—“ I thought he was sleeping, but instead I saw him just looking at the caller ID. “Yah, why aren’t you answering your phone?”

   “Why the hell would I?” He angrily said and threw his phone. He sighed heavily and laid down on his bed. I sat on the edge of the bed.

   “Tell me what happened…” I poked his muscular arms while saying this.

   “He’s the reason why Tiffany left me in the middle of our date last night...and there I was, planning to give her this.” He showed me a simple, yet very beautiful necklace.

   “Wow!” I was awed. It makes me want to steal it! “You know, this is—well, was the first thing that you were gonna give to her that isn’t from my room.”

   “Whoopee.” Jaejoong coldly said. He stood up and put the necklace in his personal trash can. I gasped. How could he just throw something like that?! Just because he has all of appa’s money… “I didn’t even know that they were a ‘thing’.”

   “W—wait.” I think I missed something. “Who’s…he?” So that means that the phone that I was holding for minutes now belongs to a guy…who has something special with Tiffany.

   “Yunho. You know, Jung Yunho. Tiffany’s ‘long-time friend’.” He said ‘long-time friend like it was quoted.

   “Jung Yunho…?” So, Yunho is in love with Tiffany? Oh, this is definitely going in my diary.

   Jaejoong sighed again. “I’m gonna watch TV…you coming?” He said as he stood up.

   “No. All you watch is soccer.” I said, standing up and going towards the trash can.

   “All you watch is Music Bank.” He fired back. I just stuck my tongue out and at the same time, I found the necklace and wiped off the dirt on its pendant.

---Key’s POV---

   “Hyung, you don’t even have time for me anymore!” Taemin said from the phone. You’re always with Jessica noona and that guy who looks like he came from Men In Black.”

   “Whoa, Key, I didn’t know Taemin could act.” Jessica chuckled while painting her nails. We were both at an empty hallway and we were sitting on a grey couch with an unknown person (maybe a staff). “Heck, he’s an even better actor than you are.”

   “Gumawo, noona!” Taemin happily said, obviously hearing Jessica. I just rolled my eyes and tried to get rid of my annoying little brother.

   “Don’t worry, I’ll be back before midnight~!” I said with my cheer up tone. “Annyeong!” Then I hung up.

   Jessica laughed. “He’s your younger brother, but he acts more like your mother.” She won’t stop laughing, even though I didn’t find anything that was so funny. I just laughed with her, but kept a weird expression.

   “How would you know a mother’s attitude when you never even had one?” I said. But she completely stopped laughing and even stopped painting her nails. Why did I even say that? It just randomly came out of my mouth, and I felt so guilty!

   It was an awkward moment. Really.

   “There you are!” Mr. Song, the PD of the show, said while walking towards us. He was with one woman in her late 20’s and a cute little chubby kid, maybe 2 years old, or something. “Meet Lee Minjae, the 12 month old kid that you’ll be taking care of starting tomorrow…on air!”

   “Wait, what?!” Jessica was so shocked that she didn’t even noticed punching the person beside her.

   “He said we will take care of him,” I pointed at the kid—whose name was Minjae— and continued, “Starting tomorrow.”

   “I know what he said, and what I said was just a—“ I cut Jessica’s sentence because she was obviously boring everyone.

   “Yeah, yeah. We all know what you said.” I pretended to yawn.

   And again, there was a moment of silence.

   “Yeah, anyway, in that show, you will portray as the parents of the kid…well, not necessarily parents. If you couldn’t think of yourself as his parents, then think of it as babysitting; only you’ll do it for a hundred days and there’ll be lots of cameras following you.”

   I was excited. It’s like having a younger brother…only, he’ll call me…’appa’. Jessica was so speechless. I know her complain will arrive in 5…4…3…2…

   “WHAT?!” She shrieked. “S—so…I’m going to spend Christmas w-with a little k-kid whom I’ve known for like…3 miinutes?!”

   Mr. Song sighed, trying to make Jessica feel guilty. Again. “Fine, we’ll just terminate your contract as soon as we can and you’ll go back to your normal life…”

   “Yeah, that’s a good idea.” Jessica said, hyperventilating. “You should do it without mme, right Key?!”

   “Um…I don’t think he could and will…” Mr. Song added. “Because once we terminate your contract, Kibum’s will be terminated, too.”

   I hope that that PD was just overreacting, because I NEED THIS! I’m already beginning to achieve my lifelong dream and I’m not gonna let some drama queen named Jessica stop me! If she refuses to go on with the show, I’LL TOTALLY MURDER HER. Celebrity style.

   “B-but…” Jessica looked at me sympathetically. She just sighed and pinched herself (the thing she does whenever she sacrifices something for someone). “Fine. See you tomorrow.” She bowed sluggishly at Mr. Song and Minjae’s mother and she waved at Minjae.

---Eunhyuk’s POV---

   What do I do on weekends? As usual, at 6:00 am, I go to the park near us and read some comics, then at 7:00 am I go to school and enter the dance room, where I’ll see Hyoyeon glaring at me with fire in her eyes.

   “Annyeong!” I said to her (she was still glaring at me). “I didn’t see you at the dinner last night.”

   “I’m thankful I didn’t go.” Hyoyeon said. She stopped staring at me and started warming up. “Yuri said it was a mess.”

   “Yup. The food tasted like metal.” I jokingly said, though it was real. I sat on the corner and watched her warm up. “Don’t tell Sunny.”

   She just laughed. That was the first time that I saw her smile. I didn’t know why, but I started smiling and laughing at the same time when I saw that. I wish she would greet me with that face, just for once. My day becomes like hell whenever she looks at me like I was a monster, or something.

   Hyoyeon suddenly tripped and hit her left arm on the ground. “Ow.”

   “A-are you okay?” I asked, helping her get up. “Is your arm hurt?”

   “Aish…seriously, you ask too much questions, Monkey.” Hyoyeon said while holding her arm. “My arm is better than okay, thanks for asking. But my ankle seriously hurts.”

   She sat on the floor and checked it. I held it and it looked really bruised. “Ouch! Don’t touch it!”

   “Yah. You can whine all day, but I’m known in my own school for recognizing ankle and feet injuries. And your ankle is pretty much…bad.” I said, still examining her ankle.

   “Can we just go to the clinic?” She said. “It’s just five rooms away.”

   She tried to stand up, but the pain would just worsen, from the looks of it. She let out a swear word under her breath after many failed tries.

   I sighed. “Do I have to do this again?” I said as I sit and piggybacked her. We went out and started finding the clinic (I was new, remember?). When we found it, the door was unlocked, but no one was there, so we waited in there.

   “By the way, what did you do last Tuesday, after hurting your ankle?” I asked, wondering why her ankle hadn’t recovered yet.

   “I…danced again…?” Hyoyeon hesitantly said.

   “There we go, problem solved.” I sarcastically said. “Why did you go back to the freaking dance floor even when your ankle was already injured?”

   “I didn’t know it was that serious!” She defended. “And who are you to ban me from dancing that night?”

   “Fine…” I leaned on the wall, annoyed at her. “It’s your loss, anyway.”

   “What do you mean ‘my loss’?”

   “If your ankle got damaged too badly, it will take you weeks to recover, and you’re trying to get that award thing, right? Well—“

   “If I miss one dance class, I won’t get it…” Hyoyeon swore again.

 

I have new subscribers -- YAY! xD

We finished our third quarterly exams earlier today, so I'm gonna have more time to write~ :DD Sorry if there's no poster. Every time I edit the title, it always says that I don't have enough memory in my PC, so yeah. I need to delete irrelevant things so I could finish editing and post it here. :|

Anyway, wait for the next chapter! There's gonna be POVs of Yunho, Taeyeon, Yuri, and Yoona. ^^

Thanks for subscribing and reading and stuff. :)