Chapter 23: Princes and Princesses of Two Lands

Scarlet Dandelions (Editing in progress)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Any residual tension in the air after the competition was quickly dissipated and the peace treaty between the two countries were successfully renewed. This time round, however, there had been several unordinary requests from the Great Son to the Emperor Bae. Prince Sehun and Prince Chanyeol had requested to learn the culture of the Han people and be a part of the Bae court.

Seungwan almost choked on her mutton whilst Taeyeon had tensed up when the request was made during the dinner.   

 

“Sehun! What is the meaning of this?” Seungwan confronted her brother agitatedly in the horse stables, Joohyun and Seulgi had followed Seungwan closely behind.

The prince had a ghost of a smile lingering on his face and had rid off his fur clothes. “Shhh… not so loud. My mare is in labour.”

Indeed, the grunts that came from the horse told Seungwan that the mare was deep in labour.

“Li’En is giving birth?” Seulgi who was behind them asked softly.

Seungwan turned to the palace maid. How did Seulgi know the name of her brother’s mare?

Sehun his lips excitedly as he rolled up his sleeves. “Sister, you are of no help here, I cannot order you nor Princess Joohyun around, why don’t you leave your palace maid, Seulgi, here with me to help out. We will speak later, at night. Go somewhere with Princess Joohyun first.”

Dismissed by her brother in the crudest way, Seungwan was slightly flabberghasted. Perhaps it was for the better, Joohyun and Seulgi should not be here during their talks anyway and so, Seungwan led Joohyun away from the stables according to her brother’s wishes.

 

They were in the field of dandelions again. Despite the cold, Joohyun had removed her shoes and ran across it. Dandelion seeds flew and the sight of it was mesmerising, Joohyun’s chime-like giggles filled the air and Seungwan’s heart along with it. Seungwan snapped back to attention later. Worrying for the courtly princess, Seungwan ran closely behind, holding the princess’s shoes.  

“I am going to miss this place,” Joohyun said with a piteous sigh when she stopped running.

Seungwan halted as well and gave a small sad smile of her own. “I am going to miss it too.”

Joohyun then turned and wrapped her arms around Seungwan’s neck whilst Seungwan held the courtly princess by her waist. “Thank you, Seungwan, for bringing me to this beautiful place.”

Seungwan felt her heart swell and she dove in to connect her lips with Joohyun’s soft ones. “And I thank you for loving this place as much as I do, princess.”

“Of course I would love it, I came here with you,” Joohyun said with ridicule in her tone.

Seungwan gave a half shrug and bent down. “Come on now, put on your shoes. The ground is freezing cold.”

Joohyun playfully back stepped away. “I want to feel the ground beneath my feet for a longer time.”

Still in her crouching position, Seungwan hopped forward and glared up fiercely at the courtly princess who was behaving stubbornly. Holding Joohyun by her ankle, Seungwan scolded, “look, your toes are turning red! I am helping you put on your shoes now, stay still.”

Joohyun giggled in such a childlike manner that it was hard for Seungwan to think that her companion of a princess had already matured into a woman. Joohyun’s ankles were so delicately slender and Seungwan could so easily wrap her hand around it. Every part of Joohyun was beautiful and Seungwan took care into lifting the princess’s right foot and putting on her shoe. After the right was done, Seungwan did the same with the other. 

 

Joohyun had squatted down to be level with her and taken the Mongolian princess by surprise by pushing her over. As Seungwan fell over, Joohyun dove towards her and laid atop her Mongolian princess, laughing harder at the annoyed expression on Seungwan’s face.

“Childish.” Seungwan said, yet her arms still wound itself tenderly around Joohyun’s waist.

“But you love it.” Joohyun said with the arrogance she had learnt from Seungwan.

Donning the smirk that Joohyun loved so much, Seungwan gave her acknowledgement.

“You will be going back to your court sessions once we have returned,” Seungwan stated, a bit of regret in her voice.

“And you will be busy building up your unorthodox organisation with my royal brothers,” Joohyun pointed out.

Seungwan scoffed and squeezed Joohyun’s waist, eliciting a yelp from the courtly princess. “Unorthodox organisation?!”

“Spare me my life, your highness,” Joohyun cried playfully and felt the hold around her relaxing.

Sighing in contentment, Joohyun buried her face in Seungwan’s hair. Earlier, the princesses had been troubled about the decision of Prince Sehun and Prince Chanyeol joining the Bae court but now they had casted such worries aside. They could afford some time to themselves and woe about the possible impacts of such a move later.

“Joohyun, what would have become of us if we had not met each other?” Seungwan mused aloud.

“I would probably have already died,” Joohyun said bluntly and saw the severe expression on Seungwan’s face.

“Be serious, Princess Joohyun.”

“I am serious. You are the main reason why I have lived to the age of eighteen and am healthy and alive. So do not ask me to imagine a world where you and I have not met,” Joohyun said indignantly.

Conceding to Joohyun’s point, Seungwan nodded. “Joohyun, you have become the most important person in my life too but you already know that, don’t you?”

Joohyun craned her neck towards Seungwan for their lips to connect. “I know. And I love you Son Seungwan. Promise me you will be safe.”

“Of course, Bae Joohyun. And you will promise me to not stay up every night reading those proposals of yours.”

Joohyun’s cheeks heated upon hearing Seungwan’s words. She had often chided the Mongolian princess for being too ambitious but perhaps she too, shared the same trait as well. “Okay.”

“Anyway, why do you think Seulgi knows the mare’s name?” Seungwan asked abruptly.

Joohyun shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“She is your palace maid,” Seungwan said.

Joohyun clucked her tongue and pinched Seungwan’s arm. “She may be my palace maid but she follows you around more often and is at your beck and call.”

Embarrassed about the fact that Joohyun was right, Seungwan argued no more and settled for asking Seulgi later.

**

After eight long hours, the foal was finally born. Both the mare and the foal were well. Meanwhile, Prince Sehun and Seulgi were exhausted.

“P-Prince Sehun, may I ask you a question?” Seulgi asked cautiously.

“If it is with regards to why I offered to serve in the Bae court then you may keep the question to yourself.” Prince Sehun replied coolly and heard the palace maid gasp.

“I-I’m sorry,” Seulgi said, fearing that she might have angered the prince.

Putting on a most charming smile, Prince Sehun said, “I would say the same to both my sisters should they be the one to ask.”

Seulgi wanted to ask for the reason but was afraid that she might not be getting her answers again and so she kept silent.

Silence hung heavily in the air before the prince finally spoke again, “affairs of two countries, they are not that easily understood and even one misstep can cause the lives of innocent people. Besides, Seulgi, you serve my younger sister and I do not believe she has only assigned you mere duties of a palace maid, I watched your duel with Seungwan. You were pretty good.”

Seulgi blushed like a maiden and felt embarrassed at her own reaction.

“Princess Seungwan has trained me well…”

Prince Sehun raised a brow. “Your skills could not have been only been imparted from my sister but I shall not probe you about that. I am certain my sister would have already interrogated you or I will be massively disappointed in her.”

The colour on Seulgi’s cheek stayed. She should have expected this. Princess Seungwan was ingenious and she often spoke about how she and Prince Sehun would caused the most mischief amongst the royal siblings so Prince Sehun must be a ver

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter