Curiosity

Give me your Hand

The interior was breathtaking and Jeongyeon couldn’t help but sputter around, eyes blinking rapidly in complete awe.

 

“I can’t believe you and your family live here?!” Momo expression remained mundane as she pulled her long raven hair, tying it up into a ponytail.

 

“It’s mainly just me and the maids. My parents rarely come.” Jeongyeon merely nodded and followed Momo into a hallway that exposed the massive living room space. Even the glass wall spewing glimmering lights of the city left her in a mumbling mess. The younger one giggled soft laugh as though she found the blonde's reaction hilarious. It secretly did ease Jeongyeons worries, glancing over her shoulder, she caught sight of Momo’s heartwarming smile.  

 

She didn’t realize it then, that night, took an edge off of every chaotic need and wants she pursued until it was only them, enjoying the everlasting silences each wrapped themselves with. Though not breaking the atmosphere, Momo gestured her to the grey-toned couches that stretched and took a great amount of space in the room. Jeongyeon simply compiled.

 

“Did you want anything to drink?” came Momo’s voice from ahead as she left for the kitchen. She slowed her steps, turning halfway to regard Jeongyeon needs. She simply received a ‘no thank you’ accompanied by a weak smile. Obviously, the lack of sleep was drawing quicker than expected. Momo continued in a small voice, “I’ll be right back then.”

 

Jeongyeon ignored her heavy, almost droopy, eyes to watch past the large window. Acknowledging the city lights were undeniably beautiful if it weren't for some certain images of events that occurred today, constantly obscuring herself. Especially the dealings. The girl had misjudged her paranoia.

 

‘Unbelievable. Something as simple as a bargaining deal terrifies me. Even greater than a gun pointing straight to my head. How pathetic.’

 

Reassuring herself had submissively lost its taste. Even draining out any once of energy she had left.  She groaned in the futile attempt to reposition herself. It wasn't exactly a bed but it did accommodate its purpose.  

 

The blonde's breath still quivered. Possibly from the lack of a blanket. Though she didn't care much. Her eyes shut shortly after, it didn't take. long for sleep to take over.


 

...

 

The early morning sun peeked through the bluish pink sky. Its bright rays eased Jeongyeon's eyes open hazily. While rubbing them to get rid of the drowsiness she notices the soft presence of a blanket that clothed her lower body. The thought of falling asleep so easily before Momo could return was embarrassing. Though, she couldn’t help smiling like an idiot. The morning suddenly felt warming. She sighed happily beneath the soft blanket. Her smile plastered wider from the touch of the blankets fabric. She realized how creepy her action was but nonetheless had her own free will-

 

“Someone’s having a good dream” Panic was an understatement to Jeongyeon’s poorly handled sanity. Not only had she stood up a bit too aggressively, but she also kept stuttering nonsense.

 

Given at first, Momo didn’t realize about Jeongyeon’s several past encounters with nightmares. This nights probably being another.

 

“Did something happen? Did you have a nightmare?!” Momo thoughtfulness immediately went straight to the worse case possible, oblivious to Jeongyeon growing blush.

 

Panicking, the older girl immediately brushed the topic away

 

“Today’s Monday right?” Checking her phone, Jeongyeon didn’t waste any second, clutching her things for Momo to interrupt.

 

“You clearly aren’t attentive in class” Jeongyeon face twisted in confusion and it was too early in the morning for Momo to be agitated. “There’s no school today since the teachers are getting taught.” A long pause. She expected a laugh. “...Anyway I wanted to give you this”

 

Momo slipped out a neatly folded paper from her back pocket, with slight hesitation, handing it into Jeongyeon’s hands.

 

“Chaeyoung gave me this before we left her house. She advised me to wait but I felt like you needed it. I mean. Do you?” She ridiculed light-heartedly but Jeongyeon was fast enough to jump in.

 

“Thank you. I do need this I mean- Seungyeon gets involved in too much however this is clear evidence. It’s not gonna be simplistic but those two are unquestionably going to jail—” Momo’s head whipped starling Jeongyeon a bit.

 

“Wait what do you mean ‘those two’? You know my dads involved with this right? I mean— how would you possibly do this”

 

Jeongyeon scoffed bashfully, “No offence, but your dad’s not innocent either. Intriguing enough, I thought you hated him.”

 

“He’s still my dad—”

 

“Well she’s also my god damn sister!” She didn't mean to scream that loud.

 

Jeongyeon let out a shaky sigh, neglecting to look back into Momo’s eyes. She’s gone too far in without a way out.

 

“What do you want me to do Momo?” her voice tempered though still frustrated.

 

Jeongyeon felt betrayed. No matter how far her friendship (of some sort) with Momo went, it is as if everything so private in her life meant nothing to her. This is surely not how she wanted her Monday morning to start off.

 

Momo kept stiff. Her face structured an unreadable look. Still was evident that from the hushed curses under her breath that she had no idea how to answer that question.

 

“Momo. You knew this was going to happen and I’m sorry but at the same time I’m not. He deliberately involved himself in something I took no part in.” Jeongyeon scoffed quietly. “I don’t even want you to involve yourself. Both my sister and your father are freakishly rich who submissively get what they want. It’s best if I do this alone.”

 

Momo nodded

 

“No”

 

“What?” Jeongyeon frown grew deeper. She passive-aggressively stepped closer to where the latter was standing.

 

“—I don’t know. Believe me, I was stubborn to help you but after hearing about my father’s involvement, I got to thinking…. what’s gonna happen to m—” Momo cuts herself off, “. That sounded so selfish”

 

“No. No, it doesn’t” the oldest answered honestly

 

The distance drew closer. Jeongyeon soothed Momo’s knuckles, trying to smooth down the pain as she worriedly looked in the latter's deep brown eyes. Thinking back to this, she’d never gotten so emotionally attached to anyone before. But at that moment, it didn’t feel overwhelming. Instead oddly relieving. She cared so much for her so quickly without realizing.

 

After what felt like hours of a sweet minute. Momo wiped her tears just enough to look back into Jeongyeon’s eye.

 

“Families are important but not like this. So... I’m doing this with you” Sniffing, she reached up to wipe her nose with the sleeve of her shirt. “God I’m so ing dramatic,” she said with an apologetic laugh.

 

Confused. Jeongyeon wondered out loud, “Should I laugh in this situation?”

 

Momo snorted cutely and then continued to stifle a laugh which Jeongyeon didn’t need to be asked twice to join.

 

Following that emotionally draining hour of their lives, the rest of their Monday was spent cooped up in Momo’s house, playing video games whilst discussing all sorts.

 

Barely did they bring up the topic that they agreed would be dealt with later.

 

Ten rounds of Call of Duty and a few too many energy drinks later, Jeongyeon finally accepted defeat. She despised losing but seeing Momo bouncing around sporadically in joy was enough said for her to continue her losing streak.

 

Once the girls eventually called it quits, Momo’s phone vibrated, showing a bright screen with the name ‘Penguin’ written across.


 

“Gimme a second” she hurried off giving Jeongyeon the opportunity to check her phone. She hadn’t realized how ‘off the grid’ she was until she picked her phone to see countless missed calls and text messages from Dahyun and Nayeon.

 

“What?” Deciding to call Dahyun first.

 

“What do you mean ‘what’? Where are you?” Jeongyeon could audibly hear bickering on the other line between Dahyun and Nayeon for the phone.

 

“You guys are being obsessive. I’m—” was it worth the tease if she informed them where she was. It was clear as crystal that her friends knew, and continuously ridiculed, her interaction with Momo during the past couple of days. Jeongyeon was exactly the bare minimum to having a social life and them being contagiously nosy was a constant side effect. But the followed up questions she would receive could go endlessly. So she decided no.

 

“I’m home right now” Jeongyeon lied bluntly. The response withered immediately and soon enough Nayeon voice filled her ears.

 

“Ok—oh also tell Momo that Mrs. Kim is moving the test next week. Tell me all the details later byeee ” her voice lowered in the last part.  

 

“Gotcha—wait how-” her sentence was cut off by a humming beep.

 

‘Chaeyoung you actual snake, you're definitely getting some.’

 

Reminiscing strands of hair were pulled behind her ear lobe, her usual habit, she proceeded to the couch where Momo was enthusiastically talking on the phone. The latter was clearly interacting in Japanese since everything she said was foreign to Jeongyeons ears.

 

Unbothered, the blonde still intently listened to Momo’s sweet voice giggling at the other line. It was noticeable that Momo speaks much faster in Japanese than Korean. To Jeongyeons delight though, the girl's expression was enough said for the corner of lips to curl up in a smile. Her cuteness was so infectious. It made her giddy.

 

“What should we do now?” Momo asked after ending the call, happy that she successfully convinced Jeongyeon to stay around.

 

“Was that Sana?”

 

“Nope, it was Mina. She’s in Japan right now visiting family and she didn’t invite me so I’m kinda mad.” Jeongyeon melted once she saw how cutely Momo was pouting

 

“You don’t have to be so cute when saying that...” Once the last word slipped her tongue, her ears and the touches of her cheeks turned red in embarrassment and she fake coughed in a futile attempt to get out of the situation.

 

Momo stared blankly. Dumbfounded by the mess in front, her head turned slightly, acknowledging the doorbell that had just been rung. It gave Jeongyeon a chance to catch her breath.

 

“Who would that be?”

 

“I genuinely don’t know. I called the maids and the ‍chef off today so maybe… Sana? Let me go check.”

 

Momo casually walked to the door expecting her best friend on the other side yet instead found herself standing amongst two, well-suited, bodyguards accompanied by a man Momo knew all too well.

 

“Dad?!” As soon as Jeongyeon heard Momo’s panicked voice, her mind went berserk. Her eyes shot to any possible hiding place but because of the living room modernized interior, the furniture was to the bare minimum. Her spots were limited and footsteps were only getting closer.

 

Without thinking twice, she dived behind the couch and squatted just enough to be out of eye-sight.

 

“Wait I can explain. This is J— the living room” the massive amount of improving on Jeongyeons part made Momo slightly impressed and relieved.

 

“I know the living room. Precisely. Where are all the maids?” His voice was husky and deep. Jeongyeon found it disturbing at how expressionless he was to his own daughter. Something tells her that he involuntarily made a visit. Or maybe he knows? No. That can’t be it.

 

“The maids finished early today b-but,” She stammered, “Why are you here?”

 

“Why can’t I be here. This is my house. I have all the rights to be here.” His voice came of harshly making Momo mum. If only the situation was different, Jeongyeon would’ve definitely done something outrageous.

 

He continued, “Why did the maids leave early?”

 

“I wanted some privacy today and the house was already cleaned—”

 

“You called that ‘cleaned’ young lady.” Jeongyeon only had access to their voices but the sudden chill of Momo’s father pointing at the couch said otherwise. It must’ve been the panicking that messed the pillows and blanket.

 

“I was watching a movie but I should’ve been careful. I’m sorry” He responded with a short hum.

 

Mr. Hirai looked around sternly to inspect every creak and corner Momo could’ve stained. As if on cue, his apple watch ringed, signifying a notification that he didn’t so pleased to look at. His frown deepened and without a simple goodbye, he left to his car alongside his bodyguards that tailgated his every move.

 

His car drove off in the span of 5 minutes from when he arrived. Momo mindlessly called out for Jeongyeon who stood up and dusted her jeans.

 

“Maybe you should’ve called the maids” she teased but was quickly removed to a more stern look after seeing Momo’s silent response.

 

“Ok. What the was that?”

 

“That was new. I mean trashing me aside, he was never fond of leaving this early but I guess I proved myself wrong.”

 

Momo continued before the latter could reply. “Gong Seungyeon. Gong Seungyeon right? That’s your sister and that’s the person who called him. Wait, is that why he looked so angry?” She thought out loud.

 

“Jesus Christ” she grunts, “I guess Tokyo wasn’t enough for them.” Irritation was evident in Jeongyeons voice, her eyebrows creased deeply from going through different sceneries that led to this situation.

 

“Hey look at me” Momo cupped Jeongyeon cheeks, grabbing her attention as well as facing her to direct eye contact. “We’ll figure this out together.”

 

The pure greasiness in Momo’s words made Jeongyeon internally cringe, but they were reassuring nonetheless.

 

The latter was warmly distracting if not the constant panic of her sister’s next move lurking through her head. Momo seemed to understand. She took her hands off Jeongyeon’s cheeks after being interrupted from a certain phone going off. Jeongyeon answered unwillingly, eventually giving in after hearing distinct mumbles from the other line.

 

“Chaeyoung- Chae why’d you called me?”

 

“OH— you answered! Sorry I was a little distracted. Ok how do I say this. Uhm. I was doing a little more- well a lot more digging after you guys left and well… I found something really big.”

 

“How big?” She encouraged, a little startled

 

“I would say, ‘You’ll probably need to sit down and stay nowhere remotely close to anything throwable’ …. big”

 

Momo watched as Jeongyeon expression twisted into something dark. Barely able to keep her phone intact as she squeezes the life out of the inanimate object. She continued gazing in both curiosity and fright.

 

Everything she could have possibly imagined was nowhere near to what happened next.

...

A/N:  It has been a while, everyone! Sorry for the late chapter *ahem* I'm not gonna make any lame excuse for the lack of uploads. I just had different trail and errors for how I wanted to proceed with the story. Please do enjoy 'Give me your Hand' as much as I love writing it <333 until next time!!!!

note: this chapter isn't fully edited so please excuse my clumsy sentences ;)