10,000 Happiness

10,000 Happiness

“Yah!” Yuri shouted as she watches Cho Kyuhyun’s back slowly fading away from her sight. That bastard! He actually breaks up with her for another girl. Yuri could only breathe in deeply and angrily as her tears started filling up her eyes.

She turned her back and slowly walked away, eyes still filled with water. She sighed for the nth time as she looked back on the memories she shared with Kyuhyun. She sat down on a bench in a park and remembered the time Kyuhyun asked her to elope with him:  They stupidly just rode the public train not knowing where to go. In the end, they went back to their respective houses and thought they should plan their eloping better next time. How could they elope now? He is gone, eloping with another girl.

Suddenly, her train of bittersweet thoughts… more of bitter now than sweet, was cut off when a hand holding a yellow rose suddenly appeared in front of her face. She looked at the rose as it makes circle in front of her. She slowly felt dizzy and shook her head and looked at the person holding it.

“Jung Yunho!” she said as she looked at the tall guy sharply. “If you have nothing better to do, stop bothering me.”

“I-“ he sighed and rolled his eyes. “I’m trying to make you happy! Seeing you looking at the ground with that kind of look, I won’t be surprise if the ground suddenly crack and a beanstalk came out in front of you.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Yuri said as she looked away.

Yunho sighed with the look of the girl beside her. He hesitated at first but he gathered his confidence to pat her shoulder. It’s not easy to initiate skinship with Yuri especially when the girl knows his feelings for her. It’s been how long? 2 years since he started wooing her. And with or without a Cho Kyuhyun beside her, he would still go for the only girl he sees- Kwon Yuri.

“Now that Cho guy is out… can I come inside your heart?” Yunho said which made Yuri looked at him. He smiled gently, childishly “You only look at Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun looks at another girl...” (he pretended to look around) “Who’s going to look at me?” Yuri just looked at him doing all those childish nonsense.

“I should be the one to stay with you… you know I can treat you better. I’ll be a genie for you… whatever you wish for… I’ll give it to you.”

“Can you give me 10,000 happiness?”

Yunho’s smile disappeared as he looked at Yuri. The broken-hearted girl sighed and smiled. “I know it’s impossible. Forget it-“

“I’m willing…” Yuri met Yunho’s eyes and saw determination in them. “I’ll give you 10,000 happiness.”

The next days became tough for Yunho as he saw Yuri sinking deeper and deeper in depression. He decided to send 100 pots of yellow roses in her house as he knows that she loves yellow roses a lot.

Yuri was amazed as one Flower Company after another came into her house and filled up her room with the freshest, most beautiful set of yellow roses. Finally, a smile came across her lips. Yunho was quite satisfied as he listens to Yuri’s voice over the phone, “The roses are lovely. Thank you!”

Yunho was watching a magic show in the television and suddenly thought it would probably make Yuri smile. He decided to go to a short magic trick course and studied simple tricks. Whenever he would come to see Yuri, he would show some magic tricks such as making a hair clip disappear and would suddenly re-appear behind her ears. He would clip it on Yuri’s hair and would touch her long, shiny locks gently. Yuri would pay him some smile whenever he does that.
 

Yunho decided to show him the hardest trick he has learned yet; making the bunny disappear inside a hat. However, when he asked Yuri to blow the hat that would make the little animal disappear, the little bunny suddenly stuck his head out making Yunho blushed big time with embarrassment. He could only close his eyes and would want to melt at his own disappointment but Yuri burst out into laughter. “Oppa! That was daebak!” she said as she holds her tummy. The handsome guy could just smile. Not all failure can lead to sadness.

Even though Yunho has been accompanying her for the past days, Yuri would still often feel lonely. She would look at her window as if she can see Kyuhyun waving his hand at her. Eventually, tears would still fall from her eyes and she would still feel her heart aches.

“It’s not easy to have 10,000 happiness,” she thought.

An unexpected event made Yunho sees Kyuhyun. He saw Cho Kyuhyun looking drunk and on the verge of falling… and even if he hates the younger man, he stood up and help the drunkard.

“What do you think are you doing?” Yunho said.

“I made a mistake… I shouldn’t have let Yuri go,” Kyuhyun told him. Yunho’s hand made a fist when he heard that. Does Cho Kyuhyun know how hard it is for the poor girl to take the fact that he is gone? Does Cho Kyuhyun know how difficult it is for Yuri to smile a bit? Does Cho Kyuhyun know how angry Jung Yunho is because the young man is still the reason for Yuri’s tears?

Yunho tried forgetting his encounter with Kyuhyun... “I’m not going to lose to your memories… not yet,” he told himself. He looked down and thought of how else he could make Yuri happy. He knows exactly how…but he won’t give it to her now.

He could just smile as Yuri seemed a lot happier these days. One day, they’ve decided to play in the ice skating rink, one of the things they shared interest with.

“Oppa… can you do this?” Yuri said as she tried jumping and twirling on the ice. However, she fell on the wrong foot making her fall down. Yunho rushed into her as she cried in pain.

“Who told you to do that trick…you know that you’re not professionally trained,” he asked as he squats down about to help her.

“Before you help me… show me that trick first.”

He sighed. He did a back slide and gave himself a bit more space and started gliding, jumping, and twirling in the air. At that time, he didn’t saw Yuri’s face of admiration to him. He landed on ice with grace but had missed those precious expressions the girl has given him. He looked at Yuri and approached her, holding her hand, and supporting her waist as she stands up. It was a bit painful so he has decided to carry her on the back. “Yuri ah…” he called as he looked to his side, Yuri’s head is resting on his shoulder and her arms are around his neck. “Are you…happy?”

“You only gave me 9,000 happiness… you lack a thousand more,” she said and chuckled. He looked down and sighed.

“Oppa… is giving you a thousand more happiness… very soon.”

Yuri smiled and wrapped her arms around him even tighter.

Yuri found herself happily waiting for Yunho to come and fetch her at home. She does look forward to seeing Yunho every day, making her smile in the littlest possible way. Her heart always anticipates the time when he will call and will ask her to go out or say he’ll drop something in front of her house. “Oppa asked me to be happy… this time, because of him, I am.”

 “Oppa says he’s going to give me the last gift that would complete my 10,000 happiness.” She wondered what that is. She smiled and thought of the answer herself. Maybe he’ll give me a pet, he knows I like animals… or maybe he’ll treat me to a live octopus restaurant… or maybe he’ll teach me how to skate better… or maybe…we will share a romantic dinner and confess to me for the i-cannot-count-how-many-times-already.

A little boy hand her a long stem of yellow rose with a letter in it. She excitedly opened it. Yunho oppa... he surely knew more than 10,000 ways to surprise me. She opened the letter.

“Yuri ah… you’re 10,000thhappiness is waiting for you here…” she read an address and so she has decided to follow it.

-----

Jung Yunho sat down in the train station as he recalled what he and Kyuhyun talked about that time they met.

“I’ll let you go with her…but don’t ever make her cry again,” he told Kyuhyun when he was a bit sober. The young man nodded and tapped his shoulder. “But… not now. I won’t let her go to you now… you’ll be the final gift I’ll give to her. You just have to wait.”

Yunho looked at the sky and smiled as a tear fell… “Yuri ah… I gave you your 10000thhappiness. I hope you’ll be happy.” He stood up as the train came. He looked back for the last time before boarding.

-----

Yuri looked at Kyuhyun in the eyes… “Jung Yunho… is giving you back as my 10000thhappiness?” she asked as the young man who was smiling at her gently. She could have thought of another gift but to see Kyuhyun here waiting for her to be in his arms… she only realized one thing.

“Sorry… Kyuhyun oppa. I don’t need 10000 happiness anymore.” She smiled and looked at Kyuhyun as she stepped back. “I only need one happiness.” She didn’t wait for Kyuhyun to say anything anymore. She started running forward ready to take whatever risk she will be facing just to get him back.

-----

“Oppa!” Yunho looked back and was surprised to Yuri running competitively against the train.

“Yuri-ah, what are you doing here?”

“I am here to get my happiness.”

“But...”

Yuri locked her lips to his and kissed him deeply and sincerely. “Oppa, I don’t need 10,000 surprises. I don’t need 10000 gifts. I only needed one to be happy- and that’s you, Jung Yunho.”

 

-----

credits to anghelsalupa for making me cry during my bday!