01; the struggling student

성 대학교 성 Seong University | Story Starting


              struggling student



 
 
 
 
 
 

…The library was quiet even with students bustling about the building. The crammed together coffee stained tables and mountain-sized bookcases that looked one minute away from teetering over onto an unsuspecting student were comforting to almost every student on Seong University's campus. In a stowed away corner of the library that was rarely ever visited, except by that one student who wanted to do their report on the mating habits of anteaters and how that related back to Romeo & Juliet, sat a girl with light pink hair and a concentrated look on her cute face. She had a book open in front of her, which was rightfully titled Physics for Dummies, and piles of pens and papers were strewn around her. Despite the book being open in front of her, she paid no mind to it. All she did was stare directly at her phone as she desperately tapped at the rapid black tiles that descended down the screen. Her mind was so focused on the screen in front of her that she didn't even see another girl who had crept up in front of her, a large book in her hand.

    Before the pink-haired girl could process what was happening, the book slammed onto the table, echoing throughout the whole library. The pink haired girl screamed, throwing her phone from her hands and clutching at her oversized pastel pink sweater in a desperate attempt to keep her soul grounded. 


"Mihi, when I told you to go to the library to study, I really meant you have to study." Mihi could only offer a pout at the jab, especially at the use of her real name and not the affectionate nickname that she's used to being called, not wanting to admit that she was slacking off.

"Chengxiao, you know that I have to recharge or else I won't be able to make it through Professor Yoo's droning." Chengxiao repressed the need to roll her eyes at Mihi. She was always like this, going to the library to study only to end up playing one of those stupid phone games for almost the whole time. She needed an intervention, and Chengxiao was going to give her one, whether or not Mihi wanted it.

"You need to get a tutor or something, this class is going to be the death of you at this rate." Chengxiao sighed, frustrated not at her friend but her lack of motivation, throwing her bag on the table and sitting down in the chair across from Mihi. Mihi quickly tried to move her stuff out of the way to make room for Chengxiao. Inwardly, she was cringing at the thought of going to the tutoring center. They were all so smart while Mihi...not so much. It was incredibly nerve-wracking to go in there and tell them that you were stupid and needed help.

"Can't you just tutor me..." Mihi put on her secret weapon. She puffed out her cheeks and her eyes got glossy from the tears that manifested from nowhere. This face helped Mihi get extensions on her papers and free food from her friends all the time. It was the one action that could save Mihi money and time, so she used it often. Chengxiao was a tough opponent, but Mihi was annoying and determined so they were evenly matched.
 

However, one look from Chengxiao sent chills down Mihi's spine. Chengxiao glared down at the pitiful girl in front of her. Mihi straightened up her posture and bowed her head apologetically.

"I am sorry Chengxiao, please forgive me." Chengxiao couldn't help the little smile that came to her face at Mihi's reaction. She really wanted to help Mihi, she really did. But time was a sore spot with Chengxiao and she can't waste it for anyone, even if her best friend desperately needed help in school. Mihi flopped back down on the table, her head buried into her arms as Chengxiao giggled. A groan of frustration was heard and Chengxiao petted her hair to comfort her.

"Look, Mimi," Mihi perked up from her wounded puppy look and peeked at Chengxiao through her bangs, her cheek smushed against her arm. Chengxiao held back the urge to pinch Mihi's cheeks, it was so tempting at the moment but there were bigger issues to address. "Why don't you ask someone in your class? Ask around and see if anyone would be willing to be a study buddy or something. It is not as bad as going to the tutoring center." Chengxiao threw the idea out in the open, hoping that Mihi would at least ponder on it for just a tiny bit. It was a shot in the dark, but she hoped that it struck Mihi. 

Chengxiao's phone beeped interrupted the two's conversation. A quick glance at her phone, Chengxiao hurried up. She started smacking at Mihis arm as well.

"Mihi, you need to get to class! If I am late for Professor Wong's class, he drops a whole letter grade!" Chengxiao frantically tried to stuff all of Mihi's pencils and papers into her backpack, and Mihi joined her. After the hurricane of supplies was secured into her bag, Chengxiao pulled at Mihi, who stumbled to keep up with the hasty steps of her friend all the while trying to fit her arms into the straps of her backpack. A few students gave them small glares as they left the library, more than likely due to the two girl's light arguing and fussing to each other as they practically ran out. 

o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o - o 

… Mihi cheered inwardly as she made it to her classroom with just five minutes to spare. The smile that was on her face instantly became strained as she made eye contact with her professor as she entered the classroom. She really hated Physics! It was going to be the death of her at this rate and her professor was a mean one. He rarely smiled and looked like he should be retired years ago. Mihi offered a small bow as she averted her eyes from the piecering gaze of the old man. It was like he was telling her she wasn't going to pass his class wih his eyes.

Mihi let out a large sigh as she slumped into her chair at the lab table. She proped her bookbag up against her chair and pulled out her phone to text Chengxiao that she made it to class on time. A message popped up instantly from her friend as she unlocked her phone. 


TO: MINNIE
FROM: XIXI

You better come back to the dorm with news of you having a study buddy or I'm taking away your laptop! No more DOTA for you until you are out of danger with your Physics class!!!! (┳◇┳) 


Mihi bit her lip at the threat, already wanting to just melt into the ground. Is it too late to drop out and just start a new life in the woods where nothing could hurt her except maybe a bear? That sounded much more appealing than talking to any of her classmates about being "study buddies". How embarassing...

As she looks up from her phone, she sees movement from the corner of her eye. Glancing over, she makes eye contact with a tall, dark haired guy who was taking a seat next to her. He was dressed neat and clean, with a nice blue striped button down and a pair of regular blue jeans with new looking sneakers. Mihi offered a large smile at the dude, not wanting to come off as weird. The male looked startled for a second, before he bowed his head quickly, and looked back to the front. He sat down, setting his bag at his feet. Mihi went back to looking at her phone, before an idea struck her. Maybe...

She snuck a quick peek at the tall guy next to her.

It's all or nothing, Mihi! Just get it over with now, or your precious DOTA will forever be in the clutches of the evil Xixi! There would be no way to get it back until you actually get your in gear. So, Mihi turned her body in her seat towards the guy, who seemed to stiffen up at the motion.

"Hey, I don't think I got your name? I'm Kwon Mihi, second year IT major." Mihi brightly smiled at the guy next to her. He turned his head towards her, his eyes slightly widened and his mouth open as if he couldn't believe that Mihi was actually talking to him. He seemed to realize his facial expression because he shook his head lightly and gave a small smile to Mihi.

"I am Bi Wenjun, second year Nuclear Engineering major." He quietly answered, but Mihi caught on a slight accent from his introduction. She excitedly scooted closer to the dude who looked flustered at the close proximity.

"Hey, hey, are you an exchange student by chance?" Her eyes sparkled up at Wenjun as he struggled to string a sentence together.

"Y-yeah.... I am from China." He squeaked out and Mihi's smile grew even more.

"Holy cow! That's so cool, my roommate and best friend Xixi is also an exchange student from China." Mihi laughed, but continued when Wenjun seemed to not know how to answer except a polite smile. His shoulders were tense and he was sweating profusely. Mihi didn't pay any mind to it, or she just didn't even notice the discomfort that Wenjun was feeling.

"So, a Nuclear Engineering major, huh? Sounds smart." Mihi steered the conversation, trying to create an opening to pounce. If there was someone in this class who was the best option for being a study buddy, it seemed to be Wenjun. He probably would even get along with Chengxiao too, which is a bonus. 

Wenjun relaxed a bit Mihi's question, already used to everyone giving him surprised and impressed reactions to his major. An awkward smile came to his lips.

"It was one of the only options for the exchange student program that guranateed admission. It helps that I like to learn about science." Wenjun's words made Mihi almost want to yell in glee. Wenjun was perfect!

"Woah, you like science? I am struggling so much in this class that I can't help but hate it." Mihi puffed her cheeks, already busting out her irresistable pout. Wenjun's cheeks suddenly blossomed a light red color at the sight and Mihi was confused at the reaction. Was he not feeling well or something? Oh no, what if she made Wenjun sick with her stupidity!?

Mihi started inwardly panicking, already thinking about how to abort mission. She didn't want to ruin the nice exchange student's chances at graduating by infecting him with her stupidity! Before she could get herself out of the conversation, Wenjun spoke up.

"W-well. if you need help studying, I can totally tutor you..." Mihi froze at the offer, which made Wenjun start to backtrack, "b-but only if you want to. It would also help me too..." His voice got barely audible at the end, afraid of Mihi thinking that Wenjun was implying that she was dumb or something. He was sure she just needed guidance to help get her on track, and it was a bonus that Wenjun got to spend some time with her. He's had a crush on the pink haired girl for a while now, and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to get to know each other better.

"I would love to be study buddies!" Mihi burst out, almost hugging Wenjun before thinking twice about it and tugging at the hem of her sweater. Wenjun let out the breath of air that he was holding, all his anxiety leaving in a rush at the bright smile that Mihi gave him.

Mihi took out her phone again, handing it over to the Chinese boy. 

"Please give me your number so we can plan a date! 
♥ " Mihi casually said, causing Wenjun to almost have a mini heart attack at the words. 

"O-okay..." His fingers were shaking as he tapped in his numbers into Mihi's phone, who happily took back the phone from Wenjun's trembling hands. She looked unbothered as she started tapping at her phone again.

"Hehe, I added you in as Nice Smart Dude in my phone." Mihi giggled and Wenjun felt himself become a pile of goo at the sound. It was so cute and it fit Mihi perfectly. The two of them were interupted as Professor Yoo slammed his book onto his desk. Mihi and Wenjun jumped at the sound, turning their bodies to the front immediatley.

"Let's begin class."