Chapter 9

Dystopia

You ran up the stairs. Your heart was racing, both from fear and exertion. Your legs burned as you climbed but you willed them to keep going. Finally, you burst through the door to the roof, slamming it behind you. You paused, breathing heavily and waiting. Listening. At first you thought you were safe; you thought that you could outrun them. You were wrong. A whirring sound got louder as three patrol robots flew up and landed on the roof. Your eyes widened and you turned and ran.

But there was nowhere to go. You stopped at the edge of the roof, looking over the edge of the five story building. You clenched your fists, thinking furiously as you tried to come up with a plan.

“I've finally caught you.” A voice said behind you, sending a chill down your spine. It was a voice you had hoped to never hear again.

You turned around to see the robots blocking your way. One had a monitor in it's torso and there she was. Or at least there her image was. “Tera.”

She grinned and waved. She looked horrible, though. In the year since you had parted ways, she definitely looked worse than before. Her face was gaunt, her frame dangerously skinny. But her eyes still were aflame with revenge. “So glad you remember me.”

“Kind of hard to forget.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, whatever. I finally have you cornered. Nothing you say is going to upset me. Come along with my friends here. If you come quietly, you might live to meet with me face to face.” She smiled, watching you like a cat.

You backed up, your calves hitting the edge of the roof. The wind blew against you, pushing you away from the robots in front of you. You couldn't Slip out of this one. You had already tried. Even if you could, they would just come after you again. Now you had a decision to make, but you already knew what you were going to do. Your heart beat fast, your body trembling. “As great as meeting you sounds,” you stepped up onto the edge, “I would rather not. I would rather die than see you again.”

You enjoyed her face of utter shock as you leaned back, letting yourself fall over the edge. Then panic suddenly gripped your heart. You didn't want it to end like this. What about Jongup? What would happen to him if you died? Tears escaped as you squeezed your eyes shut, waiting for the impact-

“Hey!” Jongup was shaking your shoulder and you yelped, opening your eyes quickly. You were in your bed at the base.

Breathing heavily, you pushed your hair out of your face. Your heart was still going a million miles an hour and your body was still trembling. It had felt so real…

“Hey, you're okay, you're okay.” Jongup moved closer in the darkness of your room. He pulled you close, then onto his lap and held you to him. For a moment, you just shook in his arms, trying to calm down. You breathed in his scent, your head on his shoulder. It helped you enough to allow you to finally move. You put your arms around his waist, clenching the back of his shirt in your fists. “Its okay, breathe. You’re safe.”

You did as he suggested, focusing on your breathing for several minutes. “I just.. I don't.. I'm sorry, I just..” You didn't really have any coherent thoughts.

“Its okay, calm down first, then talk.” He told you patiently. He rocked you from side to side. He had a calming song running through his mind, which helped even more.

Eventually you were calm enough to pull away. You could see some of his features thanks to the full moon’s light outside. “Thank you for coming…”

He nodded and leaned in, kissing your cheek gently. A light spark flew through you at the touch of his lips. “I could hear you in my dream. You weren't making much verbal noise, but you were screaming in your head as you fell.”

“Wait, did you see what I was dreaming?” You were suddenly very self conscious.

He rested his forehead against your shoulder and shook his head. “Not really. You were just suddenly falling from the sky in my dream. It was so weird, it woke me up.”

You sighed and nodded. You let go of Jongup, your chest hurting as you lost contact with him. “You should go back to bed. I’m sorry for waking you up.”

He looked up at your silhouette, thinking for a moment. “Are you sure?” You hesitated for a moment, not really wanting to be alone right now. But then you nodded and moved to get off of his lap. However, his arms tightened around your waist. He lay back, pulling you with him. “My room is too far away.”

You blinked and grinned a little at his lame excuse. “You could always stay here, if you want.” The two of you settled in under your blankets, facing each other. One of his arms was your pillow as the other rested on your waist. “Thank you for staying with me.” You moved closer to him, holding him to you tightly. The tingling sensation was beginning to fill your entire body, making you feel oddly safe and warm.

He kissed the top of your head, inhaling your light scent. “Anything for you.”

★☆★☆★☆