Chapter 21

Twenty

I stopped in front of Bobby, “let’s go home”

“Ohhh, it’s Hyo Kyung!” Bobby lifted his head, slurring while giving me drunken smile. Seeing the exchange, the lady got out of Kei’s grip and lean herself on Bobby. Her manicured hands traveled from his arms to his chest, leaving trails, “Come on, play with me. I know you missed me” she said with a sultry smile and her eyes met mine. I stiffened at the sight and I knew it’s not a sight I will easily forget. Right on cue, Kei grabbed her even harder, pulling her away from Bobby.

I took this chance to pull him out of his seat. He slumped on me and I struggled to support his weight.

“I missed you.” He slurred. I could smell the strong stench of alcohol and wondered why he drank so much. I was just started to walk away when I heard the lady’s remark, “what’s so good about her. Can she even satisfy his needs? A girl like that? For someone so plain, I guess you’re not so innocent after all.” She commented. I bit my lips, trying to contain the sting from her words. “” I bit my lip, trying to hold my already shattered composure.

Next thing I knew Lara grabbed her hair and Kei slapped her face. Hanbin quickly helped me carry Bobby out and hail for a cab. “Thanks,” I muttered, “Will they be ok?”

Hanbin wave his hand, dismissing my worries, “yeah, they’ll be fine. Be safe home”

We have finally arrived at his house and I struggled to bring him to his bed. I tucked him into bed, pulling the blanket over him. I soften at his peaceful face and my hands moved to his cheeks on its own. My heart stops when he suddenly opened his tired eyes, “I fought with my dad because of you.”  He paused, ‘’I should’ve not listen to what you said. We’re too different after all, we didn’t match. You’re like this nice girl, standing in the light. And I’m just this jerk, messed up, doing everything wrongly. What am I thinking to really listen to what you say? I should’ve known I can’t do all these nice stuff’’. Hurt by his sudden confession, I kept quiet. Tears were threatening to fall but I blinked it away. “It’s hard for me to keep up with you. If I get too close, I’m afraid you’ll get ruined. I hate this”

Unable to contain my emotions, I quickly got up to leave but Bobby grabbed my wrist, “Don’t go.” Instead, I pulled his hands off my wrist and did the opposite of what he asked. I left.

The next few days, Bobby kept reaching out to me, but I reply none of his messages. I stayed away from him, giving us distance to protect myself from getting hurt. I cried a lot that night.  “I hate this”, “we didn’t match”. His words still felt as raw as a winter wind that is blowing and piercing right through my skin. Our last conversation still haunts me, taunt me, replaying like an echo. And that night too I realized that I fell for him harder than a slip on black ice. At first, he distracted me with jokes and I followed each one, laughing down every blind alley. Time passes and I wanted more than just the “happy bobby” persona, I realized that I fall for him along the way. But somehow I know that we are too different. An image of the lady popped into my head. That’s the type of girl he would want to date. I mean just look at me, I’m nothing compared to her.

I was walking to the bus stop after class when the voice I used to be so excited to hear greeted me, “Hey Hyo Kyung!” I gave him an awkward smile.

 “So, how’s life? That’s horrible by the way. What happened to your painting.”

“Well, it’s all in the past” I shrugged

“You know, you can tell me if something like that ever happen again,” he moved closer, putting his arms around me and give my shoulder a light supposedly-comforting squeeze.

I shrinked, uncomfortable by his touch and gave him a fake smile. Just then, someone slapped Jae Hyuk’s hands and grabbed me, dragging me away roughly.

The next thing I knew, Bobby’s back view is right in front of me, and I can feel annoyance emanating from him. I tried to pull my hands from him but failed as his grip is too tight, causing me to feel slight pain from his hold. He stopped in his track and huffed his breath “why are you still hanging out with him? Are you stupid?” his tone annoyed.

Seeing him just ticked my mood and I replied him with equal annoyance, “Why are you controlling my life? Can you stop doing all this” I turned away, ready to escape this encounter. But his hands move faster and grabbed my wrist again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why are you ignoring my messages?”

I looked at his hands on my wrist, and my heart clenches as the lady’s words echoed ‘what’s so good about her. Can she even satisfy his needs? A girl like that?’

“Don’t touch me,” venom dripping out of every word. Then I added, “I’m not one of your girls. Besides, it’s true what you said. We’re too different” I can feel his grip loosens, face shocked and hurt. Taking this chance, I leave him with a heavy heart.

When he’s with me the pain stops, or at least it once did. Now, the pain flows at the sight of him and I want to flee.

I missed him.

Weeks had passed and these days every food is cardboard. No amount of chewing helped me swallow. The ache of longing to see him echoes through every bone like a chilly wind trapped in the chamber of my heart. It was a torment I was prepared for when I kept my distance because being close to him hurts even more.

I heard a knock on my door before my door creaks open, “Hey want to go cycling? The weather’s nice out,” Kei suggested. And having no mood to do anything, I was about to decline before she pulled me out of the bed, “Oh come on! You’ve been staying in your bed for God-knows-how-long,” she said in exasperation.