Chapter 11

Twenty

After the 3 days funeral, we went back in the morning as I needed to continue the exhibition preparation. I planned on going back in the morning alone, but he insisted on going back together, and keeping me company whilst I continue painting.

On the way back, I decided to tell him about my date with Jae Hyuk. “Oh really?” was all he said. I stared at him and noticed his jaw clenched. I was about to asked if everything okay until he turned away from me and said curtly, “I’m going to nap.” I was confused at his sudden change of attitude, but I decided to let it go. Maybe he’s still emotional. I shut my eyes to rest and felt something was thrown my way. I opened my eyes and saw Bobby’s jacket on me. “Just in case.” I heard him say. We separated at the train station and decided to meet again for a quick dinner before getting back on my exhibition preparation.

During the dinner he cuts the food into smaller pieces and gives it to me, “Why are you suddenly so nice to me?” I eyed him suspiciously. He seemed flustered at my question and stuttered “w-what do you mean? I always take care of you since you’re little.” I still give him a suspicious eye-squint and just shrug it off.

When we arrive at the art classroom, the room is dark showing no signs of fellow art members. I the light and the saw something that made my blood drained from my face. The sight before me robbed me of my speech as a chill ran down my spine. I stood motionless as my mind can’t process what I’m seeing. The painting I’ve been working on was completely destroyed. Black paint covering my hardwork. Paint and brushes scattered, dirtying the floor. A mess.

I was paralyzed, glued to the ground, before I lose control of my body. My feet moved on its own and my hands slowly picking up the scattered paint and brushes. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Bobby standing by the door, trying to make out of what’s happening. When he finally understands what’s going on, he said in a low voice “stop”.

I ignored him, having no control of my body. I continued to pick up and clean the mess, eyes blank. He stomped to where I am, yanked my arms and raised his voice “Hey! I told you to stop!” I flinched and look down at the mess, then at my now-ruined painting. Bobby looked around the ceiling to find what he’s looking for and dragged me aggressively out of the room, as I followed him lifelessly.

As we were at the security room inspecting through the CCTV footage, someone caught my attention. I watched in shock as a familiar figure discreetly made her way to my art piece. Why? Thousands of questions fill my mind. One of the security guard contacted the club leader, Seo Ha Joon, who also happens to be one of my closest friends.

Bo Ram and Ha Joon have been telling me how I should be more aware of her and how she seems to dislike me. I would always shrug it off, not thinking much out of it. Yet now, everything makes so much sense. While trying to sink everything in, the door burst open revealing a flustered Ha Joon. Bobby, without saying anything, left the room to let Ha Joon and I talk in private.

 

“I can take this issue up so that she will face consequences but I would need you to be there as well. Are you up for it?” he asked.

I kept quiet. I was hurt by her actions but I do not want to blow this matter out of proportion. “I think I’ll let this go,” I replied, “I’ll confront her myself.”

“I knew you’re going to say that.” He smiled softly, “But are you okay? The exhibition is nearing and you don’t have the art piece. But if you insist on participating, I will support you 200%.” He said worriedly.

I just nodded. “Tell me if you need anything okay? This girl is getting crazier, be more careful around her.”

“Well, I’m going back. Thank you and Sorry to disturb your night. You’re a good friend.” I gave him a weak smile.

That night, Bobby takes me home. On the way back, we both kept silence. A bunch of unending questions filled my head, drowning myself in my own thought.

The air is so tense, making it hard for me to breathe. Before I go in, Bobby took a step closer and looked at me deeply, searching for my eyes. He took both of my hands in his, and squeezes it. That’s when I realized that my hand had been shaking. Once he did this, I feel like everything just pour out of me. All those confusion and emotion is just falling. I can no longer hold back my tears. Every question in my head is just spilling out of my mouth.

“Why? Why did she do that? Did she hate me? Did I do something wrong? Did I make her angry?” I cried.

Without saying anything, he pulled me into a tight hug. “I won’t let her get away with this, I promise.” He assured. I put my arms around him, squeezing him so tightly like hanging for dear life, as if I will start to break if I let go.

After I calmed down, I feel something hard tapped my head. I looked up from his chest, eyes still teary and Bobby holding a lollipop. I realized how close we were, and we both pulled away. I hear a fumbling plastic sound before hearing him speak, “here”. He opened the lollipop for me and we decided to sit at the park.

“From now on, you need to tell me if anything happens okay.” He said comforting me. I just stared at him like a wide-eyed kid with a lollipop, as if completely calmed down by the sweetness from the candy. He chuckled at the sight and cup my face in his hands, bringing my face closer to his while pressing my cheeks together, “Okayyy?”

“O-khay” I mumbled, struggling to get out of his hold.