Part ii. (final)

Counting stars with you

 

 

Minji has always considered Daejeon as her home. She has spent more than half of her lifetime there, known many people, made many friends and formed many close relationships with her neighbours, especially those ahjumma and ahjussi who have watched her grown up.

 

Which is why, she never thought that one day, she would settle down in Seoul, a city far away from home (although it is just a two-hour bus ride). There are better opportunities here and of course, Minji knows that everyone strives for a better future. Also, that's the only way she can fulfil the promise that she has made - find a well-paid job, buy a house and give her family a good life.

 

"Still not going home?"

 

A tap on her shoulders veers her attention away from the slides that she has been doing for tomorrow's report. She takes a quick glance at the time and realises that it is a little past six. Time will never be enough.

 

"Soon, soon," Minji turns her chair around, accidentally sending the wrappers of the crackers that she has eaten just now flying onto the ground. She watches as her supervisor chases after tham and throws them into the bin after picking them up. "Oh, thanks," Minji says as she stretches her tired arms, immediately noticing the look of concern. "I swear, just two more slides and I will be done."

 

"Those crackers are unhealthy," her supervisor comments.

 

Perks of having a mum of two daughters as her supervisor.

 

Minji chuckles, thinking about how her supervisor once mentioned that she would never let her daughters eat them. But she seems to have brought that rule into the office by mistake. "Okay, mum, I will cut down on them."

 

"You better do so."

 

Minji has always been the family's pride, always scoring well for exams and earning praises from the adults for her good behaviour. Now, at the age of twenty-eight, she has an established career with a stable income. People around her thinks that her life is successful, is perfect and she, herself would think so too.

 

But after a hectic (or not really) day at work, she would often find herself wandering along the river just below her office, blending perfectly into the crowd of people that filled the night street. The city lights illuminate the dark sky and sometimes, she would sit down on the bench with a sandwich that she has bought from the convenience store as she stares blankly into the relfection of those tall buildings opposite the river.

 

It is getting late but Minji doesn't want to return to the empty apartment especially knowing that no one will be there to greet her home after a long day outside.

 

So, she stays and watches quietly as faces after faces pass by, many with friends, boyfriend, girlfriend, family, as if they are mocking at her misery. Minji looks up into the sky, trying to find some comfort but there isn't any stars tonight, only glints of loneliness.

 

The day comes to an end quickly and abruptly.

 

And Minji begins wondering when she would learn to fall asleep without thinking about a certain someone in her head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Take this and if mum asks, just tell her that I got a bonus this month. There's extra money inside so ask dad to see a doctor and get his back treated," Minji says as she sweeps the envelope across the table to Minju, whose legs are shaking vigorously under the table.

 

Minji has to put a hand on her thigh to stop the motion. And she shakes her head, wondering when would her sister learn to be more feminine. Her mum must have nagged about it too.

 

"Unnie, you do know that the money's gonna go down into the drain because dad's back won't recover unless he stops driving," Minju says, her eyes peeking into the thick stack of notes inside the envelope.

 

The eatery that her parents are running isn't receiving much interest and except for a handful of returning old time customers, the store is nearly empty all the time. So, her dad has to turn driving cab into his full time job. But Minji doesn't understand, she is fully capable of providing for them but her dad wouldn't listen when she asked him to quit, claiming that he would get bored if he idles at home every day.

 

Minji inadvertently sighs, knowing that whatever she is going to say isn't going to make any difference anyway. So, she says nothing, gulping down onto the noodle soup that she has ordered but the broth is too salty and it is making dry. Raising her hand, she calls for the waitress to serve her some canned drinks.

 

"So, how long are you going back for this time?" Minji asks, knowing that there will be an upcoming term break.

 

"Around three weeks, I guess."

 

Minji raises a brow, "What about the remaining one week?"

 

"My classmates are planning for a class trip to Busan. The class's fund has been laying in the dust for a while now already, might as well use it," Minju says, putting her chopsticks down, eyes boring onto the way Minji is devouring down the food, finishing every bit of the leftover soup. And she moves her gaze to her own bowl which is still almost full.

 

The food here isn't even nice. It is overrated, so much for the western-asian fusion hype.

 

"Cool. Are you going to the beach?"

 

Minju nods, grinning excitedly at the thought of the first class trip, even if it's just in the country. "Yeah, we're going to many other places too like the aquarium, the temple and the cultural village. Might be visiting the market too if we have the time. Apparently, they want to save a day or two for shopping."

 

"Mmm, stay safe. Don't get yourself into unnecessary trouble, okay?"

 

"Spare me the nag, unnie. I'm already twenty, a college student."

 

Minji lets out a chuckle at how her sister has really grown up. She used to be this little, just barely reaching her waist but now, they are almost the same height. Even so, she knows that she will never see her little sister as an adult. In her eyes, she will forever be a baby.

 

"Anyway," Minji opens the can of green tea and inserts a straw into the drink, offering it to Minju, who declines. "Just go back home more often if you have the time. Mum and dad must have missed you a lot."

 

"I should be the one saying that, unnie. When are you going back? You haven't visited them for almost a year now. I'm sure they are going to ask me about you again when I go back this time. They always asked."

 

"Well, that's because I'm bu-,"

 

"Busy, I know," Minju interrupts and completes the sentence before she can even finish them. And Minji let out a smile, relieved that her sister understands. "You're always busy."

 

"Glad that you know, I can't apply for leave now, still have a few projects on my hand and there's a new batch of intern coming in soon. Tell them that I will go back next time when things are better," Minji explains.

 

"But, unnie, a few months ago, you also said next time."

 

"Did I?" Minji doesn't remember.

 

"Yeah, I really don't get it though."

 

"What do you not get it?" Minji asks.

 

"Why do you people always like to say 'next time', 'next time', and then go on to forget all about it? Like how my high school friends always tell me 'see you next time' but I haven't heard from them since then. I guess, it's a really convenient phrase to use, huh?" Minju gives a shrug on her shoulders as she unknowingly answers her own doubts.

 

Minji lowers her head, cleaning with a napkin as she ponders those words over and over again. She knows that her sister isn't blaming her but she still can't help but feel that way. The guilt creeps up onto her and tugs at her conscious, feeling embarrassed and ashamed that a fully grown adult had to be lectured about filial piety by her own sister, who is almost ten years younger.

 

It is ironic.

 

As the sky darkens, after they have grabbed some ice-cream by a random stall on the roadside, Minju has to rush back to the dormitory before the gate closes by midnight. And Minji bids goodbye to her sister, ruffling her hair, reminding her to be careful as she dashes across the road for the bus that is about to depart the stop.

 

When Minji finally gets home, she stares at the wall calendar, flipping through pages after pages. And she sighs. Soon, she tells herself, she will find a date soon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minji didn't usually like to be surprised, especially when it is a huge surprise, like the party that Yoohyeon had organised for her for her twenty-fifth birthday. Which was why, whenever her birthday was nearing, she would always tell her friends to simply wish her a 'happy birthday' or write a card for her. She dislikes complexity and prefers to keep things simple.

 

So, when the doorbell suddenly rings in the middle of the night, persistently, Minji is baffled because why would there be anyone looking for her at this hour? It takes her a few more rings and a few more persuades in her head before she manages to overcome the reluctance of getting out of the comfy bed.

 

The door opens, revealing a black-haired woman, clad in a denim overall and the blue coloured luggage behind her isn't overlooked. Minji never thinks that there would come to be a time when she would regret about her decision greatly. If there has to be a moment to prove her wrong, this will be one.

 

"Hi, Minji," The same wide smile that she hasn't seen for a long time greets her and those eyes that have locked onto hers immediately dissolved into crescents. It feels like a dream. "Long time no see."

 

For the first time in many years, Minji feels her heart skips a beat. She can't say anything; the wordless distraught is stuck in and her mind is caught in a frenzy. The whole scene is too much to take in. Just why? Lee Siyeon. What is she doing here after so many years? What does she want?

 

"Earth to Minji, are you going to let me in?"

 

"Yeah, hi, of course, come in," Minji stutters a little but she still gives her best smile as she invites the woman into the house. And she momentarily notices the new hairstyle that the woman has gotten and she thinks that it complements her facial features better than the previous one. "Um, how did you get here?"

 

Siyeon takes her shoes off and Minji helps her with the luggage, "Ah, thanks," and the latter pulls it to a stop just beside the sofa. "I asked Yoohyeon for your address and she gave it to me. Hope you don't mind or something," The woman says, looking around the house in awe. "Nice house by the way."

 

"Thanks."

 

Of course Minji won't mind. Even after Siyeon reveals her intention to borrow a night of stay at her house, she doesn't reject. She is more than willing to help her out. Just like if Yoohyeon or Yoobin, or any other friends who suddenly shows up at her house, she will also do the same. Like what Yoohyeon has always told her, far away from home in a foreign city, they have to take care of one another.

 

This is just like helping an old friend, Minji convinces herself.

 

"The bathroom is in the kitchen and if you're hungry, there's some leftover food in the fridge."

 

Busy footsteps shuffle across the house as Minji helps Siyeon settles down into the guest room that used to be occupied by her sister when she came to Seoul before her college started. It is only after countless words of assurance from Siyeon, telling that she would find her way around, and after the sound of the running water in the shower echoes, Minji retreats to her own room, preparing to turn in for the night. But she still keeps her eyes open, just in case the guest needs something else. And she eventually falls asleep with the lights still on and her phone left uncharged.

 

When Minji wakes up the next morning, feeling grumpy as usual, the intruder is long gone, leaving behind only a plate of ham and omelette (which looks a little burnt to be honest). She opens the fridge to find the remaining eggs missing and there's a can of opened ham that is poorly covered. Then, she sees a blue post-it note attached to the plate: 

 

Thanks for last night and sorry for leaving first. Work. Gotta rush. I'll text you again soon, okay?
P.S. My culinary skill has improved, don't you think so? <3

 

And Minji agrees with the woman for the first time when she takes a bite.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"A biotechnologist? So, you continued biomedical?"

 

Siyeon's promised text comes very late - many days, almost a week after their unexpected meeting. And Minji becomes anxious, almost regretting about her decision of wanting to accept the girl's return back into her life again.

 

"Yeah, I have a degree after all. Shouldn't let those four years of studies go to waste," Minji hands the cup of water over to the guest, placing her own onto the coffee table as she sits down on the sofa perpendicular to where Siyeon is sitting at.

 

"Ah, of course you would. You're Kim Minji, one of the top scholars in the director's list after all. You will do well wherever you go." If Minji doesn't know Siyeon, she would think that she is being sarcastic.

 

And she smiles faintly, thinking fondly about how Siyeon and her group of friends, especially Yoohyeon, used to make fun of her because of that. Back then, there was a rumour about how a particular girl had gotten into the director's list because she slept with her professor. Thinking about it now, it seems ridiculous.

 

"We all need to make a living. So if it pays well, why not?" Minji says.

 

"True, true. You know how we used to talk about not giving up on our dreams even though I didn't have one but in the end, it's money that's keeping us alive. Bills after bills are literally sitting at home waiting for me to clear."

 

"Life of an adult."

 

"More like a poor peasant," Siyeon chuckles and brings the cup to , letting the faltering laughter drown into the drinking water. It is then Minji realised how much she has missed hearing them.

 

The time on the clock continues to tick and the motion of Siyeon's mouth doesn't stop. She just keeps on talking and talking, to a point that Minji actually thinks that she is chasing after the minute hand. And the assertiveness in the voice, as if she is trying to ease whatever void or tension that is left between their words, is starting to bug her mind. She doesn't even know where they have come from.

 

Then, her eyes fall onto the distance between them and everything makes sense.

 

"What about you?" Minji asks as she shifts uncomfortably in her seat, trying to not sound too concerned about the woman's well-being.

 

"Me?"

 

"Yeah, like, what do you do?"

 

It is intriguing how their conversation is still lurking around the tip of the iceberg.

 

"Oh my god, Minji, you don't know how terrible the job hunting went. I wish I had listened to you back then," Siyeon says with her gaze on Minji and the latter actually thinks that those eyes are full of admiration. She must be thinking too much. "Maybe if I had studied harder, I wouldn't have met with so many rejections. They either want a good GPA or experience." And she snaps her fingers, "Fortunately, I still manage to find a job though with that lousy grade."

 

"So, what's exactly the job that you've found?" Minji repeats the unanswered question, reminding the woman about how she has gotten side-tracked again.

 

"You will be surprised," Siyeon says. "I fly around."

 

"A pilot?"

 

"Of course not, I'm not that good." Siyeon shakes her head in disbelief because Minji actually thinks that she is capable enough to make it onto the pilot's seat. "Not even close," And she smiles inwardly, maybe it isn't a bad thing. "I'm just a flight attendant."

 

That explains why Siyeon only got into contact with her after so many days.

 

"I see. So, you've been flying all these whiles? Since graduation?" Minji is indeed surprised because she can't fathom the thought of the woman being in the service line and dealing with difficult passengers. She thinks that being a pilot might make more sense.

 

"Yeah, I was in Busan previously, mostly flying to neighbouring countries, like Shanghai and Osaka, and now they put me back in Seoul, for god knows what reasons," Something about the trailing voice tells Minji that the woman isn't feeling so thrilled about returning. And she can only wonder.

 

"I heard that it pays well."

 

"Mmm, the pay is the gem," Siyeon nods with a grin, "If not, I wouldn't have taken up the job." Then a frown shows up immediately after that. "But it's very tiring though and I just started taking up long routes. Jet lags. Shouldn't have accepted that."

 

"You can travel to more places."

 

"Sure but it does get boring."

 

"It's called a job for a reason."

 

There is a moment of silence as Siyeon leans sideways onto the armrest, her head resting onto her palm and Minji thinks that she sees a tinge of sadness across her face before it is quickly replaced by a smile. After all these years, she is still not good at hiding her emotions. "I think it's still hard for me to get used to it," Siyeon murmurs. "You know, the concept of being an adult."

 

Concept of being an adult. Minji never had the chance to dwell deeper into the deciphering but in the midst of the never-ending hustle and bustle, she thinks that it is a mixture of spending countless nights in loneliness and not having enough time to do whatever one wants.

 

"I think everyone feels the same."

 

"I know but sometimes, especially when you finally got a break from work and were just doing nothing, you would accidentally think too much into those thoughts. And then, I don't know how or why, your emotions would suddenly become much more significant than anyone else's."

 

"I understand but it's just a phase. You will get over it."

 

"You think so?"

 

"Mmm," Minji nods, suddenly feeling the urge to grab the woman's hands and assure her that everything will be alright. But the rational part of her brain tells her not to and she will listen. "Just keep yourself busy throughout the day. When you're burnt out, you'll have no more effort to think about anything else."

 

"Makes sense. You always know what to do, Minji," The pair of eyes won't stop staring into hers and Minji has a really bad premonition about it. Especially when she has a long history of her heart being messed around by Siyeon. "But since I have you here with me now, I guess you won't mind taking care of another poor soul, right?"

 

"I... actually mind. Unless you're willing to pay me."

 

Siyeon pulls a face and pouts, "Ow, you're still as mean as ever."

 

"Only to you."

 

"But, you know, Minji," The way her name rolls off Siyeon's tongue with the familiarity like how she owns it tugs at Minji's heartstring, she misses that but she isn't sure if she wants to hear the rest of what she is going to say. "Seeing you again feels great. It makes me feel like I'm back in college all over again. And damn, I really miss those days."

 

Perhaps Minji shouldn't doubt her words, perhaps she should embrace her return with an opened arms because everyone deserves a second chance. Then again, she would be reminded of how Siyeon suddenly disappeared in her life without any words and leaving Minji constantly worrying about what she has done wrong over the years. The irresponsibility on her side irks her and she didn't want to admit but her absence actually hurts her more than it should.

 

And she doesn't like how Siyeon could casually pick up the fragments from the past and talk about them as if nothing has ever happened before. It is unfair.

 

Still, Minji forces a smile, "Yeah, me too."

 

Minji wanted to get angry, she wanted to demand answers from her but a beaming grin appears in her sight and everything suddenly feels right. The unsettledness diminishes. And she quickly shifts her gaze away from the smile, afraid that if she stares for too long at it, she will fall even deeper into the pit of unresolved feelings.

 

"It's getting late. I think I should go," Siyeon's voice breaks Minji out of her strings of thoughts as the woman stands up, running her palms down her skirt to smoothen the crease between the folds.

 

And Minji stands up, a little later, pursing her lips with her hands idled on both sides before her palms move to rub against the fabric on her thigh. "Right," she nods. "You're flying tomorrow?"

 

"Nope, that's why I can be here catching up with you," Siyeon says, lifting the cup to to gulp down the remaining water. "By the way," her finger loops its way between the handle, swinging the empty cup from side to side, "Where do I put this?"

 

"Oh, it's okay. Just put it down. I will wash it later."

 

Minji watches carefully as Siyeon had a brow raised, her expression go through different phases of hesitation before settling onto an understanding smile. "Mmm, alright then. Thanks."

 

Picking up her bag, Siyeon heads to the door and Minji doesn't forget to scan her eyes over the couch, in case the woman has left anything behind. She didn't. Then, she follows after Siyeon and her eyes catches onto the name card that she had given to the woman earlier on. A line of wrinkles has formed at the edge and she thinks that Siyeon must have caused it by repeatedly folding it. Old habits die hard.

 

"So," Siyeon halts a step away from the door and turns around, the lingering gaze falls onto Minji's wavering one. "I'll see you again?" The hopeful tone in her last word can't help but give Minji some ideas. 

 

"Why not? When we're both free, I guess?"

 

"Good to hear that."

 

The chilly air blows into her face and Minji almost shivers, hugging her arms closely against her chest. Peering over at the darkened sky, she starts to wonder if Siyeon will be able to make it to the subway station in time for the last train. A nagging voice in her head is harping onto her mind, insisting that she should ask the girl if she wants to stay the night instead.

 

"Alright, I really need to go now. Thanks for tonight."

 

But between the shifting dilemma of asking Siyeon to stay or letting her leave, the fading footsteps are faster than her thoughts being put into action. Minji watches on as Siyeon turns away from her, her back distancing further and further away from her until the end of the corridor, along with the clicking of her heels, until she is completely out of sight.

 

In the end, Minji still did nothing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

They meet up a lot - for movies, for lunch and dinner, or sometimes just hanging out in Minji's house, doing nothing but wasting the whole day away. And every time Siyeon comes back from a trip, she never fails to bring back souvenirs for her. Chocolates, local snacks, scarfs, purses, keychains...

 

Minji already told Siyeon that she doesn't need any of these but the woman still insisted. And she can't stop wondering just what all of these truly mean. One thing that she is certain however, is that Siyeon's return has brought back the long-lost joy that she has been trying to find, as if a missing part of her life has been filled up. No more toss and turn on the bed, no more late nights spent outside.

 

"You look happier these days," her colleague tells Minji one day when they are having lunch.

 

She smiles unknowingly, "Do I?"

 

"Yeah, there, that's it, you should smile more. Your smile is pretty, you know?"

 

And Minji thinks that maybe, she will leave things be for now.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Apparently, being single at the age of twenty-eight is a huge deal. As if the pressuring during college wasn't enough, now, miles away across cities from each other, Minji's phone will still be ringing constantly with concerns about her love life from her mum. She even mentioned something about signing her up for a match-making session. It is ridiculous.

 

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Siyeons asks, attention unable to tear away from the buzzing of the vibrating phone which has been going off for a while already.

 

"It's just my mum. I will call her back later."

 

"What if it's something important?"

 

The buzzes stop and Minji switches her phone to airplane mode, putting it aside with the screen facing downwards as her attention returns to the question. The corner of her lips lifts upwards, thinking about clueless the woman is, "What can be more important than arranging a match-making session for her daughter?"

 

The tongs in Siyeon's hand is dropped and she bursts out laughing, her hand not ready to cover and the half chewed meat is spitted out, earning a look of disgust from the other woman. "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry," she quickly grabs the napkin and cleans up the mess on the table before continuing laughing. She didn't think that match-making still exists in today's time. "You serious? You're not playing a prank on me, right?"

 

"I'm serious, idiot. Stop laughing!"

 

"I can't believe this," Siyeon says as she takes a sip of water to catch her breath. "Wow, just wow," and she raises a thumbs-up, which only fuels Minji's displeasure further. "Eommonie is really something. I still remember what happened at your house. Is she really that eager to marry you off?"

 

Minji sighs and nods, "According to my mum, a woman after thirty is an old hag."

 

"Oh dear, then you only have two more years left. You better go for the match-making before you turn into one."

 

"No way, that's pathetic," Minji shakes her head. She thinks that match-making is for people who has either many failed relationships or can't find a partner because of whatever reasons. Neither of the categories fits her. She is fully capable of finding one, it's just a matter of whether she wants to or not.

 

"Yes, yes, go for it," Siyeon says enthusiastically. "Don't be shy. Who knows, you might be able to meet your prince charming who is willing to take in this old hag. Or even better, meet a rich guy and you don't have to worry about the rest of your life. You can even quit your job. I'm sure Eommonie will be very happy."

 

"That's enough, Lee Siyeon, I'm offended," Minji warns, lifting her chopsticks and is about to put the piece of chicken into her own mouth when she catches Siyeon's gaze trailing the food with an opened mouth, causing the couple from the neighbouring table to look at them weirdly. She quickly put it in the other's mouth and beckons her to come closer, not sure why there's an urge to whisper, "First, you laughed at my plight. Then now, you're actively encouraging me to go for it. What kind of best friend are you? Aren't you supposed to be helping me."

 

"Okay, okay," Siyeon swallows the food in , "Fine, if you want advice," And she clears , trying to set up a serious mood. "Then give it a try. If it works out, then good for you, you find a potential husband. If not, at least your mum will stop bothering you about it. Either way, you got nothing to lose."

 

"What a brilliant idea you have there!" Minji scoffs, thinking that the woman will be better off not saying anything.

 

"Well, you said you wanted advice and I gave it to you."

 

Minji frowns and let her stare lingers at Siyeon's, a little unsure at the unusual advice, "Really? You think that I should go for it?"

 

"Uh huh, why not? You're single anyway."

 

And Minji has no words for that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minji listens to herself a lot. Call her stubborn or self opinionated, she doesn't like to heed advice from others. Because this is her life and she doesn't think that other people should have control on it. So, at this moment, she keeps on questioning the sanity in her head, thinking if she's crazy to actually listened to Siyeon's advice. Because how could she have agreed to this match-making session that readily without giving a second thought about it?

 

Yes, she is single, and he is single too, of course. And yes, he is really good-looking. But that is beside the point. The whole thing just doesn't feel right. Even when they are at this fancy restaurant, it still doesn't feel like she agreed to this from the bottom of her heart.

 

"Can I have one Spaghetti with Salsa and Mint Sauce?" Minhyuk (he introduces himself as Lee Minhyuk earlier) tells the waiter as he casts a concerned glance over to Minji, whose eyes seem to find it hard to settle on a dish. The names of the dishes are so foreigned perhaps as she is not used to Western Cuisine but she still has to act like she is okay with it.

 

"What will you like to have?" Minhyuk asks.

 

"I'm not sure though."

 

"It's okay, take your time. No rush."

 

Minji put her fingers under her chin as she browses through the menu meticulously with a frown. Pasta is out of question for today, maybe she'll just have rice, "Hmm, I think I'll have a Caramelised Salmon with Rice."

 

"Okay, so one Spaghetti with Salsa and Mint Sauce and one Caramelised Salmon with Rice," The waiter repeats the order. "Any drinks for the two? Or do you want to top up your meal to a set? A set comes with the soup of the day, any drinks of your choice, all refillable except for wines, and a desert."

 

"Um-,"

 

A set seems too much and it sounds expensive too considering that she has a small appetite. She turns to her date who seems to look more confused than her at everything. 

 

They end up getting just the individual meals and two iced water when Minji suggested that she wouldn't be able to finish so many food. And with the way the grin is plastered onto Minhyuk's face, she figures that he must be singing the same sentiment. 

 

"So, I heard from my mum that you work in biomedical field?"

 

"Yeah," Minji nods after taking a sip of the iced water.

 

The food is slow but it allows Minji to take a proper look at her date again. Minhyuk wears glasses, he has a nice smile and is wearing a buttoned checkered shirt with his hair nicely gelled. He looks neat and well-dressed from head to toe but Minji can't help but notices how his hand is constantly tugging at the tie on his neck.

 

"What is it about? Like, what do you usually do in your job?" Minhyuk asks.

 

"Mostly things like researching, experiments, designs," And Minji pauses when she notices Minhyuk's neck turning red as he continues rubbing the same spot. "Um, you can take off the tie if you're uncomfortable with it." She says with a concerned look. "I don't mind."

 

"Can I? You're really okay with it?"

 

"Yeah, go ahead," Minji assures.

 

The hand that was tugging onto the tie goes to the knot to loosen it. Minji watches as Minhyuk exhales a deep breath of relief immediately after the entire tie is off from his neck. And he removes the top button of his shirt to breathe better. He seems to be contented and more relaxed without it.

 

"Oh my god, this is so much better," Minhyuk says, rolling the tie and keeping it into his shoulder bag. "I'm so sorry that you have to witness this. I'm a wedding photographer, you see. So, I seldom wear formal outfit."

 

"Ah, I see. It's okay." Now it makes sense.

 

The rest of the date goes on smoothly and Minji is quickly amazed by how good Minhyuk is in leading the conversation. He talks about anything and everything; there is never a dull moment and Minji thinks that even though she isn't much of a people-person, she truly enjoys chatting with him. He surprises her further with his honesty and straightforwardness when he admits that this is his first time in a fancy restaurant and that if it wasn't his mum who had forced him to come, he wouldn't have done so. 

 

Same, same, Minji thinks.

 

And when night comes, after a quick walk by the river, Minhyuk has insisted to send Minji back home personally even though she had politely declined. He claims that it won't be safe for a lady to be roaming around the streets on her own late at night. She can't say no.

 

"Thanks for today's. It was nice knowing you," Minji says with a smile and shuts the car's door. 

 

Minhyuk gets down and follows along, "No problem. The same goes for you too. It's my honour to spend the evening with a beautiful lady like you." And Minji blushes because she usually hear these compliments behind her back rather than right in her face. "Shall I send you up?"

 

"No, no, it's okay," Minji stops the advances immediately and takes a step back, not wanting to trouble him any further. "I can go up by myself. You've done a lot already. I feel bad."

 

"Don't be, that's what a man is supposed to do," Minhyuk chuckles. "But okay, if the lady insists, I shall not impose you any further." And he returns to his car, "Hope you have a good night rest then. And, see you next time?"

 

Minji smiles, "Sure, goodnight to you too."

 

The day has been great. Turns out that a match-making session isn't as bad as Minji thought it would be like. Or maybe she is just fortunate to have met someone like Minhyuk. He is good-looking and comfortable to talk to. And Minji really appreciates the way his eyes kept searching for her gaze whenever she talked. It feels good to be taken care of, to be honest and she thinks that she can look forward to their second meeting.

 

Until she sees the familiar figure at her door and she is instantly thrown back into reality. Fishing her phone out, she finds a few missed calls and some unread messages. She has almost forgotten that the woman is coming over for a stayover tonight.

 

"Kim Minji, you're so late today," Siyeon says and leaps forward, a little too impatiently and she stumbles forward when she misses her step, almost falling off her balance if not for the pair of arms that have caught her timely. "Oh thank god, I nearly disfigure myself."

 

"Be careful, will you?" Minji chides.

 

The door is unlocked and lights are on. Minji places the set of keys back into the key holder and watches as Siyeon lays herself comfortably onto the couch like she always did whenever she came over, a loud thud echoes in the air, and the luggage stays by the door because the woman always borrowed Minji's pajamas anyway. Their sizes are similar but Siyeon would occasionally question her choice of design.

 

"I saw that, Minji." Siyeon suddenly sits up and says with a smirk. "That guy downstairs."

 

Minji blinks her eyes in confusion, looking lost for a moment before she catches up onto the woman's words, "Oh, that." She paces around the countertop with her back turned, not sure if she should be honest with Siyeon. "He is Lee Minhyuk. He is the guy that I went to meet with for the match-making."

 

"Oh, so you really went for it." Siyeon sounds surprised.

 

"Yeah," Minji says nonchalantly. "Because you told me to?" And she turns around to find Siyeon staring at her with an unreadable expression. And Minji does the same. Then, she doesn't know where the tension comes from but she suddenly feels the need to explain herself, afraid that the woman will misunderstand. "But this is just the first date. We're just getting to know each other better."

 

"Oh, I see..." Siyeon nods and breaks into a wide smile. "Good for you then."

 

"Yeah, he's quite a nice guy."

 

And Siyeon surprises Minji with her abnormality when she strolls over to Minji's side and links their arms together, acting all chummy before dragging her towards the same couch with her. The clinginess reminds Minji of how the woman used to be like in college whenever she was trying to get something out of her except that she doesn't know what it is this time, "So... care to tell me more about what is nice about him?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

They exchange texts a lot. They also went out a lot.

 

Minji was hesitant at first because she doesn't want to be the type of person who neglects her best friend over someone who she hasn't known for a long time just because he is a potential boyfriend. She feels guilty especially when she has already cancelled a few of their dates for Minhyuk's. But every time she asks Siyeon, the woman says that she doesn't mind and only further encourages her with an assuring grin, saying that she shouldn't let the opportunity slips by.

 

"I'll come pick you up in about ten minutes' time," Minji vaguely hears Minhyuk says over the phone, her focus slightly distracted when Siyeon comes into her room and jumps onto the bed, her body all sprawled out, eyes catching onto the pink turtleneck dress and the black blazer jacket.

 

"You there, Minji?"

 

"Oh, yeah," Minji breaks the eye contact with the woman who is now shaking her head and putting the clothes that she has prepared to wear out back into the wardrobe before continuing to ransack her belongings. She stops the moving hand and brings the phone closer to her ear. "Sure, I'll be ready by then." 

 

"Take your time, Minhyuk-ssi! Minji isn't ready yet. She is still-,"

 

Minji quickly hangs up after muttering a quick 'see you', "What the?" And her expression distorts further when Siyeon pries herself off her grip and picks out the only sleeveless dress among the others that she had bought out of impulse when she went shopping with her colleague the other day. She regretted badly.

 

"No, this is too body-hugging."

 

"But you got a great figure, why are you so afraid to show it?" Siyeon questions as she flashes the piece of dress against Minji with a satisfied grin.

 

Has she been checking her out?

 

Minji looks into the mirror at herself, meeting Siyeon's encouraging gaze and somehow ends up partially agreeing with what the woman has said. Maybe the time has come for her to try something new.

 

"There you go," Siyeon compliments and pats her after Minji put the dress on. "See, you're so pretty now."

 

When Minhyuk arrives at the doorstep to pick Minji up, Siyeon pushes her forward and urges for her to go ahead and enjoy the date after reminding the man with a glare to take care of her best friend along the way. The wide smile never leaves Siyeon's face as she waves her goodbye and watches her best friend go.

 

And Minji smiles.

 

Maybe she is just thinking too much.

 

Except that when Minji comes back home from the date, every time, no matter how late it was, she never fails to find the woman still here, and she assumes that she is waiting for her even though she had already fallen asleep on the couch. And she would grab a spare blanket from her room and drape it across the woman's body, which sometimes causes her to wake up and move into Minji's room.

 

Still, Minji doesn't know what to make out of this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"... And then there was this one time when an old couple who has been married for many years came up to our studio, saying that they want to re-shoot their wedding photos in the exact same location that they did fifty years ago. The wife was having difficulties walking so her husband just held her hand for the whole time. You won't believe..."

 

Minji doesn't like to be rude for no reason especially when she is out on a date with someone whom she has to leave a good impression on. Minhyuk has invited her to a wedding shoot that he has taken up and she thinks that it was interesting, considering that she has never been to one before. The dandelion field felt nice, the bride was pretty and the shoot wrapped up smoothly but none of them is able to take away the worries in Minji's head.

 

Because she hasn't seen Siyeon for close to a week. The woman hasn't replied to her texts and all her calls have been left unanswered. And she becomes frantic again, her thoughts gone wild, afraid that something bad has happened to her best friend because she was never out of contact for that long. And another part of her starts to think if she is somehow angry at her? Is it because she has been spending too much time with Minhyuk recently?

 

Minji is out with someone else and honestly, she loves hearing Minhyuk talk but all she can think about is Siyeon, Siyeon and Siyeon at the moment. And she isn't liking it so far. 

 

"You keep on staring, makes me feel like you're not listening. Are my stories boring you?"

 

Minhyuk's words break Minji out of her trance as she catches onto the slight unhappiness in his voice, "Oh, no, I'm so sorry." And she grits her teeth and rubs the back of her neck apologetically, "I was thinking about something else."

 

"You don't have to apologise. I was just joking."

 

Minji is relieved but she still feels sorry, "If you don't mind, what were you saying again?"

 

"Nothing really important, I was just sharing some unique stuff I've experienced through my photography career but never mind about that," Minhyuk lets out a warm smile and crosses his arms before turning to Minji with a pair of concerned glance. "Wanna share what's on your mind instead? Maybe I can help?"

 

The offer seems tempting.

 

"Nah," Minji lies, a little too tired to explain further. "It's just some work related stuff."

 

"Too much of it?"

 

Minji sighs and nods, "Could be."

 

Lying isn't Minji's forte because she can already tell from Minhyuk's delayed expression that he is not believing her words. Still, she is thankful that he doesn't probe further, "Since the lady is feeling tired, let's just call it a night for now. I'll send you home."

 

"No, it's okay, I-,"

 

"Don't worry, the movie opens until the end of the month. We can watch it another day."

 

Minji is about to protest again when Minhyuk sheds himself out of his outer wear and brings it around her arms before grabbing her hands and taking her away from the cold night. The car ride is quiet until Minhyuk cracks an old joke, something about a mouse and a duck, which Minji thinks it's really funny (Although he isn't as funny as Siyeon but she doesn't mind). Then, he shows her a magic trick. The atmosphere lightens up and the thought of Siyeon is momentarily thrown to the back of her head. They end up having a warm dessert by the roadside before heading home.

 

But, at the end of the day, when Minji is all alone in her room, it's still the thought of Siyeon that keeps her up all night until she eventually runs out of consciousness and drifts off to dreamland.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It takes three more days when Siyeon finally calls Minji back (and it takes a lot of restrains for her to not scream into the phone), voice filled with fatigue, explaining that she has to go back to Daegu to attend her grandmother's funeral who has passed away due to a heart attack, in which the latter feels relieved because at least she is safe and sound, and that nothing bad has happened to her.

 

And it takes another two more days, after a full afternoon of pacing around in her own house, after many failed attempts of trying to get the unnecessary thoughts out of her head, for Minji to realise that this whole situation isn't fine at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Minji? You didn't tell me that you're coming."

 

Those are the first words that Minji hears right out of Siyeon's mouth over the span of two weeks as soon as the door is opened after relentless rounds of pacing up and down outside her rented apartment. Siyeon must have been very surprised because it is late at night and both of them have work the next day. But Minji can't take it anymore; she has had enough. She needs to see the woman. She needs answers. No more playing around, no more guessing and hiding and no more running around in circles.

 

"Why did you come back?" Minji asks, lifting her head to meet Siyeon's gaze and she has never regretted her action so badly because all that greets her sight is a pair of puffy eyes. She hates all the more that she can easily see through the sadness that the woman is hiding beneath the facade. It makes the confrontation even harder.

 

"Huh?"

 

Nevertheless, Minji asks again, this time with more certainty, "I said, why did you come back?" And she presses her palm against the door just in case the woman is thinking about backing away and closing another door on her again. Because this time, she is not going to let her.

 

"Wh-what? You came all the way here just to ask me this? You know already, don't you?"

 

The easy tone in her voice, whether Siyeon is really clueless or trying to brush off the topic, put her off. And the fact that the woman is still all smiles in the midst of her own confusion as if everything is alright when in fact, it's not, doesn't settle well in her heart.

 

So, Minji struts her way into the apartment voluntarily, tossing her shoes off on the way before sitting down onto the couch with folded arms, not caring if Siyeon actually wants her to be here or not. It doesn't matter. Because if the woman wants to play a fool, Minji can play along with her all night, "You know what I am talking about."

 

There's an ominous silence that has quickly engulfed them, so quiet and the air so stiffened that even though Minji isn't the offender in the interrogation, she still finds it hard to breathe. Then, the door shuts and Minji turns around at the creaking sound. She watches as the smile on the other woman's face falters and she holds her gaze against Siyeon's wavering one, as if she is daring her to come closer. Because aside from the uncertainty, no matter how much she tries, Minji can't see through her thoughts this time. So, Minji only waits, and waits and waits as she continues to show her determination.

 

But Siyeon is stubborn. And she remains unmoved.

 

Minji let out a deep sigh and wraps her head around her arms in frustration, "I don't get it." And she chuckles as if she is mocking herself, "I really don't."

 

Siyeon lowers her head.

 

"You think that the world revolves around you, don't you? You think that you can tell me how much you wish for us to go on for a long time and the next moment, you proceed to take off and boom, you're gone. Just like that. No texts, no calls, no explanations. Nothing at all. And then, six years later, you think you can come back into my life as if nothing has ever happened before."

 

And Siyeon stays silent, knowing all too well that she can't escape anymore.

 

"You left, didn't you? Then don't come back anymore. Why did you still come back?" Minji says, desperate for the long overdue explanation even though she isn't sure if the answer will be what she is looking for.

 

"Because I miss you, Minji."

 

"No, no," Minji hasn't expected Siyeon to be that honest but still, she shakes her head at the absurd answer, thinking about how foolish it will be for her to believe her words again when all the woman has been doing is letting her down. "You don't. You don't get to say that. If you missed me, you wouldn't have left me here all by myself all these years, spending days and nights trying to figure out just what went wrong."

 

"I didn't mean to," Siyeon fiddles with her fingers and tries to explain, her voice visibly shaking. "I really didn't mean to. It's just, I... I was going through a difficult time."

 

"What about me? Have you thought about how hard these six years have been for me? Where were you when I needed you the most?"

 

The sight of Minji in the brink of tears leaves Siyeon in a complete sense of helplessness. Because the woman is always prepared, always know what to do in tough situations. It's never like her to break down easily, just like how it's never like Siyeon to witness her vulnerable side that easily. And it wrenches her heart.

 

"I talked to Yoohyeon. I went to work and purposely stayed in the office or went for dinner with my colleagues till late at night just so that I can tire myself out and go to sleep the moment I reached home. I tried very hard to forget about you but you still managed to creep into my life. You wouldn't let me go even in my dreams. Then, just when I thought that things have gotten better, you come back and tell me that you miss me. And I have to worry about when you are going to leave again."

 

No more words are exchanged because Siyeon knows that no amount of explanations will be enough to make up for her mistake. So, Siyeon steps forward and comes up in front of Minji instead and kneels down, her hand lifting up to cup her face and she manages to catch the single teardrop that rolls down her cheek before it collides onto the floor. Just like how she will be willing to catch her if she ever falls.

 

"Tell me, just what am I supposed to do when all I can think about is you?" Minji pleads.

 

"I'm so sorry. I've never thought about hurting you."

 

Minji grabs onto the other's hand and laces their fingers together, glossy eyes staring straight into the others, sick and tired of hearing the same word. Everything is out now. There is no more secret. And then, she brushes her thumb against the soft skin, "Is it bad?"

 

"What is?" Siyeon whispers softly.

 

"That I still want you back in my life after all these years. Even after how much you've hurt me."

 

Siyeon doesn't answer, she only smiles but that is enough, Minji doesn't want to push her. Because they are going to take their time to fix whatever that's broken and to figure things out slowly, step by step, and pieces by pieces. Until they are sure of what they truly want.

 

 

 

 

 

 

October is a bloom of happiness - Siyeon's birthday, the birth of the newest addition to the Kim's family and the sudden announcement of Yoohyeon's wedding. They knew all the while that Yoohyeon would marry early but what isn't expected is that she would be the first one to do so.

 

Even Yoobin is surprised.

 

"Congratulations!"

 

The loud sound of the clinking glasses echoes in the restaurant and the table of six gulp down their jars of beer within seconds except for Minji and Yoobin who isn't good at handling alcohol. Minji shoots the latter a knowing grin when her boyfriend takes over the jar in her hand with a look of disapproval and replaces it with a cup of warm water. She thinks that Yoobin made the right decision to be together with Ilhoon.

 

"This is the invitation card," Sungjae stands up together with Yoohyeon who is hiding her shy face behind his back and hands each of them a pink envelope coupled with a red ribbon at the front. 

 

"There's still months left to the date. And I am giving all of you enough time to cancel every appointment that you are having on that day. Better show up and not disappoint me." Yoohyeon grumbles which is obvious, at least to Minji that her message is directed to Siyeon. And she is sure that the latter knows.

 

So, Minji interjects before the woman can even say a word, "Don't worry, Yoohyeon. I will make sure that Lee Siyeon shows up."

 

"What even."

 

Yoohyeon smiles, "Thanks, Minji unnie."

 

Gasps of amazement rises as the envelope is opened, revealing the floral laces that run along the top of the card. "Wow, this is really pretty," Yoobin voices out eagerly and Minji nods in agreement as Siyeon shows the elegant design to her.

 

"This is custom made," Sungjae says.

 

"Yeah," Yoohyeon points towards her fiance with a proud grin. "He is the one who draws the design."

 

"That's sweet," Siyeon remarks.

 

"Where did you do it? Is it expensive? I want a custom-made one for my wedding too," Yoobin says as she leans closer to Ilhoon.

 

"I'll give you the address later."

 

And Siyeon immediately nudges Ilhoon on his arms, "Hey, you heard that? Take a hint." Then, she smirks, "When are you going to propose to Yoobin?"

 

Minji's ears perks up at the question as she grins and joins in. "I am curious about it too."

 

"Umm..."

 

All of them burst into laughter at the awkward question and Minji instantly feels bad for the poor man who is trying hard to come up with a satisfactory answer under the gaze of many. Sungjae once suffered the same fate too under Siyeon's merciless mouth when they first started dating, Yoohyeon had told her before. 

 

"We've discussed before that we should build up our financial stability first before talking about marriage," Yoobin speaks up, her grip never leaves Ilhoon's arms.

 

"Yeah," Ilhoon nods.

 

"Look at you. You're already defending him when you're not even married to him yet." Siyeon continues to tease and she cheers inwardly at the blushes on Yoobin's face that screams victory.

 

"Unnie..."

 

"Aish, Lee Siyeon, just eat your food, you're talking too much," Minji says as she stuffs pieces of meat into Siyeon's mouth, trying to wipe that smug grin off her face. She learns no limit to her teasings.

 

"Wait, wait," Siyeon hastily pries off the hand that is feeding her non-stop with shock written all over her face. "What the? Kim Minji!" And she quickly bites onto the food and swallows them without them being fully chewed. "Don't act like you weren't teasing them about it just now too."

 

"I clearly wasn't."

 

"Yeah, right, whatever."

 

"Unnie, I haven't seen you two bicker for a long time. It feels nice honestly," Yoobin suddenly says. "Whenever we met up, it was never full attendance. I almost thought that you two fell out."

 

"See, even Yoobin thinks so," Yoohyeon's words break the dispute and Minji can feel the knowing grin that is shoved into her sight. "So Siyeon unnie and Minji unnie, everything is alright between you girls now? The two of you finally made up?"

 

"Oh, ya'll really fought?" Yoobin seems surprised. 

 

Minji has never told Yoohyeon anything that has happened between Siyeon and herself but she isn't surprised that the woman is aware of it. She always manages to read her mind easily as if her thoughts were bared for her. And she is thankful for all the times that Yoohyeon didn't probe further and only choose to stay by her side quietly. Because even so, those were more than enough.

 

"What are you talking about, Yoohyeon ah? Nothing happened. We have always been close. Right, Minji?" Siyeon says with a tone full of denial and her eyes fall onto the food in front of her.

 

"Uh huh," Minji rolls her eyes before sending Yoohyeon an assuring smile and then another one to Yoobin. "We're good, we're totally good."

 

"If you say so."

 

The rest of the night is spent with the four college friends reminiscing about some embarrassing events that had happened back then. Like how the door of their bathroom was broken and Minji had to endure that one whole week showering in the open with Siyeon's bed directly faced towards her. It has been fun and all until they are told to leave when the restaurant is closing up for the day.

 

And the lights in the streets turn dim, indicating that it's time to part ways.

 

"Take care, alright?" Minji says as she engulfs both Yoobin and Yoohyeon into a tight hug before letting go unwillingly and allowing Siyeon to do the same. "See you girls very soon."

 

"You too, Minji unnie. Remember that work can wait," Yoohyeon reminds as she casts Siyeon a side glance who is patting hard on Ilhoon's shoulders until she finally returns the same with a look of confusion on her face. "You have to eat properly," Yoohyeon continues when she has successfully catches Siyeon's attention. "Gastric is no joke."

 

Siyeon immediately turns towards Minji with a baffled look, "Oh, I never knew you have gastric."

 

"Now you know, unnie," Yoohyeon presses onto her shoulders. "Just help me look out for Minji unnie. I mean, just take care of each other, alright?"

 

"Mmm, of course I will."

 

Minji smiles, her gentle gaze pierces through the true intention behind Yoohyeon's action. This adds on to the list of things that she has to thank her for, "Now you're the naggy one, Yoohyeon."

 

"Right, her nagging has been getting worse and worse nowadays," Sungjae says as he wraps his arms around Yoohyeon, earning laughter from the other presence as the latter grumbles.

 

And when they finally bids goodbye after numerous lingering stares, leaving Minji alone with Siyeon who has suggested to take a walk around the area before heading home. All is silence except for the sound of the passing cars and the beeping of the traffic lights. They continue walking and walking as their bodies occasionally bump onto each other.

 

"A penny for your thoughts?" Minji breaks the silence when she finds the woman staring at the ground with a blank look as if she is thinking hard about something.

 

Siyeon inhales a deep breath, "Hmm..."

 

Minji watches on and waits for the woman to continue her sentence but her anticipation turns into dust when Siyeon says nothing. So, she encourages, "Just tell me already."

 

"Well," Siyeon begins to drag her feet against the concrete ground. "Not trying to sound possessive but Yoohyeon seems to know more stuff about you than me." And she purses her lips, "I mean, you told me before that I'm the closest person to you, you know." 

 

Even though Siyeon finishes off her words with a smile, Minji can still sense the hesitation that has escaped between every breath, as if she is debating whether she should be honest or not. Minji thinks that she has made the right decision though. The jealousy is an entertaining sight. Still, she keeps her cool and tries not to let the chuckle slips through the cracks. She doesn't want to embarrass the woman.

 

"We rented an apartment together for a period of time after graduation," Minji explains.

 

"I know, she told me that."

 

"But more importantly, Yoohyeon was there for me when you weren't. That's how we became really close. Which is something that I can never forget and will always be grateful to her for."

 

"Of course, of course, I understand," Siyeon nods eagerly as if she is trying to get past the topic quickly.

 

But Minji has no intention to stop the conversation. So, she continues and a smile automatically turns up onto her face at the thought of Yoohyeon, "A lot of time, I worry about her because as you know, she is always overly kind to the extent that people might take her for granted but ironically, during that period, she made me feel that it's actually nice to have someone to depend on during hard times."

 

"Mmm..."

 

"Yoohyeon... she is like a younger sister to me. That's why I feel really happy and comforted that she finally finds someone whom I believe will love her the same way she does."

 

"Oh, yeah," Siyeon chuckles and agrees. "Sungjae seems like a nice guy." And she smiles, this time a little wider and more genuine than before. "Ilhoon too."

 

"Yet you were scaring him so much just now."

 

"I was fulfilling my job as Yoobin's unnie. I had to make sure that he is treating our small bean right." 

 

Minji sneers, feeling ridiculous because Siyeon has never once acted like an 'unnie' figure to the both of them, "Forget about it. Yoobin can take care of herself better than you can take care of yourself."

 

"Hmm, that's kind of true," Siyeon says as she laughs it off.

 

"Tsk, silly."

 

A sudden cold breeze blows across Minji's face and sends shivers throughout her body. Not wanting to catch a cold, she quickly buttons up her coat and rubs her palm against each other before warming her cheeks up to stop her lips from trembling. Just as she is about to put her hands into her side pockets to hide away from the cold, she feels another hand grabbing onto hers and pulling her closer. The jerk causes her to stumble a little and she turns to Siyeon with a questioning look.

 

"You can depend on me too when you're tired," Siyeon says as she holds her gaze to the path ahead, too shy to look at the other in her eyes.

 

And Minji tries to fight back a smile in which she fails as she intertwines their hands together and gives it a light squeeze, subtly acknowledging Siyeon's effort. It's the first time she realises how much she yearns to hear those words. It's also the first time she realises how well their hands fit into each other's perfectly.

 

"Cool, I will accept your offer."

 

Minji watches as Siyeon's expression switches between a smile and a blank face within the span of seconds, as if she can't decide which emotions to portray, "So," She bites onto her lips, "Does this mean that I'm still the closest to you?"

 

"Maybe?" Minji answers with a raised brow teasingly, not wanting to give Siyeon a clearer picture. It's not a bad thing after all to let the woman have a taste of her own medicine.

 

"Mmm..."

 

The wind continues to blow as the path back home stretches into the dark night. And their hands continue to hold onto each other in the cold without letting go. Spring isn't even here yet but Minji can already feel the flowers in her heart starting to bloom.

 

Something like... a snow flower.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minji has always thought of Siyeon and herself as polar opposites... not really, but while Minji would be sitting in the corner of the room quietly reading a book, Siyeon would be outside, everywhere, mingling with anyone that she could find in her sight until she got lost in the crowd, until Minji couldn't find her anymore.

 

The woman is like a wind - she come and go - as and when she likes, just like how she would suddenly leave but when she comes back, she would fit back into her life as if they are meant to be.

 

And Minji has to constantly worry about how Siyeon would slip off her grip any time. Except that this time, maybe, just maybe, she thinks that she will be able to find the courage to love the woman again like how she did before and the woman will stay in her life the way she wants her to.

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Year's has always been a joyous occasion - New Year resolutions that were never worked on, alcohol parties, fireworks, countdown... And Minji used to think that it's ironic because of how people think that they are celebrating to a better future when in reality, it's a year closer to death.

 

She never celebrates it because she thinks that it's meaningless.

 

But this year is something different because she has someone by her side and there is a future to look forward to.

 

"Another year is going to pass, Minji."

 

"Yeah," Minji lets out a soft smile as she watches Siyeon chucks down a mouthful of alcohol from the bottle in her hand. "We're turning thirty soon." And she does the same, trying to keep up with the other woman's momentum while feeling amazed at the same time at how the woman doesn't even flinch a bit when the alcohol burns down .

 

It is hard to understand how being a good drinker feels like but what she can't understand more is why did she even agree to join Siyeon in the drinking in the first place when she knows that she isn't good at it.

 

They were supposed to be outside, mingling with strangers and indulging in the midnight fun while waiting for the countdown to start. But something about maneuvering her way through the crowd of bodies and having loud music blasting in her ears put Minji off. Perhaps it is because she is older now or perhaps the recent years of non-stop working has taken a toll on her health, she runs out of energy and gets tired easily. In any way, she isn't interested in wasting a night away on things that she knows she wouldn't enjoy.

 

Because why would she when she has Siyeon here sitting right next to her?

 

"Time passes by really fast huh," Siyeon says as she wipes away the spilled alcohol that has stained the corner of . "How long have we known each other for?" And the end of her brows knit together, "Ten years? Has it been ten years already?"

 

Minji makes a quick mental calculation and shakes her head, "No, not yet." It's close though. Very close. And it somehow surprises her too. "It should be nine years, I think? And another nine months to be exact."

 

"Oh, we're almost there."

 

"Uh huh."

 

"But hey, we're approaching a decade!"

 

"Tsk," Minji rolls her eyes and scoffs at the sudden excitement that lights up on Siyeon's face. "Isn't a decade and ten years the same thing?"

 

"I don't know," Siyeon gives a shrug on her shoulders. "A decade sounds more meaningful like an achievement unlocked, you know, like we've reached a milestone." And she hugs her knees closer to her chest before laying her head on its side, turning face to face with Minji. "Don't you think so?"

 

Then, the familiar sheepish grin shows up on Siyeon's face that doesn't quite match with the chicness that has become apparent over the years, especially when she has lost a significant amount of baby fats around her cheeks.

 

All the curves. All the edges. The merciless years have surprisingly served her well.

 

But Minji is still glad, and she is relieved because ten years later, or a decade later, whatever it is, she doesn't really care. All she knows is that Siyeon is still Siyeon. No matter how much she has changed, she is still the same girl who has brought so much trouble into her life and yet, still manages to make her feel like the most blissful woman in the universe with a single smile.

 

"You know what, Lee Siyeon?" Minji bites onto her lips. "Ten years," And she stares at Siyeon with a prideful grin. "Can you believe it? We actually made it to ten years. I swear you really have a lot to thank me for."

 

"I thought so. Then why are you still here anyway?"

 

"That's the thing. I hate it so much that even after ten years, I still can't get rid of you," Minji says and a deep sigh follows immediately after, one that carries the most truthful feeling from the deepest part of her heart that she wasn't able to show before.

 

"Mmm..."

 

"Won't you tell me, Lee Siyeon? Why is it so hard to get rid of you?"

 

The question seems to have perked Siyeon's interest as she swings the bottle in her hand without letting go of the smug grin on her face. "That's easy. Because I am attractive? And maybe because... I am lovable?"

 

And Minji can't help but chuckles, "I think you're a parasite."

 

"A cute one, right?"

 

"No, an annoying one."

 

Siyeon only makes a face as she pushes her lazy body towards Minji who is now looking towards the sky, accompanied by the sound of the bottle dragging across the carpet that they are sitting in. Then, Minji feels a palm pressing down onto her shoulder and the next moment she knows, she finds a finger poking into her cheek... with Siyeon and her silly grin right in her sight.

 

Out of nowhere, the woman bursts into laughter and so does Minji. She isn't even sure what is so funny about it but seeing the red on the other's cheeks, Siyeon is definitely close to being wasted.

 

"Oh my god, you're so lame!" Minji says with a look of despise.

 

And Siyeon nods, which only makes her laugh more, "I know right?"

 

Whatever Siyeon is doing right now, it must be the alcohol. Yes, it must be that.

 

As the laughter disperses, Minji feels an arm circling around hers and grabbing onto her hand to lace their fingers together, and Siyeon's head settles onto her shoulders. The warmth sings familiarity and everything feels right where they are in.

 

The strands of hair tickles as Siyeon nuzzles her face against the nape of her neck, "If you can't get rid of me, then you should just stop fighting what fate has planned for us. Isn't it easier to just let me stay by your side?" And Minji tries not to let the warm breath that is hitting onto her neck gets into her head. "I can stay with you till forever."

 

"Forever is a long time," Minji says.

 

"I know but if it's with you, I think I can do it."

 

If it's with you, I think I can do it.

 

Minji isn't sure but she thinks that she might be drunk when she hears those words.Or maybe it's because she is getting sleepy that her mind is starting to make up things. So, she shakes her head trying to get out of the drowsiness but it only gets worse. If it's with you... if it's with you... Her head spins and the words keep repeating in her head like a mantra. And she isn't ashamed to admit that she actually likes it.

 

Perhaps Siyeon really did say that.

 

The night is getting deeper and deeper and as silence takes over, Minji continues to drink and drink and drink when she sees Siyeon doing the same. She doesn't know how much time has passed since the alcohol finally runs out but the both of them must have passed out for quite some times already.

 

Minji wakes up to the sound of the tv that they have ditched earlier on. And she gets startled when the two empty bottles that were being tossed onto the carpet knock against each other with a loud clink when she kicks it by accident. But a smile of relief finds its way onto her face when she feels the other presence stirring against her shoulders.

 

"Urg, how long were we out for?" The hoarse voice grunts.

 

Minji looks up at the clock instinctively-

 

11:56 pm.

 

"I don't know. Just in time for the firework, I guess?"

 

Siyeon lets out a long yawn as she rubs her eyes, trying to get out of the haziness but the moment her gaze meets Minji's, the remaining sleepiness melts into a smile and she finds herself leaning in again for a cuddle, "You're so, so comfortable, Minji."

 

"My shoulders weren't though," Minji grumbles.

 

And Siyeon immediately pulls her in into a tighter hug and rubs her palm against her sore shoulders which only fuels the rapid thumping of her heart, "Mmm... I'm sure they don't mind, right?"

 

A just-woken-up Siyeon is so full of affections but Minji can get used to it. 

 

"What do you think, Lee Siyeon? Just so you know, they are not as understanding as me."

 

Siyeon giggles, "Oh yeah? Is that so?"

 

"Uh huh."

 

The weight on her shoulders shifts a little and Minji turns around to find Siyeon staring at her with the pair of glistening eyes, so clear and so glossy that it feels like they are screaming for attention, and Minji doesn't know why but she feels herself getting lost in them. Are they abyss? Even if they are, she is a willing participant and she is diving straight into them.

 

"Stop staring," Minji reverts her gaze away first.

 

"Why not? Have I told you that you look really beautiful tonight?"

 

Minji wants to laugh at the obvious flirting. Even though many people had said the same thing to her, she doesn't think the same. The world is so big and there are many more others who are prettier than her. Who is she to be called beautiful? But somehow, when those words are said by Siyeon, she actually doesn't mind being the owner of them.

 

"No, you haven't," Minji plays along anyway.

 

"Then you hear it now."

 

Minji chuckles as she hides her face away behind her palms, feeling embarrassed and yet amused at the same time, "You are really ridiculous, Lee Siyeon."

 

"But you still love me."

 

"Maybe it was a mistake."

 

"And maybe it wasn't."

 

And Minji doesn't know where she has gotten the courage from when she laces their fingers and collides their foreheads together, "Guess what? I think you may be right."

 

There is a moment of silence as the two woman sits under the starless sky while exchanging knowing glances, both staring hard, occasionally accompanied by a raised brow and a smirk, as if they are challenging each other to initiate the first move while trying to see through their thoughts.

 

Then, a sudden wave of screeching screams jolts them apart.

 

Minji doesn't know where the voices come from, whether they are from the tv or outside, it doesn't matter. What really matters is the warm hand that has somehow made its way up to cup her cheek and the fingers that are brushing across her skin. They are too close. But if the woman wants to get closer... she thinks that she won't mind too.

 

Then, Minji sees the pair of eyes that has landed on her lips. And she does the same.

 

"Everyone, are you ready? Let's start the countdown together in-,"

 

"Ten..."

 

"Nine..."

 

"Eight..."

 

"I'm going to do something weird, Minji," Siyeon speaks, letting the words fade into the vanishing distance between them.

 

"Seven..."

 

"Six..."

 

"Five..."

 

"Four..."

 

And Minji's eyes flicker in anticipation, "Then do it."

 

"Three..."

 

"Two..."

 

"One..."

 

"Happy New Year!"

 

A set of fireworks soar high up into the sky of darkness, followed immediately by another one, and another one, and another one. One after another, the fire bursts into sparkles of colours and explodes right in front of their eyes.

 

Red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange... The sky is lit up with shades of rainbow but Minji doesn't think that any of them is enough to convey the overwhelming emotions inside her. So, she says nothing and just watches in awe as the smoke burns and burns and burns just like the fire that wouldn't stop enkindle in her heart.

 

And she won't let it stop this time.

 

"It's beautiful," Minji lets out a gasp.

 

Another set of firework sets off into the sky.

 

"Yeah," Siyeon whispers beside her. "It is beautiful indeed." And when Minji turns around, her eyes fall onto the gaze that never once left hers. They smile, "But you're still the most beautiful, Minji ah."

 

"..."

 

And then, another set of firework echoes in their ears again.

 

The stranger lips lean in closer, once, twice and thrice and then Siyeon takes her lips completely like it's the most natural thing to do. At first, Minji blanks out as she doesn't know what to do, her mind locked away in a canvas of white. Because she hasn't had much experience in love matters, let alone kissing someone, and it's with a woman this time, with her best friend, with someone who she has been fallen deeply in love with unknowingly since the day she moved into the dorm and injured her toe when she carelessly dropped the bag of clothes in her hand.

 

Lee Siyeon-

 

She tastes like the soju that they had just now, like the bittersweet first love that she hasn't been able to let go for years, like her destinied other half that she is willing to spend the rest of her life with.

 

Is this real?

 

What if it's a joke...?

What if it's just a dream...?

 

And at any time, Minji will wake up and descend back into reality. Because 'happily ever after' is a lie after all; it only exists in dreams that will never cross foot into her path.

 

But when Siyeon begins to pull away at the lack of response, her pupils shivering with doubts and disappointment, and the warmth that just invaded her is about to dissipate, Minji doesn't hesitate to catch those lips back onto hers again.

 

Because those what ifs.

 

Ten years.

 

Minji has waited for a whole of ten years just to know how Siyeon's lips taste like; they have wasted too much time running around in circles and she doesn't want to let an opportunity like this go away that easily.

 

Nothing in life is easy - growing up wasn't easy, neither was waiting for someone who doesn't love her back the same way easy.

 

Even so, for Siyeon, Minji is willing to believe in fairytales.

 

Their lips clash in a rough manner, their noses bump onto each other's clumsily, bursting into a lump of wetness and messiness, and the pair of free hands lifts to cup the other's cheeks eagerly before sliding down to the back of her neck to bring them closer, as if Siyeon will slip past her grip if Minji doesn't hold onto her tightly.

 

"Mmm..."

 

The cold hands travel down onto Minji's back and she nibbles onto Siyeon's bottom lip in return to silence the muffled moans and the arching body that is desperately yearning for her attention, in which the other seems to comply willingly.

 

Lust fills the suffocating air.

 

Everything is just too hot, too wet and too y.

 

So, Minji only continues to let their lips dance around each other as they hold each other close to themselves and roam their hands freely along their bodies, allowing their feelings to guide them to wherever they want to go to. And the remaining doubts drown into the pleasure that each and every touch is emitting.

 

"Minji-,"

 

It feels good to be wanted and needed.

 

But it feels even better to be loved.

 

"Shh," Minji drags her tongue down her collarbone and dips her hand into the shirt before going back up to reclaim the lips that belong to her. "Don't say anything."

 

The crowd outside continues to cheer and tv continues to play in the background. And they continue to kiss, and kiss and kiss for a very long time, as if all the time in the world has frozen and they have entered an alternate universe where only the two of them exist.

 

Tick. Tick. Tick.

 

They only pull away from each other when the dizziness finally sets in.

 

And between the hastened breath and the cheeks flushed with red, Minji only keeps staring at the woman under her, her gaze shifting back and forth between the dishevelled hair and the smudged lipstick marks that have coloured Siyeon's lips with a new shade of red.

 

Somehow, Siyeon has ended up on the floor with Minji hovering over her, the top few buttons of her shirt were popped open, and the latter's hand had riden well past her mid-riff just below her clothed chest.

 

"Wha-," Minji struggles to keep up with her thoughts as the awkward position invades her sight, and she suddenly feeling conscious about what they had just done. 

 

"Pfft-,"

 

Strings of giggles fill her ears as Siyeon laughs and laughs, her body shaking vigorously along with the rhythm of her laughter, and it brings Minji back to reality as she removes her sinful hand and watches on in disbelief while brushing her tongue across her lips, savouring the lingering taste of Siyeon.

 

This... this is real-

Did she-

Did they just-

 

"Holy !" Minji let out a yelp and blinks repeatedly. "We-," And she rolls over and drops her body down onto the floor beside Siyeon while covering , trying to suppress the escaping laughter. "Oh my god!"

 

"I didn't know you're that wild, Minji."

 

And Minji quickly turns away and hides the blushes behind her palms. This is so, so embarrassing, "Shut up, Lee Siyeon! Just shut up!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

By the end of winter, Siyeon has moved in together with Minji after the contract with the apartment that she has rented ends. As much as sharing an apartment with someone else isn't Minji's preferred way of living, seeing cartons after cartons filling up the empty spaces in the house, she thinks that perhaps it isn't a bad thing.

 

Learning to accomodate another one's flaw and learning to accomodate another being into her safety nest - it feels like love.

 

And waking up to Siyeon's morning face beside her - it feels like home.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You haven't told me. Why did you break up with Bora?" Minji asks one night when she can't sleep. And she has to blame it on Siyeon who had insisted on watching a horror film at such a late hour.

 

"Do you really have to know?"

 

"Yeah," Minji lets out a chuckle. "Because you promised to tell me everything."

 

The bed creaks and Minji watches with anticipation as the other occupant turns onto her side to face her while grinning sheepishly, "How about you tell me yours first?" And she leans closer until their noses almost touch. "Why did you stop going out with Lee Minhyuk? You said he is a nice guy."

 

"He isn't the right one for me."

 

"Oh yeah?"

 

"Yeah. Or maybe..." Minji lets the last word lingers a little longer as she mirrors Siyeon's smiling eyes. Her heart almost burst at the distance between them. And her gaze can't help but keep on falling onto the rosy lips. She is beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful. "Maybe because he isn't you."

 

"Mmm," Siyeon seems satisfied with the answer.

 

Minji nudges the woman who is too engrossed in her own world, still smiling as she makes sure that her gaze stays on hers, "What about you? Don't act like you don't have to answer the question."

 

"I guess... it was because she wasn't you too?"

 

"Ohh.."

 

And they lean in teasingly as their nose brushes against each other before closing the distance completely while giggling, except that this time they're both sober.

 

Everything feels so right.

 

So perfect.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Daejeon changes a lot.

 

In that year that Minji left her hometown to Seoul for college, the ice cream truck that she had always frequent by the roadside after school with her friends was still there, the ahjussi in the provision shop who would always chase the kids out for loitering in his shop for too long would still treat her to a candy when she passed by and the rows of eateries down the street, where the ahjummas would always greet her a 'good morning' whenever her bicycle rang down the road were still opened for business.

 

But all of those are gone now. 

 

In the cab back home, she has also noticed many things in the bustling city that she hasn't seen before. More foreigners, more cafes and bars, more tall buildings and including the new subway line that is being worked on at the moment.

 

Yet, the whole neighbourhood has become a lot quieter.

 

"I'm back, mum!" Minji announces her entrance as she slams the door  shut behind her because the old mechanism sometimes wouldn't lock itself properly unless they apply more force.

 

"Oh, Minji, have you eaten yet?"

 

"Yeah, I've already eaten a bento set on the way here," Minji says as she removes her coat and plops herself conveniently onto the couch. And she let out a satisfying grin. It's still the couch that she has grown up lazing on that feels the most comfortable. She won't mind even if she has to sleep on it for the whole her time here.

 

"Are you still hungry?" 

 

"Mmm, not really," Minji frowns as she reaches her hand into her shirt to rub her stomach, showing off her fullness. But when her mum turns away, the slight disappointment showing up with the slouching back, she quickly changes her mind. "Actually... I might be a bit hungry. Can you cook me some noodles, mum?" 

 

A long sigh echoes from the kitchen, followed by another sigh, and another sigh. Then, Minji sees her mum opening the fridge, "Aish, already a grown up and you still need your mum to settle your meal." 

 

Minji chuckles when she catches the ironic satisfaction and pride in her tone. Her mum isn't really good at hiding her true emotions.

 

"Because I miss your cooking, mum." 

 

"That’s why I say, home-cooked food is always the best."

 

Minji nods along, "Of course, of course." 

 

When Minji finally finishes the bowl of noodles filled with an egg and some fishcakes which she didn’t ask for, strings of snores reach her ears and she finds her mum asleep on the rocking chair, swaying with the laziness of the serene afternoon while the drama on the tv is still running.  

 

And Minji does the same.  

 

Her dad returns from work around eight, a little later after dinner time but fornately, they did save some dishes for him. And Minju returns during the mid-week, in which they pay a visit to their grandparents’ grave together on the same day.  

 

The rest of the week is spent on touring nearby parks, temples and shopping malls but most of the time, they are just staying in the house and doing nothing except for using their phones.

 

"If you girls are busy, you don't have to visit us that often," Her dad says one day when they are having dinner, his low voice trembles against the dining table.

 

Minji frowns with displeasure, "Dad, if you say that, I'm really not going to come back the next time."

 

"Then, don't. We old folks can take care of ourselves." 

 

"I finally came all the way back home after one year and yet, you're chasing me out. I'm so sad," Minji pouts and pretends to be hurt (she is really hurt even though she knows that her dad didn't mean it that way).

 

"Aish," Her mum let out the usual long sigh as she stuff with full of food. "If the children wants to come back, just let them come back. Who knows how many more times can they get to see us for?"

 

"Remember Minju told us that Minji's new boss is difficult to deal with? I don't want our daughter to get into trouble because of us."

 

Minji immediately sends Minju a glare and the latter mouths a quick 'What?', trying to shake the responsibility off her shoulders. Big mouth, she clearly told her not to tell anything to mum and dad.

 

But she feels even more sorry when she sees the wrinkles on her their faces, knowing that apart from ageing, they also deepen because of the constant worries for Minju and herself.

 

"Don't worry, mum and dad," Minji reassures them. "Didn't you always say that I'm a grown up now? I know how to handle my own matters."

 

"Mmm, of course, you're my daughter after all," Her dad says.

 

"Yeah, right," Her mum barges into the conversation abruptly. "Of all the good in you, she takes after your workaholic personality. It's all your fault."

 

And Minji only shakes her head and chuckles.

 

The dinner affair turns quiet as they delve into their own bowls. Some things never change. Her mum still like to cook too much food.

 

“By the way, I drove a fortune-teller in my cab this morning and he told me that I will gain another family member this year,” Her dad breaks the silence when he finishes his portion.

 

“Well, that’s certainly not going to be me,” Minju disconcerns herself with the subject at the first moment and leaves the dining table. 

 

“Of course it’s not going to be you,” Her mum sings along and turns to Minji with a mystified grin. And her dad's curious gaze follows along. “So, how is that Minhyuk guy that you have been going out with? Will I be expecting a grandson soon?”

 

And for the first time, Minji doesn't have any answers for them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A fish needs water to breathe; a fire needs oxygen to burn; a princess needs her prince charming to write a happy ending.

 

And as for Minji... she thinks that she needs a world with Siyeon in it to be complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are many things that Minji has to be thankful for - the perfect and yet imperfect family that her parents had given her, all the people who have appeared in her life, whether they are friends who have grown up with her or passers-by who no longer have anything to do with her life, and most importantly... the choices that she has made all by herself.

 

Eighteen was a magical age.

 

Being eighteen was too old to be deemed a teenager and also too young and inexperienced to be an adult. In the end, they were forced to be condemed into a grey area where there were no place of comfort to return to.

 

"I used to be afraid," Siyeon admits suddenly.

 

They just had a nice dinner together at their usual hangout and Minji thought that it's weird when Siyeon insisted on ditching the bus and walking home instead.  Their intertwining shadows grow longer with the street light. The road to home remains long and quiet. But she doesn't mind a bit. As long as it's with Siyeon. 

 

"About what?"

 

"I don't know," Siyeon shrugs. "Maybe about grades, about not knowing what I want in life, about falling in love and getting hurt... about everything."

 

"Mmm..."

 

"Are you going to laugh at me?"

 

Minji chuckles and shakes her head, her eyes twinkle with a glint of happiness as their hands unknowingly find their way onto each other's in this harsh world, "We were all young and dumb."

 

But all the meetings, all the farewells and all the reunions, they're no coincidences.

 

Living together with Siyeon as roommates was a choice; helping Siyeon take down lecture notes and covering up for her absence was a choice; burying her feelings for Siyeon and staying by her side as a best friend was a choice; forgiving and accepting Siyeon back into her life was a choice; kissing Siyeon was a choice and now, picking up the courage to love Siyeon all over again is also a choice. 

 

They've made it this far and Minji wants to live a life properly where she wouldn't regret the choices that she has made along the way.

 

"Can I tell you something?" Minji asks, her voice trembles against the wind and the little boldness almost vanishes into the sound of the passing cars.

 

"Go ahead."

 

They halt their steps when they arrive at the beginning of the traffic junction. The green light at the other end of the road lights up, the street light continues to shine and Siyeon doesn't let go of their hands.

 

But still, Minji hesitates.

 

"You can tell me anything, Minji. I will always listen."

 

And when Minji lifts her head up, she finds Siyeon staring at her with a smile, so determined and assuring, as if she is telling her that - 

 

It will be okay.

Everything will be fine.

I will be right here with you.

 

And Minji would gladly believe so.

 

"I'm gay," She finally let out. 

 

The air stiffens for moment as none of them speaks. All is silence except for the deep breaths of uneasiness that has escaped into the thin air.

 

Minji expected anger; she expected disappointment and she expected confrontation that she would have felt but none of the reactions that she had imagined come true.

 

Instead, what comes after is the same smile that remains unmoved on Siyeon's face.

 

"I know," Siyeon says.

 

"And I love you," Minji confesses in the midst of all the lingering doubts before her fickle mind changes.

 

"I know that too."

 

"And...?"

 

Their lips collide, so slow and so gentle. There isn't a need to rush and there isn't a need to prove that one loves the other more. Because they have all the time in the world to do that if they want to. And Minji gives in easily this time, letting herself go as she allows Siyeon to take her to everywhere she feels like. 

 

And when they finally pulls away, Minji sees herself in Siyeon's eyes, clearly and thoroughly, that's when she realises that nothing else really matters anymore.

 

"And I love you too."

 

If dreams were easy to reach, they wouldn't be called dreams; if love can be explained, there wouldn't be anyone getting hurt because of it.

 

And if there's an answer to every question in the world, there wouldn't be people losing their way along the aimless journey.

 

So, one day, along the way, Minji finally stops searching for answers. Instead, she learns to accept the way things are - her fear for the future, her feelings for Siyeon and for who she truly is.

 

Because if one is meant to stay in her life, he or she will always make an effort to be there by her side no matter what happens.

 

And this time, she is certain about who she wants to be with her for the rest of the life.

 

Through the years, they loved, quarreled, fought and even did foolish things that hurt each other.

 

But at the end of the day, they are still the one who will mend each other's wound and show the world how much they're worth loving and living for.

 

Just like how those glistening stars during countless nights of insomnia would always lead her back to the thought of Siyeon.

 

She once thought that it was fate but now, she thinks that it is more of a choice.

 

Minji was there since the beginning and now, Siyeon will be here together with her to write the continuation of their story - 

 

Counting Stars With You.

 

- Fin -