Chapter 2 - Of Oranges and Jams

How Do I Love Thee

Chapter 2

Dating isn't a foreign concept for me. I don't particularly seek it, most of my friends even tell me I'm one of those rare independent women who isn't bother if they have someone or not.

 

It's true. I'm mostly unbothered by dating. It wasn't something that I crave or want.

 

I date mostly because my sister set me up, or my friends told me to, or because I don't want to go to a party as the only single one. So it's really more of a necessity.

 

No, I don't have a sob story where someone broke my heart and I was too devastated that I resort to freezing my heart. No, I just simply never had that kind of relationship.

 

It's not that I'm heartless and doesn't feel anything for those few people that I dated. I liked them in a certain extent but not to the point where I would say I couldn't live without them. Maybe that's the reason why all of them didn't work or didn't last long, they all said I wasn't too invested.

 

There was actually a point in my life when I asked myself if there's something wrong with me for not being able to feel as much as some other people do. I thought I was broken. Maybe my father leaving us left me a deeper scar.

 

-----

 

To be honest, I didn't want to expect much when I agreed to date you. My negativity thought that that one night we had was a fluke. That it was a one time thing. But of course you had to prove me wrong.

 

You're different. You're not the typical date who would treat me to dinner or just simply watch movie. You took me to a farm to pick mandarins and cook some jams. You even suggested a game, the person who picked the most mandarins wins and gets to make the other do what she pleases. You cheated but of course, I won and I made you do the Ms. Mandarin commercial while I take the video. You really did great and I was laughing so hard when it's done.

"So what would you have asked if you had won?"

"A kiss."

"Yah, I knew you were a ert."

"Ani, you didn't let me finish, I was going to say a kiss on the forehead."

"What do you take me for? A grandma?"

"Where would you want to kiss me then?"

Much to both our surprises, I didn't answer, I just simply kissed your cheek. Then I walked away because I couldn't believe I did that. Just when I realized you're not following me, I looked back just to see you still holding your cheeks and smiling so big.

"Lalisa, you look like a clown. Stop smiling like that it's creepy."

You didn't pay my insult any attention and instead proceeded to shout embarassingly,

"I'm the luckiest loser aliiiivvveee!!!!!"

I couldn't even pretend to be annoyed at your adorable antics.

-----

That first date was followed by more dates. It was exciting every time. Not just because you take me to different places but because you make every minute that we're together counts. There's never a dull moment. We banter like we've known each other for years. I love that we have no reservations. We're that comfortable and our connection was undeniable. You gave 'dating' a better meaning. It wasn't just a task I had to do, it was something that I look forward to.

Dating you made me realize that I wasn't broken beyond repair. That my childhood wounds are meant to heal. That I could just feel just as much as any other person. I realized, I just had to meet the right person...I just needed to meet you.