Chapter four: Sick

Damaged

   Hyungwon could not believe his luck. Hoseok was supposed to come over and Hyungwon was sick. He woke up that morning weak and aching with his nose clogged and his throat sore.

   “Maybe I should stay home,” Minhyuk pressed the back of his hand against Hyungwon’s forehead, wincing at how warm it was. “You have a fever.”

   “No, you can go. I’ll be okay,” Hyungwon rasped before sneezing a couple times. “I’ll just text Hoseok and tell him not to come.”

   “I don’t want you home by yourself, especially when you’re sick.”

   “I’ll be fine. Go on your date,” Hyungwon made a vague shooing gesture with his hand. “I can take care of myself.”

   Minhyuk knew it was the fever talking. Hyungwon wouldn’t want to be home by himself. The younger didn’t even properly know how to take care of himself when sick. Minhyuk sighed before leaving Hyungwon alone in his room. Hyungwon texted Hoseok.

Hyungwon🐸:

     You don’t have to come over now.

Hoseok❤️:

     Aww. Why?🙁

     Did Minhyuk’s date cancel?

Hyungwon🐸:

     No. He’s still going out.

     I’m sick.😷

Hoseok❤️:

     I’m still coming over.

     I don’t want you to be all alone when you’re sick.

Hyungwon🐸:

     I’m not going to stop you from coming over.

     But I’m probably going to be in my room the whole time.

Hoseok❤️:

     That’s fine.

     I just don’t want you by yourself.

     I’ll see you later.

   With that, Hyungwon shut off his phone and went to sleep.

   Hyungwon awoke about an hour later due to his stomach churning uncomfortably. He groaned as he shuffled to the bathroom, clapping a hand over his mouth went he was hit with a wave of nausea. Hyungwon crouched in front of the toilet as he coughed up everything he ate in the last 24 hours. He flushed the toilet and looked up at a concerned-looking Minhyuk in the doorway.

   “Hyungwon, you’re getting worse,” Minhyuk wiped Hyungwon’s lips with a damp paper towel. “Have you taken any medicine?”

   “No, not yet,” Hyungwon went into a fit of wet coughs.

   Minhyuk tsked. “How am I supposed to trust you home alone, sick, when you can’t even take your medicine while I’m here?”

   “I’m not going to be alone,” Hyungwon sniffled as Minhyuk handed him two small pills and a glass of water. “Hoseok said he’s still coming over.” Hyungwon took the pills and downed the water, the cool liquid relieving his throat just a bit.

   “He’s still coming over after you told him you’re sick?”

   Hyungwon nodded.

   “Aww,” Minhyuk held a hand over his heart. “He cares about you and he wants to take care of you!”

   “Shut up, he’s just nice. I’m going to bed.”

 

   A few hours later, Minhyuk is all ready for his date with Hyunwoo. His fading pink hair was soft and fluffy, his eyeshadow and lip tint were on point, and he was wearing a long sweater over black skinny jeans. He also had on a black choker, just because.

   Minhyuk answered the door when he heard a knock. Minhyuk smiles when he opened the door to reveal Hoseok.

   “Hi. You must be Hoseok. I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced,” Minhyuk held out his hand. “My name is Minhyuk. I’m Hyungwon’s roommate and best friend.”

   Hoseok smiled brightly as he shook Minhyuk’s hand and bowed slightly. “It’s nice to meet you, Minhyuk.”

   “Hyungwon is in his room sleeping. He did throw up earlier but I think you should still get him to eat something.”

   Hoseok nodded as he took in the younger’s instructions. “Anything else?”

   “Yeah. He should take some medicine in about an hour. If he’s not awake by then just wake him up. You should also take his temperature then, too. Last time I checked it was 100.3 f (37.9 c).”

   “Alright.”

   “He also might get a bit clingy. He already did the stubborn thing with me so now you get the clingy thing. He might pass his sickness on to you.”

   “I don’t get sick easily aside from a cold from time to time,” Hoseok said proudly. “I have a very strong immune system.”

   “Okay, Hercules,” Minhyuk checked the time on his phone. “I better get going. Hand me your phone so I can put my number in.”

   Hoseok handed the younger male his phone. Minhyuk punched in his number under the contact name “Minyuk🌞”.

   “Text me if anything happens,” Minhyuk said as he slipped out the door.

   Hoseok decided to go check on Hyungwon. He slowly opened the bedroom door as light filtered into the otherwise dark room. He silently crept over to Hyungwon’s bed to take a look at the younger, who was sleeping fitfully. Hoseok watched as Hyungwon’s hands gripped the blanket as he kicked his legs. His breathing sounded raspy and frantic. 

   Hoseok pressed his hand on Hyungwon’s sweaty forehead. The poor thing was burning up. Hoseok heard light whimpers while Hyungwon shook his head. He was having a fever dream.

   Hoseok shook the sick boy’s shoulder to wake him up.

   “Hyungwon. Hyungwon, wake up.”

   Hyungwon’s whines got louder and small tears formed in his eyes.

   “Hyungwonnie, it’s okay, it’s just a dream,” Hoseok continued to shake the boy awake. “Hyungwon, wake up.”

   Hyungwon shot up and broke into a fit of coughs. This caused him to choke and vomit all over his sheets. 

   Hoseok was shocked. He blamed himself for Hyungwon getting sick on his bed. He shouldn’t have shaken him awake. 

   Hyungwon started to cry. Partially because of embarrassment but mostly because his whole body hurt.

   Hoseok noticed Hyungwon’s tears. “Hey, it’s okay. It’s not your fault.”

   Hyungwon didn’t say anything. He just continued to sniffle.

   “Come on, let’s get you cleaned up.” Hyungwon got out of bed only to stumble due to his weak legs. Hoseok helped him by draping one of Hyungwon’s arms over his shoulder. It was a little awkward because of how tall Hyungwon was, but they managed to make it you the bathroom.

   Hoseok sat Hyungwon down on the closed toilet seat and started a bath. Hoseok wet a paper towel to wipe the leftover vomit off Hyungwon’s lips and chin. Hoseok stopped the bath water before turning to Hyungwon.

   “Do you want to be by yourself?” Hoseok felt stupid asking such a weird question. He didn’t want to make Hyungwon uncomfortable so he didn’t want to stay if he wasn’t okay with bathing in front of strangers.

   Hyungwon nodded. “Can you just,” Hyungwon coughed. “Bring me some clothes and a towel?”

   Hoseok nodded and left the room. He went into Hyungwon’s room to find some sleep clothes. He gagged at the overwhelming stench of sick. He quickly dug through Hyungwon’s closet and pulled out a t-shirt and some soft lounge pants and went into the hall closet to grab a towel.

   Hoseok knocked on the door to hear Hyungwon croak a small “Come in”. Hoseok opened the door to see that Hyungwon had closed the shower curtain so the older wouldn’t see him. Hoseok could hear the sound of light splashing as prove of Hyungwon washing himself. Hoseok placed the pajamas on the counter and the towel on the rack before exiting the bathroom.

   Hyungwon got out of the bath about thirty minutes later when the water got cold. When he exited the bathroom, he found Hoseok in the kitchen making ramen. The younger boy walked up behind him and rested his head on Hoseok’s shoulder. Why? He wasn’t sure.

   “Hi, Hyungwon,” Hoseok chuckled when this sick boy wrapped his arms around Hoseok’s waist and buried his face in his neck. Hoseok loved skinship so he found Hyungwon’s behavior very cute, even if he was burning with fever.

   “Can I have some ramen, too?” Hyungwon asked in a small voice.

   “Of course you can,” Hoseok felt the younger boy smile against his neck.

   Hoseok pulled two bowls out of the cabinet and filled them with ramen. He gave Hyungwon a smaller serving that was mostly broth. Both boys went to go sit on the couch.

   They are their ramen in silence. Hyungwon was finished with the noodles and sipped at the broth. He sighed when the warm broth soothed his scratchy throat.

   Hoseok made sure Hyungwon took his medicine. He saw it was starting to take affect when he saw the younger boy nodding off. Hoseok let Hyungwon rest his head on his lap, making sure to drape a soft blanket over him. Hoseok smiled when he heard a content sigh leave Hyungwon’s lips. He started to run his fingers through the sick boy’s damp hair and didn’t fail to notice how he leaned into the touch. Hoseok eventually let sleep take him as well.

 

   Hoseok woke up to the sound of the door being unlocked. He noticed how Minhyuk’s eyes lit up when he walked in and saw the sight before him.

   “Was he too much trouble?” Minhyuk whispered.

   Hoseok shook his head. “It was nothing I couldn’t handle. I did have to change his sheets, but that’s about it.”

   “Why’d you change his sheets?”

   “He threw up in his bed.”

   “Oh,” Minhyuk knelt down and Hyungwon’s cheek. “I can take it from here.”

   “I don’t want to wake him.”

   “You won’t. He’s a heavy sleeper.”

   Hoseok gently lifted up Hyungwon’s head so he could get out from under him. He made sure to place a throw pillow under the sleeping boy’s head so he wouldn’t wake up with an aching neck. He cupped Hyungwon’s warm face in his hands.

   “I’ll see you soon, Hyungwon,” Hoseok kisses the sleeping boy’s forehead.

   Minhyuk screamed internally.

————————————————————————

   Hello~ Wow, long chapter today. I would like to apologize to blue1016 (and anyone else) for reading this chapter before it was finished. I hadn’t realized I didn’t set it to “draft”. Oops. 😅

   I also want to let you guys know that I am a comments . I love comments, even if they are silly. Don’t be a ghost reader! 

   Until next time. Kisses 😘