Final

The Merman

 

(There are probably so many mistakes, so bare with me. )

 

 

 

 

 

There once was a merman, a prince to be exact. His father was a fair leader. He was respected by all his subjects and in return, respected each one of them back. Every mermaid and merman followed his rules without questioning because they knew the Sea King only wanted them to be safe and protected. His main law was for a merperson to never go above the surface. 

 

Now the prince, on the other hand, always questioned his father's rules. He knew his father only wanted what was best for him, for everyone, but he was still curious. He always left the castle and explored. He loved to find human objects and was always fascinated by each and every one of them. He rarely went above the water, but whenever he did, it always made his day. He loved the feeling of the sun on his skin, the wind in his wet hair, and maybe getting to see a human from afar. 

 

But he always ended up getting caught by his father's servant, and he gets yelled at by his father every time. He never wants to disappoint his father, it's never his intention, but he always happens to. He knows he shouldn't break the rules, but he couldn't stop. He loved doing it, and he loved the fascination of it all. 

 

Now Jinyoung wasn't the only child, but he was the youngest. So naturally everyone was more protective of him. His every move is almost always watched, and he always has to shake his stalker away when he goes to find more human objects. But it has become a routine now, so he's used to it. 

 

"Do you not get it, Jinyoung?" His father yelled at him again after learning he went to the surface. "You could make this whole kingdom become in danger if you get caught by those barbarians. Do you know how dangerous it is? Do you know what those humans could do to you if you were caught? Apparently not because you keep going to the surface again and again after I've told you not to." He was fuming by now. Jinyoung has never seen his father get this mad at him before. 

 

"I'm sorry father, I really am, but you don't get it. They aren't bad. I've seen them. The aren't what you say. They're just like us." Jinyoung said trying to get his father to just understand him. 

 

"Yet they kill our kind. They eat our friends. Do you not see that, Jinyoung." His father asked. 

 

"I do, but we do the same. We don't help them if they drown. We just watch and swim away. We basically kill them too, you just can't admit it!" Jinyoung yelled. 

 

"Go to you room, now!" His father demanded. "I don't want to see you again until you get some sense into that head of yours."

 

Jinyoung swam away. Why can't his father see that humans are harmless. Yes they kill the fish, but isn't it their way to survive? Don't they need to eat to survive just like us? Instead if heading to his room, he left the castle. He just needed to clear his head. 

 

After swimming for a while, Jinyoung could feel the currents getting stronger. Is there a storm above the surface? It had to be a bad one. Jinyoung looked up and noticed that one of those big boats were above him. Were they safe in this storm? Jinyoung couldn't help but to worry about them. 

 

He was about to swim away when he saw a disturbance in the water. He glanced in that direction and saw a human slowly making his way to the floor of the ocean. Jinyoung panicked. He didn't know what to do. He could save a life or risk getting in huge trouble with his father. He picked the most practical choice. 

 

He quickly swam beside the human and wrapped an arm around his middle. The humans clothes made it hard for Jinyoung to get to the surface, but he eventually made it. 'Please be okay' Jinyoung pleaded. 

 

Once he finally got to a shore he placed the human on the soft sand. It was then when Jinyoung finally got to see his face. The man was beautiful. Jinyoung put his hand on the man's cheek and felt the delicate skin. He then moved his hand to the man's hair. It was dark because of the water, but Jinyoung could tell it was a soft brown. Jinyoung started to sing a song softly as he enjoyed looking at the human, but then the man started to stir. 

 

The man opened his eyes, and all the air was knocked out of Jinyoung's chest. The man seemed to still be in a daze, so Jinyoung slowly put a soft kiss on the man's forehead. "Be safe." He said then turned and dived right back into the water. 

 

 

**************

 

 

After that day, Jinyoung couldn't stop smiling. He wanted to see him again. He wanted to feel his soft skin again. He wanted to look into those dark eyes and get lost in them again. He couldn't get the human out of his head, but he didn't want to ever forget what happened. He felt like he loved the human, and he yearned to see him again. 

 

 

**************

 

 

"You saved a human?!" His father yelled. Jinyoung looked around for help. He made eye contact with his siblings, as they were watching the scene unfold, and they shrugged and gave him sympathetic looks. 

 

Jinyoung slowly nodded, but he didn't expect his father to slap him. He never would think in his life his own father would lay a hand on him, but here he was clutching his burning cheek. His siblings gasped behind him. Jinyoung slowly looked back at his father, whose face was filled with regret and guilt. 

 

Tears started to form in Jinyoung's eyes as he turned and made his way out of the throne room. He could hear shouts of his name, but he didn't turn back. He swam as far as he could. He wanted to be alone, and he never wanted to go back again. Jinyoung finally stopped swimming and rested on a large rock. He finally let all of his tears out. He put his face in his hands to muffle the sound of sobs that continuously came out, and continued to cry his heart out. 

 

"Stop crying," A fish beside him said in annoyance. 

 

"I-I'm sorry," Jinyoung choked out. The fish swam closer to Jinyoung and looked him in the eye. 

 

"I can help you." He finally said. "Well I know someone who can help. I can see the longing in your eyes, and I definitely know that they can help you. You just have to make a bargain with them, but it's definitely worth it."

 

The human's face flashed into his head. Can this someone really let him see him again? That's all Jinyoung wanted. He just wanted to the the man one more time. 

 

"Who is it?" He asked. 

 

"Follow me," the fish started to swim away and Jinyoung quickly trailed behind. 

 

**************

 

"So dear, what can I do for you?" The Sea Witch said. When the fish was talking about someone who could help him, he didn't expect to be brought to the Sea Witch. 

 

"I just want to see this human once again. That's all I ask for. I just need a location and to see him." Jinyoung finally said. 

 

"I have a better deal for you." The witch said while smirking. "What if I say I could let you have legs and see him as a human. He could actually have a chance to see you as well."

 

"Deal!" Jinyoung said quickly. 

 

"On one condition though. In return for the legs, I get your voice. If you can get him to fall in love with you in a week, you can stay with him and you get your voice back. But, if you fail to get him to see you in the way you see him, I will get your soul and you won't live to see another light." 

 

Jinyoung thought hardly for a moment. 'Would it be worth it?' he kept asking himself. After about a minute, Jinyoung looked at the Sea Witch,"You got yourself a deal."

 

**************

 

Jinyoung opened his eyes and was met with blinding sunlight. He looked around and noticed he was on the shores of a beach. He was still in the water though with the waves furiously crashing against his body. 

 

Jinyoung lifted his leg up and smiled. He couldn't believe he actually had legs. He actually had a chance to meet the human again.  

 

Jinyoung tried to stand but crashed back into the water. What was he supposed to do now? If he couldn't use these legs, how would he find the man. He only had a week, and these human parts were not going to take him far. 

 

"Coco!" Someone yelled from a distance. A small creature was coming at Jinyoung at full speed. Jinyoung's eyes widened in fright and tried to scramble away, but they waves made it impossible for him to do so. 

 

"Oh my gosh! Mark, come here!" The same voice yelled. Jinyoung looked towards the voice and saw two men walking towards him. 

 

"Are you okay, sir!" A different voice yelled. Were they talking to him? 

 

They hurried to him while splashing in the water. Their clothing looked heavy. It was then, Jinyoung noticed one of the men. He was the human that he saved. The human that he sacrificed everything for. Jinyoung suddenly felt self-conscious about his situation. 

 

Once they got to him the other man grabbed his arms and pulled him up. "Are you trying to kill yourself?" The man he saved came up to him and handed the guy holding him a long piece of clothing that was on his back. 

 

"Here, cover him up with my cloak," the man looked at Jinyoung, who was stark . "Have we met before?" He said while eyeing him. Jinyoung just shook his head. He didn't know if he should tell the man that he had already met him and had saved his life. 

 

"Do you live close by?" The other man asked. Jinyoung looked out to the ocean, but then just settled with another shake of his head. 

 

"Where do you live? We can take you home." He said again. Jinyoung tried to talk, but then remembered the deal he had made with the Sea Witch. 

 

"Can you not talk?"Jinyoung again shook his head and looked down. 

 

"Are you lost? Do you not have a home?"

 

Jinyoung shook his head and then nodded. The two men looked at each other. Then finally the one Jinyoung had saved spoke. 

 

"We are going to take you back to the castle, okay." He said. "We'll help you. My name is Mark, and this is Jackson," he gestured to the mad holding his arm. Jinyoung just nodded in understanding. The man, Jackson, let go of his arm, and the two men started to walk letting Jinyoung follow behind, but Jinyoung forgot that he hadn't figured out how to use these legs yet. So, because of that, he stumbled and almost fell into the water. Before he hit the cold waves, the one called Mark caught him in his arms. 

 

Jinyoung's cheeks flushed, and Mark looked at him with worry present on his handsome features. "Can you not walk?" He asked gently. Jinyoung shook his head. The reply made Mark become even more worried, Jinyoung could tell. 

 

"Okay then, hold on to me." Jinyoung put his arm on Mark's shoulders, while Mark's arm wrapped around Jinyoung's waist. Jinyoung's heart sped up and his cheeks became even hotter. The two made their way out of the water and onto the beach with Jackson in the lead. 

 

"It looks like you have never walked before in your life, but at least you still can, well with some practice." Jinyoung opened his mouth and mouthed the words 'thank you'. Mark seemed to get it because he smiled a blinding smile. "No problem."

 

 

**************

 

 

Once they got to the castle, Jinyoung clung to Mark. He wasn't afraid of anyone else, he was just afraid he would lose his chance to be with Mark. He was now with him, and he didn't want to let him go. 

 

Mark didn't seem to mind though. Jinyoung was never a bother to him, one reason is probably that he couldn't speak, so he let Jinyoung come to almost all of his events. 

 

Mark and Jinyoung had worked on Jinyoung's walking, so he was slowly getting use to working the legs. Since the two spent so much time together, they had gotten really close. Mark was trying his best to understand everything Jinyoung was trying to say, but sometimes he got a little frustrated. He wasn't frustrated at Jinyoung, he was frustrated because they couldn't get closer than they already were. 

 

It was the third day since Jinyoung became a human, and he couldn't be happier. He loved being with Mark. He was one of the only people who could understand him. 

 

Jinyoung didn't want to throw himself all over Mark and force the other to love him, so he just settled with taking it slow and spending as much time together as possible. He still remembered that he had a deadline of a week, but he knew that Mark couldn't learn to love him in three days. It was impossible. It wouldn't be counted as real love. It would only be counted as attraction. 

 

Mark could only make out the 'Jin' part of Jinyoung's name, so he settled with calling him that. Jinyoung was fine with it, but he really wanted to hear Mark say his name. 

 

"Are you sure we haven't met before?" Mark asked Jinyoung. "You seem so familiar." Jinyoung just shrugged. He couldn't explain his situation to Mark. He could barely 'talk' to him as it is. 

 

The two sat in the dining room, ready to eat their dinner. Mark mostly talked, while Jinyoung listened, while they waited for their food to be served. Once it did come, they couldn't wait to finally satisfy their stomachs. 

 

Once the plate was placed in front of Jinyoung, his stomach let out an embarrassing growl. Mark just laughed his high-pitched laugh, which was so cute in Jinyoung's opinion. Jinyoung turned to Mark to get his attention. Once he did, he pointed at the dish as if asking what it was. 

 

"It's fish." Mark said with a smile, but it soon faded as he took in the panicked expression Jinyoung wore. 

 

"What's wrong, are you allergic?" Mark asked worriedly. Jinyoung just shoved the plate away while turning away before he started to tear up. 

 

"Jin?" Mark asked, concern laced in his soft voice. 

 

"I can tell the cooks to cook you something else if you can't eat fish. It's no big deal." Mark said quickly trying to get Jinyoung to feel better. 

 

Jinyoung just put a fake smile and shook his head. Then he made a motion that he was going to bed. Mark frowned. 

 

"I know you're hungry. I'll just go tell the cooks to fix something else for you." He stood up while he said that about to head to the kitchen, but Jinyoung quickly put his hands on his chest and shook his head. He tried to mouth 'it's fine', and it worked because Mark sat back down. 

 

"Are you sure you're already going to bed though? You won't keep me company?" Mark asked. 

 

Jinyoung smiled, but shook his head. He placed his hand over Mark's, that was resting on the table, and squeezed it gently. He then turned around and made his way to his room. 

 

**************

 

Jinyoung laid on his bed clutching his stomach. He was starving, but he couldn't go downstairs. He couldn't just go downstairs and ask for food. Mark was the only one patient and understanding enough to actually comprehend what he was trying to say. So here he was, feeling like he was about to die of hunger. If he could just go to sleep so he wouldn't have to feel this torture. He could just forget about it and eat tomorrow during breakfast. 

 

As he was about to go to sleep, the door to his room slowly opened. "Jin, are you asleep?" It was Mark. 

 

Jinyoung quickly sat up. "I guess that's a no." Mark stated while chuckling. "Here eat this. I know you're hungry." He held up something that he remembered was bread, except it had something stuffed in between two slices. 

 

"Sorry, I only know how to make this. I didn't grow up having to make my own food." Mark said while rubbing the back of his neck. Jinyoung smiled widely and accepted the plate of food. He patted the bed signaling Mark could stay, and Mark happily sat beside him. Jinyoung took a bite of the food and it practically melted in his mouth. 

 

"Is it good?" Mark asked in a small voice. Jinyoung nodded happily and Mark smiled widely. After Jinyoung finished, which was very fast, he grabbed Mark's hand with both of his hands. He looked into Mark's eyes and mouthed a very grateful 'thank you'. Mark put his other hand on Jinyoung's.

 

"I couldn't let you starve, could I?" Jinyoung just smiled wider. It was these moments that made his day. Just being with Mark made his day, but moments like these, he felt like Mark could love him as well. 

 

Mark finally stood up after a few seconds, "Sleep well, Jin." He said. "I'll see you tomorrow. I have something planned for both of us that I know you will adore. But for now, get well rested. You'll need it." He smiled one last time and bent down and kissed Jinyoung's knuckles. 

 

**************

 

Jinyoung woke up by a bright light shining through his window. Being raised in an ocean, he was not used to this much light, but he quickly tried to adjust to it. Once he was ready, he went to the  staircase where he and Mark always met at. When he turned the corner of the corridor, he smiled as he saw Mark waiting patiently at the bottom of the stairs. 

 

Mark looked up at Jinyoung as he made his way down the steps. "Finally, I've been waiting forever." he said in an exaggerated voice, but quickly retraced his steps when he saw the frown appear on Jinyoung's face. "I was just kidding," He said quickly. 

 

After he saw the usual smile appear back on Jinyoung's plump lips, he talked once again. "So today, I'm going to give you a tour of the kingdom. I'm pretty positive you will love it. I never liked tours, but you seem to be a person to enjoy them." Jinyoung just nodded. 

 

They made their way outside the huge doors of the castle, and Mark led Jinyoung to a carriage not too far away. Mark sped up and offered a hand to Jinyoung, and Jinyoung hesitantly took it and stepped in and Mark followed. 

 

"We'll start in the village." Mark said while sitting down. 

 

Once they got there, Mark helped Jinyoung out, and Jinyoung looked around in fascination. It was amazing in so many ways. There were so many stands selling diverse things, buildings that all looked different in their own unique way, and most of all, there were so many humans. People were everywhere. Some were shouting, some kids were running around, and others were chatting with each other peacefully. It reminded Jinyoung so much of his home. His kind and these humans were so similar in so many ways. Only if his father could open his eyes, he could see it too. 

 

Everyone looked in their direction with shocked faces, and quickly sunk to their knees. Jinyoung turned around with a questioning face. Mark raised his hand, "Please stand, none of that is necessary." He said in a monotone voice and they quickly obeyed. Jinyoung just watched the scene in awe. His kingdom never did that to him or his siblings. Sometimes they bowed slightly out of respect, but never this. It amazed Jinyoung. 

 

"Jin, let's go." he said while gently touching Jinyoung's shoulder. Jinyoung turned around, still in a daze, and followed Mark. 

 

Once they finished the tour around the village, Mark and him went to a beautiful lake. It was dark, and the moonlight reflected perfectly off of the still water. They got into a small boat type thing. It had a wooden stick with a wider bottom that Mark grabbed onto.

 

"I'll row. I want you to enjoy this." He said. They stated to glide on top of the water. It was so calm and relaxing that Jinyoung could fall asleep, but the scenery was making his eyes wander in amazement. Beautiful green plants came out of the water. The emerald color trees stood beside the water, their leaves gently falling into the clear water. The boat stopped moving and Jinyoung looked over the side of the boat and his reflection looked right back at him. He missed the water, he really did, but he loved being on land. He loved being with Mark. Jinyoung glanced at Mark, and the man was staring right back at him. 

 

"It's pretty, isn't it?" Jinyoung slowly nodded. "I always came here as a child. My mother and I would spend hours at a time just watching the nature around us. Even after my mother...died...I still came here." Jinyoung put a hand on Mark's knee as comfort, and Mark smiled back as if saying thank you. 

 

"Have you always not had your voice?" Mark asked after a moment of silence. Jinyoung shook his head. "Do you mind me asking how you lost it?" Jinyoung again shook his head. 

 

He put his hands on his throat as if symbolizing his voice and made a motion of it leaving his mouth. Then he made a movement as if he grabbed it.

 

"Someone took it from you?" Mark asked hesitantly, not being sure if he got that correct, but when Jinyoung nodded, he was left in shock. 

 

"Really?" 

 

Jinyoung nodded and Mark frowned. "Can you ever get it back?" Jinyoung nodded and Mark stopped rowing again. "How?...Sorry that's probably hard for you to explain. Do you think you will ever get it back soon?" Jinyoung thought about it for a second. If Mark learned to love him in a week, or now three days, he would. But if Mark didn't love him by the end of the week, he would surely die. What would Mark do if he just disappeared one day though? Eventually he just settled with a nod, and Mark looked even more surprised. 

 

"I-is there something I can do to help you get it back?" 'You can love me' Jinyoung thought, but he just shook his head. 

 

"I wish I could hear your voice." Mark said quietly but loud enough for Jinyoung to hear. Jinyoung's head snapped up to look Mark in the eyes. His cheeks felt warmer than usual and his heart sped up. "I know it would be as beautiful as you are." After saying that Mark looked away shyly and scratched the back of his neck. "I'm sorry,' he chuckled. 

 

Jinyoung took the wooden sticks from Mark's hands and set it down in the boat. After he did that, he grabbed Mark's hands and brought them to his lips and gently kissed them. Mark looked shocked, but his eyes filled with relief, then they were filled with adore. Mark moved closer to Jinyoung and took his hands out of Jinyoung's. He lifted them shakily and put them to Jinyoung's delicate cheeks. He slowly leaned in and looked at Jinyoung's lips with desire.

 

It was then when Jinyoung closed the rest of the gap and their lips locked. It didn't feel like fireworks like how everyone described, but it just felt perfect, like it was meant to be. Mark's lips were soft against his, and Jinyoung loved it. He never wanted it to end. 

 

The kiss wasn't desperate at all, but it was as if Mark was holding back. He wasn't moving his lips at all as if he just realized what he was doing. Is he regretting it? Does he not like it? Jinyoung pulled back, desperate to see Mark's reaction, but he couldn't find any emotion on Mark's face. Jinyoung wanted to speak, he wanted to explain himself at least, but he couldn't. He couldn't because Mark didn't love him. 

 

**************

 

The next day was awkward for them. Mark barely said a word to him and it killed Jinyoung. He really regretted it that much? If he did, he might as well give up, right? He only had two days left and Mark wasn't going to change his mind about Jinyoung that fast. 

 

It hurt, it really hurt. Jinyoung loved Mark. He felt that love get stronger over these past few days, and he was so happy. He had felt loved, but he guesses it was just sympathy for the guy he found almost drowning in the ocean and who couldn't talk. 

 

It was evening when Jinyoung finally accepted that his life was coming to an end. He only had a few hours left to live, yet he couldn't enjoy it. He felt heartbroken in a way he never thought possible, and he wanted it to be over. He didn't want to be in pain anymore. 

 

It was about midnight when Jinyoung left his room. He walked the corridors of the castle as quietly as he could. Once out of the castle, he made his way down to the shores. Was he really never going to see anyone again, Mark, his father, his siblings. He shouldn't have taken this deal. It was definitely a mistake. 

 

Jinyoung took his shoes off and stepped into the cold water. The moon was shining bright above, and the wind was howling. 

 

"Are you giving up. You still have twenty-four hours left." A voice said. He looked up and was met with the Sea Witch. 

 

'He can't love me.' Jinyoung thought knowing the witch could hear it. 

 

"So you want to end it? You want to end the pain?" She asked and Jinyoung nodded. He closed his eyes and let a tear slide down his cheek. 

 

"Okay, then." She said with a click of her tongue. "Come into the water. Before I do this, is there any message you want me to deliver?" 

 

'Tell my father that I'm sorry. Tell him that he was right and I shouldn't have left home. Tell him I love him and my siblings.' Tears were streaming down his cheeks now. 'And for Mark, please tell him that I love him, and that I don't regret saving his life. Tell him to live it wisely and to be happy.' The Sea Witch nodded her head.

 

She motioned for him to step closer to her. He did and the witch grabbed on to his shoulders. 

 

"Let him go, now!" A voice laced with venom and threat yelled. Jinyoung turned around and was met with Mark holding a sword while pointing it right a them.

 

"Why should I?" The witch said. "It's not like you care. You're the reason why he's in this position right now." Jinyoung looked down not wanting to see Mark's reaction when she tells him his story. 

 

"This 'man' right here gave everything up for you. He left his family and disobeyed his fathers orders so that maybe you could learn to love him as he did you. He came to me after he saved your life. All he wanted was just to see you again, even if it was from afar. But I struck a bargain with him. I would give him legs in exchange for his voice. He has such a pretty voice, you know. His singing is like an angels. But in the end, he agreed, but in one condition. You had to learn to love him in a week or his life and soul would become mine, and it looks like you're too late sweetie. He already gave his life up in this very moment. You don't love him, so why don't you go back into your castle and go back to sleep. Leave this to me. Say your goodbyes because you'll never see him again."

 

Jinyoung finally looked up and wished he hadn't. Mark looked at him in shock and disbelief. They made eye contact and Jinyoung could feel his heart shattering. But it wasn't as if it shattered all at the same time. It was as if someone was breaking off a piece one by one. 

 

Different emotions filled Mark's face until he started to cry. "Please don't do this. Please don't leave me. I can't live without you. I do love you. I really do." He begged and begged, but the Sea Witch didn't budge. 

 

"Let's see if this confession was actually in your heart. Jinyoung, sweetie, will you please sing me a song." The Sea Witch turned her attention from Mark to Jinyoung. Her expression was filled with curiosity. 

 

Jinyoung took a shaky breath. Mark just said he loved him, but was it only from sympathy because he was about to die, or was it actually true? Jinyoung finally started and his soft voice filled all three of their ears. It was beautiful. 

 

Jinyoung collapsed and sobbed into the water. He felt strong arms wrap around his body and he was pulled out of the cold salty water. He buried his head into his chest and wrapped his arms around his waste. Jinyoung felt soft kisses on the top of his head as he quietly sobbed. 

 

"I love you, so much" Mark said into his hair. 

 

"I love you, too." Jinyoung mumbled. 

 

Jinyoung lifted his head up and turned around, but The Sea Witch wasn't there anymore. 'Thank you' he thought.

 

"Let's get you home, my beautiful merman." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(If you want a part two please comment down below. If you have seen The Little Mermaid 2, it will be based off of that. For those of you who haven't, the story would be about Markjin a little older with a kid. Their daughter would be curious of the sea, but Jinyoung is too protective of her. It would have a reunite of Jinyoung and his father, and it would have more Markjin moments than this story. Probably fluff.)

 

Comment if you want that!^^^^