8.

Forget Me Not

Mark feels so stupid.He actually thought things were finally going back to normal so he could have a less stressful day. Unfortunately,life never goes the way we want because pushing through the cheering crowds and heading towards Jaemin who was still kissing Jeno was Mr.Kim, the head discipline teacher.

 

Mark paled.So much for a normal day.

 

Mark quickly pulled Jaemin away from Jeno when Mr.Kim was looking at them with stern eyes. The pink-haired boy almost let out a whine but stopped himself when he realised the teacher's pressence.  Jeno's eyes widened in panic. The crowd around them had already gone silent while some had already dispersed, already afraid of the new pressence. Only Haechan was the only one seeming unfazed by the situation since he had only been here less than 2 months and never saw the wrath of Mr.Kim.

 

The head of discipline teacher looked at the now quiet students and the huge banner Mark and Jeno hanged.His face looked displeased. "What's all this ruckus? Who's responsible for this?"

 

Everyone had their heads hung low, unable to look at him nor speak up. The teacher looked at Jaemin and Jeno,then at Mark and Haechan beside them.

 

"Well? No answer? Alright then,all of you get to class now!",he directed to the crowd of students.His loud voice startled everyone who started scrambling towards their classes,leaving the four boys and Mr.Kim.

 

"Do any of you have anything to say?",Mr.Kim turned his attention back to the boys.It was Mark who gathered the guts to speak, "Sir,we were just celebrating for Jaemin and Jeno."

 

"And you had to do it at school? Is here the only place you can do it?",he countered Mark who shut his mouth again, unable to give an answer.Mr.Kim's stare towards him was making him want to dig a hole and hide there. "Detention.All of you. I expect this doesn't happen again from any of you. Especially you,Mark.I expected better from our best student",he gave one last stern look at them before walking away.

 

Jeno put a comforting hand on Mark's shoulder when the man was far enough, "Sorry,man. I know you were trying to keep a clean record"

 

Mark shook his head. "Nah,it's okay. I don't mind it". A small smile graced his lips.It's only one detention after all.

 

 

 

The four boys went to the designated classroom for their detention.A teacher was already there to take their attendance.Once that was done,they had been instructed to write an essay about South Korea's economy which was obviously boring for them as the teacher received the boys' grunts and whines.

After a while, the teacher went out the classroom to get some fresh air.It was only then the quiet atmosphere broke when Haechan voiced out his thoughts,"Sorry,guys.My stupid idea got us ending up in detention"

 

"You don't have to be sorry, Haechan.None of us knew this was going to happen",Jeno comforted him.

 

"Yeah,besides,you got us get back together again so we actually owe you",Jaemin said from beside Jeno.Haechan nodded, smiling now that he knows his friends don't blame him for this.His eyes traveled from Jeno's eye smile to Jaemin's kind ones and to Mark sitting beside him. The older didn't joined into their conversation,too busy working on his essay.

 

Jeno and Jaemin were talking among themselves as Haechan continued to observe Mark. The older looked like he was having a staring contest with his paper,judging from the way he didn't look up from it once. The younger noticed the creases on the older's forehead as a result from thinking too hard.His round glasses framed his eyes, making it look slightly bigger.Mark scrunched his face when it fell on the bridge of his nose.He seemed so focused on his work that he didn't notice Haechan observing him.

 

'Just like a nerd but a cute one', the younger thought,chuckling softly. The sound caught on Mark's ears.He looked at the younger with a bewildered expression, "What? What's so funny?"

 

Haechan shook his head, "Nothing".His cheeky grin didn't look like it was nothing though.Mark narrowed his eyes at him, "Were you making fun of me?"

 

"No,I wasn't!"

 

"You look like you were"

 

"I swear I wasn't making fun of you", he raised his hands in a surrender motion.Mark didn't looked convinced, "Then why were you looking at me like I have something on my face?"

 

The younger didn't want to admit what he just thought of Mark so he tried to lie, "Just wondering..."

 

"Wondering about what?"

 

"Wondering if there's anything I don't know about you.Any secrets or important stuff I should know as your friend.Besides,I told you a lot of stuff about me now it's your turn",he said with a straight face.

 

Mark knew what 'stuff' Haechan was talking about. He remembered Haechan telling him about his life in America and having amnesia at the playground a few nights before.

 

The playground. Lee Donghyuck.

 

"Well...there is something I never told anyone.Only these two knew",Mark pointed at the chatting  couple sitting a few rows in front of them,unaware of Mark pointing at them.

 

"Okay,now I really want to know.What is it?",curiosity sparked in the Haechan's eyes.For a second,Mark thinks the boy looks like an energetic puppy.

 

"When I was five,I made a friend who was a year younger than me.We were really really close.He was a loud kid and I was a quiet one but that didn't stop us from being best friends.His name is Lee Donghyuck.But we didn't get to hang out long cause he moved to America when I was six"

 

"Is he back?", Haechan's curiosity made him ask.

 

Mark shook his head,there was a bittersweet glint in his eyes, "No,he hasn't come back yet. He promised he would but it's been what? 12 years? 13 years? It's been so long. He's probably forgotten me."

 

Haechan saw how the older's expression turned into a disheartened one.Somehow, the view made his heart break.He couldn't bear to see Mark like this. "Hey,don't think that.If you two were really best friends then he wouldn't just forget about you. Maybe he has a good reason why he's not back yet", Haechan tried to encourage him.

 

And it works with how Mark slowly smiled at him, grateful for the encouragement, "I guess you're right. I just have to be more patient. Thanks, I needed that"

 

Haechan mirrored his smile, "My pleasure. And while you wait for... What's his name again?"

 

"Lee Donghyuck"

 

"Right, while you wait for Lee Donghyuck,me,Jeno and Jaemin will try to fill in his spot until he gets back"

 

"Thanks again",Mark is really grateful he met Haechan.

 

"No problem"

'Lee Donghyuck...Why does that name feels so natural when I said it? Is it-'

 

"Hey, guys!"

 

Haechan's train of thoughts was interrupted by Jaemin's excited shout. The boy showed Mark and Haechan something on his phone.

 

"Chenle is having a party?",Mark read it out loud.

 

"Yup.Wanna go? Jaemin and I are",Jeno said.

 

"Who's Chenle?", Haechan asked.

 

"Only the school's best party thrower.Every year he throws this awesome party that is so cool it becomes the hot topic for weeks.You should've seen his house, it's a freaking mansion! Also, he's our friend which is why we get invited every year",Jeno said proudly.

 

Haechan nodded, understandingly.On the other hand,Mark looked unconvinced, "I don't know.We have our science test soon."

 

"Come on, don't be such a nerd.It's just one night,Mark",Jaemin tried to reason with him to go with them.

 

"I'm not sure about this.", the older said,still unconvinced.

 

"You don't even have to mingle with everyone if you don't want to,you can just be the sober friend who takes care of his drunk friends from doing something stupid"

 

"But-"

 

"Pweeaase,Mark? I wanna go too", Haechan tried to use his aegyo voice to convince him on going.Mark looked at the couple's expecting stares towards him,then moved his eyes to look at Haechan who was now batting his eyes at him. Mark sighed. "Okay,fine. I'll go"

 

Jaemin grinned, "Great, we'll all meet at my house"

 

'This is gonna be fun', Haechan thought excitingly.