Part I: I Miss You

Certain Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      A cool, misting rain fell, which was not unusual for December in Tokyo. Despite the chilly weather, Myoui Mina was walking. She could have took the cab, but after all day cramping in her apartment, she preferred the open air. Wearing a knitted beanie she made herself few days ago, she passed the café where she had always gone with her loves one. I miss you, she thought.

     She reached her destination ten minutes later and wiped her boots that have trace of snow on it, before parking it near the shoes rack. Couple of untouched shoes were arranged there, but she paid no attention to that and retreated herself on the comfy couch in the living room, switching the heater on. All of sudden the loneliness came surrounding her shivered body.

     For months, she’d felt this feeling. Loneliness. But now she understood. Momo— her sweet, wife Momo—had been called for a reason. She’d been chosen by the work to join the next expedition to the space. Yes, Momo is an astronaut. Mina acknowledged the consequence of marrying an aspiring astronaut but once you fell in love, you never stop falling all over again, even if you can no longer see or touch her.

     Mina smiled. Through the phone she held to her chest, she had rediscovered the wife she could never lose. And she would not be silent about it.

* * *

     Hirai Momo sat by her cabin that she shared with her two other co-workers that served for the same mission. In her hand was a picture of someone she was longing for, and it appeared to her co-workers that she really missed that person. A knock broke Momo’s concentration. She looked through the glass. Yoo Jeongyeon stood there with her overall suits, holding a bag.

     They shared a smile. Jeongyeon entered the cabin and dropped her bag on her seat, noticing the other occupant of the cabin chilling at one corner. “Tzuyu is sleeping?” She asked with a lowered voice.

     “Yeah,” Momo hummed along. “We actually just came back from working out and she asleep as soon as we reached the cabin.” Momo smiled. “She seems tired.”

     Jeongyeon nodded along and slumped on the seat near Momo. “Then, what are you doing? Aren’t you tired too? You sleep quite late yesterday.”

     “Duty called. There’s nothing I can do. I can’t sleep.” She answered with a quite wavering voice. Jeongyeon noticed the piece of paper she recognised as a picture of a woman. She had seen it many times before in Momo’s pocket but never ask for who she is.

     “Your girlfriend?” Jeongyeon broke the silence as she drink the water in the bottle. Momo cracked a small smile, and shook. The short-haired girl frowned. “My wife.” She answered. Jeongyeon was quite shock by Momo’s sudden revealation. She never thought that Momo was married, moreover after spending three months in the space with the Japanese girl.

     “You must be missing her a lot.” Jeongyeon uttered. She too understand the feeling. After all, she got a fiancé left on earth million miles away from her. It’s indeed a love between different universes. After a couple of silence, Momo moved closer to Jeongyeon and showed the picture in her hand.

    “Well, she’s pretty.” Jeongyeon commented. “But I have to admit I love my fiancé more.” She grinned. Momo replied with the same reaction. She nodded then all of sudden her expression became sad again.

    “She’s pregnant of our daughter.” Momo revealed. This was the second time that Jeongyeon gasped in five minutes. Luckily it’s not too loud, or she would wake up the youngest in the space ship from her sleep that they can rarely get. Jeongyeon removed her hand from .

     “It must be difficult for you and her.” She said. “How many months?”

    “Three entering the fourth.” Momo answered. “It was a month old when I was called for this expedition.” Jeongyeon nodded. Her hand was brought to Momo’s back and rubbing small circle. She hoped that this would help to show supports for her dearest co-workers. Though from different countries, they somehow have created a bonding alongside with the other Taiwanese who was still sleeping right now.

     “Call her, Mo. She would be happy by that.”

    “Yeah, you’re right.” Momo said. “I should call her now. I think it’s evening now in Tokyo.” Momo kept the picture in her suits pocket and retrieved of what you called a laptop from her backpack. One thing that you will like being in space was the network connection is good enough to contact with people on earth. You still can access the internet and get through a video call with your loves one, just like what Momo going to do.

    “I want to introduce you to, Mina.” Momo said to Jeongyeon while her fingers busy logging into her Skype account.

    “Mina?”

    “That’s her name.”

    “Oh.”

     Successfully logging in, Momo quickly made a request to connection and immediately contacting Mina who’s far away down on earth. All the time Momo was feeling giddy and nervous since it had been weeks since she last sees the latter’s face. A few minutes later, she received a signal that implying that the connection had successfully been made. A smile was made to her face.

     Instantly, a face appeared on the screen of her laptop. The face of her favourite person. Her wife.

     “Hi,”

     Momo’s smiled cannot be any wider than this. Jeongyeon noticed how different

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter