Shelter

Shelter - A Michaeng Oneshot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I can't wait for the clock to turn 6, I am done with all these s today. My back is sore, oh don't ask about my neck, it is hurt like . Get me out of here, I am done starring at the computer screen, I've had enough. At the age of 29, I can't believe that I am stuck doing back office things, I thought I am somewhere around Europe by now. But the reality just kicking, it is now my sixth year sitting here doing administration things for the Business Team. Oh no, I am not interested to be the Business Development team even when they asked me to join them too many times now.

It's 17.55, why does the time move so slowly? I already turn off my computer and 100 percent ready to go home. I will have a hot bath, I deserve that, I should stop by to buy some meals as well so that I don't go out after arriving home. I will binge-watch my TV shows list on Netflix. Perfect sounds like a plan.

Finally, 18.00. I rush and take my bag. Turn down with elevator, and starts walking outside. I take a deep breath, I really love Spring. Not too hot, not too cold. I walk down towards Apgujeongrodeo Station to the left. Many people come from work as well, the train would be pack at this rush hour. Indeed, it is a pack of people, I can barely hold to the rail bar. I need to make a transit at Gangnam-gu Office Station, I am heading to Junghwa. Compared to Bundang Line, Line 7 is more bearable though I never got to sit in this train. I ride the train for 11 stops. I love taking this train, from Gangnam, I would pass Cheongdam and it will soon go up and I will see the Han River through Ttukseom. Sometimes I make a stop at Ttukseom just to see Han River closely. Then the train will go to the underground again after. Line 7 is unique for me, it's not that old but have the old-school feeling that always linger.

I ride this train for almost 6 years as well, I move to my neighborhood soon after college and landed a job at Apgujeong. Of course, I can't afford to live around Gangnam, and my neighborhood is pretty decent, also not that far from my office. Finally, Junghwa Station. My stop. I take the stairs to go up and take exit 3. It's always fascinating that I would always be greeted by McDonald's just around the corner.

, I hear the thunder and the lightning just strike, I need to hurry. I wait for the traffic light. I walk passed the Paris Baguette and walk straight, I turn left to Dongil-ro and try to walk faster to Bonghwasan. I don't bring my umbrella, why? . I should still walk for a kilo. Yes, that's the perks of my apartment. It located so far from the nearest Subway Station and there's no bus running around, that's how cheap my apartment is.

, the rain doesn't come as drizzles, it suddenly rains so hard, damn. I run using my bag as my umbrella. I turn to an alley, turn right again to another alley, damn I need to stop before I get soaking. Ah there, there's a closed shop, I should stop there, the shop has an outdoor roof, I should wait there. , my coat is a little bit wet, it's pink and now the rain leaves stain around my coat. Damn. I just stand there and wait until the rain stop. I should check my phone, perhaps someone could pick me up. I cursed too many times today.

The alley was quiet, even though I live around here for almost 6 years, this seems a strange alley to me, I don't recognize it. I see someone run from the left side, just like me before. Please don't join me here. Please.

Alas, she then run towards this close shop as well. She looks exhausted. Her brown coat is ruined as well. She brings guitar case in her back, she put down the guitar case down and perhaps try to search for a tissue for her wet hair. She can't find it. Oh, she found the handkerchief in her pocket.

Why do I need to observe this girl?

She then stands straight just like me, looking at the rain. Then she laughs by herself, she opens her hands and tries feel the rain in her hand, she closes her eyes and laughs by herself. I think she's a freak, I better not to interact with her.

"Whoa, Spring Rain. Funny that it was so sunny this afternoon, and raining so hard just now"

She talks to herself.

"Right?" Then she turns her face to me. Asking me while smiling.

I was shocked a first, but I can only nod to her. I don't want to spend much interaction with a stranger.

She's presumably younger than me, judging by the look. She has dimples on both cheeks. It's so unfair, I always want to have dimples. Her hair is long but then she tied up her hair up since maybe it's too hot after getting soaking wet in the rain. She wears a brown coat as I mentioned before, and a white shirt with her blue jeans, wearing white sneakers who are now not so white because of the stains. She's now busy to clean up her dewy glasses with her handkerchief. What an interesting person who still carries a handkerchief with her. She put it back. Her glasses.

We then just wait there for the rain to stop.

"Do you plan to wait forever?"

She asked still fixing her eyes to the rain.

"Me? I don't know, I don't like getting soaking wet"

"You and I both"

"I am always excited to see the rain tho I don't like getting wet. It feels blessed don't you think?" She continues, I just don't know how to answer.

"My hometown is in Daegu, it's the hottest city in the Korean Peninsula. You know, people often called the city Daegufrica. That's why most of Daegu citizens know how precious it is to see the rain"

Okay, now she's being TMI to me.

"Where's your hometown, Miss.........?"

Oh, she's talking to me again? Oh, she asks for my name now.

"Mina" Why do I answer it?

"Ah, Chaeyoung here" She then handed her right hand to me. When she realized that I don't welcome her hand, she put down her hand. Me and my terrible attitude once again.

"My hometown is in Kobe, Kansai Region" I answer it because I feel bad about not being friendly enough to her.

"Oh, so you're Japanese then?" She then shocked and look at me.

I nod to her.

"Oh, Arigatou Gozaimasu," She said while bowing to me.

I can't help but laugh because it's too funny.

"Why?" She looks confused.

"What are you thank me for?"

She then thinks again.

"AH, I mean Konichiwa! Ah stupid me, that's why I failed Japanese in high school"

I can't stop laughing, she's indeed doesn't know and not joking.

She then joins me in laughing as well.

With that, some of my feeling tells me that she might be a good stranger.

"So, what's cool in Kobe? I've never been to Japan before"

"Hem, beef, Kobe Beef? And Onsen, hot springs"

"Whoa, that's right Kobe Beef is indeed famous. Hot springs, I would like to visit one, especially in a weather like this"

"I know right?"

"So when did the last time you go to Onsen then?"

"Probably 10 years ago? My family moved to Wonju when I was 19, but I went to Seoul for the university"

"Ah I see, don't you miss Kobe? I miss Daegu all the time even when I just came back from the city"

I could only chuckle. I miss Kobe too bad, I miss her friends, my school, the city ambiance. But the city gave my family so much pain as well, so I'd rather not go back there.

"I do, but that's okay"

Chaeyoung could only nod as well.

The more I think about it, I didn't once thinking about going back to Kobe even for a visit. I have money now, I could ignore my parents and go there, meet my friends. But I never do that.

"What's good in Daegu?" I ask her back.

"Nothing special, you could certainly find anything in Daegu, here in Seoul"

"So, what keeps you coming back again and again"

"My parents, they are my home. It is so childish isn't it, when a 27 years old women said that out loud"

So she's 2 years younger than me.

"No, I know that feeling. I miss my parents all the time"

She then smiles at me.

Her dimples show.

For some reason, my heart beats so fast. I never see a sincere smile like hers in years, I don't know why.

"You live nearby?" She asks me again.

"I guess so, I don't know where the hell it is"

"Oh, you're lost like me as well?"

"Oh no, I live around her, just not nearby"

"Ah, I see. I would like to meet my brother, he studies at Konkuk, but I don't know why he moved to this area, and.......I got lost"

She's so pure, I can tell. She's honest as well.

"I can guess, you must be an office employee" She takes a good guess me now.

"Do I look that boring to you?"

"Oh please don't feel offended, you look great by the way. Just judging from the skirt and the blouse you wear, your office-like bag, and your 3 cm heels which I believe you only wear that for Subway, am I right?"

First, I can't be blushed by her 'you look great' comment. And second, she was right.

"Well, you are right, I am just a regular office employee, are you an observer then?"

"Ey, a regular office employee still an office employee. Nope, I am a........hem I want to say musician, but I am not there yet so maybe, a pre-musician then?"

I can't help but laugh.

"No wonder, you bring your guitar with you"

"Who says it's a guitar? There's nothing inside, I just take it with me to look cool. I am kidding. Yes, it's my guitar, I just finish busking around Marronier"

"Well, a street full of artists. You often play there?"

"I moved around a lot, you know musician have tours, busker have tours as well, alley to alley"

I laugh again. It's been a while since I constantly laugh like this. It's been so while.

"Is it your dream, to become a musician?" The first time I ask her.

"Kind of, actually it's the only thing that I can do, unlike my brother who's a straight A student, I am not so smart, so......."

She smiles again to me, and every time she does that it gives me a shot in the heart.

"Is it always your dream, to become an office worker then?"

I am suddenly cough upon the question. It's been a while since people asking about my dream.

"Oh, are you okay? I have a water"

She opens the pocket on her guitar case and gives me her water.

"Yeah I am alright thanks" I take a sip.

We then stare at the rain again, it doesn't get any better, still raining so hard.

I take a deep breath. She's copying me, looking at the rain as well.

"I am familiar with Marronier as well like you are"

"Oh really? You like to go there?"

"I went to school there"

"No joke, K-Arts?" She's fixed her eyes on me now.

I nod.

"Damn, you're totally cool, not all people could go there. Oh you must be so good"

"Just did something that I love," I told her in a diplomatic way.

"Which is.................?" She's curious

A part of me doesn't want to open my past. A past that I've been buried for almost 8 years. But she seems comfortable, I don't what's gotten into me but I feel that I could have a closure. She's a stranger anyway.

"I was an opera singer"

This girl then put her 'shock and amaze' face on her. She gasping.

"Until I can't"

Now she's confused.

"What happened?"

"Vocal nodules makes me unable to possess a high note anymore"

I thought I could go crying telling her this, but I am calm, and it feels good. I am okay.

"I am sorry, I shouldn't ask you in the first place, I am so sorry for pushing you"

"No, no, don't be, it's all in the past. I am good now. I realize that I can't be one, a long time ago,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter