ACT II

PICK ONE

ACT II

 

The setting is Daehyun’s room. It is dark and the clock on his bedside table reads 3:04AM. The bed sheets are tousled and tangled between Daehyun’s limbs as he sleeps. His phone on the bedside table suddenly lights and vibrates, loudly, the sound rousing Daehyun from his slumber. He groans and moves an arm sluggishly to click on his lamp, then check the screen, and then answers the call.

 

 

DAEHYUN

Groggily

It’s 3AM.

 

HIMCHAN

I don’t give a what time it is. Get your out of bed.

 

DAEHYUN

Sorry, what?

 

HIMCHAN

I’ll see you in the studio in 30 minutes.

 

DAEHYUN

Wait, Himch—

 

HIMCHAN

Be there or you’re through.

 

The phone call ‘clicks’ to an end.

Daehyun blearily stares at his phone screen, incredulous. He groans, gruffly shoving off his blanket, swings his legs over the side of the bed and sits with tousled hair. He rubs his hands over his face.

 

DAEHYUN

With a sigh

The hell does he want at this hour…Christ.

 

He picks up a pair of pants from the floor and dons them, then grabs a sweatshirt that’s hanging off the back of a desk chair. Keys jostle in his hand as he snatches them from the desk, silver glinting in the dim light of his bedside table lamp. He pockets his wallet.

Daehyun heads downstairs and half-heartedly attempts to pat down his bed-head. He pulls running shoes on and exits his apartment.

He arrives at his car, enters and inserts the keys and starts the red vehicle. The radio turns on automatically.

 

RADIO VOICE 1

–back to the drawing board. It truly is a damage to one’s reputation, wouldn’t you think?

 

RADIO VOICE 2

Oh definitely. But he knew the rules going in and agreed to them. This shouldn’t come as a shock to—

Daehyun hits the button shutting the radio off and proceeds to pull away from the garage.

 

He yawns as he drives, taking it slowly and carefully. Despite it being three in the morning, the streets of Seoul are crowded. Headlights upon headlights pass him by and remembers to flick on his own.

When he arrives at his destination he approaches the gate and inputs the entry key, parks, slams his door tiredly and pads towards the elevator. He hits the button for the second floor and watches the doors close, separating him from the real world and the little box he’s encapsulated in.

The elevator dings. Daehyun exits and heads to the right, then places his hand on the door to the studio and enters, yawing again. He looks up to see Himchan and Jongup seated on a couch. The former is upright and tense and the latter appears defeated.

 

HIMCHAN

Notices Daehyun

Take a seat.

 

DAEHYUN

This better be important. You know how rare it is for me to have a day off. You schedule me.

 

HIMCHAN

I may not be scheduling you anymore, smartass.

 

DAEHYUN

Sorry, what?

He glances at Jongup.

And why wake him up, too?

 

JONGUP

Actually…I was already here.

 

HIMCHAN

Practicing, unlike you.

 

DAEHYUN

Incredulous

I’m honestly lost. Not gonna lie.

He sits.

Care to fill me in?

 

HIMCHAN

Sighs gruffly

Have you checked your phone recently?

 

DAEHYUN

Not until or since you woke me up.

 

HIMCHAN

Social media?

 

DAEHYUN

No.

 

HIMCHAN

Radio?

 

DAEHYUN

Not long enough to get anything out of it.

 

HIMCHAN

Check your Twitter. Now.

 

Daehyun complies, frustrated and confused. He taps the app and watches as the screen loads his timeline, eyes widening with every second. He almost forgets to breathe.

 

DAEHYUN

What the is this—

 

HIMCHAN

Well I’d like to know who the is this?

He brandishes his own phone screen with a picture displayed. It’s Daehyun and Youngjae. The younger has his lips against Daehyun’s cheek.

Any ideas?

 

DAEHYUN

Trembling

It’s…this has to be photoshopped...fans are crazy these days—

He recoils when Himchan slams a hand on the seat but says nothing. He only looks down.

A pregnant pause silences all three until Himchan bolts up and stomps away, slamming the door behind him.

 

JONGUP

Morosely

Daehyun. He’s just worried about you. I am too.

 

DAEHYUN

Barks a weak laugh

You think you’re worried? Think about me. I don’t know what the hell to do.

 

JONGUP

Tell Himchan the truth. He’s your manager, and your friend. We can work through this. There’s ways to cover it up. Say he’s a relative of some sort.

 

DAEHYUN

That kisses me?

 

JONGUP

…an affectionate relative.

 

DAEHYUN

. You’re not helping.

He sighs and rests his head in his hands, defeated. Jongup looks on.

 

JONGUP

Trust us, ok? If not me, at least trust Himchan. He really cares about you.

 

DAEHYUN

I know he does. He always has. But, Jongup…I really care about Youngjae now too.

 

JONGUP

Takes a deep breath and exhales

You’re going to have to pick one.

Daehyun looks up.

‘Youngjae’ or Himchan. And your role as an idol. There’s no other way to do this. I’m sorry, man.

He too stands and gingerly pats Daehyun on the shoulder before following after Himchan.

Daehyun sits for a long time. Just breathing. Until his phone vibrates. It’s Youngjae.

 

He turns his phone off.