ACT I

PICK ONE

 

NOTES:

Regular text is spoken. Bold text is signed.

 

CHARACTERS: (order of appearance)

YOUNGJAE

DAEHYUN

HIMCHAN

JONGUP

 

ACT I

The setting is a small café that serves coffee and pastries of many kinds. It is cramped with customers and the din of chatter and blenders working away fill the air. One table in the corner by the windows is occupied by two males sitting across from one another. They are moving their hands; sign language.

 

YOUNGJAE

I can’t go to your concert. I’m deaf, remember?

 

DAEHYUN

You said yourself that deaf people can enjoy music. Plus you’d get to see me on stage.

 

YOUNGJAE

I was just testing you. Congrats, you passed.

He pretends to applaud.

Aren’t these things really damn expensive though? You forget I don’t make as much as you do. You rich people are all the same I swear.

 

DAEHYUN

Mock offense

And here I was willing to give you a ticket for free.

He his head to one side when Youngjae snorts.

Why wouldn’t I give a free pass to my boyfriend?

 

At the sign boyfriend Youngjae’s eyes widen and he glances around the room nervously. Daehyun gently taps the table in front of the younger man, regaining his attention.

 

DAEHYUN

How likely is it that anyone in here will know sign, as unfortunate as that is? Well in this case it’s fortunate.

 

YOUNGJAE

Or you could just refrain from referring to that in public?

Daehyun raises his hands to respond but Youngjae cuts him off.

Shouldn’t you be concerned about your reputation? Or at the very least more concerned than you are now?

 

DAEHYUN

Nodding

Yes, but—

Youngjae shakes his head.

…Okay. You’re right.

 

YOUNGJAE

As always.

He looks on expecting a response to his playful banter but a small frown has crept its way onto Daehyun’s face. Youngjae leans in closer. A concerned expression decorates his own face now.

You okay?

 

DAEHYUN

Dismissive wave

Yeah, yeah. I’m fine. Just tired.

 

YOUNGJAE

I just don’t want you to get in trouble. This is pushing it already. We come here too much.

 

DAEHYUN

Don’t you like it?

 

YOUNGJAE

Of course, but I’m trying to look out for you. You know what the industry is like better than me, Daehyun. You know what happens to idols that date.

 

DAEHYUN

I know.

 

YOUNGJAE

Hesitantly

Okay. Good.

 

There is a long pause. Youngjae plays with his fingers and Daehyun looks anywhere but at Youngjae. He has taken two sips of his coffee before Youngjae puts his hands up again.

 

YOUNGJAE

Hey. Daehyun.

Daehyun catches the movement in his peripheral and glances over without smiling.

When do I get the free ticket then?

 

DAEHYUN

Perks up

You want to go?

Youngjae nods, a miniscule smile decorating his lips.

You mean it?

Youngjae nods with more emphasis.

You’re sure?

 

YOUNGJAE

Rolls eyes but the smile remains

Yes, yes, okay. I wanna go. Can I bring Jaebum?

He lets out a short laugh at the way Daehyun’s expression changes.

Kidding. So gullible. Can you even be that gullible and be an idol? Fascinating.

Glances at his watch.

We should probably get going.

 

DAEHYUN

Only if you leave that sass at the table.

 

The two stand and chairs scrape against the tiled floor. Coffee still in hand, Daehyun arrives at the door first and holds it open for Youngjae who trashes his cup, the little bell perched on top of the door jingling as they leave. It is cold outside and past seven in the evening. People shuffle along and Daehyun makes sure to keep up with Youngjae who skillfully maneuvers through the masses. Daehyun is not as skilled.

 

DAEHYUN

You know how much easier this would be if you let me hold your hand?

 

Youngjae continues to plod through light snow and they both turn a corner to approach a street of apartment complexes. They arrive at a gate.

 

YOUNGJAE

Turns and looks up at Daehyun with a smile

Thanks for the coffee, again.

 

DAEHYUN

Don’t mention it.

 

YOUNGJAE

I’ll treat you next time.

 

DAEHYUN

You don’t ha—

 

YOUNGJAE

Nope. Think of it like repaying you for the ticket, alright?

 

DAEHYUN

…fine. Fair enough.

He can’t help but smile softly when a triumphant simper graces Youngjae’s face.

Did you enjoy tonight?

 

YOUNGJAE

Obviously. Why wouldn’t I have?

 

DAEHYUN

Fidgets

I got all moody for a bit back there. Sorry about that. I understand why you said those things though.

 

YOUNGJAE.

Yeah…it’s for the best, okay?

 

Daehyun nods reluctantly. Youngjae lets out a short sigh and brings himself closer to the taller man before reaching up and tugging down his black face mask enough to place his lips there chastely. He pulls the mask back into place and backs up, chuckling again at Daehyun’s change in expression. A bush by the street rustles and Daehyun glances over at the sound, and Youngjae at the movement. Nothing emerges.

 

YOUNGJAE

Staring skeptically at the bush

I should probably head in now.

 

DAEHYUN

What, it’s probably just a cat or something.

 

YOUNGJAE

Point made. I don’t like cats.

 

DAEHYUN

Alright, alright. Get inside so I can get a taxi and get my out of this cold.

He glances at Youngjae who glances back and the two hesitate.

 

YOUNGJAE

Looks away

Okay. Text me when you get home, yeah?

 

DAEHYUN

Yeah. Will do.

 

The two wave and then Daehyun heads for the main street the café is on to hail a taxi. He pulls his mask down to sip at his now cold coffee and lets his fingers linger where Youngjae had kissed him mere minutes before. He smiles.