Your Happiness

Make-Believe

[Age 17]

"I'm sorry Pets."

Pets turned to Jiro who sat beside her on the steps outside of their school. She just faintly smiled at him and shook her head. "It's not your fault," she spoke softly. The gentleness of her voice made his face fall.
Jiro touched her cheek, watching her flinch when his fingers brushed against a fresh wound. His eyes reflected worry and sadness. Pets stared into his eyes and only saw herself in those deep brown orbs. He only cared about her.

"I couldn't protect you," he whispered, looking away in shame.
Pets grabbed his hand, "There's nothing you could have done, Jiro. I understand," she said.
Jiro took his hand back and sighed, "You don't understand, Pets," he began, "Not being able to help you when Sunnie bullies you hurts me alot."
"Sunnie has been bullying me for so may years now, I'm used to it. As long as you, my best friend, are here with me then I can get through it," Pets replied, holding onto his arm when he turned away from her.
"What type of best friend am I if I can't protect you even once?" he questioned bitterly, "You're better off staying with Sam than with me."
"Sam is our best friend, but Jiro you are always my number 1," she retorted. "And besides, you've always been there for me. Whenever I'm alone, you're there. Whenever I'm sad, you're there. Whenever I'm happy, you're there. If that isn't protection, then what is it?"

"Stalking," he responded with a small smile.
She rolled her eyes and hit him playfully, "I'm being serious, Jiro."
Jiro nodded and sighed, "But... what if I disappear one day...?" he asked slowly.
"You said you'll always be here whenever I need you," she replied, "I'll always need you. You won't disappear."
Jiro stared at her silently before smiling at her and standing up, "We should go to the nurse," he said, "That injury won't treat itself."
Pets nodded and watched him turn to leave whilst she remained sitting down. Jiro noticed this, "Need help?" he asked but she just shook her head.

She was 17 now. Practically a grown up. But her imaginary friend was still with her, growing with her, laughing with her, crying with her. He was there. She knew he wasn't really there and it was all her imagination but that fact was buried deep in the dark corners of her mind - she didn't want to believe it and let it sink into her heart. Jiro was her best friend and she didn't want to lose him.

"Pets!"

The two turned around to see Sam and Rainie coming round the corner with worry plastered over their faces. 

"We just heard about the fight," Rainie explained as she bent over to catch her breath.
"Are you okay?" Sam asked worriedly as he ran over to her and crouched down to eye level in front of her.

 ...

It was the start of the school year and Pets' final year of school before she headed off to University. Currently, she was in class. Beside her sat Jiro, behind her sat Sam and in front of her sat Rainie. The three (or four) of them had become really good friends over the years and their group didn't grow nor did it shrink. 

As the lesson went on, Pets smiled down at her artpad i which she had finished drawing a portrait of Jiro. She gently smudged some pencil lines to finish off toning and shading in Jiro's face. She couldn't help but stare at his face in her drawing. Her drawing skills had improved massively and now her drawing of Jiro looked so realistic that she felt like Jiro would jump out of the paper. Jiro had also grown and matured into a handsome young man and Pets was grateful that he had stayed by her side. 

Sam and Rainie were just as close to her as they had been before - nothing had changed in Pets' life over the past years and neither did Sunnie's bullying. Sunnie continued to bully Pets and instead of getting better, it got worse as now Sunnie physically bullied her with the help of her new friends.

"Please don't forget to bring in your essays on the first five chapters!" the teacher announced as he closed his book. As if on cue, the bell rang and he said, "Class dissmissed!"

Immediately, all the students except Pets and her friends rushed out of the classroom.

As Rainie packed away her things, Sam walked over to her and frowned. He looked at her empty page of work and a portrait of Jiro.

"Pets, don't tell me you didn't take any notes again?" he questioned in disappointment.
After hearing this, Rainie and Jiro looked over their shoulders at her.
"I know how much Jiro means to you, Pets, but you're becoming too obsessed over him!" he chided with his hands on his hips.
Rainie turned around and nodded, "We're all good friends here but you have to focus on your education more," she scolded before looked over at Jiro's desk, "I know I'm being harsh, Jiro, but you won't be the one sitting the final exam. Pets has to work hard independently!"

Pets rolled her eyes and started clearing away her desk, "It's no big deal," she told them, "I'm doing fine in this class anyway," she reassured them.
Jiro stood up and raised his brow at her, "Really?" he questioned, "What about that last assignment you barely passed?" 
Pets sighed and swung her bag over her shoulder, "It's not my fault I don't like English!"
"Pets you can take a break from drawing - you can draw your whole life! But education only comes once! Rainie and Sam are right, you should listen to them!" Jiro lectured her sternly and she sighed.
"Okay fine, I won't do it again," she muttered, giving into him reluctantly.
"And besides, I won't disappear if you take your eyes off me," he added but in a softer tone.
Pets averted her gaze, That's what I'm afraid of...

Sam's lips tightened and he lowered his head, looking away from Pets.

Rainie sighed in relief and nudged Sam, "I'm glad she atleast listens to Jiro," she whispered with a smile. Sam then looked up at gazed intensely at Jiro's direction.
"But it's because of him she's like this," he spat almost venomously, "She's always thinking about him and putting him first before everything else."
Rainie cast her eyes down to the floor, letting her smile fall into a frown. Do you only care about Pets? she asked him in her thoughts sadly.
...

"Ge!" Pets squealed the moment she saw her older brother at home. She dropped her bag on the floor, ran up to him and threw her arms around him in a big hug.
"Someone's missed me!" her brother chuckled as he hugged her back.
"Of course!" she exclaimed, "I haven't seen you in years!"

Pets' brother, Chris, was the young master of the Tseng Household. When he was younger, he was sent abroad to study leaving his baby sister, at the time, in Taiwan. As he was studying and training to take over their father's company, he didn't visit Pets often and when he did, he couldn't stay long.

"I'm here to stay this time," Chris beamed at her while Jiro slipped into a chair to witness their reunion from the sidelines.
"Really?" Pets exclaimed happily, "What did you get me?!"
Chris rolled his eyes, "I got myself! Aren't I enough?" he joked.
Pets pouted and hit him playfully, "So you didn't get me a gift?"
A smile cracked onto his face and he ruffled her short hair, "How could I not bring my adorable mei mei a present?" he laughed before reaching into his bag. "Also, you seem more excited about my gift than me staying! Don't tell me you don't love me anymore," he whined, playfully.
Pets rolled her eyes, "I haven't been as lonely as you think you know," she replied as she snatched her present from him, "Jiro's been with me!"

Chris knew that Pets had a friend called Jiro and had heard from Genie that the two were good friends. But he'd never seen or heard him before and was curious to finally see his sister's best friend. "You're still friends with Jiro, huh?" he said and she nodded while tearing open the wrapping of her present.
"Of course I am," she replied and he smiled, glad that his sister had managed to make such a good friend whilst growing up alone. 
A smirk then curled onto his lips, "Then... is he your boyfriend now?" he inquired.

Immediately, Pets paused and Jiro's eyes widened. Both of their cheeks flushed pink and Pets shook her head repeatedly. "No way!" she exclaimed, "We're just best friends." 
Chris leaned forwards with a mischievous glint in his eyes, "Oh really? That blush just now is a bit suspicious," he teased, "Are you sure you don't like him?"
Pets' eyes widened and she shoved her half open gift back into her brother's hands. She stood up abruptly, "Can you not talk nonsense?" she hissed, "He's right there!" she told him in a whisper.

Chris looked around, first in surprise and then in confusion. He wanted to finally meet this boy that was close to his sister, but where on earth was he? His forehead wrinkled and he cast her an odd look. "Where is he?" he asked.
Pets gestured over to Jiro, "He's over there on the chair," she informed him, "Jiro, come over here and meet my brother!" she grinned happily and Jiro slowly came over to them.

"Uh, hello Chris Ge, I'm Jiro," Jiro introduced himself with some nervousness. He half smiled at the older man and waited for a response.

Chris' face fell as he stared at the empty space around him and his sister. He had finally understood who Jiro was:

His sister's imaginary friend.