Existing For You

Make-Believe

[Over a Year Later]

Pets quickly rushed down the stairs into the kitchen to see Genie preparing breakfast. "Morning Genie!" she said hurriedly, grabbing her lunch box from the table.
Genie just smiled at her: she was energetic as usual, "Good morning to you too, Pets," she replied.
Pets grinned and tucked her lunch box into her bag, "Genie, have your prepared Jiro's lunch box as well?" she asked.
Genie nodded as she closed the lid of a lunch box containing less and simpler food than that of Pets'. She handed it to the young girl, "Give this to Jiro and tell him to come down and have breakfast," she said. Pets nodded eagerly and ran out and her loud footsteps could be heard as she hopped up the stairs to her room.

Genie just smiled as she watched the girl leave. Jiro was Pets' imaginary friend and they had been together for nearly 2 years now. Although Jiro was just an illusion created by Pets' mind, Genie didn't mind at all. The moment Jiro arrived in the little girl's life, Genie could finally see her smile like the sun every day. It didn't matter that Jiro wasn't real and that no one could see him but Pets because Jiro was Pets' friend. He was her only friend. Genie was grateful to him for bringing the Young Miss' smile back to her face. The Tseng household, all the maids, cooks, butlers, drivers - everyone - was aware of Jiro's existence in Pets' heart and it was as though they, too, could feel his presence because of Pets. Wasting a bit of food on Jiro who didn't really eat was a small price to pay for keeping Pets happy and they all just wanted her to be happy.

Pets opened the door to her bedroom to see Jiro putting on his shoes. He had grown a bit in the past year. His hair was longer and but his face remained the same. "Jiro, hurry up we're going to be late for school!" Pets exclaimed, putting his lunch box in her own bag, "Genie said to have breakfast," she added.
Jiro yawned, "But I'm tired. Can we not go to school today, Pets?" he whined, pouting at her.
Pets shook her head, "You say that every day and my answer is always no," she replied as she picked up his dark blue jacket.
Jiro watched her slip it on, "Is my jacket your favourite piece of clothing?" he asked curiously.
Pets smiled and nodded, "It's still a bit too big for me though," she answered.
Jiro grabbed her hand and lead her out of the door, "That means you can wear it for longer," he beamed.
Pets looked down at their hands and smiled happily.

"Jiro, do you like your breakfast today?" Genie asked as she watched Pets each her breakfast, "Pets told me about your allergy to nuts, so I've made sure all my ingredients are nut free."
Jiro looked up from his breakfast, "Really?!" he asked, "Thank you so much Genie!"
"He says 'thank you'," Pets told Genie as she looked at Jiro gobbling down his breakfast, "He really likes it," she added.
Genie's lips curved upwards, "Why thank you Jiro. You're not short of compliments today, young man," she chuckled as she walked over the sink.

Butler Sun then walked into the kitchen holding quite a large box, "Miss, a package has arrived for you," he announced, placing the package on the counter.
Genie dried her hands and walked over to it, "Ah, it must be your early birthday present from your mother and father," she guessed as she read the small note attached to the package.
Pets looked away with disinterest, "I don't care," she grumbled.
"Why not?" Jiro asked, "It's nearly your 7th birthday, you should be happy you got a present!"
"Then you can have it, Jiro," Pets replied.
Genie frowned, "Maybe you'll want to open it after school?" she asked but Pets shook her head.

Jiro sighed, "Pets, is this about your parents not caring about you?" he asked.
Pets didn't answer.
"Pets!" Jiro exclaimed in slight frustration, "I'm sure your parents do care about you. If they didn't, they wouldn't have any reason to hand pick a present for you," he told her.
"But they never come home, I want to see them the most," Pets retorted.
"But they still think of you Pets," Jiro pointed out, "I don't have parents and I think you're lucky."
"You don't need parents when you have me and Genie," Pets muttered as she stabbed her pancakes with her fork.
"Pets just open your gift," Jiro urged, "Please?"
Pets sighed, "Fine," she mumbled and got out of her seat. Jiro grinned as he watched her walk over to the counter and tear away the wrapping. He stood up and watched her from the side.

Pets' eyes widened when she saw a box of expensive looking colouring pencils and a plain art pad underneath it.
"Wow, they're so cool!" Jiro exclaimed.
"Yeah..." Pets trailed off, "They're pretty nice."
Genie smiled at her, "Why don't you take them to school then?"
Pets nodded and then Genie carefully placed the pencils into her school bag.

...


Pets sat with Jiro at the back of the classroom during Miss Melody's art lesson. Pets sat next to the window and in the empty seat beside her was Jiro who was slumped over his table. "Jiro, pay attention!" she whispered, leaning over to shake him.
Jiro just groaned and showed her a boyish smile, "Let me sleep, please?"
Pets just rolled her eyes with a faint smile.

"Okay class, I want you to draw someone important to you," Miss Melody instructed as she handed out plain sheets of paper to every student, "It could be anyone you love. Your mum, your dad, your friend, your pet, anything."
Sunnie Huang turned around in her seat to look at Pets, "Pets, are you going to draw your parents?" she asked before pausing, "Oh wait, your parents don't love you so there's not point in drawing them!" she snickered and faint sniggers from their classmates followed.
"Not even your parents like you!" Cloudie laughed.
"You should just leave this school because no one likes you here!" Windie added with a haughty smirk.
Everyone laughed.
"Girls, now, now, it's not nice to say such mean things," Miss Melody scolded.

Jiro shot out of his seat, "You're wrong! Pets' parents do love her and so do Genie and I!" he spat angrily at them.
Pets shrunk down in her seat, "Jiro!" she exclaimed in a hushed whisper, "Ssh!"
"Who are you talking to over there, huh?" Sunnie questioned, "Making friends with ghosts?"
"I'm talking to my best friend!" Pets answered.
"There's no one there, do you need glasses?" Cloudie continued to laugh before she turned to Rainie, "She's blind right?"
Rainie just shrugged quietly.

"Girls, that’s enough!" Miss Melody exclaimed, "Please get on with your work."

Pets huffed and brought out her new coloured pencils, "I'll show them that I have important people in my life!"
Jiro rested his head in his hand and looked at her, "Are you going to draw your parents?"
Pets nodded and picked up a pencil. She thought long and hard about her parents' facial features and tried to imagine their faces. As soon as she sketched some lines, she abruptly stopped and scrunched up the paper. Confused, Jiro furrowed his brows, "Why'd you do that?" he inquired.
"I can't draw them," she whispered, "I don't know how to."
"Oh," Jiro responded.
Pets just smiled reassuringly at him, "Don't worry about me. You get drawing," she told him and Jiro nodded.

Pets let her pencil move across the page and when she had finished, on her page was the drawing of a boy. It wasn't of a professional standard but the uneven lines and shapes put together showed a cartoonish boy. Pets smiled when she realised who she had drawn and then confidently began colouring him in. Her face held a big smile as she coloured the boy's hair in a dark brown.

Jiro leaned over to peep at her drawing but immediately Pets blocked his view with her arm. "You're not allowed to look!" she told him excitedly.
"Aw, no fair!" Jiro exclaimed, "You can look at mine!"
Pets thought for a second, "Okay, after I see yours, I'll show you mine," she offered and Jiro nodded.
"Deal!" he said and picked up his sheet of paper to show Pets his drawing.
Upon seeing his drawing, Pets' eyes widened. "Is that...me?" she stuttered.

On Jiro's paper was the drawing of a cute little girl, pretty accurately drawn, though she had cartoonish eyes. The girl had short dark hair and her eyes seemed to sparkle.

Jiro nodded, "Yup!" he bore a smile that exposed his pearly whites, "You're the most important person to me! You're my best friend!" he scratched the back of his head with a slight awkward chuckle.
Pets picked up the sheet of paper (which in reality was blank) and smiled, "I love it!" she said, "Jiro, you're so good at drawing!"
Jiro just smiled at her. "Let me see yours?" he spoke up and Pets moved out of the way to show him her drawing.

As soon as his eyes met the childish drawing, he burst out laughing. "Pets, who is this?" he laughed, "Is that a girl or boy?" he covered his mouth to suppress his laughter.
Pets pouted, "That's you!" she huffed as she crossed her arms.
Jiro leaned closer to have a better look at the drawing, "Really? Why is one eye bigger than the other? Pets do I really look like this?" he asked, "Why does my nose look like an upside down palm tree- hey where are my eyebrows?" he questioned, jokingly.
Pets slapped his shoulder playfully, "You're so mean!" she whined, "I tried my best! Stop laughing!" she crossed her arms and turned her back to him.
As a result, Jiro put a hand on her shoulder, "Okay, I'm sorry Pets," he said gently, "It doesn't matter that it doesn't look realistic, I'm glad that you see me as important," he admitted in a soft voice.
Pets turned around, "Of course you're important," she said, "You're my best friend forever," she smiled.

"Who's your best friend now?" Sunnie came in, snatching Pets' drawing of Jiro.
"Hey, give it back!" Pets cried angrily.
Sunnie just laughed and inspected the drawing, "Did you draw a dog?" she laughed, "It's so ugly," she mocked.
"Give it back!" Jiro yelled, stepping towards her.
Cloudie, Windie and Rainie came over to see what was going on.
"Sunnie, give it back!" Pets pleaded.
Cloudie looked at the drawing and snorted, "Of course a rat will find another rat important to them," she sneered, taking the paper and holding it up in the air.
Pets jumped up and drown, trying to reach for it.

Jiro glared at them and ran over to Miss Melody who was busy helping another student on the other side of the classroom. "Miss Melody! Miss Melody!" he yelled, running over to her. Miss Melody didn't respond. "Miss Melody! Pets is being bullied again!" he exclaimed, tugging on her cardigan. "Miss Melody! Miss Melody!" he called over and over again. But Jiro was just an illusion, he wasn't real, how would Miss Melody see him?

Rainie grabbed the paper from Cloudie and looked at it with a blank face. "Rainie, please give it back!" Pets cried, almost on the verge of tears. Rainie met her eyes. Suddenly, Sunnie snatched the drawing from Rainie's hands, tearing it in half.
"No!" Pets exclaimed, helplessly watching Sunnie tear it into smaller pieces right before her eyes.
Hearing her cry, Miss Melody turned around and made her way over to the group of girls. Jiro sighed in relief and quickly followed after her.

Windie opened the window and Sunnie threw the pieces outside. The wind picked them up and blew them away. Cloudie ran her hand across Pets' desk, knocking off all her coloured pencils. "Next time draw a real person," Sunnie snickered, pushing past her.
"Girls!" Miss Melody barked angrily.
At this point, tears were pooling in Pets' eyes and she barged past everyone and ran out of the classroom crying.
Jiro's eyes were as cold as ice as he scowled at them. "You bullies!" he snapped at them before turning on his heel and running after Pets.

Jiro found Pets sitting outside on the steps, crying quietly to herself. In her hand was the blank sheet of paper, folded in half, in which she saw Jiro's drawing of her. Her head was buried in her knees and Jiro sighed as he sat down beside her. "Pets," he murmured, hugging her from the side, "Please stop crying," he whispered.
Pets sniffled sadly, "They're always picking on me..." She looked up at Jiro with tears streaming down her face.
Jiro gently caressed her cheeks and used his thumb to gently wipe away her tears, "You have to be strong, Pets. Show them that you can't be beaten," he encouraged her with a small smile.
Pets looked at the paper that she was clutching tightly, "They ruined my drawing," she whispered, "It was for you..." she trailed off sadly.
Jiro pat her on the head, "Don't worry. I've received your good intentions," he reassured her and then touched his heart, "I'm touched that you think of me as special. A silly drawing doesn't have to prove that," he added.

Pets wiped away her remaining tears and scoffed, "I'm such a cry baby," she smiled faintly at him.
"A big one," Jiro teased, flicking her forehead gently. "But it's okay. Those bullies will get a taste of their own medicine one day."
Pets nodded confidently, "I can't let them make me cry anymore," she announced, standing up, "I will show them that I do have someone I love and that's my best friend, Jiro. He's more real than their designer brands!"
Jiro also stood up and chuckled, "And how will you show them?"
"I'm going to draw you," Pets declared, "I'm going to practice and practice until my drawing looks exactly like you."
Jiro chuckled, "It might take a while for your scruffy lines to look like a person though," he joked only to be punched playfully on the shoulder.
"Hey!" Pets exclaimed.

...

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday Pets, Happy Birthday to you~!" sang everyone in the Tseng household as they surrounded the birthday girl at the table. Genie placed a large cake in front of her that had a large number 7 in the centre. "Happy Birthday Pets," Jiro also sang as he stood beside her.

Pets looked at the happy faces of everyone around her: Genie, Butler Sun, the maids, the cooks, the drivers, everyone – but she was more focused on Jiro. She felt the warmest atmosphere around her and she felt so happy. They were all like her family. Every birthday spent with them and Jiro seemed to get better and better.

"Pets, make a wish," Butler Sun encouraged and Genie nodded.
Pets nodded and clasped her hands eagerly. She glanced over at Jiro who just smiled at her quietly and then her eyes fluttered shut.

'I wish Jiro will stay with me forever...'

Her eyes opened again. "Jiro, you should make a wish too before I blow out the candles," she said to the boy.
"Me?" he asked in confusion, "But it's not my birthday."
"Let's make a birthday wish together on my birthday every year," she suggested, "Please?"
Nodding in agreement, the boy closed his eyes and made his wish.

'I hope Pets' wish comes true...'

He then opened his eyes and looked at her, "Ready to blow out the candles?" he asked and she nodded. The two, b with excitement, blew out the candles. Genie smiled to herself as she watched the small flames on the candles go out. 'I hope you are as happy as you are now in the future,' she thought.

After the two kids ate some cake, opened presents and played some games, Jiro dragged Pets to the garden.

"Jiro, why did you bring me here?" the young girl asked as she sat down on the grass.
"I have something for you," Jiro admitted, choosing not to sit beside her.
"Really?" Pets asked in confusion, "Why?"
"It's your 7th birthday so of course I have to give you something," he responded.
"Just being my friend is enough," Pets told him, looking up at him and meeting his gaze.
"I can't do much for you Pets, but Genie helped me with this," Jiro began, glancing over at Genie who watched them from inside the house. She just stood behind the window with a faint smile.
"Genie helped you?" Pets asked, now standing up, "Genie can see you?"
Jiro shrugged, "I don't know but," he lead her over to the bench where there was a card sitting on the wood, "This is for you," he finished.

Curiously but slowly, Pets turned to look at Jiro, "You made this?" she asked as she picked it up. The card was a pale yellow and on the front was a messy 'Happy Birthday Pets!' scribbled on the cover in a dark pink. Her eyes widened in surprise and she opened the card to see a small daisy fall out. She picked it up and stared at the almost dead daisy with withering white petals. "I picked it for you..." Jiro trailed off, "I can't really get you anything..." he mumbled. As soon as she heard his words, in Pets' eyes, the flower seemed to spring back to life. The petals uncurled and almost shone white. Quietly, she opened the card, feeling speechless. Inside the card was a message written in the same messy handwriting that read:

 


'Happy Birthday Pets!

From Jiro
'



"You wrote this...?" Pets asked in a quiet voice and Jiro nodded. "Genie helped me hold the pen and write. I'm sorry I can't get you anything fancy, Pets and I'm sorry I can't make you a proper card-" Jiro was cut off when Pets hugged him tightly.
"Thank you so much Jiro," she whispered, "This is the best birthday present ever."
Jiro's face softened and he returned her hug. "Happy Birthday Pets," he mumbled quietly.