Unnie?

Unnie?

The Gfriend dorm is unusually calm, one might think there’s no one there if not only for the faint voices from the television being on.

Two figures can be found by the living room, a movie playing in front of them though one is not really paying attention as she just lie down on the couch, her eyes directed on the ceiling. The other one seemed too focused on the television she might pierce a hole through the screen, her fingers tracing lazy circles on the other girl’s legs that blanketed her lap- the fact is she’s lost in her thoughts.

“Unnie?” the one lying down, called out.

Silence.

“Sowon unnie?” the girl tried again, this time calling the girl’s name.

“Uh, yeah?” slightly dazed, the girl responded.

“Am I really insensitive?”

“What are you talking ab… I mean, why the question, Eunha-ya?” Sowon asked a little bit confused.

Keunyang” Eunha shrugged. She had been thinking about it for a while- like for the past three days. There was a comment she read saying about how insensitive she was in their Vlive. And for the last three days, she’d been introspecting.

“Sometimes,” now Sowon says pulling Eunha back from her self-reflection.

“Owh,” Eunha just nodded in response. So it’s true. Have I done something? Is it because I’m tactless? Now, her mind is muddled with questions of contemplation.

“But you know it’s not really that bad,” Sowon looked at Eunha with a smile. She knows how the girl’s mind works and how it’s analyzing things at the very moment.

“How?” Eunha asked. “How could being insensitive ‘not really bad’ unnie?” she quoted Sowon’s words with emphasis. Being insensitive just meant, she might’ve hurt others without her knowing it, and to tell her it’s ‘not really that bad’, somewhat confuses her little brain.

 “Well, you know how you are so brutally honest sometimes, right?”

“Right and tactless.” She huffed.

“I actually like that about you.” Sowon tapped Eunha’s legs which the latter then slid down the older girl’s legs. This time, Sowon leaned back and slowly adjusted herself to lie down by the other’s side, leaving the movie on its own- now just a background music. As if it wasn’t from the start.

“But it’d still mean, I unknowingly hurt somebody at times,”

“You may be brutally honest but you don’t brutally hurt, you’re too cute to be capable of doing that,”

“I mean with my words,”

“I know, silly.”

A minute of silence enveloped the room as the movie ended. The two girls are still lying on the couch- Eunha with her head on Sowon’s shoulder as Sowon lightly scratch her it, just the way she likes it.

“Unnie?” Eunha called out again, her thoughts wouldn’t let her rest.

“Eung?”

“Have I done it to you?”

“What?”

“Have I been insensitive towards you?” she asked straight in the eyes.

“Always,” came Sowon’s reply with a chuckle.

“I’m sorry,” she looked away this time, guilt flushing in her system. Why did I bother ask, when it’s a solidly hard fact? She knocked herself.

“You don’t really have to be,” Sowon replied, prompting the other to face her. “I told you, it’s one thing about you that I like- you being brutally honest.” Sowon snickered as she left a peck on the girl’s cheek.

“But I think I may have done something that made your expressions sour for a moment.” Though Sowon had been trying to lift up the atmosphere, Eunha’s gloom can’t be countered.

“Hey,” Sowon tried to get her attention as she just stared at the ceiling blankly.

“Even buddies said it,” now her eyes are a bit glassy leaving Sowon in panic.

“Eunha, look at me.”

“I think I said something wrong that time, but I can’t figure it out.” Eunha was deaf to Sowon’s words.

“Eunha?”

“Yes, unnie?”

“Good,” Sowon sighed in relief. “Now listen to me, okay? You’re just jabbering, without listening.”

“I’m sorry.”

“First, yes, you are insensitive at times but they are hardly anything that hurts, you’re just stating facts, which of course, will just be realized later.” Sowon carefully said, eyeing Eunha with a mischievous smile and a few giggles. “Second, you are the only one who does that and could still be cute.”

“Oh, shut up unnie,” this time, it was Eunha’s turn to giggle. She knows that her leader is just flattering her and tell you, it’s effective.

“Honestly, I’m just glad that you are not one to tip-toe around me.” Sowon let out a sad smile this time, an arm covering her eyes.

“What do you mean unnie?” Of course, she tip-toes around her Sowon unnie- she’s too tall for her. But she knows what she means.

“You see, everyone has been very careful with talking to me nowadays. They are too careful not to mention a word related to parents- or more likely related to father. And I hate it, being treated like something very fragile.”

“Oh,” now Eunha realized something she had done during their Vlive. She remembered how Sowon avoided her holds that time but then acted like nothing happened later on. ‘I really am insensitive to have said it like that and a very dumb one to not fully realize it ‘til now.’ She knocked herself again.

“I was trying to avoid the topic at first but I realized later that I have to face my reality and that I have to accept the things that can’t be changed.”

“Unnie? I’m sorry for that time.” Eunha wasn’t really listening to Sowon as she was caught in her thoughts- scolding herself.

“Huh?” Sowon responded, confused.

“The Vlive?”

“You’re not listening Eunha…”

“Still, I know you were affected at that time. It’s just I only realized it now.”

“And I realized after that, that instead of burying them deep down, I should dig up those memories. They make us and it’s us that made them so there’s no point in trying to forget them else we are also forgetting ourselves.” Sowon’s reply earned her an amazed look from the girl beside her. “And above all, the persons within those chapters of our lives are the ones worth remembering. We should not refrain from speaking of them just because they’re no longer with us.”

“All the more that we have to speak of them, unnie, so they won’t lose their place in our hearts.” Eunha could not agree more.

“Thanks for being my reminder Eunha-ya.” Eunha’s response came in the form of a tight hug as she snuggled more to the other’s arms. They remained in that position for quite some time-Sowon brushing Eunha’s hair lazily with her fingers, her arm being made a pillow and the other arm draped across the girl’s waist slightly tapping her back in a silent rhythm.

“Unnie?” Eunha spoke again pulling Sowon out of her subconscious.

“Eung?”

“Would you like to talk about your dad?”

“W-h-, wae?” flustered Sowon stuttered. She didn’t expect the question at all.

“Just a thought and to tell you I’d listen.” The last words were pronounced timidly that Sowon just barely heard it, thanks to the distance between them. Her smile went ear to ear as she stared at Eunha with an embarrassed grin festooning her face. “Cute.” She thought.

“Let’s talk about your dad, always. Anytime you’d like, I’ll listen.” This time, she had the courage to speak at a more sensible volume.

“Well, thank you. But why?” Sowon asked confused at the offer. “I mean, I know you’d always listen, you’ve been doing that everyday.”

“I mean… your dad? Always???”

“Huh?”

“So your dad will remain in place?”

“Hmmm?”

“In your heart.”

“Of course, Eunha. He will always be in my heart.” Sowon chuckled.

“Because, I’d want to meet him there and report on your happiness.”

“Oh my gaaahhhdd unnie, that was sapp-!” that was Hwang Eunbi who has her fingers curled for quite some time now and mouth muffled with a hand whose owner’s arms got her in a headlock.

 

The end.

 

Just imagine Eunha’s surprise. O.O