Dead End

Craved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well !” Jun cursed as he threw the keys of his car on the dashboard.

“What’s the problem?” Jae asked as he bent down to see inside.

“The car won’t start, man,” Jun said in frustration. “We’re ing lucky we didn’t run out of gas before we reached this place.”

“The tank’s empty?” Junsu asked as he looked around the street to check for danger.

“Looks like it,” Jae answered as he straightened up and put his hands on his pocket. “I guess we’ll have to ride with you in the van.”

“Since that warehouse Mino was talking about in the highway was before your in-law’s house, we have to stop by that place first for food then we go directly to the house to leave a message before going to the cabin,” Jun said.

“Yeah. But before that, we also need to look for gas station. We need to stock up an maybe the vans nee it as well,” Jae suggested as the 2 men nodded their agreement.

“Guys,” Bom said as she suddenly appeared in the front door of the building. “Better come inside. I’m worried when the 3 of you are out there.”

“Okay,” Junsu said as he walked toward his girlfriend.

Jae and Jun followed as the entered the building and locked the front door. When they reached the break room, everybody’s there. Jae knew that everyone was hungry. Thunder and Hayi were trying their best to distract the kids from whining about food.

“So what’s the plan?” Yunho questioned them as he approached the men. Thunder walked towards them as well.

“Well, Jae can’t use the car so they will ride with us. The company has 2 vans at the back. Since you know Thunder, you and the rest will ride with him. We’ll follow you since Mino knows the location of the warehouse. Then once we got our food, we’ll go directly to Thunder’s house and leave my wife a message, just in case. After that, we’ll drive directly towards the cabin,” Jae explained.

“But we need to be careful,” Jun added. “We don’t know if there are zombies in those areas so we have to be prepared. There are a lot of steel pipes in this building especially at the back since the construction is still on-going before this happened. We have to be armed at all times.”

“I agree,” Yunho said. “We’ve lost a lot of people. I don’t want to lose some more.”

The guys nodded in unison.

“Okay, Thunder,” Jae said as he pointed at the other guys in the room. “Take Mino and Hoony with you at the back. Look for weapons that each of us could carry – a steel pipe, a tool, anything that can kill the zombies and give the women as well.”

“On it,” Thunder said as he walked towards the 2 young men near the kitchen.

“I’ll go with you and help,” Junsu said as he walked with him.

“You and Jun should check the vans and see if it will both work,” Jae said to Yunho. “You, Thunder, Mino, Hoon, Hayi, Jisoo, Lisa and Rose will ride the 1st van out of here. The rest of us will follow you to the warehouse. If you see a gas station, we should stop there first.”

Yunho and Jun nodded in unison as both walked towards the back of the building. Jae walked towards his sons who were busy playing with the women and the puppy.

“Daddy!”

“Daddy!”

Jae smiled at them and kissed them both.

“Are we going to see mommy and Daehan?” Manse asked him.

“Yeah. We will look for them,” Jae said to his son.

“I miss them,” Minguk said as he pouted. “Daddy, I’m hungry.”

“We have no food here, Minguk. We’ll drive around and look for something good, okay?”

Minguk smiled and nodded his head as they both went back to the group and play with the puppy. Bom stood up and walked towards him.

“Are we ready to leave?” Bom asked nervously.

“Yes, tell them to get ready. I don’t think we can bring anything useful here anyway. The guys will give everyone a weapon. Make sure to keep yours with you all the time. Tell the girls t they’ll be riding with Thunder and Yunho in the 1st van.”

“Okay.”

After a couple of minutes, all of them were in the back of the building getting ready to leave the area. Thunder, Yunho, Mino, Hoony, Lisa, Rose and Hayi were in the 1st van while Jae, Jun, Junsu, Bom, the kids and the puppy are in the 2nd van. Thankfully, both vans have enough gas to travel but they still need to gas up just in case. They drove towards the highway without encountering a single zombie out of the city. They rode for a few minutes before Mino pointed them to the entrance of the warehouse. It was locked, of course. And it looked like there were no zombies inside the parking area.

Both vans stopped to check. Thunder got out of the driver’s seat as well as Jun on the other. Yunho, Jae and Junsu followed. They waited for a few minutes if there was something unusual in the area. When there was none, Jun went back to the van and looked for a tool that could cut the huge chain padlock that secured the gate of the newly built warehouse. When they were able to cute it, the vans went inside as Mino and Hoon closed the gate without locking it just to put a bit of a barrier for dangerous strays from getting inside the lot. The vans parked near the back entrance of the warehouse. There was still no sign of danger. The place looked undisturbed. Jae instructed for Bom to stay inside with the kids as the others went out to check the place, carrying their weapons.

“It seems untouched,” Yunho said as he looked around.

“Yeah, even the backdoor is locked,” Mino said as he checked the door.

“Are you sure there are foods inside? It might just be an open space,” Junsu asked.

“I’m sure. My dad said they stocked it already for the opening,” Mino replied.

“Jun, let’s open this,” Jae said.

“Wait,” Thunder told them as he faced the group. “We don’t know what’s inside. Maybe there’s food but there could be someone in there. Maybe there’s none. But just to be sure, once Jun opens that door, we should be ready to hit or stop anything that comes out.”

The group agreed. Hoony asked the girls to go back to the van just in case they needed to escape quickly. Hayi went to the driver’s seat as Rose and Lisa entered the back again. Bom went to the driver’s seat in the van, just in case as well.

As Jun cut the padlock of the door, he opened it an expected something dangerous inside. Turned out, there was none. When they switched on the light, they saw that Mino was right. The place was stock with food and other stuff. The freezers were even working. The guys spread out to check every aisle and doors to make sure no danger was lurking. After a couple of minutes, Hoony came out at the back and signaled the girls to come inside. They all hurried towards the door and then Hoony locked it.

“Okay, everything seems good,” Yunho said as he put down the heavy steel pipe he was carrying. “Obviously we can’t bring everything here. I suggest we go for the boxes, the stocks or maybe look for empty boxes were we can put the things that we only need.”

“I agree,” Jae said as he checked the corner of the room. “Yunho since you’re a doctor, focus on anything that could be of use when it comes to health like medicines, ointments, bandages, etc.”

“Done.”

“Jun, you’re good with tools and home improvements, focus on anything we could use to build or fix anything in the cabin. We need stock of those if we plan on building a fence or even lights and other things we could use to improve the cabin.”

“Okay, I’ll take care of it,” Jun answered as he searched the location of those things he needed.

“Mino and Hoon, take care of all the things we need as men. Maybe you can find towels, shirts, razors, hygiene stuff, anything we could use,” Jae ordered as the 2 young men nodded and ran around the aisle.

“Bom, take the kids with you, get anything that you think the kids need,” Jae said to her.

“Okay, I’ll do that,” Bom said and then she looked at the boys. “Come on, Minguk and Manse, let’s look for food.”

“Can we find the puppy food, Aunt Bom?” Minguk asked.

“Of course. Just follow me.”

“Hayi, Thunder, you handle the food, check the expiration. Fruits, veggies we can immediately eat. Canned goods that we can stock for a year or 2, at least. Fresh meat that we can consume for now. Snacks for the kids. Anything we use in the kitchen even condiments – things like that,” Jae said.

“We’ll do that,” Thunder replied as he looked around.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter