You Kill or You Die

Craved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bom rationed their water to the newcomers as they all went downstairs after the harrowing scenario they’ve been through on the rooftop. Minguk and Manse, now reunited, were sleeping on the couch beside Jae. Thunder and Hayi were holding onto each other as they tried their best to relax. Yunho who cried out of tiredness and fear a while ago was in one of the revolving chairs as he treated Jisoo from a small wound she had when she bumped into the wall just before Jun caught her. Hoon, Mino, Rose and Lisa were all just quiet, busy drinking their cup of water.

“We locked everything,” Jun said as he entered the break room with Junsu.

“Is everybody okay?” Junsu asked as he looked at the newcomers.

The newcomers nodded but they didn’t say anything.

“I’m sorry about what happen to your friend back there,” Bom said quietly to the girls near her. They both nodded.

“I wish I could un-see it,” Rose admitted sadly.

“Me too,” Lisa added. “She was so scared.”

“You all are,” Bom interjected. “We are, too. And I know it’s difficult but you don’t have to remember that moment if you don’t want to. You just have to focus on your other memories with her. That’s what I would do.”

The girls sadly nodded. Then Bom left the girls and moved towards Yunho and Jisoo.

“Here, drink this. I’m sorry this is all we can offer to all of you,” Bom said as she put the cup of water on table near Yunho and Jisoo. She looked at the gash on Jisoo’s arm. It wasn’t deep but it looked bad. She patted Jisoo’s shoulder before she moved again to Junsu’s side.

“So all this time, you all been staying in that building?” Jun suddenly said to the newcomers.

“Yeah,” Thunder answered.

“How did you get mixed up with them?” Junsu asked Thunder.

“I was driving a school bus with Hayi and Manse, trying to get out of the city when I met Yunho, Hye Sun and Jaehyun. They were the couple you saw on the rooftop. Jaehyun was badly injured when we met him. Yunho kept him alive for days. Then we met these guys,” he pointed at the 2 boys and 3 girls. “So many things happened since then.”

“We lost so much,” Hayi said quietly as she rested her head on Thunder’s shoulder.

“Lost so much?” Jae asked.

“Yes, before tonight, we have 2 others who died trying to save us. Ksy and Jin were Mino and Hoon’s friends. We lost them just before we all went up to the rooftop,” Thunder explained.

“And then we lost Jennie, Hye Sun and Jaehyun,” Hayi continued. “I was afraid of losing more back there. It really felt like it was the end until you found us. Thanks to Minguk.”

Jae sighed and shook his head.

“Yeah, well, I don’t know whether I should be glad that Minguk saw all of you on the rooftop or I should reprimand him again from going off on his own,” Jae said in a tired voice.

“Jae, I know you said my parents are gone,” Thunder said quietly. “But…but do you think my sister’s okay?”

Jae looked at Thunder sadly.

“I really don’t know. I am hoping she’s still okay as well as Daehan. We talked about going to your parent’s house before all this happened. That’s why we went there but she didn’t come,” Jae replied sadly. “I want to keep believing that she’s hiding with Daehan somewhere. Maybe she didn’t want to risk walking or driving towards the house…or maybe she couldn’t find a car…so they stayed somewhere safe.”

“My sister’s smart. I know she’ll do that,” Thunder said.

“I want to look for her and Daehan,” Jae said to Thunder. “But I can’t bring Minguk and Manse with me. Can you watch them for me?”

“I don’t think going alone is your best option, Jae,” Junsu interjected worriedly.

“But with a big group like this, it’s not going to be safe traveling around,” Jae said.

“True. But believe me, we tried going through the hordes of zombies in this area when we looked for food and medicines, it’s not going to be a walk in the park,” Yunho said. He was finally done treating Jisoo. “Big groups like this is a disadvantage, too, especially when we have kids in tow.”

“I think if Jae is going out to find Dara and Daehan, someone should be with him to watch his back and vice versa,” Jun said to the group. “But that leaves out Thunder since he needs to stay behind for Minguk and Manse.”

“I’ll go,” Junsu volunteered to Bom’s dismay.

“Junsu…”

“Bom, I can’t let Jae do this alone. He can’t be outside alone,” Junsu explained to Bom.

“I care for you. I don’t want anything bad to happen to you, too,” Bom said sadly.

“Look,” Jun interjected. “I understand that Jae needs to look for his wife and son. And I also understand that he needs to have someone with him. Just like Yunho said, a large group may be a disadvantage but 2 is better than 1. So he needs someone to be with him. I know Junsu you’ll be the first to volunteer for this because he’s your brother but…before we think about this…Jae, do you even know where to start looking first?”

“What do you mean?” Jae asked.

“I mean, you can’t just walk outside without really knowing where to go. You might be far off from her exact location so what’s the point of saving her then,” Jun explained. “Dara is a friend of mine, too, but we can’t just do things now without thinking it through. We have to plan this kind of stuff. Otherwise, we’ll be the one needing rescuing instead of the other way around.”

Everybody understood. Jun had a point. No one knew where Dara and Daehan’s location so it was pointless to walk around the city, risking their safety, if there was no exact destination to go to.

“But being here and waiting kills me,” Jae admitted to his friends. “I feel like I need to find her and our son. The longer I wait, the harder it will be for me to find them. But yes, you’re right. I really don’t know where to look first.”

“Why don’t you start again at her parent’s house since that’s the only sure place she’ll be?” Bom suggested.

“Yeah, I think that’s the best option. If Dara wants to find you and her sons, she’ll be going back home,” Jun added.

“But that house isn’t safe anymore. The neighbors could be a problem, too. We don’t know what else is lurking in that area,” Jae said.

“True but we can go back just to leave a message or post something on the gate or door. Something that will give Dara a hint where she could find us,” Junsu suggested. “We don’t need to put the exact location because others might stumble upon it and not everyone can be trusted at this point…but you know, that’s something to consider.”

“I agree. Jae, why don’t we put up a sign on the gate just in case she’ll come around,” Thunder said. “But not here. No offense but I don’t think this building is safe. Now it looks like it is but it’s not going to help us in the long run. We might end up stranded here if the zombies started hanging around our front door.”

The group went quiet. They were thinking.

“I know,” Jae said suddenly. “Bukhansan cabin.”

The newcomers didn’t get what Jae was trying to say.

“Yeah, Bukhansan…why didn’t I think of that?” Thunder said.

“What’s in Bukhansan?” Jun asked.

“We have a cabin there. I got it when Dara and I almost separated before. I stayed there for a while to do some thinking. Then when we got back together, I decided to keep the place. I bring Dara and the kids there during long holidays. It’s just near here. It’s near Bukhansan National Park,” Jae said as he tried to think of an idea. “Um…maybe I could leave that message at her parent’s house. Then hopefully she and Daehan can drive towards the cabin. Staying at her parent’s house is not an option. It’s not safe. In Bukhansan, we don’t have neighbors. It’s right on top of the mountain. It’s quiet. I don’t think these flesh-eating monsters will stay anywhere near that mountain. Eventually, they will get hungry and they will look for something to eat so they’ll be here in the city. We can just do some barricading around the house. We have generators there. We just need stocks of food. We have a well. We can plant there too.”

“You know that idea is tempting but I think you all forgot something,” Yunho spoke.

“What?” Junsu asked him.

“How do we all go there? And since you said we need stocks of food, we definitely need to find that and a ride big enough to carry the things we need. We also have to consider the possible horde of zombies we might come across on the way there. Yes, it’s a mountain but I don’t want to underestimate the zombies,” Yunho explained.

“I have a car. There are 2 brand new vans at the back. I have all the keys. We just need good drivers and a place to find food and supplies,” Jun said.

“It will only take us 15 minutes to reach the cabin from here if we don’t have any road blocks,” Jae said.

“And maybe my sister is already there,” Thunder added. “Maybe that’s where they’re hiding too.”

Jae knew that it was a big possibility. If Dara and Daehan couldn’t make it at her parent’s house, Jae was sure that Dara would consider going to the next safe place she could think of and that would be their cabin. After all, that’s was were he was supposed to take her for their date night.

“Okay, we’ll do this,” Jae said with pure determination. “I’ll drive to her parent’s house just to put a sign about it. And then I’ll meet you guys in the cabin. I’ll take Jun’s car. While the rest of you will have to find a grocery store or food mart, anywhere we can find stocks of food and bring it to the cabin.”

“I like that idea,” Junsu said. “I’ll go with you, Jae. Bom, Minguk and Manse will go with us. Then Thunder since you know where the cabin is located, you can drive the other van towards it. But you need to find food and supplies. Jun will drive the other van.”

“A convoy. I’m fine with that. We’ll just have to separate the groups in each van,” Jun said. “But Jae, the car needs gas. You need to find one. We all need to find gas because we need that for the cabin.”

“Yeah, but don’t worry we have solar there, too. I put it up 2 months ago,” Jae said. “What we need to find is a place for food, supplies and gas.”

“I think I can help,” Mino said as he raised his hand.

“How?” Jun asked.

“I, well, if we have a ride then there’s a warehouse shopping center near the highway. It’s brand new. Still not open to the public but I know it’s already full of things. They’re o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter