Extra

Closer than you Think

Gahyeon popped her head into Dami's classroom and quickly scanned the room. She sighed in relief to not see the older girl at all before entering the classroom. She walked over to Dami's desk, though with each step she took she started to become nervous at what she was going to do next. This is too straightforward. How did Handong talk me into this? She whined in her head as her legs felt like they were getting heavy with each step she took. She could feel her heart thumping against her chest enough for the sensation to reach her neck. It's okay. Dami isn't going to notice what I currently doing. Gahyeon mentally thought as she stood by Dami's desk. She took in a deep breath and finally placed a lunch box on the desk. She had written a little post-it note that was riddled with pandas. When she was finished she fled the classroom without anyone seeing her.

 

She met up with Handong and kept whining on how embarrassing it was to enter an upperclassman’s room without anyone there.

 

“You're so mean, Dongie. You left me to fend for myself in dangerous waters.” She said as she was playfully punching her on the shoulder.

 

“You need to gather up some courage. You already confessed to her and you did tell her that you are actively pursuing her.” Handong was drinking milk tea as she brushed off Gahyeon's usual moments of debating if she did the right thing. Gahyeon screamed as she remembered that she did tell Dami that she would wait for her.

 

“Can I tell her that I take back my confession?” Handong glared at Gahyeon and flicked her on the head. “Ouch! What was that for?” Gahyeon pouted as she rubbed the center of her forehead.

 

“That's for being dumb,” Handong said as Gahyeon removed her hand from her forehead. “Ah.” Was all she said as she was too shocked at the fact that she had accidentally drawn blood. Gahyeon looked at her confused but she brushed it off as she began planning something. “Come with me.” Handong dragged Gahyeon to the library as she searched for something. “I found it.”

 

“Dongie, what are you DOING!” Handing pushed Gahyeon into one of the book aisles and left. Gahyeon who didn't have good reflexes fell forward and hit someone. “I'm sorry!” She instantly said as she looked up and froze at who she bumped into. The neutral brown gaze she grew fond of were gazing upon her.

 

“Are you okay?” Dami said as Gahyeon's ears were already in heaven at her naturally deep voice that held her innocence. Gahyeon nodded as her nerves were going haywire to the point that her words died in the midst of traveling up . “Are you sure?” Dami questioned as Gahyeon realized that she had been holding onto Dami's arm that held a book.

 

“Y-yeah.” She stuttered out as she quickly released her grip on Dami and put them behind her back. Dami looked at Gahyeon and furrowed her eyebrows. She closed her book and placed it back on the shelf. She then reached out to Gahyeon and gently tucked in her hair behind her ear. That way there wasn't any obstacles that might block her view.

 

“You're bleeding.” Dami softly said as she was about to wipe the blood away with her fingers.

 

“What?” Gahyeon said before being pulled and having something soft kiss her forehead. Gahyeon began her internal panic as she didn't know what was happening. When Dami pulled away her face was unreadable, and she coughed as the mood became awkward.

 

“I'm sorry I didn't know what got over me.” She covered her lips with her hand and began walking away. I've tainted my angel. I shouldn't get her involved with me and yet I can't push her away properly. Dami thought as she hurried away from the library.

 

“Wha-what just happened?” Gahyeon fell to the ground as she began blushing furiously. Her lips were so soft. Gahyeon kept thinking as blood rushed up to her head causing herself to bleed some more.

 

Handong saw Dami leave without Gahyeon and she wondered what might have happened. She entered the library and found Gahyeon on the ground repeatedly saying Dami Unnie kissed me. She was beyond happy that Gahyeon's one-sided crush was finally being realized but somehow something didn't seem right.

 

During lunchtime, Dami began looking for Gahyeon as she held the lunch box that had been neatly wrapped. The note that had pandas on it said.

 

It's unhealthy for you to be eating from the cafeteria every day for lunch. I just happened to make too much food so might as well give it to you then chuck it into the trash. Got to be healthy so I can see you dashing face once again without any worries. From Gahyeon.

 

Dami’s corner of the mouth twitched but soon went back to the thin line she had always been using. She looked around the school for the overly-enthusiastic underclassmen who might have captured her attention. She searched all over the place until she reached the courtyard and there she was staring at the trees as the leaves struggle to maintain their hold onto their designated spot.

 

“There you are, Gahyeon” Dami called out to her as she didn’t mean to call out to Gahyeon. So, when she looked at Dami she froze with fear as she knew that she didn’t usually act this way. “Uhm…” She rubbed her neck as she found it hard to talk to her. There was a reason why you called out to her. “Lunch… thanks.” She couldn’t look at Gahyeon in the eye as she nodded and left the courtyard.

 

“What just happened?” Gahyeon questioned as she just missed her chance to talk to Dami. “Ah! I should have asked her out to lunch.” She pouted as she crossed her arms and poked her cheek. Dami walked off and passed by her friend Sua who was waiting for her to notice her.

 

“I don't understand you sometimes.” Sua walked up to Dami who wasn't listening to her. “You say to me that the girl who sheltered you from the rain is your angel. An angel that you needed to repay back as soon as possible and yet here you are avoiding her like the plague.” Sua kept going on as she glanced elsewhere. “What are you so afraid of?” Sua questioned. Dami stopped and turned around quickly.

 

“I'm afraid of tainting her. Of corrupting the girl who has fallen for me.” Dami pointed to herself. “The devil of the family. The Abomination. The heartless person who can't express herself properly.” Dami was hurt but her voice was still monotone showing none of her internal struggles. She clenched her fists as she knew that nothing has changed about her. “One day she’ll realize that there is no happy end into loving a monster like me.” Dami drew a breath but Sua wasn't listening to her complaints anymore.

 

“So, what if you taint her?” Sua nonchalantly said as she shrugged off Dami's somewhat of a heart wrecking confession. “Doesn't she have a say in what she wants. She clearly has an infatuation with you and all you're doing is fanning the flames to make them skyrocket not simmering down the flame. You say you can't go out with her, but she says she's willing to wait. You could have said no but you instigate it in saying don't stop with the post-it notes.” Sua kept blabbing about Dami's weird hot and cold mood swings.

 

“I get it already Sua Unnie. I'm a complicated person.”

 

“You got that right,” Sua affirmed as she grabbed Dami's hand and began pulling her to who knows where. Gahyeon, on the other hand, was beating herself up for freezing on Dami again without uttering any words. She was in the middle of her thoughts until she felt someone near her. She looked over to see her crush with a raised eyebrow looking at someone. Gahyeon looked over at whoever Dami was looking at and found herself gazing into the eyes of a very intimidating person. She shrunk down from Sua's piercing gaze as she could feel her icy aura invade her body enough that her mind was screaming to stay away from the girl. Dami noticed Gahyeon's state and pulled her closer to her out of instinct. Sua watched the interaction with amusement as she began laughing. “Dami, I'm going to leave you alone now to have lunch with your angel and I'm going to go back to University.” She walked away cheerfully as Gahyeon began questioning everything that had just happened.

 

Gahyeon gazed up at Dami who still had her arm on Gahyeon's waist. She blushed at the sudden notice of contact they had.

 

“Are you okay?” Dami asked as she looked around Gahyeon's appearance to determine if she was uncomfortable. Gahyeon shook her head which made Dami relieved.

 

“You have some nice friends.” Gahyeon awkwardly said while Dami nodded. Their lunch pretty much was all awkward glances at each other while slowly eating their food.

 

“It's delicious… did you make it?” Dami attempted to talk to Gahyeon. Well, this is awkward. Dami rubbed the back of her neck and the silence continued.

 

After school…

 

The weather decided to bless the awkward situation with rain. No, it wasn't the nice light drizzle kind of rain but the raining cats and dog’s kind. Gahyeon sighed as she stuck her hand out to feel when the heavy rain would lighten up enough for her to run home.

 

“Is something wrong?” Gahyeon jumped at the sudden voice that broke the silence. She looked over at whoever gave her a mini heart attack. It was Dami who was looking at her curiously as her head tilted slightly to the side. Dami observed her carefully as she noticed that she didn't have an umbrella. “Do you want it back?” She questioned but Gahyeon looked at her with confusion. “Your umbrella… do you want it back?” Dami rummaged through her bag and pulled out the umbrella.

 

“Uhm…... I…... it's…… don't worry.” Gahyeon was having troubles with her words as Dami became concerned for the little one.

 

“Are you okay?” Dami began closing the distance between them. Gahyeon froze in her spot as Dami grasped onto Gahyeon's arm. “You're cold, that's not good at all.” Dami continued without looking into Gahyeon's eyes. “Come with me.” Dami opened the umbrella and began dragging her to who knows where.

 

Gahyeon couldn't complain about her current situation as she was holding hands with Dami while sharing an umbrella. It looks awkward, but it was the only thing Dami could think of to make sure she takes care of Gahyeon. Dami had Gahyeon hold her umbrella while her own hand was overlapping Gahyeon’s.

 

They walked fairly fast as the cars were driving fast enough for the water to hit them. Dami didn't like how Gahyeon was getting wet so she placed herself closer to the road as they sped walked to their destination.

 

“We're here,” Dami said as she pulled Gahyeon into the building. Gahyeon watched as she was dragged through the building to an elevator. Dami closed the umbrella and clicked on the 3rd floor.

 

“Where's here?” Gahyeon’s mind finally caught up to her.

 

“My house” Dami shrugged as she watched the numbers change to 3. Once the doors open she grabbed Gahyeon's hand and pulled her to her apartment door. When they finally entered Dami ushered Gahyeon to the table where the redhead was happily eating some ramen. “Jiu Unnie.” Dami breathed out as she couldn't look at Jiu in the eyes. She felt embarrassed internally, but her words came out dry and emotionless. Jiu stopped eating her noodles midway before they entered and looked at Dami. She put her noodles down and began focusing in Dami.

 

“You're back early,” Jiu said as she tried acting mature. “How can I help you?” She glanced at the girl behind Dami as they made eye contact with each other. Jiu gave her a reassuring smile and Gahyeon felt herself relaxing until Jiu continued. “Do I need to hide her body next after you're done with her?” Jiu joked but her voice told it as a serious matter. Gahyeon instantly hid behind Dami for protection. Dami’s eye twitched which didn't go unnoticed by Jiu who only laughed. “I'm joking Dami, geez, you need to ask Sua for those tips I swear she's part of the mafia.”

 

“I don't care about that.” Dami narrowed her eyes at Jiu who only smiled away. “Can you make her some hot chocolate?” Dami asked as Jiu only nodded and went off to make it. Dami turned to Gahyeon. “Sorry, Jiu Unnie, is…. Something else.” Dami started as she began mumbling then nodding. She proceeded to grab her bag as well as Gahyeon’s and placed it in her room. Dami also motioned Gahyeon to follow her and she did.

 

They entered the room as Dami sat on the bed while Gahyeon followed her lead.

 

“Why did you bring me here?” Gahyeon asked while Dami didn’t look at her.

 

“I need to tell you something,” Dami stated as she stayed quiet while trying to mentally calm down. Gahyeon waited for Dami to tell her as she was trying really hard not to look around Dami’s room. “I fear you,” Dami confessed while Gahyeon looked at Gahyeon in shock. “It’s not because of your love or that you are a girl.” Dami quickly stated as she knew that her previous words would lead to a misunderstanding. “I fear you because you’ll come to regret liking a monster that is me,” Dami said as she stayed quiet.

 

“You’re not a monster though.” Gahyeon needed to firmly stand her ground. “I know you aren't a monster at all. You helped me in ways you never understand. You are so caring as I recalled you beat someone up just because they were picking on the poor and helpless. You have so many positive things about you that it hurts me to hear that you call yourself a monster.” Gahyeon argued to her.

 

“That’s what you’d like to believe. I’ll taint you to the point that you wished you never met me. I like you enough to know that I need you to stay clear of me.” Dami retorted but Gahyeon wasn’t having it.

 

“I’ll be the judge of that. You can’t go deciding for me what’s right for me. Sure, you like me but at least try and be with me before concluding that you’re a bad influence.”

 

“I can’t risk it at all, Gahyeon. I can’t lose you like I have lost others before.” Dami said weakly but Gahyeon pushed forward.

 

“I told you that I will wait for you. At least trust me on that please.” Dami looked into Gahyeon’s eyes and there it was staring back at her the same look she fell for on that rainy day. The look of no judgment and one that was enough for her to feel like she wasn’t a monster.

 

“Okay.” Was all Dami said before Sua came crashing in and shouted out.

 

“Ya! Lee Yoobin, tell your bodyguard to stop taking my bras and wearing them.” Sua cried out as Jiu came into the room.

 

“Explain to my girlfriend, Dami, that if I miss her I need to have something that’s physically hers before I come crashing into her university just, so I can be by her side regardless of what my job is.” Jiu countered and Dami sighed.

 

“You guys need to get out of my room as of this moment. I’m trying to have a moment here with my angel.” Dami said as she pushed the bickering couple out the door.

 

“Angel huh?” Gahyeon teased while Dami only nodded.

 

“Angel really suits you though.” Dami smoothly said as she went to sit by Gahyeon.

 

“How did I get the nickname Angel?” Gahyeon was really curious about everything Dami had in store.

 

“It’s a long story but I’ll tell you on a rainy day.” She winked at Gahyeon who had drop.