Fin

Closer than you Think

I remember the day I met an angel. She looked so innocent as she sheltered me from the rain with her own umbrella. Something not many people would do for me. She didn't know me at all and yet she decided to help me despite my appearance.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked as she gazed upon me with her pools of brown. The ever so common brown that I am used to seeing but when looking at her I feel like her brown orbs suit her the best. I became a loss of words as the rain drowned out all the sounds that were around us. She stood there still smiling as she patiently waited for me to reply. I could only nod to her kind and gentle words hoping my already tainted self wouldn't dirty such fragile beauty before me. “You're soaking wet.” She stated as she reached into her pocket to grab her handkerchief.

 

When she was wiping the droplets of rain that had fallen on me. I felt her soft hand brush against my skin sending signals to my body as I immediately trembled against her touch. That day was the day I had become enraptured by her beauty and kindness.


“Lee Yoobin?” Sua called out as she found Dami in a daze. Dami looked over at her and gave a half-hearted smile. “You okay?” She asked while taking a seat next to Dami.

 

“I will be.” Was all she said as she went back to her memories. Sua didn't question what Dami was thinking about as she rested her head on Dami’s shoulder. She closed her eyes and let the peaceful nature envelop them into their own world.

 

Off in a distance, there was Gahyeon pouting as she longingly gazed at her one-sided crush. She slumped against the window while resting her chin on her hand.

 

“I wish I was the one in her spot,” Gahyeon grumbled as she only focused on the one she grew to appreciate off into the distance.

 

“You can always talk to her,” Handong said making Gahyeon jump up from her position and look at her.

 

“Don't scare me like that.” Gahyeon gasped out as she placed a hand over her erratic heartbeat. Handong looked at her with an amused grin on her face.

 

“Have you’ve been stalking Yoobin again?” Handong questioned as she peered over Gahyeon’s shoulder only for her to cover Handong’s eyes.

 

“No, I was just admiring the pretty scenery out there.” Gahyeon retorted as she hoped that she wouldn’t be teased by Handong again. Handong grasped onto Gahyeon’s hand and pulled it away from her eyes to look at the sky.

 

“Gahyeon…” Handong said to her best friend while Gahyeon knew from her tone she was already busted. “How is the weather so nice that it looks like it’s going to rain?” She teased while Gahyeon whipped her head to the outside and saw the weather. She panicked as she didn’t want her baby to catch a cold. She raced to the window and opened it as she yelled out to Dami.

 

“Hurry! Get inside the school! It’s going to rain out and I don’t want to go a day without seeing you in the halls because of this dumb weather!” Everyone looked at her while Handong dropped her jaw at Gahyeon’s actions. Once, Gahyeon realized what she had done she looked at Dami who was looking at her with an unreadable expression. Heat crept onto her face as she quickly lowered herself to save her from the embarrassment she had shown in front of her. Handong had a smile plastered onto her face as she looked at her best friend and her subject of love.

 

“You might as well profess your love if you are going to do that.” She laughed at Gahyeon’s tomato face.

 

“I can't face her anymore.” Gahyeon brought her knees up and buried her face in it. Handong knelt down as well as she started patting her best friends back.

 

Couple days later…

 

“You know, it’s not that hard to talk to someone,” Handong stated out of nowhere as she and Gahyeon were walking aimlessly around the school for lunch. Gahyeon only blushed at that fact until she noticed the girl who was with Dami the other day with a redhead who was to close to her. “Gahyeon are you listening to me?” Handong questioned until she followed Gahyeon’s line of sight. “Oh.” Was all she said as she noticed Gahyeon began glaring daggers at the poor girl who didn’t seem fazed by the unwanted attention. Handong only laughed as she recalled something and began pulling Gahyeon away.

 

“Hey, what was that for?” Gahyeon pouted as she really wanted to get a good look at the two overly close friends. She wanted to see if Dami’s girlfriend was cheating on her.

 

“You do realize that no matter how long you are going to be giving her the death glare, lasers aren’t going to be shooting out of your eyes anytime soon right?” Gahyeon started glaring at Handong for her remark. “It’s not going to work on me either.” She huffed out as Gahyeon growled in frustration.

 

“You’re not helpful at all,” Gahyeon whined as she recalled Dami being super intimate with the girl in the courtyard. She pouted until she spotted a certain dirty blonde that made her hide behind Handong.

 

“What are you-”

 

“Shh.” Gahyeon interrupted as she watched Dami walk passed them. She felt her heart pounding against her chest as her eyes instinctively followed Dami’s trail.

 

“Dami!” Someone shouted making Gahyeon and Handong jump in surprise as they whipped their heads to the source of origin that the shout came from. “I need to talk to you,” Sua shouted as she passed by the two before trying to cling onto Dami. Though Dami dodged the girl as much as she could until she could no longer have the energy to do anything anymore. “Did you find your angel yet?” She said really loudly enough for Gahyeon to hear.

 

“No… not yet.” Dami sighed which made Gahyeon’s heart cry out. My poor baby is sad. I want to hug her and tell her that everything’s alright. “I just want to tell her thank you and… stuff.” Dami started blushing while Sua smiled at how cute Dami was being even though she didn’t show enough emotion she knew that Dami was getting shy.

 

“You have her umbrella. Why don’t you just report it asking who is missing an umbrella?” Sua said as she laced her arm’s around Dami’s waist. Gahyeon gritted her teeth at the sight of the two knowing that she’ll never have the chance to have Dami. She turned around to leave but Handong held her in place.

 

“I want to find her by myself. I don’t need someone else’s help at all.” Dami said in a monotone voice but it was enough to get Sua off of her.

 

“You do realize she is closer to you than you imagined right?” Sua said as she looked over to where the other girls were before looking back at Dami.

 

“What?” Dami questioned while Sua also looked confused.

 

“What?”

 

“You said that she’s closer to me than I think,” Dami repeated and Sua only nodded as she looked over at the girls again but Dami didn’t get it at all. “I swear you really don’t want to find this girl if you haven’t seen all the hints already.” Sua exasperated. “She’s right over there.” She pointed at Gahyeon who froze in her spot while Handong smiled at the whole scene going down. Dami turned her head to Gahyeon and had to take a step back. “Dami, I love you and all, but I don’t actually want to become your real mom and try to solve your love problems.” Sua pinched the bridge of her nose before sighing once again.

 

“Y-you’re… kidding me, right?” Dami stuttered out in disbelief while Sua placed a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Sorry darling, this time I’m not.” She said as she winked at Gahyeon and nodded at Handong who also nodded to her back. “Well, time for me to go. I have a date tonight with a wonderful, infectious smile, lovable girlfriend.” With that, she ran off to who knows where.

 

Gahyeon looked at Handong shocked as she basically been forced to talk to her crush.

 

“You knew that girl?!” She couldn’t wrap her head around the fact that her best friend and her crush’s girlfriend were confabulating.

 

“I’m going to tell you this one and only once. One, I told you I have a neighbor in university that’s been helping me with my Korean while I teach her Chinese. Two, no she is not in a relationship with Dami because she is already taken by someone else and three you guys are meant to be for each other so why not have that little push to a new ship.” Handong winked before calling out to Dami. “Your savior is over here.” She began dragging Gahyeon towards Dami, once they were face to face Gahyeon covered her eyes from the beauty before her.

 

“Are you the one who sheltered me from the rain?” Dami said in a low tone as it sent tingles towards Gahyeon’s spine making her shiver. She only nodded as her face was heating up from all the nervousness and embarrassment. “Are you also the one who’s been giving me those post-it notes in my locker to make my day?” Dami started listing as she kept all the little notes her mystery savior wrote for her. Gahyeon shrunk down from her position as she couldn’t be any more embarrassed about her actions. “Are you also the one who wrote me a letter appreciating my appearance despite what everyone says?” Gahyeon widened her eyes and looked right at Dami and then to Handong who only smiled giving her the indication that she may have taken one of Gahyeon’s daily unsent letters to Dami. Each one was filled with her admiration and longing for the girl but out of every single one she chose her very first letter.

 

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean for you to read it. I wanted to keep it personal and hopefully not creep you off.” Gahyeon tried making excuses but it only made Dami stiffen a laugh.

 

“It’s quite alright. I enjoyed your letter just that… I don’t think I can reciprocate your feelings for me.” Dami said as she watched her little angel’s face fall. She felt guilty for putting that face on her but knowing her tainted self she didn’t want to defile such an innocent being.

 

“I… I don’t mind waiting for you. I will spend every waking morning letting you know about my love for you. I would spend each night hoping that you would have a great day. I would make sure you are happy with my weird self and if it makes you laugh it’s a bonus.” Gahyeon retorted as her sudden confidence made Dami freeze before smirking.

 

“I guess we’ll see what happens to us from now on.” She said before writing her name and number down onto a piece of paper. When she gave the paper to Gahyeon she added. “I would appreciate if you don’t stop sending me the post-it notes.” She whispered right by Gahyeon’s ear and left to her next class.