To: C

to the boys i've loved before

The person I treated carelessly and took for granted to be there. Our first impressions of each other was... y. You said that I was too aggressive to be a girl and I shouted back that maybe it was time for you to man up. 

Somehow, we started texting each other daily, as if those hours in school were not enough. You asked me about my day and I asked you about yours. You took the initiative to text me 'good morning' and 'good night' and I thought nothing of it. Maybe it was just the way you are, and that you texted that to everyone you knew.

On my birthday, you asked me what I wanted. A cake? Balloons? I smiled and told you a letter would do just fine. You wrote me one. The letter was carefully folded and slotted into one of those free hotel envelope. You drew a pizza at the top corner. I laughed. You scratched the back of your head sheepishly and told me not to as it was your first time writing something like it. You told me to read it only when I got home, because you were shy. 

When I fell sick, you accompanied me while I ate and took the train back with me, making sure I was safe though you lived far away. You offered to carry my bag for me, though you had your hands full of your water bottle and plastic file. You placed the back of your hand on my forehead, checking my temperature, and like always, I joked that I was hot enough. You rolled your eyes as the end of your lips lifted to form a smile. I love how comfortable I was around you, how ready I was to share everything should you ask.

I found myself being more dependent on you. I liked your company and how you made me laugh so easily. I liked how I could trust you to be there and provide a listening ear. 

However, somehow, we started to drift apart. We started to get more quiet around each other, and apart from the occasional hellos and nods, there was nothing else. I had hoped to reconnect with you, but you had your eyes focused on someone else.

That's when I knew, I had lost you.