The Gathering ― Assembly of the Destined

Princesses of the Crimson Star

In the university's infirmary, Mina watched over Sana as she slept.

 


After last night's incident, Mina carried an unconscious Sana to the infirmary with the help of Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. After a thorough examination from the nurse, it was a relief hearing Sana was only weak due to fatigue and had a few scratch marks with no diagnosis involving anything life threatening. Regardless, Mina refused to leave Sana's side until her sister woke up to hear it from Sana herself that she was feeling alright.

 


She didn't want to risk losing Sana.

 


Not again.

 


"Mmm…"

 


Mina shot up from her chair and stood by the bed. "Sattang?"

 


Sana slowly opened her eyes , her vision focusing, to see Mina gazing down at her.

 


"Mitang," Sana whispered in a raspy voice. "Where… Where am I?"

 


"You're in the university infirmary. You didn't text me when you return from the dorm so I went out to look for you… I found you passed out on the ground," Mina answered softly as she lied. She gingerly took one of Sana's hands and enveloped it in her own. Her heart ached seeing how pale Sana looked.

 


"I passed out?" Sana murmured to herself. She bit her bottom lip. "I… I'm sorry. You must have been worried sick…"

 


Mina fervently shook her head. "You have nothing to be sorry about. What matters is that you get all the rest that you can so you'll be back on your feet!" Mina gave her sister a reassuring smile then reached over to move a few strands of hair away from Sana's face.

 


"Thank you, Mina. You never fail to look out for me," Sana weakly offered a smile back. "I wish I could recall when I started feeling faint… My memory is really fuzzy."

 


"What do you remember from last night?" Mina pressed with slight hesitation. Images from last night's battle flooded Mina's mind and she was not prepared to make any explanation if Sana remembered what happened. She wouldn't have been able answer anyway. Mina had questions herself.

 


Sana closed her eyes, quietly contemplating to herself. After awhile, she shook her head in defeat. "I only remember heading back to the dorm after class was finished. Then I heard rustling in the trees… so many eyes staring at me… and then… nothing. I'm sorry I can't remember anything helpful."

 


Mina was relieved that Sana's memory was foggy. It made things easier. "Don't be sorry. It doesn't matter," she assured her sister. "What you should be focusing on is resting and getting better."

 


"Okay," Sana nodded with a smile. "But, please. You can go now, Mina. You don't have to watch over me anymore than you already have."

 


"But-"

 


"I won't be able to relax with you fretting over me. Shoo shoo! Let me sleep!" Sana waved Mina off with her hands, her laughter feeling the air. It was a beautiful sound to hear, and though it was with reluctance, she relented to Sana's wishes.

 


"Okay, fine. You better not go anywhere until the nurse gives you the clear. I'll hunt you down if you do!" Mina playfully threatened with her hands on her hips, as if she was a mother scolding her child.

 


"Yes, ma'am. I promise!"

 


They exchanged another fit of laughter before Mina leaned over to place a kiss on top of Sana's head. She waved one last time to Sana at the door and left the infirmary to give her sister space for privacy and rest.

 


What Mina wasn't expecting when she left the infirmary was Chaeyoung and Tzuyu waiting for her outside.

 


"You're coming with us," Chaeyoung commanded flatly. "We've been summoned."

 


"Summoned?" Mina gave her a puzzled look. "By who?"

 


"The headmaster of Haneul University."

 


~~~

 


Mina meekly followed behind Chaeyoung and Tzuyu as the three of them made their way to the main administration building that was located in the center of the campus. It was where orientation and graduation ceremonies took place on the ground floor, while the buildings remaining floors were strictly for university staff or students that had permission.

 


Chaeyoung walked up to the security desk by the elevator. It was an elevator with glass doors and no directional buttons on the side. Mina guessed it was operated by the guard.

 


"We have an appointment with the headmaster," Chaeyoung announced curtly.

 


The security guard, a middle-aged man who appeared to be in his 50's, looked up from the book he was reading. "I'm going to need to see all of your IDs."  Mina handed over her student ID card with Chaeyoung's and Tzuyus. The guard swiped their IDs on his computer's laptop, the loud clacking sound of the keyboard filling the heavy silence that hung over them. Once finished, the guard grunted and handed back their IDs, and opened the elevator. "Permission granted. Step inside and I'll direct the elevator to the headmaster's office."

 


Mina and Tzuyu bowed to the guard while Chaeyoung wasted no time getting onto the elevator. Although she could see through the glass elevator doors, standing in this particular elevator made Mina nervous. The anxiety only rose when the doors closed in on them and they began their ascent. Mina surmised to herself it was because the headmaster of the university wanted to talk to her for some reason. She wondered if Chaeyoung or Tzuyu had any idea why the headmaster would want to see them, but she still wasn't comfortable around them to speak casually, not saying a single word to them the entire elevator ride. Prior to last night, she hardly interacted with her roommates to begin with.

 


When they arrived at their designated floor, they were surprised by the décor. The floor consisted of a single, long hallway with a crimson red carpet that lead to two double wooden doors at the end of the hallway. Several chandeliers were lined up across the ceiling to light up their path and the walls were adorned with large paintings that were styled from the European Renaissance and tapestries that were woven from a completely different era. It was a stark contrast from the rest of the building with it's more modern interior.

 


The three of them stared silently at the door handles in front of them. Even Chaeyoung, the one among the three of them who had a far more extroverted and hotheaded personality, appeared to be nervous. The hesitation didn't last long, however. Chaeyoung muttered a curse word under her breath and pushed the doors open.

 


The next room surprised them once more. It was large and spacious, but it had the appearance of a bedroom and an office all in one.

 


And on the other side of the double doors was a woman in a wheelchair and another woman holding the wheelchair by the handle bars.

 


"Son Chaeyoung. Chou Tzuyu. Minatozaki Mina," the woman in the wheelchair called them in a soft, delicate voice with a smile. "Welcome to my office. My name is Jung Sooyeon. I am the headmaster of the university. The one behind me is Irene, my caretaker."

 


"You're the headmaster?" Mina asked, shocked.

 


Sooyeon tilted her head to one side. "Are you surprised because you can see my condition?" Mina's guilty expression was the only answer she needed. Sooyeon explained, "I'm not offended. Your reaction is normal. I'm paralyzed from the waist down. The only reason why I'm in this position to begin with was because my grandfather was the previous headmaster was my grandfather. Since my father is estranged and my mother passed away when I was young, my grandfather deemed me as his successor in his will before he died. I thought the Board of Trustees would complain given my paralysis, but they were supportive because they trusted my grandfather enough to support his decision. And so, here I am." Sooyeon paused and looked carefully at each of them. "I can tell you all have questions. Please, have a seat at the table over here. We can talk over tea and cookies. Irene is a lovely baker."

 


Mina watched as Chaeyoung took the lead, her face stiff and stern, while Tzuyu beside her looked as expressionless as she usually does. She felt her stomach do flips but followed right behind them and took the seat to the left at the table while Chaeyoung sat in the middle chair and Tzuyu seated herself to the far right. In front of them were small porcelain saucers with matching teacups and a large tray with an abundance of bite-sized sprinkled sugar cookies. Irene positioned Sooyeon directly across from them and began pouring tea in all their cups.

 


"Please, don't be shy. Feel free to eat as many as you'd like," Sooyeon insisted while gesturing to the plate of cookies.

 


"T-Thank you," Mina said and reached to grab a cookie, taking a small nibble. Tzuyu didn't take a cookie but took a careful sip of the tea, humming in approval.

 


However, Chaeyoung wasn't interested in dawdling and cut straight in. "Why did you call us? It can't be a coincidence that you wanted all three of us to be here. We're all transfer students among hundreds who so happen to share a dorm room together." Sooyeon stayed silent but met Chaeyoung's glare with an even gaze. Chaeyoung narrowed her eyes. "You know what we are, don't you?"

 


Sooyeon exhaled softly then nodded. "Yes."

 


"Some white-haired douchebag called us 'Princesses'. What is that about?" Chaeyoung pressed.

 


"Douchebag? Now, that's rude."

 


Everyone's head turned to the door and watched as BamBam walked inside with his hands casually tucked into the pockets of slacks, the Lord of the Flies tucked under his armpit as usual.

 


"Great. Now you're here," Chaeyoung growled.

 


"Now now, feisty Princess. I'm here to aid in shedding light on questions you and the other two have," BamBam replied back with a smile. He walked over and stood on the other side of Sooyeon, giving the headmaster a look. "Would you like to start or shall I?"

 


"I will since I was going to anyway before you arrived," Sooyeon answered, giving a pointed look at BamBam, and exhaled again, eyes moving from each girl across from her. "You three have a strange marking on you that you've had since you were born, correct?" The three students nod almost simultaneously. "That marking is proof you are a Princess."

 


"Why are we called Princesses just because we bear this mark?" Mina asked.

 


"We don't know how long ago, but according to an ancient manuscript, every hundred years, a red star appears from outside the solar system and slowly approaches the earth, bringing calamity in the form of monsters called Orphans. The year the red star, the Crimson Star, enters our solar system, nine girls will be born and bear the mark of the star. These girls will become protectors of the earth, able to summon their own creatures called Childs to fight against the Orphans. You girls with the ability to summon Childs are called Princesses, and with your weapons called Elements, you fight alongside your Child,” Sooyeon explained.

 


“What is this? A shounen anime from Japan?” Chaeyoung snorted in contempt. “An ancient manuscript? Where is this supposed manuscript anyway? I’d like to see this for myself.”

 


“I’m sorry but the manuscript is not here. It resides in a vault deep underground where the United Nations congregate,” Sooyeon answered with sullen gaze.

 


“The United Nations? Wait, other countries know about this?!” Chaeyoung sputtered in disbelief.

 


BamBam chuckled. “Of course. A matter where the world is at stake shouldn’t be kept in secrecy. This is something nations have been fighting against for years. But it’s a secret to the public and those individuals who are aware of the invasion are sworn to secrecy.”

 


“Having the public know about the existence of Orphans would bring panic. And would endanger you all: the Princesses,” Sooyeon added.

 


"As you now know, this isn't the first instance that our world has been attacked," BamBam stepped into the conversation. His typical impish nature was gone and replaced with a grim seriousness Mina wasn't accustomed to seeing. "Not all Princesses of the past took well to being chosen. Not everyone chosen has the mindset to protect the world, especially when they never asked to be chosen. Previous records have stated some ran away and never chose to awaken as Princesses, ignoring the call. In very few cases… some even took their own life because they were mentally affected from hearing the call to awaken over and over. They didn't want to accept that responsibility"

 


Mina, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu speechless. Bambam ran his hand through his silvery white hair and continued.

 


"Thing is, despite those Princesses deciding to run away and refuse to fight, they were still attacked. Whether you choose to accept your awakening or not, you are still marked by the Star. Thus, Orphans still sought them and attacked them. Orphans may be mindless creatures but they are aware that the Princesses are the biggest the threat and will eliminate that threat when they can," BamBam stated seriously.

 


"That is why you have all gathered here: all nine of you," Sooyeon said, bouncing off from BamBam. "The moment you were born and discovered you were marked, the world had to prepare for when you become of age to awaken. One way or another, we had to gather you all in one place."

 


Tzuyu spoke up for the first time. "There are… nine of us?"

 


"And you knew what we are before we even had the slightest idea?" Chaeyoung spat angrily. She stood up from her chair and slammed her hands onto the table. "So it was all planned out that you'd collect us all together and dump us onto this island?!"

 


"That's one way of putting it, yeah," BamBam answered with a shrug. Although it was subtle, he smirked at Chaeyoung. "As Sooyeon stated, you all would have ended up here on Byeongsu Island through one circumstance or another."

 


Chaeyoung's eyes widened for a split second then audibly growled at BamBam.

 


"Why did you need to gather us all here of all places?" Mina questioned. "I don't understand…"

 


"Byeongsu Island is located far away from the main lands of several countries. We cannot predict how strong Orphans are so we need to keep all the Princesses together some place away from the public," Sooyeon answered.

 


"Yet you're willing to endanger the lives of everyone on this island," Chaeyoung shot back.

 


Sooyeon stiffened at Chaeyoung's words. She felt Irene place her hands on her shoulders to comfort her, helping Sooyeon to regain her composure. "It wasn't an easy decision… It was very complicated. Amongst those who know about the incoming Star and the calamity it would bring, as well as how previous Princesses reacted to their destiny, the decision was made to gather you all onto the island this way, unaware of what the big picture is. One outcome we can't allow is having one of you run away and we cannot locate you. Your existence without any supervision would endanger the public. Would you all really want that to happen?"

 


"But still..! To trick us…" Mina protested, gripping the hems of her shirt. "Now that I think about it, the opportunity for a scholarship to one of the most prestigious schools in the world seemed too incredible to be true…"

 


Chaeyoung caught on to what Mina was saying and glared at the headmaster. "So that's why the school opened its doors so suddenly…!”

 


“It’s too much to ask that you understand how dire this situation is, but you must know the fate of the world rests on your shoulders, and that me and the Council, a group that I am a part of that’s been preparing for the Star’s arrival for all these years, want to prevent as many casualties as possible.”

 


Sooyeon paused again and took a deep breath before she gazed at the girls with a solemn look in her eyes.

 


“Even if that means the sacrifice of a few individuals to save the world.”

 


~~~

 


Mina, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu were escorted out of the building by BamBam. No words were exchanged between anyone from the headmaster's quarters, the entirety of the elevator ride, and the way outside through the automatic sliding front doors.  Mina couldn't blame her roommates. What they discovered was a lot to take it, and if Mina didn't witness those monstrous Orphans from last night and summon her own Child, she would have scoffed at everything she learned.

 


But she couldn't deny anything, and she would be foolish for even trying.

 


Mina side-glanced at BamBam. He already had an air of mystery surrounding him upon their first encounter but knowing his involvement in all of this made him even more perplexing. She didn't have a sliver of an idea of what was possibly going through his head, only that she was more wary of him. Chaeyoung already didn't like him which meant there was a good reason for that.

 


"Since you three had class during this time, the headmaster will be sending your professors emails to excuse your absence," BamBam explained.

 


"What's even the point of us attending class if it's clear we're only meant to be your fighting machines?" Chaeyoung snapped irritably.

 


"What you do on this island is ultimately up to you," BamBam replied with a shrug of the shoulders. "We can tell you that it's best to act like normal university students to avoid attracting unwanted attention but we can't force you. The only thing we will enforce is stopping you from leaving the island. That's crucial in protecting the rest of the world."

 


"The headmaster said there are nine of us in total," Tzuyu spoke up. "Do you know who they are?"

 


"Of course. However, not all of them have awakened as Princesses yet nor have heard the calling of their Child," BamBam said while his chin thoughtfully. "We leave them alone until they hear the call to awaken to explain what's happening to them, just as the headmaster and I have explained to you three."

 


"And what about the others that have awakened?" Mina pressed.

 


"Let's just say that… they prefer to keep to themselves," was BamBam's cryptic answer. "At the very least, the ones that have awakened haven't made any attempt to leave the island so we don't bother them."

 


Chaeyoung's brow knitted tightly together and she bit down hard on the nail of her thumb. Then she shot a glare at BamBam. "For the record, I still don't trust you or whatever organization you're working for that lies in the shadows."

 


"That is fine, Princess. Considering the strings that had to be pulled and the lies we used to get you all onto this island, I'm not surprised. Asking for your trust is too much," BamBam smiled, which only aggravated Chaeyoung further but the small woman said nothing more. Sensing that Chaeyoung had nothing more to say, BamBam flashed his smile to Mina and Tzuyu and bowed with one arm pressed to his stomach and the other stretching behind him as he dipped forward. "Please enjoy the rest of your day, Princesses."

 


Mina clenched a fist watching BamBam turn his back to them, ready to re-enter the administration building, then summoned the courage to stop him. "W-Wait!" BamBam stopped and looked over his shoulder at Mina with a puzzled expression. "What if those Orphans appear again? What should we do?"

 


BamBam blinked slowly as he turned to completely face her.

 


"That should be obvious. You fight."

 


~~~

 


"I'm just saying that we should finally start planting flowers by the new theater building! It's so barren in the area! Daffodils or narcissus flowers would really give the building some color and life!  Why do we have to pick up litter around the dorms again?!"

 


"Because for the millionth time, we won't be getting more funds to order more seeds and fertilizer until next month! Besides, have you seen how dirty it is by the dorms? You can't tell me that doesn't bother you."

 


"Nayeon, you never listen to my ideas!"

 


"That's because you never listen to my reasons why your ideas for the committee aren't doable, Seungwan."

 


"DON'T CALL ME THAT."

 


Mina watched the president and the vice-president of the Beautification Committee go at each other's throats. It was her first time attending a meeting and she was a little scared at the intensity of their argument.

 


Looking at the other members around her, they remained unbothered by the aggressive bickering between Nayeon and Wendy. Mina guessed they were either used to it or it was a common occurrence.

 


Sitting at a table adjacent to where she was, two male members were diligently doing homework, undisturbed by the noise.

 


Jackson, captain of the university's fencing team majoring in kinesiology.

 


And Mark, a handsome psychology major who had the sharpest canines Mina has ever seen.

 


Both greeted her with smiles when she entered the classroom and made her feel welcome.

 


On Mina's direct right was a sleeping Jeongyeon, head face down on her closed laptop, quietly snoozing away. Meanwhile, on Mina's left was the committee's secretary, Seulgi. Seulgi was also kind when welcoming her but it was the first time she has ever met someone who spoke in a softer voice than she did.

 


Since Jeongyeon was knocked out, Mina leaned in towards Seulgi and whispered. "Are they always like this?" Mina motioned with her head towards Nayeon and Wendy, who were still arguing (about what, Mina wasn't sure anymore).

 


Seulgi gave a curt nod. "Yes, and Nayeon always wins in the end."

 


"Because she's the president?"

 


"Yes and no. Wendy eventually realizes that whatever she wants to implement on campus, is either something the committee can't do or we don't have the funds. Wendy tends to think about the future more about the present, which is why her ideas on what the beautification project of the week should be are never chosen." Seulgi paused to glance at Wendy then chuckled to herself. "You'd think Wendy would learn but she's stubborn."

 


Mina chuckled as well. "Seems like it's never a dull moment around here."

 


"It's a simple club with a simple goal but when we do engage in the weekly project, it's certainly fun and rewarding. No matter what the president decides on, everyone enjoys themselves. What made you decide to join?"

 


"Nayeon recruited me and my sister back at the fair showcasing all of the university's organizations and clubs."

 


"You have a sister?"

 


"Yes. Well, technically I'm her adoptive sister. Her family took me in."

 


"That's interesting," Seulgi mused. "Did she not want to join with you?" Mina's face noticeably fell and Seulgi quickly spoke up, frantic. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask something sensitive. Please ignore me…”

 


"No, it's okay. It's nothing serious," Mina reassured. "She definitely would have joined me today but she wasn't feeling well. She did say she'll come for the next meeting. She's excited to meet everyone—“ Mina was interrupted by the vibration of her phone in her pocket. She tugged the device out and saw she received a message from Chaeyoung.

 

 

 

 


Meet Tzuyu and I in the place where you awakened.

 


We need to discuss something with you.

 


— Chaeyoung

 

 

 

Mina made a face.

 


"Something wrong?" Seulgi asked, noticing the change in Mina's expression again.

 


"Yes… I have to go. I hope that's okay."

 


"It's alright. I've already marked you for being here. The meetings we have in the middle of the week are only for discussing the projects we'll be doing on Saturdays, though as you can see, it's really Nayeon and Wendy arguing. Everyone else either focuses on homework or simply relax."

 


Jeongyeon stirred slightly and groggily turned her head to look up at Mina. "You going already, Mina…?" she asked sleepily.

 


Mina laughed to herself and smiled. "Yes. I'm sorry. But I'll be here this Saturday."

 


Jeongyeon yawned loudly then buried her face back down into her arms. "Okay… Have a nice day…"

 


Seulgi sighed to Mina. "Her reliance on coffee to remain conscious through the day is really unhealthy."

 


Mina nodded in agreement then packed her belongings into her bag. "Thank you guys for having me."

 


"See you, Myoui," Jackson called.

 


"It was great meeting you, "Mark grinned.

 


Mina waved to everyone in the room (even to Nayeon and Wendy despite them still stuck in their own world) and headed for the door. Her hand hovered over the doorknob, but before she could, the door swung violently open. Mina unconsciously held her breath when she was faced to faced with the familiar blonde from before: Momo.

 


They were about the same height, Momo being a tad taller than Mina. Mina found herself staring deeply into Momo's dark chocolate brown eyes, noticing small details like how her skin looked smooth and soft to the touch and the fullness of her lips. Gazing at Momo's lips caused the memory of their first meeting to resurface in Mina's mind and she hoped to God she wasn't blushing.

 


"Hey." Momo snapped her fingers in front of Mina's face. "Are you going to move and let us through or not?"

 


The curt tone in her voice caught Mina off guard but she stepped aside. "Oh. Sorry…"

 


"Momo, don't be rude," Jihyo chided from behind Momo but Momo ignored her and forced her way passed Mina. She turned to Mina and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't mind her. I promise she's not normally like this."

 


"It's alright. I was in the way," Mina admitted. She watched as Momo walked over to the sleeping Jeongyeon and shook her awake to hand her a can of cold coffee to the short-haired girl, which Jeongyeon gratefully gave Momo a drowsy, one-armed hug. So she does have a soft side to her…

 


"Are you leaving already?" Jihyo asked.

 


"Mhm. I have to meet up with someone," Mina explained vaguely. "But I'll be here this Saturday for the committee project.

 


"Great! I'll see you then. Bye, Mina."

 


Mina returned the sentiment and stepped out of the classroom. She stopped momentarily to look back at Jihyo joining Momo and Jeongyeon. She noticed the way Momo's face broke out into a smile and laughed at something Jihyo was saying.

 


Mina pushed back and ignored the dejected feeling that was lodged in her chest and headed out to meet her roommates.

 


~~~

 


Sana sighed softly to herself.

 


After ultimately deciding to leave her room to get some fresh air, Sana began walking around aimlessly to explore the university grounds, ditching all her classes for the day to do so. Although, she was already excused to begin with since she technically still had one more day of rest before she was required to attend class again.

 


But Sana hated to be bedridden for too long and she hated to be alone even more.

 


It didn't help that she had never met her roommate before because whoever she was, never returned to the dorms until late at night when Sana would already be asleep. There was one instance Sana heard her roommate return to their shared room but it was very late and only heard her roommate rustling in the dark while preparing for bed. By the time Sana woke up the following morning, her roommate was already gone. Some people would probably like the thought of having an entire room to themselves, but Sana hoped she'd befriend her roommate and they'd do activities or study together.

 


Following a cobblestone path through one of the campus's many gardens, Sana found herself standing before a large chapel with three distinct pointed towers peaking from the top with beautiful stained glass windows of many colors decorating the outside. The chapel’s architecture was so vastly different from the rest of the modern buildings on campus, it was as if Sana went back in time and stood in another country. Curiosity got the  better of her and she pushed the double doors open.

 


A gentle piano melody echoed within the walls of the chapel and into Sana’s ears. It was almost hypnotic, leading Sana down the main aisle of the church. She was surrounded by pews to her left and right, the high walls and ceiling of the church made her feel small. But the calming sound of a piano eased her worries.

 


At the end of the aisle was an elevated platform meant for the preacher and choir. Off to the side to Sana's right was an elegant grand piano, the source of music that's filled her ears. In front of the keys sat a small girl with skin pale white. But Sana found the girl's complexion to be beautiful, and watching the girl play the piano so elegantly only drew her closer to the platform.

 


Her close proximity alerted the girl at the piano, causing her to cease playing and turned her attention to Sana.

 


"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Sana quickly apologized.

 


"It's alright. I wasn't aware I had an audience. The chapel is usually empty at this time," the pianist explained. "Are you looking for Pastor Siwon for a confessional? He's currently at a faculty meeting. He should be back in  an hour."

 


"I was exploring the campus and found this place. I'm a recent transfer to Haneul."

 


"Ah. I see. You picked a strange part of the campus to explore during your free time. Very few people visit the chapel. Not many hold faith for the Heavenly Father."

 


"I don't practice any form of religion but I believe there's something out there." Sana stepped closer and stood in front of the pew closest to the piano and its pianist. "You play beautifully by the way."

 


The girl's complexion made it easy for Sana to see the blush tinting her cheeks. "Thank you. I've been playing ever since I was very young." The pianist stood from the bench and descended down the platform. She stood in front of Sana and extended out her hand. "My name is Kim Dahyun. I'm the church choir's pianist. It's nice to meet you."

 


The name sounds familiar but Sana couldn't pinpoint why. "Minatozaki Sana. It's a pleasure to meet you as well," she said as she took Dahyun's hand into hers, giving it a gentle shake

 


"Minatozaki Sana…" Dahyun murmured more to herself, also looking perplexed.

 


Kim Dahyun. Sana said the name over and over to herself in hopes that it would jog her memory.

 


Then it clicked.

 


Sana's eyes widened at the pianist before you.

 


"Kim Dahyun. You're my roommate."

 


Dahyun met her gaze with equal shock.

 


"We're roommates," Dahyun said softly.

 


~~~

 


Mina navigated through the forest with somewhat alarming ease. The night of her awakening was still fresh in her mind. Somehow, she knew where to go to find the open area of the island's gigantic forest, though when she thought about it, it shouldn't have been surprising. Her Child, Homura, set parts of the area on fire when killing the mantis-like Orphan. All Mina had to do was follow charred branches and leaves, and the lingering smell of smoke.

 


When Mina found Tzuyu and Chaeyoung, they already had their Elements and Children beside them.

 


It made Mina uneasy.

 


"Why did you call me here?" Mina questioned.

 


"Tzuyu and I were talking and thought it was best you learn how to summon your Child and control it," Chaeyoung answered stepping forward with Haechi by her side. "Your Child is huge, especially compared to mine, and from what we can tell, you're a weak-willed girl. You hate confrontation. Can someone like yourself control such a destructive Child?"

 


Chaeyoung's words were like sharp needles that pricked Mina's skins, making her visibly flinch. She had never thought about it until now.

 


When Mina did not answer, Chaeyoung spoke up again. "Summon your Element. Summon your Child. Learn to control your powers and your Child. Tzuyu and I are hear to make sure you can."

 


"What if I can't?" Mina asked worriedly, panic rising within her.

 


"I don't think you want us to choose the alternative," was Tzuyu's answer.

 


Mina clutched her chest. She could feel the heat, the fire, burning hotter. A small ring of fire violently swirled around her feet and Mina started to panic even more, but then Chaeyoung shouted at her.

 


"Take deep breaths. Slow your breathing. You're not in any danger. Your Child has not emerged, yet it can already sense your distress. It feels what you feel."

 


"Control your emotions and you'll be able to control your Child," Tzuyu added.

 


Mina squeezed her eyes shut and attempted to calm herself. She was breathing so hard and her head was pounding. The heat was spreading from her chest to throughout her body, even to the tips of her fingers and toes. She was acutely aware of the presence surging inside her. She could hear it crying out, and though it was  a violent roar, it sounded almost sad.

 


Mina swallowed and took a deep breath.

 


The ring of fire at her feet dimmed into a thin stream that separated into four rings that moved to Mina's wrists and ankles, becoming her gold, magatama decorated Element. She spread out her arms and as her Element rotated around her limbs, she began to float gently off the ground.

 


The name came to Mina like a flash of lightning, whispering it so quiet, it was almost inaudible.

 


"Homura."

 


A giant sword emerged hilt first from Mina's chest and flew up in the air. Flames erupted from the blade that created the silhouette of the fiery Child before solidifying into the pristine white armored creature with emerald eyes. The sword was where it was before, lodged into Homura's jaw, but the Child was in no pain. Instead, the giant dragon hovered before Mina, staring down at her curiously.

 


With her power of flight, Mina flew closer and reached out to touch the top of Homura's head. It rumbled affectionately and pressed its muzzle further against Mina's palm.

 


In that instant, Mina was no longer afraid. Her fear was replaced by child-like wonderment and adoration for her Child.

 


Both Tzuyu and Chaeyoung gave her nods of approval when Mina hovered back down onto the ground in front of them.

 


"You understand now," Chaeyoung stated.

 


"I do," Mina nodded slowly. "I don't know how… but I do."

 


"That's all you need to know." Chaeyoung turned to her own Child and patted the side of Haechi's head. "And somehow, they understand too."

 


Mina smiled at the way the normally stoic Chaeyoung softened when she gazed at her child before shifting her gaze over to Tzuyu. "Where's your Child?"

 


Tzuyu lifted up her claymore. "Hēiyàoshí is both my Element and my Child. It's a sentient sword that enhances my speed and strength so long as I continue to wield it."

 


"That's how you were able to move so fast when you were fighting the Orphan," Mina comments in awe, recalling Tzuyu's swift form.

 


Three glowing eyes and markings lit up suddenly along Hēiyàoshí and began rattling in Tzuyu's grasp.

 


Haechi began to growl and bristle. Homura's jaws unhinged and barred its teeth, swerving its head side to side as if it was searching for something.

 


Chaeyoung gripped her tonfas. "Something's here."

 


Mina clenched her fist, already feeling her stomach drop. "An Orphan?"

 


"I do not see anything other than us," Tzuyu said uneasily.

 


A loud screech sounded in the air. An invisible force charged right into Haechi's right side, sending the armored tiger flying.

"HAECHI!" Chaeyoung cried, but within the next second, Chaeyoung was also knocked aside, letting out a loud grunt each time she rolled across the ground.

 


"CHAEYOUNG!" Mina screamed. She felt Tzuyu press her back to hers.

 


"Mina, calm down and focus," Tzuyu instructed as she lifted Hēiyàoshí and positioned herself into a battle stance. "We're dealing with an enemy we cannot see."

 


Though Mina listened to the Taiwanese beauty's words, Homura let out a pained cry as it received a hard blow across the head, wildly slashing the air with its claws. It hurt Mina's heart to see Homura in pain.

 


"How can we fight something we can't see?" Mina pressed frantically, eyes darting to wherever she could see.

 


Chaeyoung got back onto her feet and staggered over to Haechi's side. "Then we'll have to target our surroundings to get the piece of ."

 


Chaeyoung commanded Haechi to release a blast of electricity while using her double-sided tonfas to release large gusts of wind that sliced through the trees, aiming haphazardly. In a matter of seconds, more of the forest was laid to waste as trees crashed down and leaves flew up into the air. However, Chaeyoung and Haechi's efforts did not yield results.

 


"Chaeyoung, you must stop! You can't keep destroying the forest! You'll attract attention to us!" Tzuyu warned critically. She gritted her teeth and stabbed the tip of Hēiyàoshí into the ground, summoning large stone pillars from the ground to surround her in a medium-sized radius, avoiding further damage to the forest. Tzuyu took into account the Orphan could be flying in the air, but if it were, her pillars hit nothing. For a brief second, she felt the air around her shift and lifted Hēiyàoshí  from the ground and held the claymore upside down, turning her body northwest. Tzuyu's prediction turned out to be correct as another violent force rammed into the flat side of her blade, pushing her back.

 


When the Orphan failed to attack Tzuyu, it returned to relentlessly attacking Homura. The armored dragon roared in anger, opening its jaws to prepare a blast of fire from the depths of its throat.

 


"Homura, no!' Mina desperately cried out, fearing the unfocused fire blast would be too devastating with still so many trees and greenery around them. The magatama rings rotated rapidly and lifted Mina off the ground, flying over to Homura. Using her Element, she created a fiery barrier to protect her and her Child. Whatever the Orphan was, Mina was able to see where it relentlessly charged into the barrier. It focused on a single spot, weakening Mina's protection. Homura spat out small fireballs, passing through the shield, but none hit their target. Chaeyoung fired more wind blasts and Tzuyu jumped and slashed around where she saw the impacts against the barrier, but neither could hit the invisible foe.

 


We're never going to defeat the Orphan if we can't see it, Mina thought desperately.

 


Suddenly, they were all surrounded by floating robotic drones that were reminiscent of dandelion seeds. They released a shower of yellow spores in front of Mina's barrier. About a meter away, the spores fell atop of an invisible being. It let out a sharp shriek of pain.

 


Spotting an opportunity, Chaeyoung called out for her Child. "Haechi! Pin it down!"

 


Haechi growled in affirmation and jumped into the air. Just before Haechi was about to land, Chaeyoung used her tonfas to blow away the spores. When Haechi was successful in pinning down the Orphan, it let out a triumphant roar. Tzuyu followed up by dashing over and pierced her blade into an area she hope she would land a blow

 


Tzuyu's wish was answered as another screech filled the air that lasted for so long that all three girls had to cover their ears. Then the air went silent. Beneath Haechi's paws and Hēiyàoshí's tip laid the dead Orphan. It was a disfigured reptilian creature reminiscent of a chameleon with its two bulging eyes from the side of its head. Its claws were sharp and curled, and it was an unappealing color of purple mixed with green.

 


After a while, the Orphan turned completely grey and disintegrated into dust that was blow away by the wind.

 


Chaeyoung walked over and stood between Mina and Tzuyu. "Invisible ," she spat.

 


"What were those spore things in the air?" Mina questioned. "I'm grateful they appeared to help us identify where the Orpha was but.."

 


Abruptly, Tzuyu dashed two meters to her left and slashed down two trees. A feminine scream sounded and multiple vines shot out from the ground, wounding tightly around the body of the claymore. Tzuyu gripped Hēiyàoshí to keep it from being taken from her.

 


"Who's there?!" Chaeyoung shouted, lifting up her tonfas, prepared to fight again.

 


The area where the trees fell created a large cloud of dust. Whatever was still gripping Tzuyu, shown no signs of letting up. The dust eventually settled back down, and by squinting her eyes, Mina was able to recognize the figure she saw not too long ago.

 


"Kang Seulgi," Mina whispered the name.

 


"You know her?" Chaeyoung demanded.

 


"Yes. She's part of the Beautification Committee like I am."

 


"Please, put down your weapon! I'm not your enemy! I helped you defeat that creature!" Seulgi pleaded, more towards Tzuyu. "Those spores… they came from Diana!"

 


Mina wondered who Diana was, but the question was answered instantly when they could make out a armored plant-like creature in the ground with glowing yellow eyes, appearing to be the source of the vines that keep Hēiyàoshí. When Tzuyu loosened her grip, the vines retracted and stood around Seulgi, almost protectively.

 


"Wait, is that a Child?" Chaeyoung asked, shocked.

 


Seulgi hesitated with a pained expression, she rolled up the sleeve of her blazer on her left arm, and showed them the mark on her elbow they were all very familiar with.

 


The Mark of the Star.

 


"Yes… That's my Child, Diana. I'm one of you…" Seulgi murmured.