Peter Park

VAEX Entertainment [백스 엔터테인먼트]

My parents had wanted me to become a neurologist. Get a doctorates in an Ivy League. Get a high-paying job. That was their dream for me; it had always been their dream for me. I accepted this as a sort of reality. It wasn't because I agreed with their notions or anything. Rather, it was because I didn't care much. Become a doctor? Okay. Play piano and violin well? Okay. I always accepted the responsibilities handed to me without a second thought, a 'but', or a grimace. 

But when the man handed me a card on the streets I changed my mind. I suddenly found my passion. Preforming as an idol. The sound of it felt good on my lips. Something I wanted to do, finally. I accepted the card immediately.

I wasn't sure how my parents would react when I told them I was going to stay in Korea, but for some reason they gave almost now objection. They simply smiled and nodded.

"Do whatever you want, son." my mom had said.

"Yes. Have a rest." my dad had said.

The lack of protest from them was not because of their acceptance, I think. They were quite the opposite of accepting. However, I think that because my mother and father were recently trying to be more open-minded and started watching psychology videos. Most likely they thought that by allowing me to stay in Korea they were giving me a taste of independence that I would recoil from once I realized the hardships. However, I was not going to recoil.

Especially when I had just realized something I wanted to do with my future.

The audition went well, I believe. I sat in the corner of the waiting room. 13 other people sat in the room with me. Some of them had already went and were sitting straight up bobbing their knees. Others hadn't. They were mouthing words to songs or practicing in the perimeter of the room with earbuds in. 

As for me, I sat slouched with my headphones on. I didn't want to seem nervous. But really, I was.

I had no formal training, no sort of teacher for dancing nor singing. It was something I had done unconsciously as I grew up. Songs were a source of relaxation for me. When stressed out, my headphones and Spotify premium kept me from going under. As a child, I played both piano and violin. This also increased my appreciation for different types of music. 

Even so, an appreciation for music did not mean that my skills were satisfactory. If I were rejected by this very company that I auditioned for, I would know where my skills stood. VAEX was a new agency; I knew this at the very least. The scout told me that it was owned by the renowned Linda. The name meant nothing to me. 

I auditioned because I was scouted, to say the least. The only Korean entertainment agencies that I knew of were SM, YG, and JYP. They were the biggest and quite honestly, the only ones that I would consider joining. Not because I was confident that I could get in, but because I would only let myself join the best, or not join at all. There was no use in joining a less famous agency. It would only show that my skills are only mediocre in comparison to others. It wasn't a go-big-or-go-home complex, but a go-big-or-don't-go-home complex. 

The doors to the audition room opened wide, and a girl with curly dyed auburn hair walked out. As she stepped, her hair would bounce entrancingly. 

It wasn't her hair that had my attention, as much as her aura. It was interesting. Being able to walk this confidently, as if the people around you were not silently judging. She made me quite curious. It seemed that she unconsciously walked like a model, strutting her way to a chair... near me. 

"Excuse me," I said as she sat down, and slid my headphones to my neck. "I was wondering what you preformed for your audition?"

The girl gave a wide smile. "Hello. My name is Ly Dao, first of all." she stuck her hand out.

I took it. Albeit being quite taken aback by her overwhelming enthusiasm.

"Hi. My name is Peter. Park." I replied. 

Her eyes lit up at my name. "Oh! That sounds like Peter Parker! You know? Spiderman?" She gave a tiny laugh at this connection. 

"Yea.. I get that a lot." I let out a small smile. "So.. what did you preform?"

"Hm. Insistent are we?" Dao smiled. "I auditioned for acting."

She auditioned for acting? That was interesting. I hadn't known VAEX, despite being new, had already decided to focus on such a wide range of entertainment. 

"Acting, huh?" I gave a grunt and nodded. Satisfied, I turned back and leaned against my chair once again, sliding my headphones back on.

.

.

.

"The results will now be released. There were two passing contestants."

I slid my headphones off. Ly Dao, too, looked over and stood up at attention.

"Contestant one. Park, Peter. Contestant two. Ly, Dao." 

"Congratulations. Sorry to those who did not pass. Please realize that as a young agency, we cannot accomodate a large amount trainees yet. Do not be discouraged, and please still look kindly upon us. Come back and audition as many times as you like."