Yoon Aera

VAEX Entertainment [백스 엔터테인먼트]

Coming into the audition, I was so nervous. Linda wasn't there, but it was her company. She, the muse of expressive dancing, able to express her movements so clearly. To be able to be a part of her company, and one of the firsts to audition... It was such an experience.

So imagine my joy when she actually showed up! Actually, I'm not sure why. What happened exactly was that after I finished my preformance dancing to Believer and attempted to sing, the judges gave me a short interview. They asked me why and when I started dancing. I was surprised at their interest, because from what I'd heard, the judges didn't give auditioners the time of day except for their preformance. I guessed it was because they were still a new company.

I told them the truth, of course. I'd started dancing at a young age. My mother had been an avid fan of watching the Olympic gymnists. She liked their grace and quiet strength. I however was infatuated with ballet as little girls in elementary schools usually are. We both compromised and I started to take contemporary dance. It was a little disappointing for me; no pink tutus and cute, little ballerina shoes. But over time, the disappointment faded. Dancing became a favorite hobby; it was something I did everyday. Sometimes to forget my worries and destress, sometimes to prove something to myself. 

I think at some point, as my story continued, I mentioned Linda. At that point, their eyebrows rose. I knew that this entertainment belonged to Linda, of course, but since she wasn't at the judging, I had assumed she was busy doing other important things. Little did I know that she was watching from a hidden camera (while taking care of other important matters, they said). Apparently she had wanted to see the potential trainees, and gave the judges her valued input.

They told me that when I spoke about Linda, my eyes lit up. I wasn't surpised at that fact. Linda was probably my favorite dancer of all time. But when Linda walked through the very doors that I entered, my eyes nearly popped out of my sockets. 

Seeing her in the flesh and bone was truly unbelievable. Even if I'd walked out of the audition with a negative, I'd still feel honored and grateful. Well maybe a little disappointed. But grateful all the same.

The interviewer had said, "Linda has personally decided to come here to give you her message."

Linda walked over to me with an unreadable expression, and then, all of the sudden, she smiled. It was a small smile. One that only teased the edge of her cranberry red lips; but it was a smile nonetheless. A smile from a human being that I absolutely positively admired from the bottom of my heart.

She said at that moment, "Yoon Aera, I believe that you have potential to become an amazing dancer. Please take my invitation to be a part of my company."

It was a dream come true. That very moment.

I was so happy.

 

 

...

 

Yoon Aera