{ o n e } w h y ?

Pieces of You

Cameras flashed, obnoxiously bright, in the darkness of the early morning. On a balcony in a little apartment, two people stood, looking out into the world. One of them, the girl, turned to the other. “Jjong... what—what’s the meaning of this?”

The other bit his lip, wavering. “I—” He wasn’t sure what to say. It’s for the best. I’m doing this to protect you.  But was it? Would it?

He didn’t know, honestly. His eyes connected with hers, deep and full of confidence and hope. 

(Break it off, Jonghyun-sshi. It’s the best choice for both of you. So he tried. He was told he was shielding her. He told her he was shielding her. But who was he really shielding? Himself?

He wasn’t so sure anymore.)

They both knew, somehow, that this was the end.

He leaned towards her, his mind echoing the instructions he had been given two nights before. Lean out over the balcony. Make sure you’re in full view, too. Tell her you love her. Kiss her, then leave her... Kiss her, then leave her... Kiss her, then leave her... Over and over again... And he’d obeyed.

It was perfectly rehearsed. Perfectly planned out. He’d known they were coming; even yesterday, he’d known that at one in the morning, the paparazzi would arrive. Then he would have to play his part.

Yes, he’d obeyed. He’d followed his instructions. (What else could he do?)

But why?

She stared after him as he left. I have to take care of this, he’d said. I’ll come right back.

(He didn’t. But she rather expected that.)

She couldn’t go outside—the photographers and news reporters were beating down the door. But the news reports came out immediately, and with the news reports came comments from the fans: This jerk, how could she be dating our Jonghyun?... I hate her!... I’m so glad he dumped her... Serves her right... Such a b*tch...

In spite of it all, she wondered how she would move on.


I still remember the look on your face
Lit through the darkness at 1:58;
The words that you whispered for just us to know
You told me you loved me so why did you go
Away...
Away?


A/N: So here we have it: the first chapter! What do you all think? This is a memory (one of a series of memories, in fact) that Hyejin reminisces upon. Here, however, we have a more Jonghyun-oriented perspective, and you can read a little into his own thoughts about this separation. Jjong is quite a character, isn't he? He has different duties as a boyfriend and as an idol, and he has to battle continuously between them. He always has to choose; it's just that this particular choice was pretty much life-changing for him... and her. And that brings us to Hyejin. Not much of her character is shown here (yet), but we can tell that she's proud and confident and has her own mind. But above all, she trusts Jonghyun to do what he thinks is right. That's why his leaving her shatters her heart so much. Because she trusted him.

Until the next chapter! In the meantime, feel free to comment and subscribe~ Thank you!