Final

A Memory
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The grass was grey, the sky was grey, the signs were grey, everything was grey. His best friends eyes were grey, his best friends hair was grey, his own skin was grey. Everywhere he looked the world was grey.

No matter how often his friends told him the world was filled with colours and that he would one day see them he highly doubted it.

His soulmate was late, way too late. All his friends met their soulmate by the age of 15 and here he was, almost 18 still waiting. He had of course talked to his mum who had told him some soulmates were just late, but still he was worried something was wrong with him.

“Jaemin, I swear… if you’re thinking about your soulmate again I’ll kick you.” Donghyuck, his best friend, came running up to him, his own soulmate right behind him.

“Do you know how boring a grey world is?” Both Donghyuck and his soulmate sighed as they sat down beside Jaemin on the bench.

“It won’t get any colour anytime soon if you don’t meet new people.” Jaemin had heard this speech a thousand times and he knew Donghyuck was right. He had to actually look at people to be able to meet his soulmate, but it was always so awkward.

“Can’t they just find me?” The two other boys shook their heads at him as small giggles escaped their lips.

“You have to make eye contact. Now come on. Let’s do something else.” A wave of relief went through Jaemin as his friends stood up, he had gotten tired of sitting on the same bench in the park for over an hour watching them play basketball.

“I want something to drink.” His friends nodded.
“We can go to the convenience store just outside the park.” Yukhei pointed towards one of the many exits of the park. Jaemin walking towards it before the taller could even put his arm back down.

Again the dull grey bothered Jaemin. He had a feeling he would have been happier with colours around him. By the way Donghyuck and Yukhei had told him about all the colours around him he knew they would be beautiful.

A small flutter of butterflies went off in Jaemin’s stomach as he imagined seeing his soulmate for the first time, seeing the colours around him, feeling the same happiness he saw in Donghyuck and Yukhei everyday.

He headed straight for the soda section, picking out a sprite (because cola ) and heading straight for the cash register. Ignoring his friends who first stepped into the store as Jaemin pulled out his wallet.

“That will be…” the rest of the sentence was lost as Jaemin looked up. Warm brown eyes meeting his, the whole world bursting into colour, but all Jaemin could focus on was the brown eyes.

He could see every detail of his eyes, he could see the specs of gold, the areas the brown was lighter or darker. For once his chest felt completely filled. A grin spread across his lips as the boy in front of him opened his mouth.

“I’m Jeno… I think we are soulmates.” A giggle escaped Jaemin’s mouth as he looked at Jeno.

“You think? The whole world getting coloured in is a pretty big sign in my book.” Jeno laughed as he took the money from Jaemin out of pure habit.

“True…” Silence filled the room as Jeno handed Jaemin back his change.

“I’m Jaemin by the way.” Jeno flashed Jaemin a smile, making his heart speed up purely from the way his cheeks were slightly pink.

“Nice to meet you Jaemin.” He had always wondered how meeting your soulmate would feel. He had always wondered how somebody could fall for a person purely from eye contact once, but now that he’s looking into Jeno’s eyes he understood.

His heart was full, his entire being felt calm and perfect.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter