Beep, Beep

Princess Charming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
06 BEEP, BEEP    

 

“Why is she chewing so hard?”

 

“And slurping so loud?”

 

“Maybe she’s hungry?”

 

“So hungry that she’s double killing her food? Does she know that that squid is already dead?”

 

“She likes killing things. She's a murderer."

 

“Tzuyu! what the hell?”

 

 

Aish, really. I shot the four blabbermouths a dagger look, “You guys are aware I can hear you talking about me?”

 

The four blabbermouths – being Jihyo, Chaeyoung, Dahyun and Tzuyu – all looked at me warily. I sighed in exasperation and ignored them, turning my attention back to the squished calamari at my plate. We were all having lunch at a nearby restaurant and I couldn’t be more… annoyed. Not because of the restaurant. Not because of the company. But because of the absence of a certain individual who is probably busy flirting with a geezer.

 

 

“Omo she can hear us.” Chaeyoung sneered behind Tzuyu, who in turn just stifled a smile. “Scary.” She said in a toddler voice that made it sound like scawy.

 

Park Jihyo chuckled under her breath then turned to me, “Why are you so… I wanna say ‘mad’?”

 

I rolled my eyes, “had a bad weekend. And a bad morning.”

 

Bad was a subtle way to put it. First of all, I had to spend my entire Sunday alone because Mina’s out of the town and some idiot wouldn’t reply to my messages. I understand she’s on a date bla bla but would it hurt to reply??? I mean, not even a dot??? How dare she?????

 

So, I decided to invite Momo and Sana to hang out at the apartment instead. Turns out, they were invited (actually only Sana since she’s somewhat of a celebrity – Momo tagged along) at an opening of an elite nightclub somewhere in Gangnam.

 

“You can come but you have to bring Dahyun. No Dahyun, no entry.” Said a tipsy Momo(I’m guessing) on the phone.

 

And there was no way I’m bringing a pure innocent tofu into a lion’s den.

 

So I watched this new release on Netflix instead which of course turned out to be a horror/thriller movie. I’m not really a scaredy cat but I was alone in the apartment and I had no one to talk to since I was mad at Jeongyeon. And Jihyo wasn’t replying either. I know, I should make more friends.

 

In short, I couldn’t sleep a wink last night.

 

Which brings me today. I was being all kinds of cranky this morning when I got to work. You’d think my string of bad luck would’ve ended at midnight but noooooooo-- the moment I stepped in the building, I saw Jeongyeon.

 

I was mad at her alright, but being the kindhearted person that I am, I decided to forgive her. Almost.

I was about to call her when someone appeared out of nowhere to chat with her. Of course, that someone would be none other than Asst. Director Kyunghoon.

 

SO. I turned the other way and went straight to the elevator instead. People were already swarming in and to my luck, I was pushed on the corner, roughly. And my day is just starting. ing great. I was hoping to spend the elevator ride in peace but of course, my luck wouldn’t just let me because as soon as the elevator doors closed down, two girls started whispering in front of me.

 

 

Gossip girl #1: “Did you see it? I told you Jeongyeon unnie and Asst. Director Kyunghoon are dating.”

 

Gossip girl #2: “Isn’t he leaving Chou Glamour? I heard he resigned.”

 

Gossip girl #1: “Exactly. I think its because of the no-dating within the company policy. So they could date freely.”

 

Gossip girl #2: “So are they serious? Gosh that is so sweet!”

 

 

I might’ve stepped on gossip girl #1’s foot and pushed gossip girl #2 on my way out. Unintentionally.

 

 

 

 

 

So yeah, there was a reason why I was chewing so hard. and slurping my drink so loud.

 

My thoughts came to a halt with the sound of chimes at the door.

That’s when I saw the blonde-haired-secretive-idiot walking towards us with that stupid grin on her face. I immediately put on a scowl and turned my head the other way.

 

“Hey guys.” She greeted cheerfully. “Hey, Xylitol-unnie.” She said and poked my cheek.

 

I ignored her and rolled my eyes.

 

“Oooh, someone’s in a bad mood.”

 

“Yeah.” Chaeyoung answered, “Said she had a bad weekend.”

 

“Bad weekend?” Jeongyeon exclaimed as she took the seat next to me, “Yah, you were with me till yesterday! How was that a bad weekend? I had been the most gracious host to ever exist.”

 

I suddenly felt like defending myself because she’s far from what she’s claiming to be, “Yeah, until you decided to kick me out.” And ignore my messages. I wanted to add.

 

“Wait, you were together till yesterday?” Jihyo asked Jeongyeon, who was busy trying out Chaeyoung’s drink.

 

“Yes, we slept together.” I answered for her.

 

 

Jeongyeon suddenly choked, coughing out the drink aggressively.

Jihyo covered .

Dahyun’s eyes widened.

Chaeyoung giggled (?).

And Tzuyu… sipped her drink.

 

“What?”

 

Jeongyeon was red all of a sudden, “Yah!”

 

I raised my eyebrows. “What? We really did sleep together.”

 

“You… You slept together?” A scandalized Dahyun repeated my words and as soon as she did, I realized what I just said.

 

Oh my god, it sounded so wrong.

 

“YAH! I meant I stayed at her place!” I said a little too defensively, “I slept at her place okay! We did nothing.”

 

All four of them plus a red as a tomato Jeongyeon looked at me.

 

“I wasn’t thinking like that .” said Chaeyoung, who honestly seems like she’s enjoying what she’s hearing. “But now I do.” she smirked.

 

“Quit it.”

 

“Soooo.” Said Jihyo, “That’s it? You were in a bad mood because Jeongyeon kicked you out?”

 

It was Jeongyeon’s turn to roll her eyes, “I did not ‘kick her out’. For all your information, I had to go somewhere yesterday and I was more than gracious to let her stay until the last minute. I mean, she didn’t even have the decency to wake up early.”

 

 

Alright, that’s it. I wasn’t going to bring it up but she just pushed it.

“Haven’t you ever heard of ‘bros before hoes’?” I announced.

 

“Bros before horse?”

 

“Hoes.” I said, a little too loud. I noticed some people turned their heads towards us. “Given our long history of friendship, you would think that she’ll choose me over a guy but NOOOOOOOO.”

 

“Wait, what?”

 

Jeongyeon seemed to have no idea of what I’m talking about so I said, “Why don’t you tell them that you were with a guy yesterday?” I challenged her with a look.

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon, you were on a date?” asked Jihyo, “With whom?”

 

“With Kyu—“ before I knew it, a hand was covering my mouth.

 

Yoo Jeongyeon’s.

 

“Nothing!” She exclaimed. “I wasn’t on a date, ok and can we just— Squirtle shut that trap of yours and come with me for a second.” Jeongyeon stood up and grabbed my hand as she lead me outside.

 

 

“What the hell was that?” She asked as soon as we were out of earshot.

 

I crossed my arms. “What? I was telling the truth.”

 

“How did you even know who I was with?”

 

“What? Assistant Director Kyunghoon?”

 

She shushed me with a hand, “Why don’t you say it louder for the people at the back?”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever, I’m going inside.”

 

“Im Nayeon wait.” She grabbed my wrist. I was trying so hard to ignore how warm her hands felt at the moment. Stay in character, Nayeon. Stay mad. “You’re not going to tell them, are you?”

 

 

“Fine. Whatever. Not like I care.”

 

--

 

I spent the whole afternoon sulking on my desk. I was so distracted that I kept writing and rewriting an article that I had to submit by midnight.

 

“You’re not going to tell them, are you?”

 

I couldn’t stop thinking about Jeongyeon’s worried face when she those words earlier. Was she scared? Did she just confirm it? Why else would she be worried if there’s nothing going on between them? “The hell did she mean by that?” I muttered outloud as I slumped back in my chair, massaging my temples.

 

“Hey, wanna grab something to eat before we go home?” A familiar voice loomed over me.

 

It was Jeongyeon.

Standing infront of my cubicle.

Looking all pretty and .

 

Ugh.

 

I rolled my eyes and turned my back against her.

 

“Squirtle.”

 

I ignored her, of course.

 

“Xylitol unnie.”

 

“…”

 

“Im Nayeon.” She then impatiently turned my chair towards her. “It’s rude to ignore a senior, you know?”

 

Oh good, now she’s playing the senior card. I made a face and rolled my eyes. “No, thanks. I’m not hungry.” Why don’t you ask your boyfriend instead? I should’ve added.

 

“Are you sure? My treat~” She wiggled her eyebrows. It would’ve been been impossible to resist had I been not mad at the moment but I am so I just ignored her.

 

“Ramyun?”

 

“No.”

 

“How about samgyupsal?” She tried again. “Soondae?”

 

What a cheapskate. I rolled my eyes.

 

“Your eyeballs are gonna get stuck at the back of your head if you keep doing that.”

 

“I told you I’m not—“

 

“Wait, I know.” Jeongyeon’s smile was so wide you’d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter