Box of Truth

Princess Charming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
05 BOX OF TRUTH  

“Come on, one more round.”

 

“This is so stupid. Not to mention boring.”

 

“That’s because you write weird stuff on your paper. You’re supposed to write sentences that make sense.”

 

It’s 11:30 pm and I’m in Jeongyeon’s big apartment. We were playing a game I learned from a novel I read before. So the game goes like this: Each person would write a sentence, any sentence, in a piece of paper and then splits the paper up to separate the words then toss it in a box or cup and get eight pieces to form a random sentence. We were playing cards earlier but I always lose so I suggested we change games. Hehe.

 

“Why don’t you go home? I wanna go to sleep.” She took a big yawn and stretched her arms.

 

Oh no. I am enjoying this way too much. I don’t wanna go home. Mina’s back with her family in Japan right now so I’m just alone in our apartment for 3 days. “Noooo. Come on, it’s still early.”

 

“It’s almost midnight, Nayeon.”

 

“Okay, last round?” I said, trying to sound as cute as possible.

 

“Ugh.” Jeongyeon rolled her eyes. “Fine.” Ha! My aegyo worked.


I picked my pen and pointed it at her, “And don’t write nonsense.” I said. What else could I write? I drummed my fingers against the table, glancing at Jeongyeon. She was lying down on her back, one hand supporting her head and the other one was holding her pen. She was writing down something as her lips form a crooked grin. What is this idiot writing? I tried to peek at her paper but she caught me.

 

“Hey! No peeking!” She protested. I made a face and I realized what I wanted to write.

 

Jeongyeon has a nice and a stupid grin.

 

I wrote and ripped the words one by one.

 

I handed her the pieces of my paper and she threw it in the box along with hers. And then, we drew 8 pieces of paper and opened it to form a sentence.

 

“What-should-stupid-Jeongyeon-hard--nice-you”

 

I laughed out loud.

 

“Yah! What did you write? Why is my name here?” She sat up, complaining. “and you say my sentences are weird.”

 

“Tell me yours first.”

 

“Whatever. Go home, I’m gonna clean this up.” We both stood up.

 

“Tss. You’re no fun.” I said, getting my coat as I passed by Jeongyeon’s room. Ah, I really don’t wanna go home. I’d feel so lonely in there. And it’s Sunday tomorrow. I have nothing to do.

 

An idea popped into my head.

 

“You know what, you’re right it’s late. Why don’t I spend the night here?”

 

Jeongyeon’s alarmed face almost made me back off, “Oh no no you can’t.”

 

“Why not? You used to sleep over at my house when we’re kids.” I countered.

 

“That’s different!”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because…” She started, face getting red. What’s wrong with this girl? “Whatever.” She waved a hand infront of me, “You can’t sleep here. I’m leaving first thing tomorrow. And I don’t have spare clothes. And my room’s too messy—“

 

“Yeah right. Goodnight.” I ran to her room as fast as I can and locked the door behind me. Ooh my heart’s pounding like crazy. Adrenaline rush.

 

“Yah!” She pounded on the door of her room, “IM NAYEON!!”

 

Her room’s is neat. And pretty big with high ceilings. Messy? What a liar. She has a queensized bed, with neatly tucked in futon. A few picture frames of her bedside table and her desk. A small lego set displayed from her shelves, a few books. What the hell, this looks like model showroom.

 

”Fine! I’ll give you the clothes okay? I’ll just clean this up first.” She said on the other side of the door. “DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING IN THERE!”

 

“Okaaaaay.”

 

 

A few moments later, Jeongyeon came back with a neatly folded pair of pajamas in her hand. She handed them over to me with a scowl on her face. “Treat these nicely, they’re my favorite.”

 

“Of course I will.” I nodded excitedly and went straight to her bathroom. Wow, I shouldn’t be surprised that her bathroom is neat and clean but, wow. It REALLY is sparkling clean.

 

“Oh my god, these are so comfortable.”

 

“Yes I know, that’s why they’re my favorite.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

She squinted her eyes at me as we both entered her room, “What are you looking at?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Why are you being suspicious?”

 

“Did you touch anything while I’m gone?”

 

“No.” I shrugged, “I don’t understand you. You invite me over and then act as if I’m some unwanted guest.“ I said as I sat on her bed.

 

“Well, you are an unwanted guest.”

 

“Excuse me, you asked for my help.”

 

“Correction, Jihyo asked for MY help. She wanted to meet up, I offered my place, you heard us then you tagged along, remember?” She said as a matter of fact-ly.

 

“I am offering my service out of good will. You should be thankful.”

 

“You’re stressing me out, Im Nayeon.”

 

My eyes fall on the family picture on her bedside table. It was an old picture. Like more than a decade old. It was taken outside a temple; they were probably on vacation. There’s Jeongyeon’s Dad, her mom, her sisters and of course, Jeongyeon, who very much looked like the Kyungwan I used to know and remember, with the coconut haircut and crooked mischievous smile.

 

A smile crept to my lips as I lifted up the family picture.

 

“What are you smiling at, squirtle?”

 

“You were so cute, what happened?!”

 

“I got pretty, that’s what happened.”

 

I rolled my eyes at her. Yeah, she got pretty. But there’s no way in hell I’ll admit that. “How are they?”

 

“My family?” She asked and I nodded, “Well...” She said as she sat beside me, making herself comfortable. The bed squeaks.

 

“My dad’s still a chef. He has a restaurant in the city. Omma’s at home, taking care of the house... and dogs. Seoyoon unnie’s still abroad and my Seungyeon unnie-“ she paused, as if in contemplation, “She’s a theatre actress and now engaged.”

 

“Oh wow!” I squealed, “Congrats to her.”

 

“Yeah, she got engaged 6 months ago.” She pursed her lips to smile as she looked down, fingers fiddling through the hem of the blanket.

 

“and you’re not happy about it.” I remarked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter