New connections.

Summertime awkwardness.

Jihyun sat in her room, not doing anything specific, just staring at a wall and trying to understand absolutely anything.

"She knew Chanyeol loved her," she even began talking to herself, "and she still kissed his bestfriend," not acknowledging why she was actually angry at Amber, she scoffed, "and Chanyeol still started dating her?"

Her back hit the bed as she grunted loudly.

"Why aren't you packing?"

She didn't have any energy to lift up her head, she just shifted her eyes towards Kyungsoo just so she could roll them.

"Apologize to Sehun," Kyungsoo said.

"Not your business," Jihyun sighed. "But did you know that Chanyeol's dating Amber?"

For the first time, Kyungsoo showed emotion when she spoke - it was shock and fear. 

Good thing she wasn't looking at him.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat, "He's happy."

Jihyun finally turned to look at him, but he was already leaving. 

As he disappeared, she sighed once more, "We were, too."








The next day was planned completely - damn Sehun and his schedules. 

"First, we go to the beach, chill there for about one hour and forty minutes," he spoke excitedly, "then we..."

His voice just faded into the sound of the crashing waves.

For a few minutes everyone forgot every trouble in the world. 

Jihyun didn't even care that Chanyeol had Amber wrapped around his arm together with them. She didn't care that Kyungsoo's shoulder was dangerously close to her or that when he passed by, his cologne made her gulp. 

But most importantly, she didn't care about anything, because Sehun put his arm around her shoulders and smiled at her warmly.

"I'm glad you didn't leave," he said. 







Setting down her towel, Jihyun noticed Kyungsoo gritting his teeth and glaring at Chanyeol, who was playing with Amber in the water. 

"He's happy," she mocked Kyungsoo under her nose, but it was loud enough to hear.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and began to stand up. "Chanyeol!"

Jihyun tried to listen to what he had to say, but it was impossible.



"What do you think you're doing?" Kyungsoo asked angrily with a big sarcastic smile on his face.

"What do you mean?" Chanyeol frowned.

"It's a bit weird that you have here with you," Kyungsoo tried to explain.

"It's really not," Amber interrupted.

"Yeah," Chanyeol nodded innocently. "We actually talked about this."

Amber grinned, "And if you try to complain about us being together once again,"

"Or if you're going to be mean to Jihyun," Chanyeol added.

"We're going to tell her the truth." They both said at the same time.






On a mission to get drinks for herself and Sehun, Jihyun stood in front of the old food truck and sighed while coming up to the little window where a nerdy looking guy greeted her with a smile. "The menu really changed, huh?" She chuckled.

"It's been awhile," his eyes curled, "What can I get you?"

"I guess a mojito and..." She bit down onto her lower lip. "Anything."

"One mojito and anything," he repeated after her while laughing, "Coming up!"

While making the drinks, he kept glancing at her and chuckling at how awkwardly she stood, fidgeting with her feet, bending and cracking her fingers and pulling down onto her shirt as she was not wearing any bottoms besides a bikini. 

"I haven't seen you here before," he said as he began to shake the first drink.

She looked around to make sure he was talking to her. And instead of answering with words, she just nodded at him.

"Okay, okay," he laughed, "I won't bother you, you just seem really interesting."

Jihyun blushed slightly, but tried not to show it.

It's been a long time since anyone paid any attention to her. To be exact, a year and a half since anyone paid attention to her. 


She regretted not saying anything to him, but already walking back to Sehun, she noticed something written on her cup.

 

I work till 8pm, come by if you want to talk.

- B. 

 

She grinned widely, bitting onto the straw as her feet still carried her to Sehun.

"Why so happy?" Sehun asked as she handed him his cup with the same smile.

Jihyun even giggled, "I'll be right back."


She could feel that she was going back to the food truck a lot faster than she walked away from it. And also could see that he was even happier to see her come back.

He even opened the door of the truck and gestured her to come in with a bow.

She laughed, stepping in as he closed the door behind them.


He quickly grabbed a blanked and placed it on one of the freezers. 

"You can sit down," he patted the blanket.

Jihyun smiled and hopped onto the freezer. She didn't even have any time to pull down on her shirt once more as he came back to her with another blanket and put it on her lap.

"I'm Baekhyun."

He was standing really close to her, and his palms were resting near her thighs on the freezer, but his smile could calm even a crying baby.

"So that's what the B stood for," she smiled back, "Jihyun."

"Jihyun..." Baekhyun nodded to himself.

Going back to the counter to take a few orders, Baekhyun kept shaking his head and laughing.

"What?" Jihyun asked.

"I can't believe you came back, I was thinking that you took me for a creep or something," he explained.

"Who said I didn't?"

For a second, his eyes rounded, but then they both burst into laughter. 





They kept on chatting, laughing, finding out that they both had a lot in common. 

Jihyun couldn't believe he was real - witty, smart and charming. Could it be any better?


"Are you trying to get me drunk?" Jihyun teased as he made her a third drink after a huge wave of customers finally left.

He leaned against the wall of the truck and brushed the sweat of his forehead. 

"You know," he sighed and looked at her, "This really isn't how I'd like you to see me."

"How would you like me to see you?" Jihyun raised her brows.

Thoughts of coming closer to her and leaning in came rushing to his mind. 

He scoffed, "It's too soon for us."

"Later might be too late," she said.

Baekhyun stared at her in confusion, "I really can't put my finger on you, Jihyun."





"I should really go back," Jihyun jumped off the freezer after almost an hour. Seeing Baekhyun's pout, she explained, "I'm here with my brother and his friends, they don't even know where I am."

"Okay, okay, but," Baekhyun grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled numbers on it. "This is my phone number. I had a great time, I'd really like to get to know you even more and actually," he hesitated, "I'm meeting up with two of my buddies to tell scary stories around a fire and eat marshmallows. Would you like to come?"

Jihyun smiled, "I'll think about it, okay?" She took the piece of paper from him and walked to the door.

"I'm really glad we talked," he said.

"Me too," Jihyun nodded.
 

 

 

Walking back, she could see the guys packing up. 

"Where were you?" Chanyeol asked.

"I found a friend," Jihyun smiled.

"Wow," Sehun teased with the squint of his gaze, "You seem happy about that. A girl friend or a boy friend?"

"Does it matter?" Jihyun stuck her tongue out playfully.




Kyungsoo kept a neutral face as they all continued to tease and mock Jihyun while walking back to the house. 

He noticed something fall from the clutch of stuff she was caring in her arms. Bending to pick it up, he already knew what it was.

He stopped his pace, whispering to himself, "Baekhyun, huh?"