Chapter I: BEFORE

Saudade

Chapter 1

"That's what happens," she said.

"You let people in, and they destroy you."

Yoongi

                “Are you really not going? I mean, what’s the point of celebrating if you’re not there? We need our genius producer!” Namjoon said to Yoongi while the latter was sorting some music sheets in a folder.

                Yoongi turned to him. “I really can’t.”

                “Why?” he asked.

                “Just because,” the shorter guy answered and put the sheets in the drawer, locking it. In the music industry, producers’ weapon as well as their life line is music. When it gets stolen, they can’t fight, they can’t live.  That’s what he believes.

                That’s what he’s been keeping in mind these days. Truthfully, it isn’t easy.  It never was easy. Nothing is easy in making your dream a reality especially if you somewhat have a name tag with your family background written on it or you have a burden people can’t just ignore.

               It never was easy to be a criminal’s son.

               Yoongi shut his eyes close when memories of the past flashed before him. He could never get out of it, huh. He can never move on. Sometimes Yoongi feels hate towards his Dad for doing what he did but most times, he just wants to kill whoever was responsible for it.

You. Yes you. Do you know?

                Are you listening? Of course, not.

                You broke my heart in three, oh darling

                One shattered, and the other turned into ash. Huh.

                The last one was the one I used to cut you off my life

Dear You by Jeon Jungkook ft. JHope

Written by SUGA

Produced by SUGA, RM

AGUST D MUSIC

                “Suga, you can’t be like this,” Namjoon said, snapping Yoongi out of his memory lane.

               Min Yoongi turned to look at Namjoon who was already scrutinizing Yoongi’s odd behavior towards the public. He never understood how could a genius producer like Yoongi doesn’t want the public attention he deserves to have because of his talent. He can never understand.

                They’re friends for years now since he started working in the company but to him, Yoongi is still a secret, a mystery. He never opened up about anything. Namjoon can’t help but think he’s just a music buddy just because they work in the same field, in the same building. And he’s sad to realize that.

                Just now, the look that ‘Suga’ had on his face—it’s empty.

                “Can’t be what?” Yoongi asked.

                Namjoon wanted to ask. Why can’t you open up? Why can’t I be your friend friend instead?

                He shrugged, looking away. As usual, he can’t do it. “Just come early tomorrow. Singer V will start his recording at 8AM.”

                Without saying anything, aside from acknowledging what Namjoon said with a small nod, Yoongi headed to the door and out of the studio. On his way, he was congratulated by staffs and some artists who were there to record and he politely accepted them by thanking.

                Yoongi hid his face well by wearing a black cap, big enough so believe anyone can’t recognize him but he was wrong. There was a particular girl who did. It was none other than the ghost girl in his past who kept haunting his present.

-


Jennie

                Was it really him? Jennie asked herself.

                She wasn’t sure but the guy seemed like the guy she wished not to see. Because it will only dig up bitter memories that she tried very hard to bury. It happened years ago but even so, it haunts her till now.

                “Jennie!” she heard a manly voice called her.

                She turned to see the oppa she missed to see and the reason why she came here in the company he’s currently working at. Kim Namjoon—a close friend and an oppa.

                “I just read your message! I’m sorry. Did you wait long?” the older guy asked, worried that she kept her waiting. He was so into editing a song that he forgot he asked Jennie to be his date to a party because the girl he asked backed out last minute.

                  So he asked his only girl friend to be one and he was glad she agreed even though she was in a family dinner.

                  Jennie shook her head and smiled. “It’s okay oppa. The couch was comfortable.”

                 “Mian. So let’s go?” he asked and the girl nodded.

             They headed out and into Namjoon’s car, heading for the victory party a few kilometers away from the company. He received various texts from his coworkers who were already there. Jungkook, the famous singer was there already.

                “So have you listened to our song? It just came out yesterday,” Namjoon asked Jennie who was quietly sitting beside him.

             He knew Jennie Kim as Hanbin’s childhood friend and somehow grew fond of the young girl because she’s not only polite but genuinely nice. At first, he was interested in her but realized his feelings were merely superficial and he only sees her now as a little sister. What’s unique about Jennie is that…she’s way too honest.

                “No,” Jennie answered. “You know I don’t like music, oppa.”

                “And I will never understand why,” Namjoon answered.

Jennie shrugged. “Just because.”

Namjoon chuckled at his friend’s passiveness. “You remind me of Suga, you know.”

                “Suga?” Jennie asked, recalling if she ever met him but no.

                Namjoon nodded. “My coworker, a fellow producer. I’m his friend but he doesn’t seem to like that idea.”

                “Why? Because he wants you to love him or something?” This time Jennie looked at Namjoon with a teasing smile.

              The guy laughed, shaking his head. “No, pabo. It’s just that he doesn’t open up to me, too. Just like you. You know I’m always here for you. Right, Jen?”

                “I know,” Jennie said before looking at the other direction, observing the view outside.

               She knew that. She knew she can tell Namjoon anything and it’s unfair that she keeps secrets from him, but she has reasons. It’s because she doesn’t want to remember it anymore. But these days, she’s being haunted by the ghost of the past. Just like earlier.

                Jennie believed it’s just her imagination playing with her. There’s no way in hell that would happen. Last time she checked, ghost boy left the country. Of course, leaving her.

                You left him first.

                Yes, I did, Jennie said quietly.

                The night ended fast just as the party. She was able to meet the infamous Jeon Jungkook and well, was able to hear live the song Namjoon kept talking about—the one he helped produced. Jennie knew how passionate her oppa is with his job. And to see him so happy because of good outcome, it was right to say she’s proud.

                Namjoon drove Jennie back to her dorm. Just then, Jennie remembered she lost her keys together with her cat-shaped pouch she used to keep her lipgloss. Fortunately, her roommate, Chaeyoung was still awake. The younger girl opened the door for her unnie and was surprised to see Namjoon.

                “Ommo, Namjoon oppa,” Chaeyoung said and bowed. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

                “Hi, Chaeng,” Namjoon replied. “How are you?”

                 “I’m good, oppa,” Chaeng answered. “Come in, you two.”

                Namjoon shook his head. “No, I’m okay. I gotta go. You kids need to study,” he turned to Jennie. “Thanks, Jendeuk. Good luck on your exams on Monday.”

                Jennie nodded. “No problem, Joon oppa. Thanks.”

                “Bye.”

                “Bye, oppa.”

               When Jennie and Chaeyoung got inside their room, the young girl immediately asked about Jeon Jungkook. Apparently, Chaeyoung is a big fan of the singer and to think that Jennie met him earlier, of course Park Chaeyoung wouldn’t miss asking about how Jungkook was in real life.

                Jennie was patient enough to answer all of Chaeyoung’s questions even if she herself was dead tired and just wanted to lie down and sleep. She spared time to entertain her favorite roommate—and a friend.

                After taking a full shower and drying her hair, Jennie went to bed with lot of things going on in her head because of what she found out at the party.

                Before Jennie could drift into a deep sleep, the sound of an incoming text made her reach for her phone. It was from Namjoon.

              From: Namjoon Oppa

                Found your keys! You left them on the couch, pabo. Keke.

                Come by my studio tomorrow when you’re not busy.

                If you’re lucky, you can even meet a famous artist ;)

-


I . I don't even have a chapter image nor a cover lol