Cousins?

Unconditional Kind of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Lisa kept poking her unfinished food with chopsticks, not really saying anything. I demanded her to talk as soon as we arrived at this restaurant just a few blocks away from the hospital, reminding her that I don't have all the time for her but she told me to calm down and let her eat first, so I did.

I have finished my meal trying to give her the time to figure out what she wanted to say but we have been here for almost an hour and she hasn't spoke about it yet
I was getting a little bit impatient.

"If you will not start talking I'll go ahead now."


"..."


"Okay, I'll go to the counter, tabs on me."

I was getting ready to leave when she put down her chopsticks.

"Wait!"

I looked at her and crossed my arms. I studied her face. She looked like she would break down any moment. I looked away and stared at the glass infront of me instead.

"Can you..."

"Can you please not tell Jennie about my Dad?"

I looked at her confused not really processing what she said.

"I know this might seem ridiculous to you but can you please act like nothing happened?" She finally said.

Yes it was ridiculous. Jennie is her cousin. Why hide it? Their family are probably mourning now too. There's no point in hiding.

"Yeah, whatever." I was confused but I agreed. I really don't get why does it seem like she would go depths just to keep it a secret. It's not like Lisa to wait for hours and ask for a favor looking like a lost puppy.

Also, I don't want to add it as another burden to her so I'll just leave her be... but I couldn't help and be curious.

'Aren't they cousins?'

Then it hit me. Jennie thought Lisa's Dad was her uncle, but it wasn't, they aren't related.


"If it's okay to ask..." She nodded


"I'm curious though, aren't your... um..
Dad, Jennie's uncle?" I sort of wanted to confirm.

Since she was getting more relaxed now I could initiate a little talk, can I?


"We are a hundred percent cousins."


'huh. so, it's her uncle too?'


"But why won't you tell her?" Her eyes keep on roaming and she was fidgeting on her seat.

"It's not the time yet." She looked nervous and vulnerable.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter