A memory from the past.

Hungry Hearts.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One - A memory from the past.

 

Walking with no purposes was somehow very good for once. And Park Yoochun, wrapped up warmly in his trench coat and scarf, seemed to feel better by being invisible among all those people rushing their steps to be away from those cold streets in those winter days, dreaming of being under the warm atmosphere of a cherished home and laughs of their family.

But, him, did he have something he could call home?

The man in his early thirty stopped in his track as he felt numbed, not by the cold wind but by his own exhaustion as he paid no mind to the people around him, passing by him as they, too, did not see him.

He was alone in this society he walked in as the heir of the Park family. A young master who seemed to have no one standing at his sides.

He looked up at the sky above him. The soft grey blue had disappeared for a long time now, letting the soft darkness of the night filling the space above his head. And the soft melody coming from the wind that was blowing the all Seoul for already a week did not make things better. The man sketched a small smile as he could only pity himself.

In his most dark thought, the odd and soft jingling sound nowhere jolt him. The business man frowned as he seemed to be the only one to hear that small and melodious chime floating in the cold air.

And there, the same jingling. Soft and warm.

Following that sound, Yoochun found himself in front of a junction. What he could distinguish before his eyes was a strange small alley. Curiosity gnawing him, the man moved his steps unconsciously as if he was attracted to something invisible in this narrow street. And soon enough, step after step, he saw himself standing at the front of these old sliding wooden doors, with the feel of coming from an ancient period.

Soothed voices were coming behind those screen panels, intriguing him for a while.

Yoochun let out a sigh. He was there, and it was time for dinner. A late dinner if he could say so. He wasn't going to lose much by eating in this strange and odd small diner. And there was no one waiting for him at his apartment. At the thought of being alone in his cold but luxurious home, he lifted his hand towards one of the screen doors and slid the wooden panel, closing his eyes at the warm feeling coming from this odd but cosy dining room.

He smiled at the sight of two pairs of eyes set on him, then he took at what was in front of his eyes. It was the smallest diner he could find in this big city Seoul was with a few chairs and tables. Everything was made by wood. But, the feeling of something refreshing was filling his exhausted body. And Yoochun could see himself sit in one of those worn chairs, having a good meal with a smile for once before facing the loneliness of his cold apartment.

"Welcome to Cassiopeia!"

The man turned his eyes towards the slender fair haired man standing behind a counter, smiling at him in this intriguing outfit, a set of garments that not fit well with this kind of cosy and old fashioned restaurant. Not mentioning the soft printed pink flowers apron the man was sporting with no shame.

"Put your tired body anywhere and I will give you the best meal you never have forever." The faired man said with a warm smile before returning his attention to the teen who was sitting at the counter tool, finishing his plate of what seemed to be some soft hot noodles soup. "And you young man, you have to go home. Your mother is surely waiting for you now."

Yoochun said nothing but only stepped into the small diner in silence. He did not want to eavesdrop their conversation, but what could he do? 

"I don't think so." The teenage boy who seemed to be fifteen or a little more said in a quiet tone.

"Why not?" The pretty man asked as he lifted a well drawn brow while still looking at the young boy.

"She's at work." The boy said without a doubt.

"Maybe, she's not."

"There's nothing more important than her work since appa left us." The teenager let out with a resigned voice.

"You seem bitter."

"When appa was there, things were way better. Now, there's only us, umma and I." The boy paused for a moment before looking up at the man who seemed to be the owner of this small diner. "And there is no home either."

"Things can be better."

"No..."

"You're very sure of that."

The boy nodded and finished his drink. "I go because you don't want me here."

The pretty man smiled and shook his head lightly. "A young boy like you should not stroll on the street at this hour of the evening. Doing that, you make your mother worry."

"She thinks I'm at that ing cram school she enlisted me not long ago. And I hate cram school."

"You should tell that to your mother." The man said with a soft voice, giving all his attention to the teenage boy who seemed lost like Yoochun was in his own path life.

"How could I tell her that when she wants me to have good grades and enter the best university? Work hard... Don't be like me... You need to do better than life is given us... Make me proud of you... Let that man knows his mistake..." He added with anger.

"At least you know where are her best interests." The pretty man smiled as he ruffled the boy's soft hair. "Taemin-ah! If you don't talk much with her, you will never find a way back to what was your relationship with her was before the turning point of your lives. Even if your father is not here anymore, you still have her. And, life is too short to let those foul feelings taking over you. What will happen one day when you will find yourself alone?"

The boy whose name was Taemin seemed to meditate what the owner of this small restaurant had said to him. Then, the teenage boy sighed and nodded, resigned to listen well as he was never a rebellious child.

"I talk to her... But if I am in any kind of with her because of you, you take responsibility of that. Right?"

"Shall I do the pinkie promise too?" The older man asked with a nod and a smile painting on his soft face.

"Of course!" Taemin huffed with a nod.

And the man laughed softly at the childish side of the already sixteen years old boy. But, nonetheless, he did the pinkie promise to sooth the boy's worry away.

"You're going to be good." The man added.

"I hope so..." Taemin nodded then slid off from the stool before taking all his belongings from the stool at his right. "I don't know if I will be here tomorrow." The boy added lowly.

"I never wait for you." The beautiful man let out with his most beautiful smile as he just elbowed the surface of the counter with his chin pressing on his palms.

"I know." The boy smiled back. "Next time can you make me some eggs and ham?"

"Ask your mother to cook for you."

Taemin chuckled and nodded. "It's the only things she can cook. But she doesn't have time anymore..." He let out a sigh then, added, "...See you around Jaejoong hyung!"

"Bye little boy!"

Taemin grunted at being called little boy. But, he finally walked towards the screen door still being ajar with the newcomer still standing at the bottom of the wooden panel. The boy hoisted his backpack over his shoulder and smirked at the well dressed man who seemed not fit in this place. Too sophisticated. Too rich for a humble place like this.

"You're new. Right?" He said with a laughed. And Yoochun frowned as he was looking at the teenage boy. "If not you would just come in like all the regular customers, greeting as if it is your home." And at his last words, the teenage boy walked away from the warm and cosy restaurant with the beautiful man looking at his back with a smile.

Then, Yoochun could feel the stare of that kind man on him as a questioning expression was marring on the latter soft face.

"...sitting..." He let out awkwardly.

"Yes!"

"I-I do that..." Yoochun stuttered a bit as the man hurried his pace and took a seat on the back of the diner small main room after closing the sliding door behind him, pulling his coat and scarf away with a quiet gesture and put them into the chair next to him. "Sorry... I didn't want to eavesdrop..." He let out with an apologetic smile when the man named Jaejoong set a glass of soft drink on his table.

"Well, my cooking business is not grand as you can see." Jaejoong smiled as he took at the small dining room, feeling proud for doing well despite it wasn't much. Everything was standing in this small room, his kitchen and the main dining room. Of course, a small storage room where he put all the vegetables and ingredients for his cooking. "No wonder if you did hear what we were saying." He added as he looked back at the business man, a smile still painting on his full and rosy lips.

"...right..." The business man nodded quietly as he was looking at the room. It wasn't grand like those three-star restaurants he always went by. But the atmosphere was warm and cosy. It was something everyone could qualify as home.

"I won't be long." The owner smiled while he tapped the tip of his fingers on the wooden surface of the square table, and not long after he turned his back on his client walking towards his stove behind the counter, leaving behind a soft fragrant of vanilla and strawberry floating in the air.

And Yoochun could not help smiling at the sight of the man's attires.

Yes, that outfit did not fit with this old fashioned cooking business. This Jaejoong man was out of place with his skinny black leather pants moulding his curves and that black airy long sleeves sweatshirt. Not mentioning his strawberry blond hair which suited him very much. The man even sported some eyeliner, making his already big eyes more wider.

An idol.

The owner of this small and cosy diner felt like an idol with his alluring appearance.

Everything in this place seemed odd and timeless.

Looking down at his hands set on the surface table, Yoochun nodded with a soft smile painting on his lips. Even if the faired man was extravagant and out of place, he fit very well when standing between the walls of this old fashioned restaurant. Because it was at the man's image.

And he decided that he liked it, this odd and strange atmosphere where his tired mind seemed to have find its peace.

Closing his eyes, he could hear the sound of a knife chopping some vegetables on a cutting board before a jolting sound came from a pan putting on a stove. Then, some sizzling sound was echoing in the room indicating that the owner of this diner who was also the cook of this cooking establishment was frying something on a pan.

Not long after, Yoochun could smelled a fragrant odour filling the room, sweet and sour, awakening all his senses. Smiling, he felt like time travelling and saw his young self running into his old house with laugh and his younger brother at his tow. And there, in the kitchen, his mother was standing in front of the stove, making lunch for them. At the sound of their small steps on the tilled floor, the most beautiful woman he never saw in his whole life turned her attention to him, to them, with her most beautiful smile.

And he could never forget that soft smile filled with so much love. Year after year, nothing had altered the intense feeling of her smile. Not even now...

"Here we go."

Yoochun opened his eyes as he saw a plate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter