The Photo Album

The Photo Album [ONESHOT]

                Lee Jinki crawled out of bed with a smile on his face. He had just come back from a shooting and he decided to take a quick nap before he went and visited her.

                It was a bright day out. The weather was perfect and Jinki could not wait to give her the flowers he spent long hours picking out and rearranging in clusters of size and colour. He knew she’d like the pretty pink ones in the front of the bouquet. Jinki stretched his arms wide, refreshed from his quick slumber. He could hear the other members bustling outside his room. Schedules weren’t hectic that day. The only person who had something extra was Minho, who had to go film Dream Team. The rest of the afternoon was free.

                Jinki slid open his closet and picked his most dashing outfit off the hanger on the opposite side of the door. Just like the flowers, the suit was also carefully selected beforehand.

                He adjusted his cuffs under his blazer and retied his tie nervously. Would she like what he was wearing? He shook his head. Of course she would. She always does.

                He fixed his hair carefully and flashed a bright smile in the mirror. She always liked his smile. It was her favourite thing next to his voice.

                Walking over to his desk, he picked up the bouquet of flowers and observed them. Would this be enough? Maybe he should get her a gift too.

                He really should. He couldn’t believe this slipped his mind, but today was their two year anniversary. Jinki smacked himself in the head. How could he have been so stupid as to not get her an anniversary gift?

                What would she like? Last year he got her a pendent, and the year before that, a promise ring. Perhaps he could—

                And there he saw it. On his desk was his laptop. It was on its standby slideshow. Pictures and memories past floated across the screen.

                And Jinki had a brilliant idea. He snatched his USB with all the photo files out of the drawer and ran out the room. He passed Taemin and Jonghyun, who were lounging on the couch watching their Super Junior hyungs at Music Bank on the TV. Key was coming out of the kitchen when he saw Jinki.

                “Onew hyung, where are you going?” Kibum asked.

                “I’m going out for a while. I’m going to get a gift for her before I go and visit,” Jinki grinned. He missed the looks of sadness and concern his three band mates flashed him as he skipped out the dorm.

                Jinki knew the perfect place to go. There was a shop downtown that Jonghyun went to during the filming of Hello Baby, right before it was time to leave Yoogeun. He really missed that kid. She loved Yoogeun too. When they weren’t filming, she was always playing with the toddler. She tried to get him to call her umma but Yoogeun thought of her more as a noona. Jinki chuckled. He should’ve made Yoogeun sing “Noona You’re So Pretty” instead of dancing to “Ring Ding Dong”.

                “Hello and welcome,” the shop keep chimed as Jinki walked in. He waved.

                “Hello ahjussi! I was wondering if you could print up these photos for me,” he handed the old man his USB stick.

                “Of course! Which ones do you want?” the ahjussi asked.

                “All of them,” Jinki replied. Each one was a precious memory.

                The old man told him to wait a bit so Jinki roamed the rest of the shop. He stumbled upon a package high upon a top shelf near the back. Since he was tall, he was able to reach it without much effort. It was sort of mahogany in colour and lined with a metallic gold. He weighed it in his hands. It seemed pretty good.

                A fabulous photo album it was.

                The ahjussi called him back and he walked over with book in hand. The old man raised a brow but decided not to pry, especially when he got a good look at the pictures he had just printed out.

                After purchasing his things, Jinki waved and headed off to his destination.

                The rolling hills were green and grassy. The skies were clear of clouds and it radiated a brilliant blue. The air smelled of flowers and freshly cut lawns. The place was silent with only the sounds of chirping birds and the distant rush of the city behind him flowing through his ears. He knew his love waited just beyond the mound, like she always did.

                Quickly, Jinki placed the printed photos in the album, ordering them chronologically. He smiled at one particular photo. It was of their first anniversary and he was giving her a piggy back. Her lovely face beamed at the camera with pure joy. Jonghyun had taken the photo, he remembered, and had commented about her beauty lighting up the picture and making Jinki look grim in comparison.

                He had finally passed over the hills and there she was, like always. Rushing down the slope, he plopped down in his place beside her.

He reached his hand out and smoothed it over a hard and cold marble surface, his fingers tracing the carved out crevices within the stone.

                “Filming was fun today,” Jinki smiled. “Taemin and Jonghyun stole all of the food from the staff table.” The place was silent. It was just him and her.

                Has it really been two years? Weird how time flies.

                Jinki placed the new flowers on the mound of dirt sitting in front of the stone, the pinks, reds and whites standing out against the neutral tones of the earth.

                “I forgot to ask, how are you today love?” Jinki set down the mahogany album beside the pretty bouquet. He opened the flap of the album to the first picture. “It’s our anniversary, remember?”

                Everything still remained silent. The breeze picked up, and the album pages turned over in the wind.

                It landed on the photo of their first anniversary, the pair of lovers smiled up at the camera with all the happiness in the world.

                Jinki laughed. “Yeah, you remembered.”