TEN

KIM & I

“Let me ask you something, Jung Reen. Where the hell were you this past week?” Jihyun asks as soon as she sits. You smile bitterly at her. Both of you meet up at a café near your house.

 

“I just got lazy.”

 

“Lazy? For the whole week?”

 

“It’s just five days, plus our school not so strict about this.” You shrug, drinking your coffee. Jihyun watches suspiciously.

 

“Hey, I heard this place got the best strawberry parfait. You should order it. My treat.” You urge Jihyun. She refuses it but you keep insisting.

 

“Jung Reen.” A knock on your desk brings you back to your class. You look up to see a curious Himchan looking at you.

 

“Did you manage to arrive at your destination?” He asks. You furrow your eyebrows, trying to register what he asks. Himchan waits for your answer.

 

“Sorry, sir.” You apologize after realizing he was teasing you for daydreaming in the class. He smiles and resumes his class. Jongup nudges you, his face asking what’s wrong with you. You just shake your head sideways and continue to focus on the lesson.

 

“That’s weird.” Jihyun whispers. Youngjae glances at you. He can see you are having a trouble focusing on Himchan’s class. He also can see you seem bothered with something.

 

“Yeah, it’s not like her to be uninterested in Mr. Kim’s class.” Youngjae answers, jotting down some notes given. Jihyun continues to watches you losing your focus again. However, it’s not only the trio notice you are losing interest on Himchan’s class.

 


 

“Okay girl. Spill out everything. Did something happen last week? It’s so unlike you to lose your interest in Mr. Kim’s class.” Jihyun asks when all of your gang sit at your usual place in the cafeteria. You look at her.

 

“Nothing. Maybe I’m just tired.” You smile weakly, eating your lunch. Jihyun opens up but Youngjae stops her, asking her to let you off. The four of you eat your lunch in silence.

 

“Do you want to come with us for a movie?” Jihyun breaks out the silence. You look at Jihyun, then Youngjae.

 

“Is Jongup involves?” Jongup shakes his head. He has a practice today after school. So, it will just be the two of them. That just means, it’s their date.

 

“I don’t know… I don’t want to be your third wheeler.” You say, trying to get out of this trouble, but Jihyun insists. Youngjae also does not seem to mind about you joining them today.

 

“Okay… But just a movie then I’ll go home so you both can have a proper date.” The three of you agree.

 

The three of you head to the mall after the school end. You walk slowly behind the couple, a bit far from them. They are holding hands, teasing each other. You smile watching your best friends having fun together. Must be nice having someone to spend time with.

 

“What do you want to watch?” Jihyun asks Youngjae. They pick out a horror movie while you make an exemption with pick out a fantasy movie. You are never a fan of a horror movie. Everyone knows if they let you watch a horror movie, you end up being sleepless for weeks. The three of you part away to the cinema halls.

 

Your movie end earlier than the couple. You aimlessly walk in the mall, observing people. After a few moments, you decide to check out the small vendors outside.

 

“Meow.” You look down and see a cat nuzzling on your feet. The cat mewls at you. You bought some snacks and crouch down, feeding some to the cat away from people. The cat gobbles up the food happily. You smile, petting the cat.

 

“Eat up, little cat.”

 

“Jung?” You froze at the familiar voice behind you. Why? Why is he here out all places?

 

“Jung Reen.” You stand up slowly, turning around to look at Himchan. He smiles, as usual.

 

“Mr. Kim, I can’t believe to see you here.” You stammer with your words. Damn it, Reen. Get your act together.

 

“Well, it’s near my university and I happen to want to visit these vendors,” Himchan answers, watching your body language. Seems she has read it. He can see you avoiding his eye contacts.

 

“Are you alone?”

 

“N-No. Well, I am now b-but I’m with Jihyun and Youngjae. They will be back sooner or later.” You bite your bottom lips, cursing yourself. Himchan let out a chuckle.

 

“Come on. Let’s check out those vendors together while waiting for your friends.” Huh? What?

 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think it’s appropriate for both of us to be seen walking together.” You quickly refusing his offer. As much as you want it but you don’t want it to be a troublesome later.

 

“It’s okay. You and your friends are the only students that brave enough to come here. This place is pack with university students. Come on, let me treat you some snacks.” He walks away. Why does everyone keep insisting me to follow them today? You thought of yourself before following Himchan from behind. Both of you check out some stuff, Himchan bought you some snacks and both of you enjoy it together. The awkwardness flies away with foods in both of your hands. Himchan watches you eating happily. Cute.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Kim. I think I should head back where I should meet up with them. They should be done by now.” You thank him, smiling. Himchan watches you checking up your phone.

 

“Oh… Well, be careful. Do you want me to accompany you there?” Himchan hesitantly letting you go. He wants to spend more time with you. You smile wryly, shaking your head sideways.

 

“See you tomorrow, Mr. Kim.” You bow to him slightly before walking back inside the mall. You can feel Himchan’s eyes stares at you as you walk. Himchan sighs, why he must fall for you?

 

“Where did you go?” Jihyun asks as soon as you arrive at the meetup point.

 

“Sorry, I got up with the vendors outside. So many snacks to try.” You grin apologetic. The three of you head home together after a quick dinner. The short moments alone with Himchan will be kept as a secret between the two of you.

 


 

“Do you know why I bring you here?” That weekend, Himchan brings you to a café far from your school to avoid being spot on. You shake your head. You also still questioning yourself why you accept his invitation in the first place. You stir your coffee slowly. Himchan stares at your movement. Everything seems beautiful to him. He let out a sigh. Boy, you fall in love hard.

 

“Mr. Kim.” Himchan looks at you. He can see your face is flushed in embarrassment.

 

“What is it?” He asks.

 

“You have been staring at me.” He might as well make a big hole on you if he keeps on staring. You look down. Himchan clears his throat and looks outside in embarrassment. He apologizes. You start fidgeting your fingers. This is so awkward. A teacher and his student, meeting in a café.

 

“May I know why you absent for a whole week last week, Miss Jung? Is there something wrong in your household?” He asks calmly.

 

“I just feel a bit under the weather last week. Maybe because of the community service I did.” You say, still focusing on your fidgeting fingers.

 

“That’s not a way to speak to your teacher, Miss Jung. Look at me when we are talking.” Himchan using his teacher’s veto. You exhale, looking at Himchan slowly. His eyes, no anger just caring.

 

“I’m sorry, Mr. Kim.”

 

“Did you read it?” Himchan shoots you a question you are hoping he won’t ask. You froze out on your seat giving a solid answer that you read it. Himchan sighs.

 

“I’m sorry for this nuisance, Miss Jung. I know it’s really not appropriate for a teacher to likes his own student. However, I do honestly like you.” Himchan exclaims, calmly and confidently. You sip on your coffee. Thinking what to say to your teacher.

 

“I… I’m still a minor, Mr. Kim.” Deep inside you are happy that your crush likes you back, but you realize you are still a minor and it is unacceptable for an adult to date a minor. If this known by all, Himchan will lose his job and face a huge trouble with his professions.

 

“I understand. You have another year and a half to finish your school. By then, I will wait for your answer.” He says calmly although his heart almost crumbles into pieces. You nod and Himchan drinks his coffee, leaving a foam mustache on his lips. You look and hold your smile.

 

“Mr. Kim.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“There’s a foam, on your lips.” Himchan tries to wipe it off but your sudden movement wiping it off with a tissue froze him. He can hear you mumble about him being like a kid. You pull away, smiling awkwardly.

 

“Well, thank you.” You nod and finish up your drink, however a sudden loud growl halting both of you. Why now, stomach? You close your eyes, letting out a huge sigh.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Are you hungry?” You nod, you are quite starving actually. It is almost lunchtime anyway. No wonder. Himchan immediately gets up and hold your hand, pulling you.

 

“Come on. Let’s eat.” Himchan walks out, still holding your hand. You walk, trying to catch up with Himchan’s fast pace. As soon as both of you arrive at his car, Himchan realizes he has been holding your hand. He pulls away, apologies. He opens the passenger door, inviting to inside.

 

“Where are we going?” You ask as soon he get inside the driver seat. He smiles.

 

“To the best eateries ever.” He says and drives away. You decide to trust him. He’s your teacher after all.