one

Look Closely (the beautiful may be small)

Literature had always held a soft spot in Kim Namjoon’s heart. Although it wasn’t exactly his first choice when he took his entrance exam for the university. His first choice was Philosophy, the second choice was Political Science and Literature was his last. He had mulled it over for several hours before signing the form. To be frank, he only ended up with that major because Philosophy would only lead to a life in the university and the Poli-Sci was a sure way to end up in the government. The government was corrupt and Namjoon really didn’t want any part in it. Literature seemed like his best bet at that time.

So far, everything was going well. He’s now in his third year and he loved everything so far.

Anyway, that’s not really the story. The story was how this one first year Communications major was suddenly taking all his attention during a shared Humanities class. It was a non-block class so it was a collection of students from various years and majors who needed to take it. 

And there he was again. All cute and fluffy with his pink hair and eye-smile that turned them into pretty crescents. Namjoon’s eyes followed the guy who was hefting a tripod and studio lights. They might be taking Humanities together but they don’t really interact.

Sure, they exchanged polite nods and short greetings. Their eyes met a few times, especially when Namjoon was the chosen student assistant for the class. He was the one who collected paperwork and checked the attendance. Jimin came a few times late and he would always give Namjoon this pleading look that he would take as ‘please don’t write me off as late, or I’ll incur enough to be absent and then get dropped out of this class.’ So, Namjoon would only write it on a separate piece of paper so he could track Jimin’s attendance and still be somewhat fair to the rest. He was very intent on making sure no one got written off with Failure due to Absences.

Humanities with Mr. Kwon is moved to Adagio Multipurpose Hall.

It was only 5 minutes before class started so he thought he’d be fine, but now he had to take 10 minutes to get to the other building. Namjoon mentally swore at his professor. Mr. Kwon was a nice teacher, but he could be quite eccentric and hard to follow sometimes.
 

He sighed and turned to exit the room when a small frame bumped into him.

“, I’m sorry! I didn’t see you there!” He exclaimed and looked at the beanie covered head of one Park Jimin.

“It’s fine, I wasn’t looking, anyway.” The younger paused to peek into the empty classroom and looked at Namjoon, “Where are the others?” He asked

“Oh. We’re having a film viewing, I guess.” Namjoon muttered with a shrug and adjusted the strap of his bag. It suddenly felt heavier than it used to.

“Right. Let’s go, then.” The smaller one decided and started walking away. Namjoon frowned as he watched Jimin walk to the wrong direction, “It’s this way, actually!” His voice boomed in the nearly empty hall.

Namjoon didn’t miss how Jimin’s cheeks turned pink before shuffling back to him, “I’ll come with you, then.” Jimin muttered as he pulled his beanie lower—as if that would help hide his embarrassment.

It doesn’t.

But Namjoon tried to save him with small talk.

“So, uhh, you’ve never been to the Adagio hall before?” The Literature major asked, as he tried not to glance at the other. He made sure his eyes were trained on the walkway, instead of side eyeing the younger. Except, he does, anyway. He couldn’t miss the fact that Jimin was fidgeting beside him. It was awkward at best.

“Not really...” Came Jimin’s whispered reply. Namjoon only nodded in response and hummed. Probably not the best way to react to the younger’s answer but he was awkward and had terrible social skills. He was just glad that he had friends from other courses (though they were equally as awkward as him, save for that one dance major who was sunshine personified)

Only silence followed.

When they did reach the Multipurpose hall, they shuffled in to find empty seats and quietly sat through the whole of V for Vendetta film.

They don’t talk after that.

The next time that they do, however, was a weird one.







----

from: gi hyung



kwon’s hum & socs are in the library.



----



Namjoon was glad that he was sharing the same professor with Yoongi. Professor Kwon had a penchant for shared sessions with his Humanities and Sociology classes.



Today was apparently one of those days.



He was writing an analysis on Thomas More’s Utopia and he was halfway into writing the body when he received Yoongi’s text. It wasn’t really due soon—in fact, it was due next week. He could easily write it in one night. But Namjoon was also one of those people who preferred to do everything several days (or weeks!) before the due date. He never did like the concept of procrastination. He viewed it as something only people who can’t plan ahead did.



----

to: gi hyung



should I bring anything? Idk a set of crayons ig?





----

from: gi hyung



nah. Just a laptop and a charger. His hum class are writing weird based on some philosophy



----



He braces himself for whatever weird that his professor would be asking from them based on some philosophy concept. He doesn’t, however, expect that he would end up drawing lots to pick a topic.



ography is Beautiful.

He knew which philosopher this particular topic points to. Immediately, he bee-lined toward the DDC desk to look up Kant and Savile. He guessed that there should at least 3-5 people who got the same topic as him and that meant that they would also be in the Philosophy section.

He didn’t see anyone there, though. But he didn’t let that faze him. So what if he was the only one with the really weird topic? The instructions were unclear so he would probably just write an essay regarding how ography is considered beautiful under Kant’s critique of judgment. 

Once he was able to hunt down the references he needed, he settled on an empty table nearest to the power outlet. He had an old laptop that needed to be plugged in to work. He glanced at the topic paper again and spotted numbers. It said tomorrow @ 00:00

Due tonight, then? He then turned to look at the time on his laptop and it read 5:18PM

He should be able to finish this before the library closed at 9. Maybe even earlier.

The man spent over an hour typing and looking over his references, quoting phrases here and there. He tried to defend how it could be considered beautiful without subjectivity. How it could incite pleasure with the eye of disinterest. Without delving into its purpose. It was confusing. It was philosophy, or maybe it was Kant? Maybe it was he, himself? Namjoon was slowly spiraling into confusion as he neared the end of his essay worth of 2,000 words.

He glanced at time on his screen: 6:54PM



He mentally debated on sending it now or wait until some of his classmates start leaving the building. His eyes wandered around the room, observing the people studiously poring over their texts.



Then, he sees him.