End?

IBJH FM

It was around half an hour after midnight where Joohyun first met Seungwan, a girl who just finished her daily busking session on the street nearby. Joohyun met the girl as she was on her way to the bus stop, coincidentally waiting for a bus at the same time with Seungwan. It’s weird, Joohyun thought. Since it was the first time she had ever met the quiet girl sitting beside her, though she had always waited for the bus there for months now. But, Joohyun did not pry further. She isn’t the type to mind other people’s business anyway. However, it’s a lie that the girl beside her didn’t pique her interest.

 

It was summer when Joohyun first met Seungwan.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

~ Few hours prior ~

 

Joohyun wore her favourite purple headphone as she was getting ready to start her job for today. The brunette was a radio DJ for almost a year now and her radio station was one of the most tuned in stations since people, mostly teenagers find her voice soothing, and listening to her voice can ease their mind and emotions. The DJ worked from 6 pm till 12 am, every day. Though she has to admit that the job was exhausting, very exhausting, Joohyun couldn’t complain since she enjoyed doing it very much.

 

The fact that people find it calming to listen to her voice, made the brunette happy, since people like her even if they didn’t know how she looks like (Joohyun doesn’t tell people) nor her real name, except for Joy. Her past lovers, and even some of her friends were using her just for her looks, using her to gain their own benefits. Because of this, the brunette doesn’t reveal her face at the radio station. She wanted to be known for her talent, not because of her looks.

 

As the intro back ground music was ending, the brunette drank a sip of water before turning on the microphone in front of her.

 

“Good evening dear listeners, you’re currently tuning in to IBJH FM. I am your presenter Irene Bae and in just a few minutes, we’re going to look at some of the live comments on today’s topic, which is ‘Love at First Sight’. Stay tuned.” Joohyun said as she played her intro music for a few minutes, while reading quietly the live comments she was getting.

 

“Do you believe at love at first sight?” Joohyun said softly, in a calming tune that would definitely made her listeners focus on her voice, while reading the comments she was getting. “Let’s read some of the comments on the forum,” The brunette added as she was trying to pick an interesting story to read.

 

After a few minutes, she managed to find an interesting story.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Joohyun didn’t believe in love at first sight. For her, love at first sight is such a ridiculous thing. You don’t fall in love at people because of how they look or how they dressed or how they cut their hair. You fall in love with people because of their personality, which you’ll learn after knowing them for a long time.

 

Maybe that was why Joohyun was still single till now, despite her very beautiful appearance and her soft heart. People here and there kept hitting on the brunette but Joohyun wasn’t fazed since she knew too well those people just want to get into her pants and leave her once they did so.

 

So, Joohyun closed her heart, preventing herself to fall in love. It’s not time, yet. Joohyun thought.

 

Until Seungwan walked into her life.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

She was sitting on the bus stop alone, as usual, and scrolled through her private twitter account, reading people’s tweet about her radio show today. She always has a habit of doing so. There are some mean tweets about her but mostly people praised her for tonight. The brunette was smiling as she was reading those nice tweets about her. But, her smile quickly dissipated into thin air as she felt someone sitting beside her. That’s weird, Joohyun thought. She never had company while waiting for the bus at this time. So, the brunette glanced at her left, where her companion was sitting.

 

Joohyun didn’t realize that she was holding her breath the moment her eyes landed on that said companion. The girl beside her was wearing earphones, swaying her head, probably following the beat of the song she was listening to. Her black-coloured guitar gig bag was securely placed between her legs, which took up half her body size. Joohyun found that sight pretty adorable, though she had no idea why she thought so. She kept staring at the pretty girl who was focused on her phone screen. The girl’s hair was a bright shade of red, tying them up in a high ponytail as she let her fringe covered her forehead. Though it was a highly unusual hair colour she had ever seen, Joohyun had to admit the girl suit the hair colour so much. Unknowing to Joohyun, she was smiling to herself as she kept on staring at the girl beside her, until the said girl suddenly shifted herself and unplugged her earphones out of nowhere.

 

Panicked, the radio DJ faked a cough and immediately looked back at her phone, hoping that the red head didn’t realized that Joohyun was being a creep for three straight minutes. Her heart was beating so fast as she was looking at her phone, acting as if she was looking at the electronic piece this whole time.

 

Fortunately, she succeeded on doing so. Or so she thought.

 

-

 

Sitting inside the bus, Joohyun hated to admit that she was a bit disappointed that the red head girl wasn’t on the same bus with her. Though she only met her like… half an hour. Half an hour, and the red head already has this effect on her. Half an hour, and the side profile of the red head was already in her head. Joohyun wanted to talk to the girl, she had to.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

A random music that was suggested by her listeners were being played in the background, and the brunette was twirling her chair around, as she was thinking of last night’s incident. She was frowning and was biting on the tip of her pen, sighing once in a while as she was trying to clear her mind off someone.

 

This is impossible, I don’t even believe in love at first sight. Joohyun thought as she massaged her temples, trying to focus on doing her job instead. She needed to tell someone about last night, and it looked her listeners are the lucky ones.

 

Wearing her headphones, Joohyun sip on some water before clearing , starting her ‘story telling’ for that day.

 

“Welcome back,” The brunette started, “If you’ve just joined us, you are tuned in the frequencies of 91.3 modulation IBJH FM. With you in the studio is me, Irene Bae. The song we just heard was Mayday Parade’s You Be the Anchor That Keeps My Feet On the Ground, I'll Be the Wings That Keep Your Heart in the Clouds. I admit the title is long, very long,” Joohyun chuckled slightly before continuing, “but it is a really good song, one of my favourites. I think anyone who has been in a deep relationship that ended by the other person leaving can relate to this song. So, please listen to it a lot.” Joohyun stopped for a few moments, biting her lower lip as she was thinking. Should I really tell them about last night?

 

But, there’s no harm in doing so, right?

 

“Actually, before I play the next song, since we’re still in the topic of ‘love’,” Joohyun cringed a little as the word escaped . “Last night, as I was waiting for the bus to arrive at the bus stop, there’s this one odd-looking girl who was waiting with me. I’ve never seen her before. She has a weird hair colour, the colour you wouldn’t usually find every day. But, I have to admit, she was very beautiful even with that hair colour, though I only saw her side profile.” The brunette’s mind was now on the incident last night. How the red head was listening to songs serenely, with her big guitar gig bag that covered half her small body. Joohyun found herself smiling again. “I may have told you guys that I certainly do not believe on love at first sight. But, after last night, I may have starting to believe on it.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Joohyun arrived at the bus stop a tad bit late since she was engrossed on reading the live comments she was getting. Her comment section blew up the moment she finished her little story telling. People were telling her to talk to the girl, get her number, and some people were even giving her tips on how to flirt, since they knew how bad the radio DJ flirts. Joohyun ended up spending half an hour after her work time just to read the comments, not that she minded anyway.

 

As she arrived at the bus stop, she was thinking that maybe, the red head girl has already got home, and Joohyun pouted to herself at that thought. However, much to her happiness, ‘red head’ girl was still at the bus stop, doing the same thing last night. Joohyun smiled, she wanted to talk to the girl today, but her little gay was panicking. What if the girl found her creepy? What if the girl found her annoying? What if the girl called her a stalker?

 

Sitting beside the girl with a frown, Joohyun heaved a sigh of worry as she fished her phone out of her pocket. It seemed like they’re not going to talk today, or maybe never.

 

The brunette couldn’t help but to side eyed the red head, who was now has her hair down. She was wearing a red flannel with ripped jeans, along with a black high top converse.

 

She was stunning.

 

Those ordinary outfit has huge effects on Joohyun. That was when she thought, she was whipped for the girl.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Unnie!” Joy begged as she was looking at Joohyun who was glaring at her. The latter has her day off tomorrow and Joy was already persuading her to go to her university. Out of all the days, tomorrow just have to be Joy’s university’s family day. The younger of the two spend her time persuading and begging Joohyun to go with her, along the line of ‘my family live far away! You’re the only family I have here. Please!’.

 

The brunette sighed and groaned as she continued to glare at Joy. “Fine fine!” She said in defeat as she plopped herself on the couch. “Now please shut up, I’m trying to rest here.” Joohyun complained as she closed her eyes, sleep invaded her as soon as she does so.

 

There goes her day off.

 

-

 

“Oh Joy.” Joohyun sighed in bliss as she consumed her ninth garlic bread at that hour alone. “I didn’t know your university sells such good garlic breads!” She stated with full of the said food, with a huge grin on her face.

 

They were currently at the university and Joohyun had to admit, she was enjoying herself at this Family Day. There are a lot of food stall opened that day, her favourite. And as soon as she landed her eyes on the garlic bread stall, the brunette just had to go there in a blink of an eye an instantly bought a dozen of them. It was her favourite food after all. Unfortunately, clueless Joohyun didn’t know how strong the garlic bread was.

 

“I knew you wouldn’t regret it, unnie.” Joy sing-songed happily as she clamped her arm around Joohyun’s neck, making the latter glare at her.

 

“You don’t need to suffocate me with your humongous arm!” The DJ complained as she squirmed herself out of Joy’s grip. The younger of the two just grinned like a fool, feeling happy seeing her unnie enjoying herself.

 

“Oh!” Joy exclaimed out of nowhere and nudged Joohyun, shocking the latter who was peacefully eating. Joohyun glared at Joy, but the younger girl ignored it as she dragged clueless, defenceless Joohyun towards the park, where people gathered. Rolling her eyes, the older of the two couldn’t do anything but to follow her clearly excited friend. “This is the best part!” Joy squealed as both of them arrived there.

 

It was indeed the best part as Joohyun could see a group of students arranging speakers, mics and various types of instruments. However, what caught the brunette’s attention was the oddly familiar black guitar gig bag neatly placed on one of the chairs there. Her eyes immediately ran wild as she was looking around frantically, hoping that maybe, the odd was in her favour.

 

“No way.” Joohyun whispered as she finally recognized someone familiar, very familiar. “No freaking way.”

 

“Unnie, what’s the matter?” Joy asked as soon as she saw how Joohyun was looking as if she was going to explode any time soon.

 

“Her…” Joohyun pointed at the red head girl. Joy followed Joohyun’s index finger, looking at the direction she was pointing and she was more than confused on why the hell was Joohyun literally shaking right now.

 

“Seungwan?”

 

“So that’s what her name is...”

 

“Have you guys met before?” Joy pried more but as soon as she asked, her eyes widen in realization. “Don’t tell me… Seungwan is the girl you referred to in your radio program.”

 

Realizing how quiet Joohyun was being, Joy smiled in satisfaction as she was already thinking on how to tease the hell out of her housemate. “Oh unnie I knew it! Her odd hair colour, her-“

 

“Shush Joy.” Joohyun cut the taller girl’s words off as she covered Joy’s mouth with her palm. “Shut up, she’s singing.”

 

Joohyun would never thought, she’ll finally hear the girl sing live.

 

-

 

Seungwan indeed has a heaven-like voice and if it wasn’t because of Joy’s constant nudging on Joohyun’s shoulder, she would already drool herself listening to the red head’s voice. Seungwan was singing some song in English and Joohyun mentally noted at herself to play the song at her radio station tomorrow. As the red head finished singing, all the people there clapped in excitement. Joohyun clapped aggressively. But, her stomach was suddenly hurting, but the brunette paid no attention and continued to clap aggressively. It has been months since Seungwan and her ‘shared’ the bus stop, months, and neither the two of them initiated a conversation. Joohyun’s listeners were being more and more demanding on telling the DJ to make the first move. Of course, Joohyun didn’t.

 

“Wendy!” Joy shouted out of nowhere and immediately looked at Joohyun, who looked as white as a paper.

 

“Y-You know her?”

 

“Know her? She’s my best friend here!” Joy said in a teasing tone as she smirked at Joohyun.

 

“Joy, she’s walking here ohmygod ohmygod.” Joohyun started to blabber as she felt her stomach started to hurt more.

 

“Hi Joy! How was my performance?” Seungwan asked happily as soon as she arrived there. Joohyun just kept quiet as she was holding on her hurting stomach.

 

“It was good as always!” Joy chirped and quickly shoved Joohyun in front of her. “This is Joohyun. She loved your performance just now. She’s a fan of yours!”

 

Joohyun mentally groaned as she kept looking down, she wasn’t brave enough to look at Seungwan or Wendy, or whatever her name was, in the face. She was afraid she’d jumped on the red head and kissed her senseless right there and then.

 

“Ah,” Seungwan spoke in excitement as she put out her hand towards Joohyun. “I’m Wendy, but you can call me Seungwan. Nice to meet you! I’m glad you liked my performance!”

 

Joohyun was just about to shake hands with Seungwan, but, life sure love to play with her. Just as she put out her hand, her stomach started to grumble. Then, much to Joohyun’s horror, she let out a fart, sounding like a T-rex screaming. The three of them froze, especially Joohyun. Then, came the stench. A dead-rat-like stench.

 

Joohyun have never felt like burying herself six feet underground right there and then.

 

Damn you garlic bread.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Guys,” Joohyun started talking to her microphone, her face was the same shade of red as Seungwan’s hair and she looked as if she was about to blow off. “If you don’t hear from me anytime soon, I might have teleported my to back to Australia.” The DJ was mentally knocking her head on the table as she was whispering ‘you dumb you dumb ’ again and again, like a mantra. “I have done the most embarrassing I’ve could ever done in front of odd-girl.”

 

As soon as she finished speaking, the comment section blew up, once again. Her listeners were more shocked about them actually interacting than the dumb Joohyun had done.

 

“I farted in front of her. Not the silent fart, but the loud, t-rex like fart.” The brunette said and immediately whined, contemplating whether to really fly her back to Australia.

 

Her listeners were teasing her non-stop at the comment section and the most she had seen was a huge chunk of ‘HAHAHAHAHAHA’, dozens of them.

 

Today was going to be a long day.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Joohyun put on her black cap as she was on her way to the bus stop. She was lowering her head all the way there and for once, she prayed to god that Seungwan would already be gone. The DJ purposely leave her workplace late, just to avoid a certain red head.

 

Joohyun thought God really hated her as she arrived at the bus stop, clearly not alone. Seungwan was there, she was still there. The brunette groaned internally as she made her way there slowly. She really has no other option. There was no way in hell she would walk home. It was freezing and the last thing Joohyun wanted to happen was freezing herself to death walking home. So, she sat at the most end of the bus stop, distancing herself away from Seungwan as far as she could.

 

But, the bus stop was small, so there was no point of doing so.

 

It seemed as if Seungwan still haven’t realized that Joohyun was the one who sat at the bus stop this whole time, and she heaved a sigh of relief as she pulled her cap down more, looking at the ground the whole time. She prayed so hard that her bus or Seungwan’s bus would arrive as soon as possible.

 

Her train of thought was cut short at her phone ringing. Frowning, the DJ looked at the ID or the caller and sighed for the umpteenth time that day as she realized her boss was the one who called her.

 

“Hello?” Joohyun said as soon as she accepted the call.

 

She kept quiet for a while, frown was appearing on her face. “What? Are you serious?”

 

“Why? Why must it be my timeslot?” She was starting to raise her voice, which managed to piqued Seungwan’s interest. Unplugging her earphone away from her ears, Seungwan stared at the girl beside her who looked oddly familiar to her.

 

“Take Jae’s timeslot off then. You know too well I have the best rating amongst all of them.” Joohyun gritted her teeth.

 

Seungwan kept looking.

 

After a few back and forth arguments, a sigh could be heard coming out of Joohyun’s lips. She massaged her temples and replied dejectedly, “Alright… - yeah – whatever, you’re welcome.” The brunette ended the call and punched the seat angrily.

 

“Rough day at work?” Seungwan questioned, the girl beside her looked as if she was about to cry in any moment now and being the nice person she is, the red head decided to interfere.

 

Joohyun immediately froze as soon as she heard Seungwan’s voice. Dear god please spare me.

 

“Y-Yeah.” Joohyun answered nevertheless and glanced slightly at Seungwan. “You can tell?” Joohyun asked. Seungwan was looking at her with a worried face and Joohyun found herself lost at the red head’s eyes.

 

“Ye- Wait. You’re Joy’s friend, right? The fart girl?”

 

“F-Fart girl?” Joohyun choked on the air. So that was her ‘nickname’ according to Seungwan. “I have a name!”

 

“I’m just joking, Joohyun.” Seungwan giggled, which was heaven to Joohyun’s ears. “Care to tell me what happened?”

 

“I was eating a dozen of garlic bread and my stomach started to-“

 

“I mean, what happened at your workplace.”

 

“Oh.” Joohyun felt like an idiot. Way to impress her you . “M-My boss cut out my timeslot to give it to this young new worker he hired instead.”

 

“Timeslot? Are you like, a variety show host or something?”

 

“N-No.” Joohyun whispered. There was no way in hell she would tell Seungwan who she actually was. Irene was like, her alter ego.

 

“Then what do you really work as?”

 

“A radio DJ.”

 

Oops.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“You freaking tell her who you really are?” Joy asked in disbelieve. Joohyun was really whipped at Seungwan, no doubt.

 

“I-I didn’t!” The older of the two defended herself as she pouted cutely. “I… I just told her what I work as. I didn’t tell her that I’m THE Irene Bae.”

 

“Unnie…” Joy sighed and patted Joohyun’s shoulder softly. “I hate to break this to you but, Wendy is freaking clever. She notices even the little details people tell her. And to add salt to the wound, she listens to your radio program. If she notices, which I bet she will, about the changes in ‘Irene’s’ timeslot…” Joy stopped talking before smirking at Joohyun who was frozen, registering everything the younger was telling her. “Think it yourself, Irene unnie.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Guys,” Joohyun sighed as she laughed crazily, making her listeners somewhat worried for her sanity. After the changes in her timeslot, Joohyun was acting insane, but, her rating was still high nevertheless. In fact, her rating sky rocketed as soon as she was set to broadcast at morning. “I may have fu- fudge up big time.” The DJ said and laughed crazily once more. “I may or may have not revealed myself to the odd-girl. And my housemate, which is like, very close to odd-girl, just told me that she listens to my radio program. She might be tuning in right now.” Joohyun mumbled the last part, at this point she’ll really fly her back to Australia. “So, since I have no dignity to keep left after farting in front of her…” The brunette inhaled a huge breath before continuing, “To the odd-girl, I hope you know I’m talking about you. The girl that have an odd hair colour, with her black-coloured guitar gig bag that was always with her every time we met at the bus stop. I just wanted to tell you that I have fall in love at first sight at you, though I don’t really believe at such obnoxious thing.”

 

Joohyun suddenly stood up from her chair and took an acoustic guitar that was beside her. Plugging it to the cable adapter, the DJ strummed the guitar, tuning it before speaking to her microphone. “I don’t sing in front of people but, I really wanted to sing this song to you. But, I was too scared to do so. This song, was the song I first heard you sang live, where I farted in front of you. I decided to sing it live here, since I didn’t have to face you.” Joohyun chuckled shyly, she was really planning on going it all out today. “This is Little House, which was originally sang by Amanda Seyfried. Enjoy.”

 

And the brunette started to strum the guitar.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Joohyun haven’t met Seungwan yet, after the changes in her timeslot. It was winter, and she now worked from 8 am till 1 pm, and she doesn’t have to wait for the bus at midnight anymore, though a little part of her still hoped that somehow, she can meet the red head again. Joohyun found herself thinking as she was walking at the bus stop, has Seungwan heard her little confession song? Did Seungwan even know that Joohyun was Irene? Did Seungwan figured it out?

 

The endless thought kept on clouding the brunette’s head as she finally found herself at the bus stop. Joohyun chuckled sadly as she found no one there. What was she hoping anyway? Seungwan probably didn’t feel the same as her.

 

Plugging her earphones in her ears, Joohyun was listening to some sad songs, shaking her head as she realized how pathetic she looked like that time. She was listening to BANNERS’ Let Go, tears escaped her eyes unknowingly as she was in the middle of listening to it.

 

As she looked at the sky, she closed her eyes, letting the sunlight invading her face. The gloomy brunette let more tears escaped through her eyes. She really was letting it all out today, even after finishing her radio broadcast. Inhaling the cold air, she whined a little as her mind kept trailing to think of someone, no matter how hard she tried to distract them.

 

Suddenly, the sunlight which was on her face was weirdly gone. Joohyun frowned as she was trying to feel the sunlight on her face again, eyes still closing. The sunlight never returned and Joohyun opened her eyes slowly.

 

Whatever Joohyun saw in front of her, almost made her faint.

 

“S-Seungwan?” The radio DJ found herself stuck between her words. She immediately stood up, looking at the red-haired girl in front of her who was panting. “Wh-What-“

 

Joohyun’s words were cut off with a soft pair of lips planted on hers. The kiss was soft, so soft till it made Joohyun’s broken heart melted, her stomach filled with butterflies, her cheeks burn and her heartbeat skipped a thousand beats.

 

Seungwan was kissing her. Seungwan was really kissing her. Never in a million years Joohyun thought this would happen.

 

Seungwan broke the kiss first, and looked at the brunette with a worried face. Joohyun found her arms wrapped around Seungwan’s petite figure, as if it meant to be there naturally.

 

“Does this mean you feel the same way about me?” The older of the two asked sheepishly, earning a soft laughter from Seungwan.

 

Instead of answering Joohyun, Seungwan kissed her again, this time needier. The brunette didn’t complain though.

 

“You took my heart….” Joohyun said, as they broke the kiss. “And made me melt again.”

 

“Did you really quote Mayday Parade’s Angels to me?”

 

“Y-You know that song?” Joohyun’s face was the same shade as Seungwan’s hair.

 

“You always play that song in your radio broadcast, you dummy.” Seungwan laughed as she flicked Joohyun’s forehead softly. The older girl pouted as soon as she was flicked.

 

“You’re so oblivious, aren’t you? You didn’t even realize I was staring at you too the first day we sat together here. You really thought that fake cough of yours would cover the fact that you kept glancing, staring at me?”

 

Joohyun was starting to get dizzy. So after all this time, Seungwan knew the brunette was staring at her, and yet the red head didn’t say anything. She must really look like a creep. Scratch that, she is a creep.

 

“B-But-“

 

“That night where I talked to you suddenly? I wanted to talk to you for a very long time now, Joohyun. Trust me. The day you got into an argument with your boss, that was the perfect moment to initiate a conversation with you, since I know you won’t talk first.” Seungwan rolled her eyes but kept smiling, “I didn’t know you are THE Irene Bae until you told me about the timeslot and you working as a DJ. So much for being a mysterious DJ.”

 

“Dang it.” Joohyun was once again, caught red handed. “You’re really as clever as Joy said you would.”

 

“You’re cute, Joohyun.” Seungwan bashfully confessed, as she caressed on Joohyun’s cheeks softly. “I like you the moment I sat my eyes on your creepy behaviour.”

 

“I-I wasn’t being a creep!”

 

“No you’re not.” Seungwan smiled softly, which made Joohyun’s breath hitched. “You’re cute, your shyness was cute, DJ Irene~” Seungwan cooed and immediately kissed Joohyun again.

 

Boy, she really has to get used to this intimacy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End. Or is it? ;)

 

 

 

 

A/N: The songs that were mentioned in this one shot, take a listen to it. They’re really good. Especially BANNERS. All of his songs are good.