Chapter 6

A Pack's Story

The next day began rather early as Jinho, Kino and Shinwon had to pack up the truck after spending most of last night getting their laundry done. Kino went to pack up the truck again, almost going to the wrong truck due to still being rather tired but he quickly went to the right truck as Jeongin came outside with Kangmin and Hohyeon as they had to get ready to go back to the dorms.

"Kangmin," called Kino as he spotted Kangmin. "What's up?" Asked Kangmin as he walked over. "You've noticed then?" Asked Kino. Kangmin scratched the back of his head. "Yeah," he said, sighing. "How'd you figure out that I'm not... I'm aromantic?" He asked. "It's part of being a tracker," said Kino as he put his hand on Kangmin's shoulder. "Plus, so am I," he said, shrugging.

"But you and?" Asked Kangmin as he looked confused. "Part of being a 'shifter I guess," said Kino as he scratched the back of his head. "But he is fine with it, once I figured out why I never felt anything really towards him except the need to be close," he said. "Platonic relationships eh?" Asked Kangmin. "Pretty much," said Kino as he turned back to packing up the truck. Kangmin hummed, going back to Jeongin's truck and helping Hohyeon and Jeongin pack up.

"Ugh, it's going to be a long drive to Chicago," said Jinho as he came out with some coffee. "Did you talk to him?" He asked, turning to look at Kangmin before setting the cups of coffee on the roof of the truck and climbing into the truck bed to help tie everything down. "I talked to him a bit last night while it was my turn to get laundry done," said Kino as he went to pop the hood of the truck to see if they needed to change the oil. "And a bit earlier," he added.

"How'd it go?" Asked Jinho. "He was surprised," Kino said with a chuckle. "Well, last night anyway, but he finally noticed this morning it seems," he said. "He's not ready to tell them," he said, going over and opening the backdoor and leaning under the seat to look for the toolbox and extra oil. "It did take a bit for you to tell Shinwon," agreed Jinho. "Granted back then the times were different but," he said.

Kino hummed as he nodded, quickly changing the oil before going to put the toolbox away and throw away the oil containers used. He took a cup of coffee from the roof and took a sip, cringing as the hot liquid burned his tongue. "Careful," Jinho said, laughing some as he hopped down and closed the trunk lid before closing the cover of the truck. "Oh shut up you," said Kino as he went to see if Kangmin and the others needed help.

"Need help?" Asked Kino as Jeongin hopped into the truck to tie things down. "No, we're good," said Jeongin. "Mind if I take Kangmin away for a few minutes?" Asked Kino. "Sure," said Jeongin as he turned to Kangmin. "Yeah, sure," said Kangmin. Kino walked away with Kangmin, going to lean against the truck Kino and the others arrived in.

"How do you deal with it?" Kangmin asked suddenly. "Deal with what?" Asked Kino as he took a sip of coffee. "Being in a relationship even though there's no real romantic feelings there?" Asked Kangmin. "Well," said Kino as he looked up at the sky. "Romance isn't everything in a relationship," he said. "The fact that we both found our mates in each other makes it a bit easier but," he said, sighing a bit.

"I've come to understand it over the years," said Shinwon as he walked over. "It does take some getting used to," he said, reaching over and taking the other cup of coffee off the roof of the truck. "You two have been through a lot," said Jinho as he walked over after talking to Changkhyun. "What's the answer?" Asked Kino. "Yes," said Jinho. "But now to tackle the biggest hurdle, getting another 'shifter pack to agree to this," he said. Kino sighed. "Well, I'll need to behave again," he said, scratching the back of his head.

"Just tell them when you feel like it," he said, turning to Kangmin. "They will understand, trust me," he said. "And if they don't?" Asked Kangmin. "Come find us, we'll take a human along," said Jinho. "You'll get to meet Yuto," he said, chuckling some.

"Who did you come out to first?" Asked Kangmin. "Surprisingly? It was the silent one of our pack," said Kino as he took another sip of coffee. "He took me to Hongseok, and then he took me to Hui," he said. "I had to talk to everyone at that point but," he said, scratching the back of his head. "It is a lot easier once you get it off your chest," he said. "You'll find that everyone is more understanding than you think," he said.

"Well," said Jeongin as he walked over. "Time to go then?" Asked Kangmin. "Yep," said Jeongin as he nodded. "Okay," said Kangmin as he walked back to the truck with Jeongin. Kino hummed, nodding to them. "Good luck in school then," he said. "And Kangmin," he called. Kangmin turned back to Kino. "Good luck," Kino said, giving a thumbs up. Kangmin grinned before nodding and continuing to walk towards Jeongin's truck.

They waited until Jeongin left first before getting in the truck. Jinho was driving first, as he had the address to the safe house in Chicago. Shinwon was in the passenger seat and Kino sat in the backseat, wanting to catch up on sleep since he had been the last person to get his laundry done last night.

"You seem quiet," said Jinho as he drove. "I've had a lot on my mind," said Shinwon. "And I think Kangmin's situation is similar to Kino's," he said. "Or, his situation before he came out to us," he said.

"I found a younger version of myself," Kino spoke up from his spot in the backseat as he faced the back of the seat. "I know that feeling, to be hiding something that big anyway, I do hope his situation gets better," he said. "Jeongin and Hohyeon do care for him though," he said. "So maybe they will understand the situation as did you guys," he said.