CH1

Dreaming of You

Eury

 

"Mom, I'm here already!" I cheerfully said after my mom appeared at the screen of my phone.

 

"What the hell Eury! Didn't I told you to call us as soon as possible once your plane landed? You made me and your mom nervous!" My dad's face appeared he joined the video call.

 

I smiled at him. "Dad I've just landed cross my heart hope to die! My flight was 40 minutes delayed thats why it didn't reached your estimated travel time." I removed my clothes and other things inside my luggage and placed it all on the cabinet just across my bed. "And besides I went to the guesthouse where I'm staying before calling dad. I don't have a data and I haven't had my local sim yet. Overseas call is too expensive so I waited until I got connected to the WiFi."

 

"Is it cold in there, baby?" I shook my head exaggeratedly even though it's really cold in here even if it's not snowing. Of course I don't want them to worry about me. It's me who persuaded them to let me go in here so I need to take care of myself alone.

 

"The cold's bearable mom. It's just like the cold air coming from our air conditioner." I said.

 

The call with mom and dad lasted for almost half an hour. I asked them if they want anything like souvenirs when I got home. And my mom being a beauty addict, she said she'll be okay with a set of face mask from innisfree. And my dad just shrugged his shoulders unsure about what he really wants. He said it's up to me.

 

I lay my back to the bed and I feel like melting when I felt that the bed is so soft. I want to doze off and sleep. The flight from the Philippines to here is almost 4 hours that's why it's exhausting. I'm feeling a little bit homesick but this is what I wanted so I have no right to complain right? It's a miracle that they let me travel alone especially my over reacting dad.

 

After all I don't want to have someone to travel with. I don't want to be a burden for them just like I don't want them to be a burden to me. Of course we cannot dodge the fact that there are places I want to visit that they don't like and there are places they want to visit that I myself don't like. I want to be independent when I'm in here because clearly I can't have my freedom when I'm with them.

 

I immediately stood up after I heard a knock on the door and went to peep on the peephole. It was kuya Paul outside so I opened the door for him. He smiled at me so I smiled back. He's the one who picked me up at the airport when I arrived, and he's one of the co-owners of this guesthouse.

 

Three weeks ago, I browsed the internet to look for cheap hotels here in Korea. But to my luck there's no cheap hotels in here. Prices are not that pocket friendly for a solo traveller like me. So I looked for guesthouses and then bumped into kuya Paul's guesthouse. The accommodation isn't that cheap but it's one of the cheapest among those I saw. Plus I looked at the brighter side, kuya Paul, one of the owners is also a Filipino like me.

 

(Note: kuya means; older brother / older guy. May it be a person you know or you don't know, everyone calls them kuya as an act of respect in the Philippines.) 

 

Whether I admit it or not, I'm not fluent in Korean language and not all Koreans are fluent in English that's why I grabbed the opportunity and booked myself at their guesthouse.

 

Everyone inside the guesthouse seemed to be happy when I arrived. They said they're happy because there are lots of better guesthouses but I chose their guesthouse so they're thankful. They have four guests when I arrived and I added as the fifth guest. Kuya Paul even said that they're guesthouse is facing bankruptcy that's why they entertain their guests more than the usual.

 

"Are you okay here Eury? Your name's Eury right?" He said and I nodded.

 

"I'm fine here kuya. The room's bigger than I expected." I said honestly.

 

"Is it cold in here? If you feel like its cold you can always turn the heater on okay? Here's the remote." He smiled. "And if ever you feel hungry, just go downstairs and look for Eunki. I'll be gone for three days. Eunki will assist you while I'm not here."

 

My forehead creased. Eunki? He's Korean right? He introduced him to me a while ago when he was introducing the staffs and the owners. 

 

"Kuya can we... Um can we understand each other?" I asked in a nice way possible.

 

Kuya Paul immediately nodded and said, "Yes." He even laughed at me. "Its not that obvious but Eunki can speak English and Tagalog pretty well. We were classmates in UST during our college days." He assured me. "And everyone in here knows a lil bit of Tagalog so you wont have a hard time communicating with them. And by the way before I forgot, you left your key downstairs, here." He handed me the key. "I'll get going. Just go down or use the telephone if you have any concerns."

 

"Okay kuya. Thank you again." He left and I waited for him to go down before I locked the door.

 

 

**

 

I slept for three hours first before I headed downstairs. I planned to enjoy the rest of the day roaming the streets of Seoul, I don't plan to waste time because I must savour every moment that I'm here.

 

Kuya Eunki was half running as he climbed upstairs but he stopped when he sees me going down. He smiled at me and his eyes disappeared I find it cute though.

 

"Aliseu ka Eury?" I chuckled at the way he speaks in Tagalog. His Korean accent made his pronunciation cute too. (Are you going out Eury?)

 

I bowed at him as an act of respect and then answered. "Ne oppa."

 

"Call here if you need someone to pick you up later okay?" I smiled at him. Did kuya Paul oriented him? "You know the guesthouse's number ne?"

 

I nodded. "Opo. Thank you Eunki oppa." (Yes) 

 

(Opo means yes. Used by Filipinos when talking to a person older than him/her.)

 

"Okay you take care." He even said before heading his way upstairs.

 

I headed to the reception counter to log myself out before leaving so that other staffs whom didn't saw me leaving will be aware that I left the guesthouse.

 

You can easily feel the cold breeze when you step one feet out of the guesthouse. The climate here's really different from where I came from which is the Philippines. I've decided to walk along the high class busy street of Cheongdamdong for its not that far to go to for my first day, It's just walking distance from the guesthouse. I'm still thinking where I can buy my local sim card because up until now I don't have it and it's a must to have one especially when you're travelling. 

 

There are lots of Koreans on the sidewalk they looked so happy roaming around and here I am feeling like a lost puppy. Maybe travelling alone's not really a good idea? I checked out these Koreans and I felt insecure because they're freaking tall. Seriously what are they eating to grow that tall? It's not that I'm short, in fact I'm proud of my height. I'm standing 165cms tall but at times like this, when there's a lot of people taller than you, you cant help but to feel insecure. I shook my head to erase the thought of their heights in my mind when I saw a grandmother selling fish cakes at the corner of the street.

 

I have tasted fish cakes so many times before when I was in Manila. Fish cakes and takoyaki stalls were all over the streets in Manila. It's not hard to find one there. I waked towards the stall to buy some sticks of fish cake because I want to taste the ones made in here. Maybe the taste is different from what I have tasted back in my own country. I stopped walking when a group of teenagers ordered fish cakes from grandmother. I felt shy.

 

"Halmeoni, sejogagui saengseon keikeu butakamnida!"  (Grandmother, three sticks of fish cakes please.) I overheard the girl as she ordered.

 

Heol. Earth to me! I didn't understand anything beside halmeoni and keikeu which means grandmother and cake. Why did I even think that traveling alone is fun when you don't even know a thing about the language and the culture?

 

I cleared my throat. "Halmeo—meo... ugghhhm— halmeoni!" I can feel myself trying so hard, I need to try speaking in korean even for a bit. "Halmeoni..." I repeatedly chant the word halmeoni in my mind as I walked again towards the stall. The group of teenagers were no longer there as they're already done buying.

 

I even signed three fingers so that grandmother will know that I want to order three sticks of fish cakes. God I feel so helpless its just my first day here and I'm already having a hard time! How am I going to survive here for three weeks and a half? Why did I ask my parents to allow me to travel here for that long? Ah. Because I cried when they didn't let me. They didn't say a thing when I met their requirements just to let me travel alone. I finished the last semester with high grades in all of my subjects.

 

"Halmeon—"

 

"Halmeoni!"

 

I looked up when someone spoke right next to me. He's a tall guy and he keeps on speaking something I don't understand. I know I shouldn't have planned to buy because this could happen.

 

"O, sonja! Mwo meogeullaeyo?" (Oh, grandson! What do you want to eat?) Umm... Okay 

 

"Halmeoni, piswi keikeu juseyo." (Grandmother, fish cake please.) He signed six fingers.

 

Oh please. He can eat all of those? He looked at me and I felt intimidated. He's wearing a black snapback cap, also a white mask. Well everyone here seems to be wearing a mask except me. Even grandma is wearing a mask. I have to remind myself next time I go out I need to wear a mask.

 

He then removed his mask but remained it hanging on his left ear. What shocked me was when he looked at me again and smiled.

 

Shocks! What is he doing here? I tried my best to stop myself from touching his mask but I failed. I quickly gixed his mask so it will serve its purpose to cover his mouth. I was shocked when he removed it again after I fixed it.

 

"Wae?" He said in a low voice.

 

What the hell! So he wants his face to be seen then why is he on disguise? He should've wear flashy clothes so he'll gather everyone's attention.

 

I slowly pointed at him I can even feel my forefinger shaking. Am I really this lucky to be in the same place at the same time with Wong Yukhei?

 

"Ya...ya- Yah! Maskeu!" I tried to sound more like korean but I bet it's cringe worthy. Gosh Eury!

 

He smiled and I lost it. Damn he's flashing his flirty smile right in front of me. He put his index finger above his lips. "Sshhh... Nugunga dangsinui mareul deureul su isseuljido moreunikka." (Sshhh... Someone might hear you.)

 

My forehead creased. "Anong sabi mo?" I cant help but to ask him in Tagalog. I suddenly forgot how to speak in English because he spoke to me in Korean and I don't understand a thing. (What did you say?)

 

"That's not Korean, not Chinese, Japanese, and Thai. That's not English also." He pouted. Damn Lucas and his attractive pair of lips. "You're not Korean?"

 

Grandmother handed him his fishcakes. It was placed in two cups. Three on the other one and another three on the other cup. I was about to order for myself when Lucas handed me one of the cups.

 

I got confused, why is he giving his food to me? I looked at him with a big question mark in my head. He smiled at me again. He's not selfish to give a smile to a stranger huh?

 

"It's my treat I saw you a while ago. You're practicing your order." He chuckled. "You're not Korean?" He asked again as I wasn't able to answer him at first due to shock.

 

I shook my head and take the cup of fish cake he was offering. He started eating his even though its still hot. He didn't even bother to blow it before eating.

 

I blew the stick of my fish cake and took a bite. This tastes much better than the ones I can buy in Manila.

 

"Where are you from?" Oh god his english voice.

 

"I'm from the Philippines." I quietly said.

 

"Oh! Pilipin! 127 been there once!" He joyfully said.

 

'Of course they've been there once. I was there.' I thought to myself.

 

Kpop Republic 2. I was actually there for other group. I didn't care about NCT then. I attended that event for N.Flying. But NCT 127 rocked the whole place and I fell in love with them after that.

 

"Thanks for this!" I raised the cup. "I got to go. Thank you so much." I tucked my hair at the back of my ear when the wind blew. Gosh its so cold in here.

 

I bowed at him and then hurriedly left the place. To be honest, as much as I wanted to talk more with Lucas, I cant. I cant risk it. His career, my identity. I still want to go home alive. Korean nctzens were crazy about them. I still remember during the Kpop Republic 2 some fansites were there and one of them hit my head with a camera and it has something sharp in it I don't even know what's sharp with that camera. She didn't even said sorry because she was busy taking pictures of  Winwin. I remember going home with a bleeding head. 

 

I hope Lucas wouldn't mind me leaving him there. I hope it's not disrespectful for him. 

 

I continued walking while eating the fish cake that OH MY GOSH WONG YUKHEI TREATED ME! I looked back at where I came from. It's kinda far from where I'm standing but I can still see the fish cake stall. Lucas isn't there anymore.

 

This fish cake was given to my by Lucas. Should I stop eating this and preserve this and have this framed instead? I saw a bench not too far from me I sat on it and think about what happened a while ago. Wong Yukhei treated me. Xuxi treated me. Lucas treated me.

 

I mean, does he do this to all of his fans? Does he treat everyone fish cakes when he sees them buying and then he'll talk to them after that? What if he encounters die hard fans or sasaengs while buying? That will be a scandal knowing sasaengs they will do anything for their idols.

 

I took another bite of fish cake. When I looked up, I saw a mobile store. I can finally buy a local sim card!

 

I quickly stood up and headed my way to the store. The store bell rang and the salesman looked at me.

 

"Annyeong haseyo!" He greets me with a wide smile.

 

I smiled back in return. "Annyeong! Sir do you have any sim card here?" I immediately asked before he can ask me in Korean.

 

"Ah ne!" He showed me different types of sim cards but I absentmindedly picked one. I don't know anything about the sim cards here so I just picked one. But I made sure it supports 4G/LTE so I can connect to the internet wherever I go.

 

"How much is this?" I asked.

 

"₩66,000." He answered. "Do you want me to insert that on you phone?" He nicely asked.

 

I nodded and handed him my phone. I got it factory unlocked so I don't have any problem inserting any sim cards.

 

I watched him as he removed my Globe sim card and inserted the new one. He fixed my phone and give it back to me right away with my old sim card.

 

I bought the sim which can be used for 30 days since I'm staying here for 25 days. It's really expensive to be really honest. Though it cannot be used for overseas calls but it offers unlimited mobile internet and 100 mins. local voice call which is I think I wont be able to use because I don't have any natives to call. Plus 100 free messages for 30 days which is I wont be able to use too because of the same reason.

 

So I ended up paying ₩66,000 in just a span of 10 mintutes. My my, too expensive for a sim I costs 60 dollars. How much was that in peso? 3,000 plus? For a sim and mobile internet? Now I can finally say that I made the right decision to bring the money I saved from my allowances. I think the pocket money my parents gave me wont be enough if I didn't brought it. If the sim card here was that expensive how much more for the food right?How will I survive for 25 days here? Should I befriend kuya Paul and apply to him as a dishwasher?

 

The only good thing is that dad already paid for my whole stay at the guesthouse. And mind you, the price  isn't kidding with my dad's pocket. He almost scolded me when he found out about the price of my whole accommodation. It reached up to 74k pesos for 25 days and my dad said '74k for 25 days Eury! You owe me that much that's like the price of your tuition for a whole semester' That really marked on my head because dad was really mad.

 

I headed back to the guesthouse because I cant promise myself to stop buying something I like if I see one. I need to budget everything if I want to last here for 25 days. 

 

I checked my watch to see what time it is already. It says 6pm so that only means it's already 5pm the Philippines. I looked up. The sky here is very different from what I'm used to see in the Philippines. I took my watch off to adjust the time to 6p—

 

"Aww!" I fell down to the ground when someone bumped into me. I immediately looked at the hoodie I'm wearing as it starts to get wet. 

 

MAMMA MIA! THE FISH CAKE LUCAS GAVE ME SPILT ON MY HOODIE!

 

I angrily looked at the guy who bumped me and I was shocked to find out that he also fell. He's also wearing a snapback cap like Lucas and he is looking down while holding his cap down.

 

"Mianhae." He stood up really towering in front of me. Should I wear heels next time?

 

"Geuneun ijjogeuro dallyeosseoyo! Jisungie oppa!" (He ran this way! Jisung oppa!) It was a small voice, coming from somewhere not too far away from us.

 

I got alarmed when I heard the name that the girl shouted. He said Jisung right? Is Jisung here? NCT Jisung? That's not impossible, I saw Lucas earlier.

 

I looked at the guy who bumped me and he was looking at me too. He looked so lost and doesn't know what to do. He's not wearing any mask that's why I easily confirmed that he is legit uri maknae Park Jisung.  So he's running because there's someone running after him.

 

Seriously what are these guys doing here? Jisung was about to run again when I grabbed his arm and pull him back to where I brought my sim card. There's no one else buying so it's not dangerous for him to stay here.

 

"Annyeong haseyo!" I heard the salesman as he greeted us again. "Maam?" I looked back at him and just bowed.

 

I looked at Jisung he is looking at me, dumbfounded. I rolled my eyes. 

 

"Gosh were you alone?" I'm upset really. I cant help but to feel worried about him.

 

I'm two years older than Jisung and that makes me her noona. Ever since I became their fan, I immediately had soft spot to every members who's younger than me. I don't know I just wanted to protect them.

 

"Ya! Park Jisung!" I hissed and tried to make my voice smaller.

 

I noticed that he was wearing a jacket thats why I fixed it for him and covered his head with the jacket's hoodie. Damn this boy should be more careful when going out on public.

 

I diverted my gaze outside to check the ones running after Jisung. And just when I was about to go outside, group of girls ran to the opposite side of the shop. They have their mobile phones with them and the other one is carrying a professional camera.

 

"Fans mo?" I asked him. Totally forgot that I should speak to him in English.

 

His eyebrows creased. "F-fans mwo?" OMG HIS VOICE! HOW CAN YOU BE A BABY?

 

I glanced at the salesman, he's not paying any attention to us. "Were they your fans?" I repeated this time in a Language we can both understand.

 

"S-saenggakamnida?" (I think?) Ano daw?

 

"Anong sabi mo?" (What did you say?) Keep going Eury! Did you really think you'll both understand each other? "Mworago? English please!"

 

"I t-think they are my fans..." Unsure? That's okay noona's got your back.

 

"Were you alone?" He shook his head. "Then who are you with?"

 

"Lucas hyung geurigo Mark hyung..." Omg.

 

Mark. I felt my blood rise up. I feel like my face is blushing upon hearing Mark's name.

 

But why in the hell is this child alone? They should be together! Ahh Lucas! Yukhei is responsible for this, he's the eldest.

 

But omg! Mark Lee is with this child. Should I kidnap Jisung?

 

Eury no! That's very saesaengish!

 

********

 

Mel's Note;

 

So, is there anyone in here reading this?