Chapter 4

♫♬♩♪ⓝⓞⓞⓝⓐ ⓘⓢ ⓢⓞ ⓟⓡⓔⓣⓣⓨ ♫♬♩♪

Hello darling (?) readers :D Thank you for ALL for the wonderful comments~ I really liked writing this chappie; Taemin and Onew are soooo extremely sweet together :) (This is a proof just to show you that I can write without including ANY angst :P)

 

Jinki sighed and leaned against the bench, careful not to wake the small boy next to him. It took him a very long time trying to calm him down, hugging him close and rocking him gently to sleep. He had never done anything like that before, but it came quite naturally to him when the boy started crying. He rolled his eyes. Why was he just randomly comforting a boy he didn’t even know? He glanced at him and couldn’t resist ruffling the boy’s luxurious hair. Maybe because it looked like he was going to commit suicide if he left him? He shook his head and frowned, looking at his carefully bandaged hands. Stupid boy, his family must be worried sick… Family huh? He snorted at the thought of HIS so- called ‘family’ being worried about him; they certainly wouldn’t mind if he died – At least he had noona, right? Yeah… she’s the best… noona…

 

…NOONA?!

 

‘!’ He shouted, getting up from the bench and desperately looking for his phone. When he finally found it wedged between his bag and the bench, he grabbed it and quickly speed-dialed number ‘1’. He glimpsed the phone clock and groaned as he saw the flickering digits: 6:42… what happened to 10 minutes?

 

Ring ring… Ring ring…

 

‘Come on noona… pick up the phone!’

 

Ring ring… Ring ring…

 

Ring ring… Ring ring…

 

Jinki swore and kicked the bench, unaware of the wide-awake, big, soft eyes blinking at him under his coat.

 

Ring ring… A tired voice suddenly answered: ‘…Hello..?’

 

‘Ah! Youjin noona!’ Jinki hurriedly said, ‘I’m so sorry that I’m late for the meeting with the boys! I’ll definitely make up for the…’ he checked his watch and grimaced. ‘… For the 2 hours that you’ve been waiting for me!’

 

‘J-Jinki…’  Her voice trembled slightly, a muffled sob heard through the phone.

 

Jinki was horrified, was she really that upset with him? ‘Noona, What’s wrong?!’

 

--------------------------------------

 

Taemin poked his head out of the heavy leather jacket, yawning lightly to himself. He overslept… Kibum hyung isn’t going to be happy at all… He sighed at the almost certain scolding and attempted to get out of the… leather jacket? He blinked slowly, why was he sleeping on a bench under a jacket? Oh yeah… he went out to a trip with noona and his hyungs, right? And… he got lost… and there was red? The memory was blurry, and he couldn’t remember why there were red all over the place. He vaguely remembered looking at something pretty… He frowned in concentration and looked down, suddenly noticing the bandages tightly wrapped around his hands; in an instant, everything clicked.

 

‘Oh no…’ Taemin gasped. He must have sunk into one of his depression stages again – and looking at the situation, it must have been one of the really bad ones… He gulped and pulled the jacket quietly over his head again: Not only did he realize the situation, but he also remembered how it happened; not to mention how angry the boy was… Luckily, he didn’t seem to have noticed that Taemin has woken up. He could hear him swear loudly while kicking the bench he was lying on. Taemin sniffed, the corners of his mouth pulling into a frown. The boy must be really mad at him…

 

‘What? One of the boys disappeared?!’

 

Taemin sighed heavily under the jacket. He could hear the conversation between this ‘noona’ and the boy very clearly – it seemed that a boy his age was missing and they were looking for him… That definitely wasn’t him then. He didn’t have a noona – maybe two hyungs, but not a proper family like they were talking about… He had to admit, he was jealous of the lucky boy; having this many people to worry for him when he was missing. He felt the corner of his eyes burning, but quickly stopped it – he wasn’t a baby anymore; his hyungs probably wasn’t looking for him because they thought that he can take care of himself easily. Yeah, so…all he needed to do was look for them, right?

 

--------------------------------------

 

‘I’ll see you there then noona… No, I’m sure he’ll be fine! Don’t worry, okay?’

 

Jinki heard Youjin taking a shaky breath, ‘Yeah… He’ll be f-fine…’

 

‘Okay noona,’ he said calmly, ‘just stay where you are, okay? I’ll be there in a few minutes… yeah, bye.’

 

Jinki shut his phone and raked his hands through his soft bronze hair. ‘So, that’s a total of two lost boys, hm?’ he murmured.

 

He heard a rustle of clothing behind him, and he turned around to meet the eye of a very guilty looking Taemin. Jinki raised one of his eyebrows and crossed his arms, ‘Where do you think you’re going?’

 

The boy visibly blanched and stood, rooted to the spot. ‘N-Nowhere at all, mister!’ he stuttered.

 

Onew chuckled at his cute expression, ‘Nowhere huh? Well, even if you were going ‘nowhere’, shouldn’t you at least thank me for what I’ve done?’ he teased.

 

‘Y-yes! Of course… Th-Thank you for everything you’ve done for me!’ Taemin bowed at him hastily, almost knocking himself off balance.

 

Jinki smiled and steadied him with one hand, ‘Well, it’s okay… and I won’t ask the reason why you decided to cut your hands open – we just need to go and find your parents…’ He looked at the boy for a name.

 

‘T-Taemin, Lee Taemin, sir!’

 

‘…Taemin, I’m going that way anyway, so let’s go!’ Jinki finished with a satisfied smile.

 

Taemin blinked, ‘Aren’t you mad at me?’

 

‘What, for embedding a large piece of glass into your hands?’ Jinki snorted, ‘I would be – extremely – if I was in the position to, anyway.’

 

‘Y-You’re not going to tell my hyungs, then?’ Taemin asked hopefully, not wanting to face the anger of his two over-protective brothers.

 

‘Hyungs? You came with your brothers?’ Taemin nodded in affirmative at his question. ‘Of course I am telling them –’

 

Taemin’s face fell, his body visibly drooping. ‘Oh…’

 

‘You could’ve been seriously injured, or you could’ve even DIED,’ Jinki’s friendly eyes suddenly narrowed, a displeased expression appearing on his face. ‘You understand that?’

 

The younger boy nodded slowly and sniffed.

 

Jinki softened his expression and gently held Taemin’s uninjured hand. ‘Let’s go.’

 

‘O-okay.’