Jonghyun

Love Trip

[inspired by AKB48 - Koike, a fun song about meeting your ex coincidentally. One of my fav songs from AKB48, do check it if you can <3]

 

It was a very, very hot summer – at least in Minki’s opinion – and Minki felt really frustrated by it. Not only he’s not good with the high temperature, but also his partner in a blind date was so dumb to the extent Minki left him in the park without him knowing. Who would take your date to an open park in the middle of really, really, hot summer?!

Well maybe many people would do that, but Minki didn’t want it. And unfortunately, his date didn’t understand Minki’s preference at all – and that’s why Minki left him without saying anything. He’s too pissed because he’s already failed in 3 blind dates and the too-sunny-sun was irritating him even more. His skin has been burnt since the third day of summer and it ruined his mood so much. Not to mention he gained weight because he always feel hungry in the hot weather – and he hated it. He stomped his feet while pouting unconsciously, and his mind didn’t stop swearing at his bad luck in this summer.

It’s been 4 years since his first love gone – that country, unattractive boy named Kim Jonghyun. His 16th summer felt so gloomy after Jonghyun left, but he got better eventually with some help from his friend. Even though he got better and already felt fine, he still remembered Jonghyun in many ways. Sometimes when he walked down the road that they used to walk together, Minki still tried to search his silhouette – and sometimes if he walked in front of their junior high school, Minki could hear their conversations about bugs and some laughs. Minki couldn’t say that he missed Jonghyun, but everything that he had been through with him were crafted perfectly in his memories and treasured in every single places that had their traces in the past. Sometimes it felt so easy to erase him, but sometimes it felt really hard to forget him – and every time it felt hard to forget, Minki always remember his promise – the promise to become more handsome and find a better person than Jonghyun. He did, he really did become more handsome and he dated many better person than Jonghyun (in some aspects), but not everything went well as he wanted to. He broke up so many times because different reasons – but nothing as hurt as that time when Jonghyun left him.

Minki sighed. Bad mood always made him remember about Jonghyun. What a happy life I had, Minki thought.

He stopped in front of a convenience store and decided to treat himself an ice cream. If nothing could make him happy, he should make himself happy instead. So he stepped in to the convenience store and walked straight to the ice cream corner. He hesitated about which ice cream he should buy because everything looked tasty and he wanted everything. After considering his choice for a while, he decided to buy a Japanese ice cream – Garigari-kun.

He was lining up at the check-out counter while he saw a familiar face walking to the check-out counter too.

That eyes.

That cleft chin.

That nose.

That mouth.

Impossible.

No.

Way.

Kim Jonghyun was walking at his glory with a perfectly fancy haircut – there was no grey oversized hoodie that he liked the most. Jonghyun used a checkered shirt that looked expensive and fitted to his body – his face looked manlier and his built was better.

In short, it was Kim Jonghyun – his first love – with a totally hot look instead of the freak look that he used to have back then.

Minki started to feel it.

Regret.

Minki was sure that he looked like a stupid person – gaping at Jonghyun’s presence because he could see amused but shocked look in Jonghyun’s face. Jonghyun walked to him – Oh my God he’s going to greet me, panicked Minki – with a slight smile that made Minki’s heart beat faster.

Minki cannot believe that Kim Jonghyun could evolve to some… thing… hot like this.

Not even in his dream.

“Minki?”

Minki was sure that he was panicked – so panicked, but he could control his mind and tried to calm his nerves. The way he called me – oh my God it doesn’t change at all, Minki thought, still panicked a little. It feels so nostalgic – even though his looks were upgraded so much, Jonghyun’s voice didn’t change at all. That sweet, kind voice – it’s still the same.

“Oh – hi, Jonghyun!” answered Minki, tried to answer normally. Minki was about to start random conversation with him while he saw a handsome guy beside Jonghyun. The guy looked at them with full interest, and Minki could feel that something’s wrong.

“Hi. Funny to see you here – haha.”

“Jong, who’s this?”

The handsome guy voice sounded so melodic – but Minki couldn’t help but to feel irritated to how the guy called Jonghyun. Jong. It should be his nickname to Jonghyun.

“Ah, let me introduce you two. Minki, this is Minhyun. My… boyfriend. Minhyun, this is Minki. My… old friend. We were close when I still lived here.”

Boyfriend,

Old friend.

Haha. Well it’s understandable.

Who would introduce your ex to your current boyfriend without any preparation anyway?

Not Minki. And obviously not Jonghyun.

That handsome guy – Minhyun – nodded eagerly and stretched his hand. Minki smiled awkwardly and shook Minhyun’s stretched hand while saying nice to meet you to each other.

“You never tell me you have a cutie as a friend! He’s so cute! I should introduce him to Aron!”

“Why should I and why do you want to introduce him to Aron? Stop saying nonsense!” said Jonghyun to his boyfriend. Minki still smiled awkwardly – and after the couple finished their banter, Jonghyun looked at Minki again with apologetic smile in his face.

“Sorry, he’s loud. Are you… alone?”

. Why should he ask something like that?!

Minki hesitated. Should he answer truthfully that he’s alone? But it felt sad and he didn’t want a pity party. Moreover, he didn’t want to feel lost from Jonghyun. He tried to find an answer which would make him didn’t look too miserable but still realistic enough – he didn’t want to take a risk anyway.

His eyes catch a familiar figure in front of the convenience store. Dongho. His best friend for life – Kang Dongho – decided to save his life for God knows how many times. Minki smiled while looking at Dongho’s direction.

“No! Someone’s waiting for me in front of the convenience store. There he is!” said Minki too cheerfully while pointing at Dongho.

“Oh. But you only buy one ice cream?”

, I forgot – Minki cursed in his mind. Think, Minki, think!

“Well, we will eat it together!”

“Waaaaah, they’re so sweet! We should do something like that once in a while, Jong!” Minhyun said excitedly, but Jonghyun didn’t respond anything to Minhyun’s words. He smiled warmly at Minki instead.

“You should get going, then. I’m sure it’s hot outside, you shouldn’t make him wait longer.”

Dumb-founded Minki just stayed silent. Jonghyun responded so calmly – so composedly, and it made Minki felt disappointed.

Just like that? Jonghyun just responded like that?

Nothing more?

No jealousy at all?

No other words?

Nothing?

“Minki?”

Minki blinked and he could see Jonghyun – and his boyfriend Minhyun – were staring at him confusedly.

Well, what did you expect from an ex from 4 years ago who already has new boyfriend, Choi Minki?

Minki tried to smile as natural as he could (but he’s sure it looked hella awkward) and nodded.

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll get going, then. See you!” and with that words, Minki left Jonghyun and Minhyun as fast as he could – paid the Girigiri-kun and walked fast to leave the inconvenience store.

Dongho was talking to his friend while suddenly someone grabbed his hand and forcefully dragged him.

“Hey, what are you—Minki?” Dongho was surprised to see Minki – with Girigiri-kun in his hand, a furious face, and a pair of teary eye. Minki didn’t answer him, he kept dragging Dongho without saying anything until they reached at the park that he left his date earlier. Minki didn’t want to visit the park again – at least not today – but he didn’t have any choices because other place were far from the convenience store and he felt really mad and tired right now.

He needed to rant fast.

“How could he look so perfect?!” Minki shouted when they finally took a seat in a bench. There were enough trees to protect them from the bright, hot sun – and Dongho felt thankful for that because he knew that Minki needed long time to finish whatever problem that happened to him.

“He was like… evolving?! Is he a kind of pokemon that could evolve amazingly?! How could a freak become that perfect?! Magic?! Did he does some magic?! I cannot understand!”

“Minki, who?”

“Kim ing Jonghyun who left me 4 years ago!”

All of Minki’s friends knew who Kim Jonghyun was – because Minki tend to tell them about him as the biggest but simplest break up in my life and somehow, Kim Jonghyun was the only ex that Minki could not forget even after 4 years being separated. Dongho just nodded – knowing it wasn’t the right time to answer Minki’s outburst.

“I should try the long distance relationship back then. Why am I so stupid?! How to find better person after he suddenly came, looking so perfect like that?! I should keep him back then, oh my God. I should’ve kept him back then – at least to be my alternative lover. How could he looks that stunning?!”

Dongho caressed Minki’s shoulder, trying to calm him down. Minki let out a heavy sigh, but apparently his rant hadn’t finished.

“And how could he responded so calm like that? So composed? Why didn’t he feel jealous? And how could he got himself a boyfriend? And why should he ask am I alone or not? Most importantly, what was he doing here with his boyfriend?!”

“Now, now. Calm yourself a bit, Minki. Aren’t you tired, screaming like that?” Dongho said kindly, still caressing Minki’s shoulder. Minki relaxed a bit – but his shoulder was still tense and he still scrunched his face.

“Why he looked so…. damn… perfect… so…. damn… delicious… I swear I’m over him but who could resist him if he looked like that? Tell me,” mumbled Minki to himself. “And that Minhyun… my head is smaller than him, I’m sure. He’s pretty, but I’m prettiest. He’s taller though, but my size is perfect for Jonghyun to cuddle?! I’m better than that guy! Why does Jonghyun date him……… I’m so confused. And surprised. I don’t know what to do.”

“Just accept the truth and reality…. Happily?” suggested Dongho. Minki looked at him sharply and shook his head.

“Happily won’t solve anything!”

“It still help something, though?”

“Can you stop debating me, Dongho?”

“Cannot. It will make you sane.”

“So I’m insane now?!”

“Yes, insane for Kim Jonghyun.”

They both kept silent after that. The weather was still as hot as before – but at least there’s some wind to cool their selves now.

“Why didn’t he say anything… Jonghyun…”

“Well, what did you want him to say?”

Minki paused for a while before answered Dongho’s question.

“Do you miss me? Do you still love me? Can we be together again now I’m finally here? Whatever.”

“You’re the one who’s jealous, Minki.”

“I’m not jealous!”

“You are.”

Minki felt tired to bicker more so he just sighed and leaned his body to the bench. Dongho looked at him and eventually he realized that Minki was crying.

“Minki? Are you crying?” Minki answered by nodding and wiping his tears.

“I don’t know I just… regret… everything. My choices back then, my thinking back then… I regret everything. I wish everything could be better.”

Dongho Minki hair tenderly, concerned. Minki never looked this down ever since Jonghyun left him, and it made Dongho worried.

“Seeing Jonghyun with that Minhyun guy – I don’t know but I feel… I just… triggered. It’s like, I’ve let Jonghyun go because I don’t think he’s my ideal type and he doesn’t look that good anyway… but after seeing him with others… I regret every decisions I made back then.”

“Stop regretting, nothing will change with regrets.”

“Well, you’re right… What should I do, then?”

“Um, I don’t know, what do you want to do?”

“Sitting here while eating Garigari-kun.”

“Okay. Let’s do that."

------------------

“Are you feeling better?” Asked Dongho to Minki who just finished his Garigari-kun.

“Hm. Kinda.”

“What’s with the kinda?”

“I just still… in a bad mood after running into that person.” Dongho sighed and hugged Minki loosely. It was really hot, after all -- hugging wouldn’t help anything to become better.

“But don’t you think he lives nearby? If you run into him like that?” asked Dongho.

“Well… maybe… I don’t know. I don’t want to run into them again, though – it’ll be awkward if we met.”

“Well, if you run into them, just show them that you’re strong and moving on. Suggest yourself, forget Jonghyun and Minhyun for a while.”

“But he becomes so perfect and here I am, lonely and gaining weight, buying Garigari-kun alone. Pathetic. I’m ashamed with myself – I literally said that I will become more handsome and find better person than him but in the end he’s the one who’s fulfilling it! I’m so… desperate…” mumbled Minki into Dongho’s shoulder.

“Hey now, don’t belittle yourself. You’re handsome and perfect, many people are lining up to date you. You’re just too picky.”

“What do you mean that I’m too picky?!” shouted Minki, releasing himself from Dongho’s hug. Minki always become so y when he’s in bad mood.

“You are picky. Just try to date someone, will you?” Dongho answered while Minki’s hair tenderly. Minki always like it when someone is his hair because it calms himself, and it really helps. Minki calmed down after a while and stood up from the bench.

“Well… You’re right. I’ll just pray that I will never meet them again and I’ll try to date someone properly and I’ll lose some weight. Let’s go to your gym, I need to train my body!” said Minki eagerly.

“Who says you need to lose weight? You’re literally a moving bones. You should gain weight instead,” answered Dongho, already stood from the bench too.

“I am not! I need to lose weight. That Minhyun guy looks so lean, I cannot lose. I need to make Jonghyun regret for leaving me.”

“I thought you say you’re better than him and you don’t want to meet them again?”

“Can you just shut up?!”

“Okay, okay. Stop screaming, people are looking.”

“Who cares?!”

“Me, absolutely. Stop, okay?” after that last words from Dongho, Minki pouted and sighed. Seeing Minki’s pouted face, Dongho chuckled and decided to – he lifted Minki up, earning a shocked shriek from Minki.

“What are you doing?! Put me down!!!” yelled Minki while hitting Dongho’s back. Dongho just laughed and kept carrying him.

“You’re so light, don’t lose weight.”

“Kang Dongho!!”

“Stop screaming, will you?”

“Goddamnit I’m going to take a revenge, just you wait!!”

“Wow, I feel threatened.”

“I’m serious!”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”

--------------------------------------------------

Jonghyun and Minhyun was sitting in a bench, enjoying their ice cream while they heard someone’s screaming. Jonghyun thought that the voice was really familiar and he couldn’t help himself to not to look at the source of the scream. Minhyun took a look too, and they were welcomed by a sight of familiar person carried by another familiar person.

Oh.

It was Minki.

And Dongho.

Jonghyun didn’t understand why his heart flinched and he felt kind of irritated.

“Isn’t that your friend? The one that we met earlier in the convenience store?” Minhyun asked, his tone sounded amused. Jonghyun just nodded – he couldn’t take his eyes from the sight.

Minki carried by someone.

Well, that someone is his boyfriend, isn’t it?

That thought made Jonghyun felt more irritated.

“They’re so cute. They look so good together.”

Jonghyun really wanted to refute Minhyun’s opinion but thankfully his logics were still functioning. He shouldn’t feel irritated. He shouldn’t refute Minhyun’s opinion. They really looked good – and Minki looked like he had fun.

He shouldn’t feel jealous.

So Jonghyun nodded and bit his ice cream hardly –

“Well, they are.”

And swallowed his jealousy – together with the ice cream.

 

---------------------------------

ps: sorry if there was some mistakes bcs i wrote this last night and i'm half asleep lol. i tried to edit it but i don't know if i missed something to be fixed or not.

i'm still not sure whether i should make them together again or not. haha

anyway, hope you like it and have a good day! <3