“Do I need a reason to cook for my wife?”

Don't Let Go

 

1 month ago

She looked at the clock on the wall for the umpteenth time. It was two in the morning. Where was her husband? Why wasn’t he home yet? She paced the room nervously. Did something happen? Was he in trouble? She hoped to God he wasn’t and silently prayed for him to return safely soon.

Suddenly, she heard the front door open. She knew immediately it was him. She was about to run out of their bedroom to greet him but stopped when she realised that he wasn’t alone. There were other men with him and they were talking very quietly... too quiet for her to hear.

Bubbling with curiosity, she silently made her way down the stairs. She frowned. The light wasn’t on. Why were they talking in the dark? She stood rooted on the spot and strained her ear. She gave up when she realized that she couldn’t hear a single thing. She dozed off on the stairs for a few times and would’ve slept until morning if her husband didn't bump into her.

“You scared me!” He exclaimed when he turned the light on and saw his wife leaning against the wall, her eyes half closed.

She rubbed her eyes and narrowed her gaze at her husband. “What were you doing?”

“What do you mean?” He asked, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

She knew he always did that when he was nervous and her curiosity piqued. “Why are you home so late? And why did you bring people over? Why were you guys talking in the dark?”

He couldn’t help but laugh at her trail of questions. Had his wife always been this curious? He shook his head before making his way up the stairs, his wife close behind.

“SeungHo, you haven’t answered my question.” She said, crossing her arm expectantly.

“Honey, nothing’s going on. Relax ok?” He said with a soft smile.

She raised her eyebrow. “Really? Then who were those men?”

“They were my seniors. They just wanted to discuss something with me.” He replied with a shrug.

“Discuss what?” She asked as she furrowed her brow. “SeungHo, you better tell me before I go chase those soldiers down.”

SeungHo sighed. There was no denying the fact that his wife was very interested in his army duty. He wondered why. Was she worried about him? Maybe he should just tell him. After all, she was his wife... She’s his other half. He had sworn to secrecy, but telling her would be like telling himself all over again wouldn’t it?

“They’ve given me a mission.” He said finally.

“What?” She asked shocked. “What mission?”

“They heard that the enemy has a document filled with their war plans. They wanted me to steal it.” He replied as if no big deal.

“Are you crazy?” She asked him, horrified. “Do you honestly think I would let you do that? They wanted you to go to enemy ground alone? Without help?”

“I won’t be alone honey. I’ll just be going first, that’s all.” He said, trying to convince his wife.

“No.” She said, shaking her head firmly. “There is no way I’m going to allow you to do that!”

“Honey...” He said, reaching over to hold his wife’s arms. “I’ll be fine. Seriously, please don’t worry.”

“But...” She stammered, fear in her eyes. “But what if... what if something happens and... you...”

“Shh...” He whispered. “Please don’t think like that.”

“But why send you? Isn’t there anyone else? I’m scared SeungHo. You have a daughter... Please don’t do it.” She pleaded with him.

He sighed again. He knew she was worried about his safety. But his loyalty was still to his government. He couldn’t say no, no matter what... How was he to convince his wife that everything would be ok?

“Honestly, I don’t know why they want me to do it either. But I have to. If I steal that document, this impending war won’t happen and opposition will back down.”

“Do you really think you can just march in and steal it? They would have hundreds of guards protecting it you know. You can’t just go in without a plan!”

“I know... I’ll figure something out. But please, don’t worry.” SeungHo begged his wife. “Let’s just let it go for now ok? Let’s not think about it.”

She nodded her head at him before getting to bed next to him. He wrapped his arm around her, hoping she would let it go for now. He closed his eyes and was asleep in mere seconds. She stared at his sleeping face. What did she ever do to deserve someone like him? She must’ve been an angel in the past. She bit her lip as she pondered over their conversation earlier. There was no way she was going to let him go... at least not alone. She would follow him whether he liked it or not. With that thought in mind, she drifted off to sleep.

When she woke up the next morning, her husband was no longer by her side. She made her way sleepily down the stairs when a smell in the kitchen caught her attention. She smiled. Bless him, he was trying to make breakfast! When she appeared in the kitchen, she noticed their daughter sitting in her special chair by the table. She picked her daughter up before standing by her husband, amused by his sudden change in behaviour.

“Morning honey.” He said cheerily after placing a kiss on her cheek.

“Breakfast?” She asked, raising her eyebrow at him. “You never make breakfast.”

“I know... I thought I should do something special for you today.” He replied with a grin.

“Why?”

“Do I need a reason to cook for my wife?”

She shrugged. “That depends... Why are you cooking for me?”

“You forgot?” He asked, surprised.

“Forgot what?” She frowned.

“Babo yah! It’s your birthday today!” He said with a laugh. His wife had never before forgot her birthday... why today?

“Really?” She asked before a smile graced her face. “What did you get for me?”

“I’m sorry... I didn't get you anything this year.” He said, jutting his lower lip in a cute manner. “That’s why I’m cooking you this special breakfast instead.”

She laughed before giving her husband a kiss. “But SeungHo, you can’t cook.”

“That’s no way to talk to your husband.” He said, pretending to be slightly upset. “Isn’t it the effort that counts?”

“Aww... ok ok. I’m sorry.” She apologized. She placed her daughter back in the chair before wrapping her arms around him. Goodness, only God knows how much she truly loves the man! She loved his scent in the morning, his tousled hair and the dark circles under his eyes just emphasized how good looking he truly was. Sometimes, as she lay in his arms at night, she still wondered if this man was truly hers. There was nothing she wouldn’t do for him...  What was more, she knew he felt the same...

“Actually, I already have my present.” She replied with a small smile.

“Really? I don’t remember giving you anything.” He said, puzzled.

She placed her hand on his chest where his heart was beating and looked at him lovingly. “You’ve given me this... you’ve given me a daughter. You’ve given me everything I want...”

At a loss for words, he did the only thing he thought suited the situation best. He gave her the most passionate kiss they ever shared. He tasted her and the sweet love they have for each other. He explored her to his heart’s content before slowly pulling away, the biggest smile on his face.

Their happiness was short-lived however. The war was finally upon them. The enemy had strike. Everywhere she looked, there was chaos. Why is there war? Why was the enemy so adamant on going against the ruling government? Every night she would stay up until he came home. Sometimes, he wouldn’t come home at all, only showing up after 2 or 3 days. When he did return, she inspected him, checking for signs of anything that showed her he was in danger. Every time, he would smile at her and tell her he was fine... But for how long? They had sent off their daughter with his mother a week ago and they had gone off to hiding. The war hadn’t reached their neighbourhood yet but she knew the enemy was fast approaching... They would be here soon.  

“Please go join my mother.” He pleaded with her one night. He was worried about her. When he was off on the battlefield, she would be at home alone. What if the enemy came when he wasn’t there? He was not willing to let her go just like that...

“No.” She replied shaking her head. “I’m staying her with you. There’s nothing you can say to make me change my mind.” And just like him, she was not willing to let him go... 


 

Chapter Posted on: Feb. 3. 2012

Here's the next chapter! Wow... I gotta say, i update fast!!! Hahahaha... =D I'm really pleased with this chapter, I hope you guys are too! Please enjoy! Don't forget to read and comment ok? =D

Once again, to all those who have commented and subscribed, thanks so much! I really appreaciate it! Just wondering though, do I have any silent reacers out there? haha... Feel free to make yourself known~ =D

Btw, I've changed the foreword a little bit... *hint hint* =P go and take a look! =)