Chapter 23

Don't call

Seungkwan handed the joint back to Chan and lay down on the hood of the car with one arm wrapped under his head. “So, why did you invite me out?”

 

Chan took a drag and joined him on the hood, “I just heard Hansol mention how he's working a lot of nights for the upcoming weeks and I thought maybe you wanted to hang. I mean, I know you have other friends, but, no offense, they all seem kind of tightly wound and busy with their own . I'm a bit more chill.”

 

“This might be the first time you and I have hung out just the two of us.” Seungkwan thought out loud.

 

“Yeah, well, I didn't really like you until recently.”

 

Seungkwan lightly punched Chan's shoulder and took the joint from him again, “Ehm, maybe we don't mention this to Hansol? He totally overreacted the last time I did this.”

 

Chan hummed in agreement, “Yeah, he did. As if he doesn't get high. He's been different since he's with you.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“I don't necessarily mean in a bad way or anything. Just different. Then again a lot is different now, I guess.”

 

Seungkwan stared at the sky. He wasn't sure if the weed was kicking in or if it was the gentle wind that calmly pushed the clouds to drift by, but he felt relaxed. Chan was right. He was a lot more chill than his other friends. His mind drifted along and landed on a thought, “Hey, Chan? Can we ask Seokmin to come join us? I feel like he could use some chilling too.”

 

“Sure, he's cool. I'll send him a message. Everything okay?”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Just...yeah.” In actuality Seungkwan wasn't sure if everything was okay with Seokmin. Soonyoung was basically ignoring him without explaining why and the way he had described Seokmin's remaining stress from the assault had Seungkwan a bit worried.

 

“Done.” Chan said and he lay down his brand-new phone next to him on the hood of the car. “No offense, but I hope he doesn't bring Soonyoung. I like him and all, but last time he got up on my car and did an interpretive dance and we weren't even high.”

 

“I wouldn't worry about that. He and Seokmin are working through some things. Or, Soon is at least.”

 

“This is why I'm so glad to be single right now. A lot less drama that way.”

 

“They're not dating.”

 

Chan scoffed, “Not even dating and already so much drama. I get enough secondhand drama from all of you guys.” He picked up his phone again at the notification sound, “OK, he's coming. Should be here in about twenty.”

 

Seungkwan narrowed his eyes into a glare of suspicion, “How can you afford that phone? And this car? Or anything?”

 

Chan shrugged, “I have my ways.”

 

“You always say stuff like that and that your business is your business, but...what exactly does that mean? Didn't you drop out of high school?”

 

“Technically I got kicked out and just decided never to try to get back in anywhere else. Don't see how that's relevant though.”

 

“I just don't get how you can afford any of the things you have. Did you steal it?”

 

The younger man sighed and looked to his side to meet Seungkwan's eyes, “You really want to know how I got this car and my new phone?”

 

Seungkwan nodded. Part of him was hoping Lee Chan was a secret top-class spy (but that might have been the weed thinking).

 

“I won it.”

 

“Won it how?”

 

“Street race. Dumb guy with a better car than me didn't believe me I could still win, so I bet him to give me his car if I did win. I won. Sold my other car. Won a few more races with this one.”

 

“Aren't street races...illegal?”

 

“So is stealing stuff and selling and using drugs.”

 

“Yeah, I guess...so you also sell?”

 

“A bit here and there. A lot less nowadays.”

 

“What kind of stuff do you sell?”

 

Chan looked at Seungkwan for a moment, trying to decide what direction to take this conversation in. “Why? You interested?” He asked, only half joking.

 

Seungkwan looked away and gazed at the sky again, “Do you do anything that isn't illegal?”

 

“Sometimes.”

 

“But, like...what do you want to do in the future?”

 

Chan joined him in looking at the passing clouds. “I don't know. I'm more of a going with the flow kind of guy. Although lately I've been thinking it'd be nice if I don't end up in jail or a drunk like my dad, you know. I'll figure something out.”

 

Seungkwan sighed, “I've never had anyone around me like you. Someone who is just...living life. I mean, Hansol is sort of like that, but I feel like he's struggling with it a bit more than you are. More like, he doesn't know what he wants as opposed to just being fine with whatever the future holds. I mentioned him going to college once and he got kinda mad and just flat-out said no. Like it was a bad thing...”

 

Chan wasn't sure what to say to that. He knew Hansol had enrolled in the local community college but had stopped going, calling it a waste of time.

 

The conversation died down and they both let themselves be mesmerized by the clouds colored by the setting sun. They snapped out of it when Seokmin pulled up on his motorcycle.

 

“Hey, guys!” He said with his usual cheerful demeanor.

 

Seungkwan sat up and leaned forward to hug him, but his arms couldn't quite reach him. He blinked in confusion, but then started laughing. “Have you guys ever noticed how weird arms are? They're like legs but with hands.”

 

Chan snorted, “Hands...”

 

“Wow...I see you guys are way ahead of me on the getting high part. Is there any left?” Seokmin chuckled.

 

“Yeah, lemme just...” Chan said as he struggled to roll of the hood of the car, “...get it from my car.”

 

Seokmin took his place on the hood and lay down next to Seungkwan. “Seungkwan, is everything okay with Soonyoung? I haven't heard from him and-”

 

“NO!” Chan interrupted him and held an already lit joint out to him, “Here. Take this and relax.” Instead of trying to get back onto his car he lay down onto a nearby patch of grass. “Guys, this grass...grass...is so...grass, you know?”

 

Seungkwan slid off the hood and also lay down on the grass, soon joined by Seokmin. He brushed his hands through the grass. “Wow. Grass.” They all lay in awe of the wonder that is grass for awhile. But of course the high didn't last. It started to wear of after some time and with it their appreciation for grass.

 

“It's getting kind of cold. I think I'm going to head back.” Seokmin said as he sat up, “Me and Wonwoo are trying to figure out what to do for Jeonghan's birthday.”

 

Seungkwan groaned as he got himself to sit up too. “Oh, it's his birthday?”

 

“Well, it's not until a couple weeks from now. But we don't know what to do. Normally he drops very obvious hints about what he wants, but he doesn't seem to be into it this year. Hao thinks he wants us to just ignore his birthday. So he's basically no help as far as party planning goes.”

 

“Is it because of the whole Jihoon situation? Just because the guy is in jail doesn't mean you guys have to put your lives on hold with him.” Chan weighed in.

 

Seokmin sighed and nodded, “It's just going to be weird without him there. No matter what we do. The whole situation is just so messed up. I've know him like forever, but...I just don't know anymore. The last time I talked to him we had a fight and now I don't know what's going on with him, you know? Does he expect us to wait for him? Does he even want us to wait for him? Maybe he thinks I'm useless and just hopes I'll be gone by the time he's released...”

 

“I'm sure that's not true.” Seungkwan reached out and placed a hand on Seokmin's arms. He looked up at him with eyes that were wet with unfallen tears.

 

“Why? I haven't talked to him since we had that fight. I know I'm not like Hao or Jeonghan or even Wonwoo. They all have a personality or skills that match with him in some way. That fit in with who he is and what he does. I'm not useful to him. I used to think being loyal to him and being his friend was enough, but...I just don't know anymore.”

 

“Can't you visit him in jail or something?” Chan asked.

 

“No. You can't just go and visit someone. You need to be put on the visitors' list and stuff. Jeonghan said there is some administrative issue, but I know he said that because he felt bad. Jihoon just doesn't want to see us.”

 

“Seokmin. Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you friends with him? You don't seem like the type of person who would become friends with a guy like him.” Seungkwan asked.

 

Seokmin sniffed. “We met when we were kids. I guess I don't really know why we became friends exactly. Sometimes kids just become friends, don't they?”

 

“Okay, let me put it this way...” Chan asked, “...why are you still his friend? After all this time?”

 

“He's not such a bad guy as you all think. He's kind to the people he cares about, he just doesn't always show it. He...he always had my back, he laughs at my jokes, he gets upset when I second-guess myself, he...” Seokmin bit his lip and held back the tears. “I just miss my friend and I know this sounds childish, but I want him to miss me too. I want him to tell me what exactly happened and I want to be able to see that he's still the same person. The one that looks mean and cold to people who don't know him, but who is caring and a good person at heart.” He stood up and took a deep breath of air. “Anyway, this isn't helping me figure out what to do for Jeonghan's birthday. Thanks for the hang guys, but I think I'm really going to go home now.”

 

Seungkwan and Chan looked at each other, but neither of them really seemed to know what to say. They didn't know Jihoon like Seokmin did and probably knew even less about the whole situation than he did.

 

“Maybe you can talk to Jisoo or Seungcheol? They're kinda close with him now, right? Jeonghan, I mean.” Was the only thing Chan could think of.

 

Seokmin smiled, “Yeah, I might do that. Thanks.”

 

They watched him drive away and headed back to Chan's car.

 

“I don't care what Seokmin says. I think Woozi is an and the fact that he doesn't want to talk to any of them just tells me that there's something he doesn't want them to know. Like he did something bad. I think it would be best if they all just moved on from that dude.”

 

Seungkwan got in the passenger's seat and put on his seat belt. He wasn't sure what kind of person Jihoon was. But the way he had gotten to know more sides of all of the Daebak members showed him that they weren't at all who he had thought they were. Maybe the same was true for Jihoon.

 

<>

 

Mingyu heard Minghao's motorcycle pull up on the driveway. He had asked him to come, but now that he actually came Mingyu started to doubt if he'd really be interested in what he had to say. He could have just told him over the phone, but somehow he had wanted to tell him this in person. The door opened and Minghao walked in. His long bangs covering the best part of his eyes. He walked over to Mingyu and leaned against the table. He didn't say anything, but Mingyu had gotten used to the fact that Minghao was a man of few words and understood that he was waiting for him to explain why he had called him over.

 

“I, ehm, actually it's not a big deal, but I got this today.” He handed him the letter he had received that morning. His artwork that had been displayed at a small gallery had been selected as a finalist in an art competition and would be on display at another location. Minghao took the letter from him and as he read it something extraordinary happened. Minghao's lips curled up into a smile. An actual, real smile. Mingyu had never seen him smile like this before and he could feel the warmth radiating from that smile spread all throughout his body. He was drawn to it. He wanted to be closer to it.

 

“Mingyu, that's great.” Minghao looked up at him and found him staring. “Mingyu?”

 

“I...I think this is the first time I've seen you smile like this.” He got closer. “It's beautiful. You're beautiful.”

 

Minghao felt his face flush. He froze at the touch of Mingyu's lips. Despite what all of their friends seemed to think, they hadn't actually kissed before. Between Minghao's refusal to acknowledge his feelings and Mingyu's tendency to be an awkward romantic, it just hadn't happened. But it was happening now. Without losing the connection Minghao got up from the table, his face gently being held by Mingyu's hands. The kiss seemed to flip a switch inside of Minghao's head. He pulled away and looked at Mingyu with dark eyes and a slightly smug smirk on his face, “, you're hot.”

 

With a swift movement Minghao switched their positions and Mingyu landed with his on the table The other man hungrily found his lips again. Mingyu was slightly taken aback by the sudden brazenness with which Minghao ripped his shirt open. He got completely caught up in the feeling of the hands on his body and the kisses that left him breathless. He didn't even hear his phone go off. Again and again. It wasn't until Minghao pulled back again and asked him if he could just mute his phone already that Mingyu actually noticed. He reached for his phone on the edge of the table. His eyes widened as he saw why his phone had been going off.

 

[KIM MINGYU STOP IGNORING ME!!! YOUR DAD IS HERE! ]

 

In a panic, Mingyu clumsily gestured Minghao to get off him and he started to button up his shirt. “ . How do I explain to him where I was, what I'm doing. He can't see my studio.”

 

Minghao picked up Mingyu's phone and read the messages. All from Seungkwan. “The first message is from like thirty minutes ago. Your dad might have walked in on us and you're worried about him seeing your art?”

 

If possible Mingyu's eyes got even bigger, “, do you think he came down here!?”

 

“What if he did? Would that really be so bad?” Minghao reached up and tried to fix Mingyu's hair. He knew Mingyu's father didn't care about his art, but he couldn't understand why Mingyu let it bother him so much.

 

“You don't get it, Hao. He doesn't approve of anything I do. He wants me to just study and become like him.” He sighed, “I guess I'll just go up there and see what he wants.”

 

“Hey, Mingyu? Why don't you show him this letter? He might surprise you. If he doesn't, him.”

 

Mingyu hesitantly took the letter. He already knew he wasn't going to show it to his father. Anytime he had tried to mention his love for art and painting to his father it got brushed off as a useless hobby.

 

He hurried up the stairs and opened the door to the living room to find his father standing there with his back to him, talking to Seungkwan.

 

“Dad? What are you doing here?”

 

His father turned around and had a friendly smile on his face. “Oh, Mingyu. I didn't know you were here.”

 

“You didn't? Then why are you here?” Mingyu wasn't sure what to make of this situation. His father didn't seem upset in any way.

 

His father nodded his head in Seungkwan's direction, “I came to see Seungkwan, actually.”

 

“Mr.Kim wanted to see how I was doing and he, eh,”

 

“I offered him a job. Nothing interesting, just some administrative thing at my office. Only part-time of course. I don't want to take too much time away from his studies. Ayway, I was just leaving.” He held out his hand for Seungkwan to shake, “So I'll see you next Wednesday at my office, yes?”

 

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.”

 

“I'll walk you out...” Mingyu said, still not sure what was happening. He crossed eyes with his friend but that left him none the wiser.

 

“Why did you offer Seungkwan a job?” Mingyu asked as they were walking down the stairs.

 

“Well, I've heard a bit about how his parents have been treating him. Not from them of course. They like to pretend none of this is going on. But you know how people talk. Seungkwan is a good kid. He always works hard and I know how he helps you study. I just thought he might be interested in earning some money to become more independent.”

 

“And you don't think he can do that on his own?”

 

“Why do you always think negatively of everything I do, Mingyu? Seungkwan accepted my offer and he was smart to do so. He needs to think about what to do with his future now that his father won't allow him to take over. In the meantime he should focus on his study and building up some savings so he won't need to ask anyone for help.”

 

“Why do you always try to push what you think is best for the future onto everybody?”

 

“Don't be dramatic, son. I'm just thinking about what's best.”

 

What you think is best Mingyu thought to himself. His father always did this. Offering solutions and help in a way that Mingyu was never sure was actually coming from a good place or from a need to wiggle his way into every aspect of Mingyu's life.

 

They stepped outside and Mingyu was glad his father didn't ask more about what he had been doing downstairs. He had almost forgotten Minghao was probably still waiting for him inside when his father stopped and eyed the motorycle parked out front.

 

“I didn't know any of you drove a motorcycle.”

 

“Ehm, we don't really. Well, Hansol does.”

 

“Hansol? Seungkwan's boyfriend? I didn't see him in there.”

 

“Yeah, no, this one isn't his.”

 

“So whose is it?”

 

“Nobody's. Shouldn't you be getting home or something?” Mingyu started to panic. His father would surely never approve of him hanging out with someone like Minghao. Let alone him make out with him amidst his art. Luckily his father didn't press the subject further.

 

“Have you talked to your sister recently?”

 

“Not really.” He and his younger sister weren't on bad terms at any rate, but to say that they had drifted apart somewhat wouldn't be inaccurate.

 

“She's doing very well in her classes, you know.”

 

“I'm sure she is. She was always the smart one.”

 

“You're smart too, Mingyu. You just have to apply yourself. Focus.” He placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a light squeeze, “Come over for dinner tomorrow, Mingyu. Your sister is bringing over her new boyfriend. He's a very fine young man.”

 

Mingyu waited for his father's car to disappear down the road before he went back inside. Most interactions with his father left him feeling deflated and today was no exception. He walked back into his studio. The kisses he shared with the man still waiting for him seemed far away like a dream.

 

“What did he want?”

 

“Nothing. He came to see Seungkwan.”

 

“Did you tell him?”

 

“No.”

 

Minghao didn't say anything else, but Mingyu could tell he was disappointed in him. He probably thought he was weak. He was weak. Weak and spineless.

 

“Sorry, ehm, I think I'm going to go study for a bit. I have an important exam next week.”

 

Minghao looked at him without a clear expression on his face, “Okay. Whatever.”

 

“Sorry...” Mingyu mumbled, but still loud enough for Minghao to hear.

 

“Do whatever you want. I have to get to work anyway.”

 

<>

 

Jeonghan stepped out of the elevator that opened into Seungcheol's loft. He was greeted by him and a kiss on the cheek. “I brought wine.”

 

“Oh, let me take that.” Seungcheol held out his hand to take the bottle from him, but Jeonghan was already making his way over to the kitchen island.

 

“I'll do it. You just sit down.”

 

Seungcheol shook his head, “You're not at work. You don't have to pour us our drinks.”

 

“What if I want to pour you your drinks?” With a soft pop he uncorked the bottle. He walked over to the sitting area with the bottle and three empty wine glasses. He set two of the glasses down on the coffee table with care and started to pour the first glass. “I've spent hours pouring drinks and making conversation with desperate housewives and singles, so please just let me pour a nice glass of wine for two people I actually like.” He handed the, now filled glass, to Jisoo with a wink. He picked up the second glass and poured slower than before. “So, the weirdest thing happened at work today.” He handed the second glass to Seungcheol and made sure their eyes met before he continued. “Hojin, the co-worker I slept with, suddenly quit.” He took the last glass and poured one for himself. He stared down on the sofa his two lovers were sitting on, his eyes locked onto Seungcheol. “You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you Cheollie?”

 

“I, eh...”

 

“Because he seemed to be under the impression that you gave him money under the condition that he'd quit.” Jeonghan's smirk was teasing and his eyes glistened darkly as he took a sip from his wine. Jisoo on the other hand was less amused.

 

“Is that true, Seungcheol? Did you give him money so he wouldn't work with Jeonghan anymore?”

 

“He didn't have to take it. It's not like I threatened him.”

 

Jeonghan put down his glass and walked closer until he stood right in front of Seungcheol, “You could have just asked me to not sleep with him again and I would have been a good boy and listened. In a way...” He leaned down, “...it's kind of y how you can show up and make a guy quit just like that.” He took Seungcheol's drink from him and put it on the table so he wouldn't have to worry about it when he straddled his lap. His lips were almost on his when Jisoo clicked his tongue in annoyance and Jeonghan looked over at him, “You disagree, baby?”

 

Jisoo stood up and looked down at the pair on the couch, “How can you be okay with this!? Seungcheol, how can you think it's okay to use your money to get someone to quit their job just because he's slept with Jeonghan? And Jeonghan, how can you be okay with this possessive jealousy bull? Let alone be by it?”

 

Jeonghan climbed off of Seungcheol's lap and stood up to meet Jisoo's eyes, “Oh come on, baby, he only did it because he didn't want to share me with anyone but you.”

 

“And you don't see a problem with that? I mean, don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy about you working with that guy either, but...”

 

“Jisoo, hon, you're making too big a deal out of it. We both weren't happy with that guy sniffing around Jeonghan. I offered a solution that helped everyone.” Seungcheol tried to calm him down, but from the look on the other man's face he only made things worse.

 

“You know what, why don't you two go and enjoy your night. I'm going home.”

 

“Jisoo, come on.” Seungcheol stood up too, but Jisoo wasn't having it.

 

“No. I need a break from the way you two always try to manipulate everything.” You...” he looked at Seungcheol, “...with your money. And you...” he looked at Jeonghan, “...with your body.” He grabbed his coat and headed for the stairs.

 

Jeonghan sighed, “I don't know why he's so upset. Isn't manipulating things with my body kind of my thing? And he wasn't complaining about your money last week when you paid for that private spa.”

 

“Should one of us go after him?”

 

“I think...” Jeonghan said as he pushed him back onto the couch and went right back to straddling him, “...we should give him some space tonight, call him tomorrow, and for now do what he said.” He leaned down to catch Seungcheol's lips in a wet kiss, “Let's enjoy our night.”

 

***

 

Seungcheol lay on top of his bed. Jeonghan had his head on his chest and was breathing slowly in his sleep. Neither of them had bothered putting any clothes on. With the hand that wasn't wrapped around Jeonghan he reached for his phone. No messages from Jisoo. He wondered if he should send something. But maybe Jeonghan was right. Maybe it was better to wait until morning.

 

It was weird, Seungcheol thought as he looked at the sleeping Jeonghan, this had been the first time where it was just them. Seungcheol couldn't quite put his finger on it, but something about it felt so different. Incomplete, almost, without Jisoo there too. He tried to ignore the feeling that when he had been with just Jisoo, it hadn't felt the same kind of weird. Perhaps it was because Jeonghan was so much more focused on the physical, leaving very little room for the emotional. Jeonghan still had that wall around him and Seungcheol didn't know how he or Jisoo could break it down.

 

<>

 

Jihoon sat in the visitation room waiting for the other person to show up. He'd better get here quick or he was sure to change his mind about the whole thing. He hadn't talked to anyone for months. Phone calls ignored, letters left unanswered. Now his friends seemed to have given up. The last communication from Jeonghan was short and direct, telling him that he hoped Jihoon would talk to him but he would stop trying for now.

 

Finally the door opened and the young man sat down across from him on the other side of the thick plastic partition.

 

“Did you tell anyone you were coming here?” was the first thing that came out of Jihoon's mouth.

 

“Is that really how you want to start this conversation?” Seungkwan replied.