Shim Changmin is failing

Beautiful Truth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

RILIE (JANUARY, 2011) 

 

      “... Some students simply take this opportunity for granted while the others put in their utmost effort to earn their spot here.” The professor strolls casually up the aisle, stopping just a few steps across from my seat. I stop typing and glance over to the spot he stood—he is intently staring at the tall boy, frowning, as he is furiously texting away.

      Of course. I roll my eyes, looking back at my notes. Mr. Celebrity never gets a break.

      Professor A clears his throat. “Some people here, simply don’t understand why they are here and lack focus.”

      Focus. My chemistry professor loves that word, especially when it comes to the course he teaches. He loves the subject that he has devoted himself to, and he grants equal respects to those who are serious about science. He doesn’t emphasize student-professor courtesy—sometimes I forget that he’s almost twice my age, because he’s always so reposeful and easygoing with life, that it seems time never had an impact on him. I adore his classes. I adore chemistry. I feel equally offended that someone can be sitting here and show contempt to science.

      I sneak a quick glance at the preoccupied boy again: he isn’t even remotely aware of Professor A’s presence.

      It isn’t until he deliberately and very loudly clears his throat again, twice, that he tears himself from his phone.

      “Oh, sorry,” he apologizes timidly. “I didn’t know cell phones aren’t allowed in class.”

      “It’s not the cell phone that’s the problem, Shim Changmin.”

      “I’m sorry. I’ll pay more attention next time—Actually, I will pay attention right now.”

      “Well then,” Professor A said slowly, turning to the board, “can you generate a complete synthesis for this organic molecule from single-bond hydrocarbons?”

      Changmin stares back at him blankly.

      “Can you name the compound?”

      Silence again.

      Professor A sighed and gives his half-exasperated-half-awkward glare. He opens his mouth to continue speaking, but the bell interrupts him.

      Students all around sluggishly begin to gather their belongings, seeming to have enjoyed the show. The fact that an international celebrity has enrolled in university already makes the campus a zoo. This, topped by the fact that this celebrity gets in trouble every day in makes this class a real-life cirque du freak.

      “Okay, finish the synthesis, and au revoir.” Professor A says tiredly, turning away to wipe the whiteboard.

      With my lap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter