Delivery

Synthetic Love

.

 

 

 

"Hakyeon, did you order something online again?" Taekwoon began his complaint on the phone to his friend on the other line.

"Um, why you ask?" Hakyeon answered innocently.

"Because there's a big metal container in the middle of my living room floor, and I don't remember ever ordering something like this. Plus your name is on the order slip." Taekwoon was looking at the order form that came with the package. "But why's my name in the recipient line?"

"Oh, it came already!" Hakyeon sounded giddy. "You didn't open it yet, did you?"

Taekwoon raised his eyebrow at the question. "No. Why would I?"

"Great! Just wait for me. I'm coming over." Hakyeon hung up before Taekwoon could say anything more.

Within two minutes Hakyeon arrived at Taekwoon's place. No surprise since he lived in the same building and on the same floor as his friend just down the hall. "Wow, it is a big metal container." He gawked.

"We've established that. Now what the heck is it for?" Taekwoon asked, a little annoyed that this big thing has taken up half his living room space. Plus he kicked his feet on it a couple times just trying to get around it.

"Happy birthday!" Hakyeon suddenly cheered.

Taekwoon looked at him from the corner of his eyes. "My birthday isn't in six months."

"Oh, right. Okay, fine." Hakyeon gave up the act but kept on a smile. "Taekwoon, do you remember a couple weeks ago you said how you wished you had a lover?"

"Yea? Don't tell me there's one in there." Taekwoon said it as a joke. But Hakyeon took out a metal crowbar from behind his back out of nowhere and grinned.

"Whoa, what the hell!?" Taekwoon stepped away as Hakyeon tried to open the big metal container with the crowbar. 

When it did open Taekwoon was freaked by the sight of a body wrapped in plastic. "OH MY GAWD!" He jumped backwards into the safety of his couch.

Hakyeon looked carefully at the body in the big metal container. "Ahh sh*t!" he cursed. "It's male. I ordered a female."

Taekwoon peeked over a sofa cushion he was holding on to. "Hakyeon, please tell me that's a mannequin."

"It's not a mannequin. It's a LoverBot." Hakyeon pulled some of the plastic away from the body.

Feeling it seems safe now Taekwoon went over to take a closer look at the specimen in the metal container again. "What's a LoverBot?"

"Just touch it," Hakyeon said, like it's the simplest thing.

Taekwoon hesitated at first then went to poke the side of the LoverBot's lightly tanned cheek and felt its silvery blonde hair. Then he snapped back. "It feels like a real person." And he had a thought. "Wait, Lover-Bot. Ro-Bot. It's a robot?"

"Yup, I was online shopping a couple nights ago and saw this popup-ad and it made me think of you. And it even said there's a one-month free trial. So I ordered one for you," Hakyeon said all proudly.

"Okay, I just got two questions." Actually Taekwoon had a lot of questions but he really wanted to ask this one first. "Were you drunk? And why did you order me a male LoverBot?"

"Does it matter? Wait, a minute okay." Hakyeon shuffled around the big metal container and found the order form. "Damn, I checked the wrong gender. And maybe I had a beer or two?" He grimiced.

"You idiot," Taekwoon mumured.

"So what do you want to do with it?" Hakyeon asked.

"I'm not doing anything with it," Taekwoon vented. "The thought of having a robot lover is just crazy and creepy."

"Okay, okay, I get it." Hakyeon fanned his hands like it was going to calm the other down. "Let me just check on their return policy." Hakyeon looked around the container, but Taekwoon was the one who found something. "Did you find it?"

"To begin boot up, give your LoverBot a kiss." Taekwoon had apparently found the instruction manual.

"You want to start him up?" Hakyeon stretched his head, confused.

"NO," Taekwoon blurted. "I don't know." Then he thought about it. "I haven't seen a robot that looks so much like a real human before. It's like something right out of the movies."

"You want to try turn it on?" Hakyeon smiled nervously. "Cuz now I'm kind of curious too."

"Alright, then you kiss it," Taekwoon suggested.

"Me? Why not you? I gave him to you. Unless you're scared," Hakyeon challenged the other.

"I'm not scared," Taekwoon said, since he wasn't the type to back down easily.

"Then do it." Hakyeon pushed the other towards the body in the container.

"I'm going," Taekwoon said before glaring back at his friend. He turned back to the LoverBot in front of him. Taking a deep breath, Taekwoon then leaned in and gave it a peck on the cheek before quickly backing away. Afterwards he just stared at it along with Hakyeon by his side. "Nothing's happening."

"Maybe you need to kiss him on the lips," Hakyeon suggested.

"NO WAY!" Taekwoon hit Hakyeon hard on the shoulder for coming up with that idea. Although he had to wonder. "You think that'll work better?"

Hakyeon shrugged. "Try."

"This is so wrong," Taekwoon said, but he was moving closer to the Loverbot again. Just when he was puckering up his lips ready to go these glowing purple hooded eyes were staring back at him. "AHH!" Taekwoon screamed and he ran when the completly LoverBot (the rest of the plastic and wrapping previously covered its other parts) got out from its container.

Hakyeon was screaming too. "AHH, IT'S ALIVE!" While he hid behind the couch as it approached him. "Please don't kill me," he begged but the LoverBot didn't seemed to be interested in him and walked away.

Taekwoon came back to the living room to have the LoverBot come towards him this time. "Stop." He put his hand up. "Don't come any closer. Put these on first." Taekwoon threw a grey hoodie and matching pair of tracker pants at him then turned his head away.

"You are so caring, my love," said a deep voice.

"My love?" Taekwoon turned to look back at the now fully clothed being that just came out from the big metal container.

"Yes, my love," the being answered him.

"Stop calling me that." Taekwoon frowned.

"My darling." The LoverBot tried another nickname.

Taekwoon made a face. "Eww, no."

The LoverBot tried this time with a smile. "Honey."

"I'm not a bee." Taekwoon thought this was getting weird.

But the LoverBot continued... "Sweetie."

Taekwoon gave up. "My name is Jung Taekwoon."

"Jung Taekwoon. Nice to meet you, Taekwoon. You are so cute. I want to hug you." The LoverBot had a big smile as he approached the other.

"Wait, don't come any closer." Taekwoon kept backing up until he was in the next adjacent room which was his open kitchen. No matter, because the LoverBot still captured him in the end.

"Sorry to interrupt." Hakyeon finally came out from his shock and had walked to the door. "But I have wake up early tomorrow so I better get going. Bye."

"Hey, don't go, Hakyeon, you traitor!" Taekwoon shout, while still trapped in the LoverBot's embrace.

"Sorry," Hakyeon mouth as he dashed out the door.

So Taekwoon was left alone in the arms of a LoverBot which he can't bring himself to look at in the face. Plus there was this awkward feeling. "It's strange, you're warm. I thought robots are suppose to be cold and hard."

"My body has an internal heater and my outer layer is is made of insulated synthetic skin," the LoverBot replied.

"I see." Taekwoon didn't really excepted an answer like that. "Now can you let go of me?" He began to struggle to get out.

It obediently released Taekwoon. "Will you go out with me?" it said and blinked.

"You got to be kidding me." This was too weird for Taekwoon, and he was starting to get tired. "It's late. I need to sleep."

"Can I sleep with you?" the LoverBot asked.

Taekwoon had a straight answer for that. "NO. You are staying in the living room tonight." He scretched his head, frustrated. "Tomorrow I'm figuring out how to return you."

"Are we breaking up?" it asked with a sad look and pout.

Taekwoon doesn't want to deal with that look right now. "Yes, good night," he replied, then went into his bedroom and shut the door behind him. Taekwoon proceed to fall back on his bed. "Please let me wake up tomorrow and have this be just some weird dream."

 

 


________________________________________________________

Story was inspired by Absolute Boyfriend (Jdrama, which I watched years ago) and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (Cdrama, I watched months ago). But I just started writing since VIXX recently did a song for Are You Human? (Kdrama, havent watch yet, but curious).

*If you like the story please upvote.
**If you want to continue following the story please subscribe.
***If you want updates sooner please comment.

****Also, check out my other fic [ Overstepping ]

Thank you for reading!

 

 


.