elusive canvas

Solar Eclipse EunHae Exchange & Fest 2018
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae has always loved art, people often even went as far as saying his face was a work of art.

In a world where your soulmate can write on their skin and have it show up on yours, was something he thought as wonderful.

Unfortunately, he absolutely had no talent compared to his soulmate.

His soulmate drew pictures everyday, they were lovely, flying birds that spanned across his torso that almost seemed like they really could fly off.

Compared to his own notes, it almost seemed embarrassing the contrast between the two. Donghae would only write notes to remind himself.

Although he’s sure that his soulmate wouldn’t appreciate notes to dye his hair or wear black underwear. So he writes notes so obscure that even he forgets the original message the note was supposed to be.

Since he’s turned 18 and was assigned a soulmate he’s taken pictures of every single drawing his soulmate has drawn on his skin.

He wishes that they were a little forthcoming with their location or even their name, but Donghae feels like they’re a private person and doesn’t want to push them further.

Donghae doesn’t mind his soulmate using their body as their canvas, little drawings, big pictures, often they’re small enough that they can be covered while he’s modelling. But occasionally it’s just his luck that they’re too large that the stylists has to work around it.

While he does feel sorry for the stylists, he hesitant to tell his soulmate to stop because he wants to wear their drawings proudly on his skin. Especially if he’s the only one that can see it.

It helps keep him a little closer since he knows his soulmate is Korean, just like him but probably living somewhere in South Korea. Too far for him to reach from the tiny country of Japan.

So it’s safe to say he’s surprised that his agency wants him to do a shoot with drawings on his skin. Even bringing in a specific artist whose art style they like.

A man with silver hair introduces himself, “Hello, my name is Eunhyuk,” and Donghae can’t help but let out a small smile at the fitting name.

Donghae is a beat too slow to introduce himself so Heechul does it for him. “That’s Donghae, why don’t you two go get some coffee and talk over the designs?”

Heechul’s voice leaves no room for argument and Eunhyuk leaves the room first, only tossing the word bye behind him. Donghae follows but not shooting Heechul an annoyed look.

 They’re silent while walking to the nearest coffee shop, Haru and One Day. Donghae only pointing towards the general direction they need to go.

Once inside, it’s pretty empty since it’s past lunch time. Eunhyuk orders an iced chocolate and motions for Donghae to order as well so he can pay for the two of them.

They grab a table and Eunhyuk immediately pulls out a large sketchbook from his bag.

“Do you want to have a completely new, original design?” Eunhyuk starts, but feels his phone vibrating and says, “Sorry I need to take this, you can look through the book though.”

Although Donghae has permission to look through he doesn’t feel comfortable and instead waits for him to return.

When Eunhyuk does return they fall into an easy conversation, not talking about the designs first but rather each other’s interests. They’re both surprised at how simple it is to keep the conversation flowing.

An hour passes before they realize they should plan out the design. Eunhyuk asks, “Did you look through my sketchbook before?”

Donghae seems a little embarrassed before saying he hadn’t, “I didn’t want to look through it without you there.”

“Ah, it’s okay. I think there’s only one other person that has seen them. They’re really nothing special.” Eunhyuk smiles before opening to a blank, fresh page. “Well the theme for this month is Personal, do you have something you’d like me to draw to represent you?”

Donghae goes into detail about how his perfect tattoo would be blue waves, an inversed triangle that only has the lines broken by a black and white tiger.

“Your perfect tattoo does sound perfect for you. Why not actually get it done?” 

He hums as he thinks about his answer, “Well I’m only 21, and I’m not really sure if I want to permanently get inked. I also haven’t met my soulmate yet and I don’t know if my perfect tattoo is something they could see on themselves forever.”

“That’s considerate of you.” Eunhyuk checks the time on his phone and sees that it’s almost 5, “I’ll draw up some sketches tonight and text them to you. Can I see your phone?”

Donghae becomes a little flustered at the innocent request because his lock screen is actually a shirtless picture of himself with his soulmate’s latest drawing across his torso.

He doesn’t want the other male to think he’s vain, but he also doesn’t want Eunhyuk to see his soulmate’s drawings for some reason.

“Here I’ll just give you mine,” Eunhyuk wordlessly passes the phone over. His wallpaper is just a colourful picture that clearly belongs to something bigger; and Donghae can’t help but think he’s seen those colours before.

Later that night, Eunhyuk finishes his sketches much quicker than Donghae was expecting, and with such detail too. Admittedly, earlier Donghae had shyly mentioned that he hadn’t seen the other’s work before and now he’s blown away.

The sketches already have great detail, each one better than the last. Eunhyuk sent three drawings and while the last one shows the most growth, he’s drawn to the second one. They’re all similar to each other but the only difference that the second one has is that the triangle is silver instead of black.

The other two have black triangles and while that was part of Donghae’s original vision, he can’t help but want the silver there as well. Thinking that if he were to get it tattooed, he’d want it with silver ink as well.

He confirms with Eunhyuk that he’d like to go with the second choice and he replies back not a minute later and he’s kind of shocked at the other’s quickness. Donghae always takes forever to reply, and that’s only if he does reply.

He asks Donghae to come a bit earlier, so he can prep his skin as well do a patch test on his skin just to make sure he won’t break out into any rashes or hives.

They agree on the time and wish each other a good night.

Unbeknownst to the other, they both find th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter